Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/9/2021 9:16:56 PM EDT
Bought a new truck recently(F350 7.3L Master race). Will keep it for 7-9 years / 200-300k miles so I really want to take good care of it.

It idles a lot since I use it as a mobile office. Typical work day is a 1-1.5hr drive to site, 13hrs or idling, 1-1.5hr drive home. Sometimes when staying in remote locations it might only be a 10min drive, 13hrs idle. When it’s really cold (-30c or colder) I will just let it run 24/7.

My question is, when should I change oil based on hours? I dumped it at 1k miles and 65hrs and just did it again at 327hrs (200 idle hrs) and 5k miles.

I’m running Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 and OEM filters, I’m of the mindset oil is cheep, engines aren’t.

I know it has a Oil life monitor but I don’t like going by that, for the sake of this thread let’s pretend it doesn’t exist.

Can someone please tag our resident oil expert @foxtrot08, I don’t know how. (Maybe I just did? Idk)
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Take an average of 48 miles per hour.

So hypothetically.  If you wanted a 7500 mile ish oil change, you would go around 150-160 hours.

9000 mile would be 180-190 hours.

Etc.

I change my engine oil via hours more than miles anyways. I go about 150 hours in my F150.

So you went about 10000 miles if you were driving. At a 200hr oil change.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe ford says every idle hour is equivalent to 25-33 miles, so if you want to change your oil every 10k miles, change it when they both add up to 10k miles.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
7.3 is around 200 hours severe service.

Worn our oil kills injectors on these engines. You can change a lot of oil for what injectors cost.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So hypothetically.  If you wanted a 7500 mile ish oil change, you would go around 150-160 hours.

Etc.

I change my engine oil via hours more than miles anyways. I go about 150 hours in my F150.

View Quote

Interesting, I was thinking 250hrs was playing it “safe” but sounds like that’s not the case at all, especially since I’m a 5k oil change guy on my non high-idle motors…

If it were your truck what would you suggest?
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Some will have their oil tested to learn how quick their oil breaks down. You could do this to see what your oil does with all the idling and how often to change.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
7.3 is around 200 hours severe service.

Worn our oil kills injectors on these engines. You can change a lot of oil for what injectors cost.
View Quote

Thanks you for your reply, where did you find the 200hr info?

And yes I agree, oil is cheap compared to parts these days.

So what’s non severe service hours? I would say most of my use falls into severe service however.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some will have their oil tested to learn how quick their oil breaks down. You could do this to see what your oil does with all the idling and how often to change.
View Quote

Yes indeed, I have a kit on the way from black stone to test at my next oil change.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Went I had my airplane the oil was changed every 25 hours.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes indeed, I have a kit on the way from black stone to test at my next oil change.
View Quote

A good idea with that much idling is to get your turbo going. Every now and then step on it and spin the turbo up.

When I was looking for, my now, 6.0L diesel I was looking for low hours but was okay with high miles. Also, I wanted to make sure the truck was used for towing which would indicate exercising truck components (e.g. turbo).
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Went I had my airplane the oil was changed every 25 hours.
View Quote

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind if I ever pick up a air plane.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A good idea with that much idling is to get your turbo going. Every now and then step on it and spin the turbo up.

When I was looking for, my now, 6.0L diesel I was looking for low hours but was okay with high miles. Also, I wanted to make sure the truck was used for towing which would indicate exercising truck components (e.g. turbo).
View Quote

He has the new 7.3 gas motor
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

2020 7.3 gas motor, no turbo sir.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you idling that long for heat in the vehicle or to power a laptop?  

Lots of cheaper ways to accomplish either or both of the above with that much idle time on the engine.

Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you idling that long for heat in the vehicle or to power a laptop?  

Lots of cheaper ways to accomplish either or both of the above with that much idle time on the engine.

View Quote

Yes, heat or AC and to power laptops, printers, etc. Ive played around with other sources for the electricity and even heat sources but it’s rare that I don’t need heat or AC, only certain times of the spring/fall. Wasn’t worth it in the end. Plus easier to just let it idle for the 2L of fuel it burns a hour.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Interesting, I was thinking 250hrs was playing it “safe” but sounds like that’s not the case at all, especially since I’m a 5k oil change guy on my non high-idle motors…

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Etc.

200-210 hours.

Oil sample. Extend from there.

10,000 miles is the rated oil change interval.  So I won’t really recommend past that without oil samples.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

200-210 hours.

Oil sample. Extend from there.

10,000 miles is the rated oil change interval.  So I won’t really recommend past that without oil samples.
View Quote

Copy, I’ll drop it at 200 and send it in. I’ll post the results in this thread if it’s not archived.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
What OP seeks for his truck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Truck has a hour meter intergraded and it tracks idle hours also.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ford has said 1hr = 33 miles... theyve also said 25 miles. Though both were for diesels.

Theres severe duty and normal operation maintenance schedule in the owners manual i believe. Go by that.
View Quote

Just from my perspective in the oil industry on how we advise fleets to extend oil drains:

Base it off 48 miles per hour. This is very conservative.

Extend out from there.

We have some fleets going 900 hours under the right conditions.

And we have some fleets that don’t go 150 hours.

Fords info is both diesel and based on their oil.  

This is where technical aspects of oil and such come into play a bit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Good information in this thread, thanks for posting OP.

Pics of truck?
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

im just saying for warranty reasons theres a chance they might ask for oil change receipts or ask for records and they are even checking idle hours on gas engine service trucks now.

warranty dont care about facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just from my perspective in the oil industry on how we advise fleets to extend oil drains:

Base it off 48 miles per hour. This is very conservative.

Extend out from there.

We have some fleets going 900 hours under the right conditions.

And we have some fleets that don’t go 150 hours.

Fords info is both diesel and based on their oil.  

This is where technical aspects of oil and such come into play a bit.

im just saying for warranty reasons theres a chance they might ask for oil change receipts or ask for records and they are even checking idle hours on gas engine service trucks now.

warranty dont care about facts.

If they ask for a receipt, you have oil sample records.

Even better.

You pull sample records out on a dealership and they’ll shit bricks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#25]
How inaccurate is the oil life indicator? In my vehicle oil life is based on drive + idle time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pics of truck?
View Quote

Don’t have much for pics, this will have to do for now.

Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How inaccurate is the oil life indicator? In my vehicle oil life is based on drive + idle time.
View Quote

Depends on the oil.

Could be right.  Could be real wrong.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My last oil change was 250ish hours and 5k miles. The indicator still showed 40%, hence why I don’t trust them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had a 2018 ford f150 ecoboost 3.5.   followed foxtrot's recommendation on kendall oil and went by the computer oil change idicat0r.  it said to change the oil at probably 4387 miles and thats what I did.

my  guess, ... it's as good or better than the standard interval.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Had a 2018 ford f150 ecoboost 3.5.   followed foxtrot's recommendation on kendall oil and went by the computer oil change idicat0r.  it said to change the oil at probably 4387 miles and thats what I did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you’re using the Max / Dexos product. I’ve pushed mine out to 9800 miles without any issues. And the results came back fine.  

I normally don’t go over 8000 because by then I want to rotate the tires.

2015 3.5 EB. My dad has a 2018 3.5EB. But does 5000-7000 mile changes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Use Schaeffer's Moly EP molybdenum additive. They invented it to get Blackhawk helicopters to quit crashing in the desert. It will make your engine run 25-50 degrees cooler, because less friction=less heat=less wear on your engine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Use Schaeffer's Moly EP molybdenum additive. They invented it to get Blackhawk helicopters to quit crashing in the desert. It will make your engine run 25-50 degrees cooler, because less friction=less heat=less wear on your engine.
View Quote

No.

Adding shit to oil is dumb.

And it physically won’t make the oil run cooler. Let alone why would you want to? Unless you are actively over heating.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also because I’m feeling spicy.

1.  The EP moly additive has no NSN number.

2. It has no MIL spec approval number.

3. Has no General Electric turbine engine specs.

4. Meets 0 FAA or MIL aero specs.

And to the actual oil part:

Science says your wrong.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Engine load over time is the best metric.  It’s what is being used now to measure between oil changes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Dang.  According to this thread. The OP should be changing his oil once every 6weeks. It’s easy on our trucks but annoying to have to deal with that so often.
You have an extended range gas tank? Freaking hate having to stop for gas.

(13hrs a day x 5 days a week) 25miles per hour x 6 weeks = 9,750 “driven miles”

I have a diesel. So not sure how your gasser works. Do you also have to change out the fuel filters every other oil change?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dang.  According to this thread. The OP should be changing his oil once every 6weeks. It’s easy on our trucks but annoying to have to deal with that so often.

I have a diesel. So not sure how your gasser works. Do you also have to change out the fuel filters every other oil change?
View Quote

Sounds about right.
My semis get an oil change about every 2.5 months.

10 hours a day / 5 days a week.

500 hours.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#37]
At a shop i worked in 25 years ago we changed oil in everything at 250 hours.
They ran 15/40 diesel oil in everything, not synthetic.
I worked there 10 years, never saw a major engine failure.
We had some trucks with 12k-15k hours and only 50k-60k miles.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya that’s about right, could be 2 months if I’m not working much, could be 3 weeks if I’m working everyday.

48gal tank

No, gassers aren’t as picky about fuel so no need to change the filters often, most are not in a friendly place, some are even in the tank. I’m going to say 99% of people with gas trucks never change their fuel filter.

I’ll probably do mine at 100k.

When I ran diesels I changed mine often.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At a shop i worked in 25 years ago we changed oil in everything at 250 hours.
They ran 15/40 diesel oil in everything, not synthetic.
I worked there 10 years, never saw a major engine failure.
We had some trucks with 12k-15k hours and only 50k-60k miles.
View Quote

25 years ago you also had two flavors of oil.

10w30 for gasoline.
15w40 for diesel.

And you could run the 15w40 in gas engines.

Times have changed.

A lot.

When I first started my job full time. I used to order this weekly for one division every week. Of just my brand oil:

13000 gallons of 5w30 - synthetic blend.
13000 gallons of 5w20 - synthetic blend.
6500 gallons of 10w30 - straight group 2 conventional
6500 gallons of 15w40 - straight group 2.

Now today:
6500 gallons of 5w30
6500 of 5w20
0 10w30
6500 gallons of 0w20 full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2
4000 gallons of 5w30 full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 2
2000 gallons of 0w20 full synthetic non dexos.
4000 gallons of 15w40 synthetic blend

We also picked up significant volumes of branded (p66/Kendall) 15w40 and 10w30 Diesel engine oils.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pics of truck?
View Quote

I'll try this again...

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Sharp truck!

Have you asked Ford? When I pulled wrenches for a living, the hour based oil change intervals varied widely from one piece of equipment to another.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sharp truck!

Have you asked Ford? When I pulled wrenches for a living, the hour based oil change intervals varied widely from one piece of equipment to another.

View Quote

No not really, not sure that they would be much help. Could be wrong thou...
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice truck OP.

On a side note, with all the idling, is it recommended for these newer direct injected engines to give them occasional "Italian tune ups"?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most UOA on BITOG has been showing RGT running low on TBN at 5-6k miles, just FYI.  It is not an extended interval oil at all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Most UOA on BITOG has been showing RGT running low on TBN at 5-6k miles, just FYI.  It is not an extended interval oil at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s every Rotella.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#47]
The standard is 33 miles = 1 hour

My mileage at 260k was at 7500hours  which is pretty close
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No.

And it physically won’t make the oil run cooler. Let alone why would you want to? Unless you are actively over heating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Around here people all but worship Lucas additive. Yeah, let's take a vehicle that runs 5w20 oil and add a substance to it that's like pouring peanut butter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#49]
We do our hard use tractors at 200 hours, loader tractors that idle more around 300.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nice truck OP.

On a side note, with all the idling, is it recommended for these newer direct injected engines to give them occasional "Italian tune ups"?
View Quote

Thanks, I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

FYI the new 7.3 is actually port injected not DI. Ford when old school on this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top