Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Jr. High Principal for too many years colored beard and hair.  Finally retired.  Beat Cancer so he decided to do something he wanted to do for years, was rebuilding 60's Chevy with son.  Engine not work.  Pour gas into carburetor, set open gas can next to carburetor.  Tells son to crank it over as he bends over carb.  Ka-boom. Survived but burned off a good portion of his clothes, upper body hair and face.  Still in hospital.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Principal Skinner] Fire can be our ally, whether it is toasting s'mores, or raining down on charlie[/principal Skinner]

Man you you have no idea how long I have been waiting to use that one...

Ralph (pointing to a rock): "That's were I saw the leprechaun. He tells me to burn things."

That reminds me of a story... I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

In the Stan, I was going through the chow line at night... just as I'm walking out of the building to go back to mine, I look over and this guy has somehow caught on fire. It turned out he was trying to put more water into an imersion heater, and poured gasoline in by accident. The whole thing went up, and started up the side of the building I was just in. No big surprise, there was no Fire Extinguisher next to the heater like there should have been, so I run to the first HMMWV and grab the extinguisher out of it, and run over to put the guy out as he is rolling himself around on the ground. Then I put out the side of the building and the heater... The guy was from one of the other EOD units that was there before my unit.

www.sptimmy.com/pics/sp414_timmyfire.gif

I fucking hate immersion heaters.  

Hmm... You'd think an EOD guy would recognize GAS is not WATER!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hmm... You'd think an EOD guy would recognize GAS is not WATER!

That's what I was thinking when it happened. IIRC he mentioned that he smelled that it was gas as it was pouring out into the heater... which was too late.

The only thing I cold say to his credit is that the new platic gas cans look very much like a water jug, and it was dark... but I still think he was a tard. While they look similar deductive reasoning would have told him, "Hmmm. Hey, doesn't this thing run on gas... what's with all these water cans?"

Immersion heaters aren't all bad... they are nice to have for shaving in the winter and I'd definitely prefer to have one when going through a Decon hotline any time of year, but especially winter. They are a pain in the balls to set up though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]

[feinswine]We must ban fire! It's dangerous as you can see from this story! Do it for the children![/feinswine]

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
True story.  When I was a kid my sister tried to start a fire in the woodstove with kerosene....luckily I stopped her in time.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dumb bitch.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Shouldn't there be a 5-day waiting period and background check for buying gasoline?

Absolutely
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
She is burning a bunch of leaves, sticks and crap, no big deal.

About 5 minutes later I hear a "KAAAAFWWWWHOOOOOSHHHH-TUMMMBBBP! and her yelling.

I look out the window and see her running away from the fire and a 4 gallon plastic gas can on the ground on fire!

I took my hose and knocked the fire out off the can.

She had taken the gas can and poured the gas on the HOT EMBERS of the fire "to get it going again".

The fire went up the gas stream and into the can and did a mini-fireball.

I asked her how full the gas can was, she said it was full when she started.
I told her that she got lucky, that it probably would have exploded had it been almost empty.

Her gloves kept her hands from getting burned.

You play with fire...You get BURNED....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
[frankenstein]FIRE BAD!![/frankenstein]

No, no! Fire your friend. Provided you have the smarts to handle it...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
A local guy in town grabbed a box of "garbage" from his garage and through it into a trash fire in his backyard... didn't realize that under the papers was a can of his mixed gas for his lawnmower.

He got second degree burns, and spent a few weeks in hospital

natural selection is a Bitch
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The writ of common Wisdom says
"what would Richard Pryer do"?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago I spent some time in a hospital w/ 30% burn coverage (1st, 2nd degree) due to a freak accident. Had anyone here done that, they wouldn't be laughing at her, stupid behavior or not.

ETA: I got lucky; no permanent scars; but DO NOT light a large fire (you know, that "whoosh' sound) near me without mentioning it to me beforehand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]
wow, that is bad
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I still do like TJ said; Fill a cup and toss it in. Works just fine, and you already know what it will do.

It's a redneck thing, the city guys won't get it.

Tj

Yep.  Just like TJ said.  Except I usually cut the gas with a little Diesel to take the "edge" off the volatility.

Oh, and make sure you hold the cup with your non-dominant hand (just in case)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top