Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in seeing what they come out with for their new mirrorless.

I started photography in 2004 with Nikon, and spent tens of thousands in their system. I sold it all about two years ago and switched to a Fujifilm X100s. A couple of months ago my wife wanted me to get back into some light portraiture, so I picked up an X-E2. My next purchase was an adapter, and after that I started buying old Nikon lenses again. So far I've got a 35/1.4, a 50/1.4, and a 135/2.8.

If Nikon's mirrorless feels like an FM2, I'll be very interested.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested in seeing what they come out with for their new mirrorless.

I started photography in 2004 with Nikon, and spent tens of thousands in their system. I sold it all about two years ago and switched to a Fujifilm X100s. A couple of months ago my wife wanted me to get back into some light portraiture, so I picked up an X-E2. My next purchase was an adapter, and after that I started buying old Nikon lenses again. So far I've got a 35/1.4, a 50/1.4, and a 135/2.8.

If Nikon's mirrorless feels like an FM2, I'll be very interested.
View Quote
My guess is that it'll be similar to the Df, honestly my money would be that it is the DF2.  If Nikon does it right, I'll certainly buy one as a travel camera, especially if it'll take F mount lenses natively or with an OEM adapter that works well.  I just hope if they go that way, they put out a copy of the NF/DF grip for it.  Small but makes a huge difference on handling.

Considering the DF just took some big price drops and it is the 100th anniversary this month, I'm curious to see if they'll announce a mirrorless at their press conference.  They already stated that there will be some awesome announcements at it.

Love my D7200 but it is a bit bulky sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Digital is a complete waste of money unless you're making copious amounts of cash from it. Get yourself some analog gear and stop worrying about the latest gadgets
View Quote
lol

You can burn your cash on gear, or you can burn your cash on consumables like film and processing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
If they do release a Df2 I hope they make it smaller than the Df.  The size is really my only complaint about that camera.  Compared to other full frame, yeah it is "small ", but not compared to the crop cameras, at least in terms of feel.  My D7200 "feels" smaller to me than my Df because of the ergonomics.  I love the old school dials though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 ED VR Lens Confirmed
View Quote
Hate HATE variable F lenses.

After using my Sony A7s for travel (instead of lugging the D810 and D700 around), aside from the ASTOUNDING high ISO of the Sony, what I love is that the Sony has freaking WiFi.. so I can download and share pro images RFN.

Nikon needs this on all their pro and prosumer bodies now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hate HATE variable F lenses.

After using my Sony A7s for travel (instead of lugging the D810 and D700 around), aside from the ASTOUNDING high ISO of the Sony, what I love is that the Sony has freaking WiFi.. so I can download and share pro images RFN.

Nikon needs this on all their pro and prosumer bodies now.
View Quote
Are you meaning lenses that aren't a fixed f/2.8 or f/4 through the whole range as their max aperture or ?  

Nikon is including wifi in their cameras, it's just that the app side is kinda iffy.  I control my D7200 over wifi on occasion, but haven't tried the built in NFC.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you meaning lenses that aren't a fixed f/2.8 or f/4 through the whole range as their max aperture or ?  

Nikon is including wifi in their cameras, it's just that the app side is kinda iffy.  I control my D7200 over wifi on occasion, but haven't tried the built in NFC.
View Quote
The variable aperture lenses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm... new patents that were just published.  The interesting thing is that Nikon and Sony have been working on curved sensor tech for a while now.  They perform way better than a flat sensor, especially in low light and it is easier to make super fast lenses.  Downside is that it is a ton of enginnering to get them to pattern the light properly onto the sensor.  

While I don't think it is where Nikon is going with their mirrorless now, when they are done baking it'll be a whole new type of digital camera.  While you could likely get lenses to work with an adapter, the final image would be distorted to hell from the geometry differences.  A dedicated post process software could fix that, but it would likely be aftermarket.  Hell if MIT could figure out a way to remove reflections from images without losing data, AND come up with 2 images afterward (one of the full reflection and one without the reflection) I can't imaging this couldn't get worked past.

35mm f/2 lens for a curved sensor
Wide angle mirrorless

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hmmm... new patents that were just published.  The interesting thing is that Nikon and Sony have been working on curved sensor tech for a while now.  They perform way better than a flat sensor, especially in low light and it is easier to make super fast lenses.  Downside is that it is a ton of enginnering to get them to pattern the light properly onto the sensor.  

While I don't think it is where Nikon is going with their mirrorless now, when they are done baking it'll be a whole new type of digital camera.  While you could likely get lenses to work with an adapter, the final image would be distorted to hell from the geometry differences.  A dedicated post process software could fix that, but it would likely be aftermarket.  Hell if MIT could figure out a way to remove reflections from images without losing data, AND come up with 2 images afterward (one of the full reflection and one without the reflection) I can't imaging this couldn't get worked past.

35mm f/2 lens for a curved sensor
Wide angle mirrorless

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Nikon-Nikkor-35mm-f2-full-frame-lens-patent-designed-for-curved-sensor-768x657.gif
https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Wide-angle-Nikkor-zoom-mirrorless-lens-patent-768x1223.gif
View Quote
I'd imagine correcting it would be similar to correcting pin cushion and barrel distortion in lenses.

This tech probably will work better on fixed lens bodies rather than interchangeable; with a fixed lens it will be easier to match optics to sensor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the curved sensor tech won't make a really big splash until they have the bugs worked out on adaptive optics and adaptive sensors.  The camera would be able to optimize the lens & sensor combo for maximum IQ, within the available adjustment range.

Until then, I'd think it would make a debut on a fixed-lens camera, where the lens and the sensor have been optimized to best work with each other.  How much smaller would the Sony RX1RII lens be in that case?  Similar to the Fuji X100 series?

Pretty cool tech coming down the pipe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how are you saving money if every 15 months you're buying a new kit that is 1-2 thousand dollars atleast? how is this even enjoyable when you're spending most of the time debating specs or rumor mongering instead of actually taking photos? looks to me as if you have a gadget fetish

digital cameras are a shit investment
View Quote

Unless you are a professional, there is little to no need to buy new gear every 15 months. I am on my 3rd DSLR since I converted from film. Bought a refurb D70, shot it for awhile (4-5 years? can't remember), upgraded to a D90 (also bought refurb) and shot it for another 5 years even after having a major overhaul done to it under an extended warranty. Several times in the lifespan of both cameras I considered upgrading, and in fact saved money towards it. More than once I diverted that money into new lenses, or other stuff.

The reason I upgraded this time is that the D90 was OK to marginal in some light situations I found myself in a lot, including kids tae-kwon-do and indoor basketball. It could get the job done, but my D500 that replaced it is superior in every way.

In terms of viewing cameras as an actual investment - that would be laughable. They depreciate faster than confederate currency. The only reason I am not WAY upside down on my D500 is I bought it on uber-sale AND got the free battery grip.

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
No specs yet, but the D850 is coming 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No specs yet, but the D850 is coming 
View Quote
Good, I need to ditch my D700 and move my D810 to back up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Love my D7200 but it is a bit bulky sometimes.
View Quote
Hear hear. I have a 18-300 f5.6, the lens alone ~2lbs. I have reverted back to my Panasonic Lumix ZS50 & Sony RX10-3, whenever possible.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW since we are at it, I have a Nikon D40X that has at least 150K clicks on the shutter, and is still usable to day.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#16]
They may also be doing a D750 replacement, at least from my take on the below.  The translation is a bit screwy so YMMV.  Per Nikon Rumors

A few hours ago DC.Watch published an article called "Nikon announces the introduction of this year's pro / high amateur model" where Shinyoshimi Gokyu (Nikon Managing Executive Officer and Video Business Manager) was quoted saying:

"Following the D7500 that we introduced the other day, we will introduce the second new product this year, so please expect it because we will introduce a model that you can fully convince pro and high amateur people" (Google translation)

Here is a slightly better translation from a reader:

"We'll release the second new product this year after the D7500 which has come out recently. It'll will be a model which pros and enthusiasts appreciate very much. Stay tuned."
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They may also be doing a D750 replacement, at least from my take on the below.  The translation is a bit screwy so YMMV.  Per Nikon Rumors

A few hours ago DC.Watch published an article called "Nikon announces the introduction of this year's pro / high amateur model" where Shinyoshimi Gokyu (Nikon Managing Executive Officer and Video Business Manager) was quoted saying:

"Following the D7500 that we introduced the other day, we will introduce the second new product this year, so please expect it because we will introduce a model that you can fully convince pro and high amateur people" (Google translation)

Here is a slightly better translation from a reader:

"We'll release the second new product this year after the D7500 which has come out recently. It'll will be a model which pros and enthusiasts appreciate very much. Stay tuned."
View Quote
I read someplace describing this new body as a D5x.  Might be higher res or I also saw someone say it might be a mini D5.  Who knows though...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Development of Digital SLR Camera Nikon D850 July 25, 2017

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the development of the next-generation full-frame, high-resolution, high-speed digital SLR cameras with the upcoming release of the highly anticipated Nikon D850.
The D850 will be a formidable tool for creators who will not compromise on exceptional image quality and versatility, including aspiring and professional photographers, as well as hobbyists, who shoot landscapes, commercial sports, fashion and weddings, and multimedia content creators.

The D850 is the successor to the D810, which was highly praised by its users for offering extremely sharp and clear rendering, with rich tone characteristics. This powerful new FX-format digital SLR camera is engineered with a range of new technologies, features and performance enhancements that are a direct result of feedback from users over the years – who demand the very best from their camera equipment. The D850 will exceed the expectations of the vast range of photographers that seek the high resolution and high-speed capabilities that only a Nikon of this caliber complemented by NIKKOR lenses can offer.

*Information regarding the release of this product will be announced at a later date.

Holy fuck 

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
8k timelapse would put the sensor right around 43MP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.  The estimates were 42-46mp, so it's likely the sensor from the A7RII with Nikon modifications.  At least it would make sense and is pretty much a given if it is a triple layer sensor they announce in the D850.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yup.  The estimates were 42-46mp, so it's likely the sensor from the A7RII with Nikon modifications.  At least it would make sense and is pretty much a given if it is a triple layer sensor they announce in the D850.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruh Ro...

Between this and the a7RIII that is rumored, I'm in the market for a full frame at the end of this year...

Watching this closely, especially since most of my glass is Nikkor glass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe it will be mirrorless, too.

Lets see.....

New memory cards, card reader, batteries, etc.   This could get expensive.  And I don't even care about video.

This announcement makes me wonder if they are having problems with the D850.  I mean, they shot the video with it, but apparently the camera is not ready to be released yet.  Sounds like maybe they thought it would be ready today, but then some issues came up.  And with all the speculation about the D850 on the internet, they may have felt some pressure to at least  "announce" that it is coming.

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Digital is a complete waste of money unless you're making copious amounts of cash from it. Get yourself some analog gear and stop worrying about the latest gadgets
View Quote
Digital easily pays for itself over film when only looking at stuff as simple as reshoots, alone.  Film is a finite quantity, an incredibly finite quantity, in the field.

Digital gets a lot more done.

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
What will the price point be ? 3 to 4 thousand ? 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

that's alot of nonsense. Just use shims.

View Quote
Ridiculous comment completely lacking in logic or understanding.  Film was surpassed by digital 15 years ago.  You can buy a FF DSLR of that vintage for next to nothing, and still be better off than using film.  Better resolution, much faster workflow (no scanning!), and no film costs (saving copious amounts of cash??), better low light performance, etc....  The only reason people upgrade is for the improvements, but if you choose to stick with what you have, you are still better off than analog.  I still produce lots of images that sell with my 8 year old 5D MkII.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lets see.....

New memory cards, card reader, batteries, etc.   This could get expensive.  And I don't even care about video.

This announcement makes me wonder if they are having problems with the D850.  I mean, they shot the video with it, but apparently the camera is not ready to be released yet.  Sounds like maybe they thought it would be ready today, but then some issues came up.  And with all the speculation about the D850 on the internet, they may have felt some pressure to at least  "announce" that it is coming.

View Quote
They did the same thing with the D5. Likely wanting to get it 100%
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see.....

CF and SD cards are too slow for large megapixel sensors with higher frame rates or 4k/8k video.  You will see everyone move to XQD and CFast cards in the next few years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Huh, that's an interesting pentaprism.  No other Nikon has had one shaped like that.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Huh, that's an interesting pentaprism.  No other Nikon has had one shaped like that.

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Nikon-D850-DSLR-camera-coming-soon-1.jpg
View Quote
No popup flash.  Yeah!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Nikon-D850-DSLR-camera-coming-soon-1.jpg
View Quote
Maybe it's a digital viewfinder.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...I rather like using my Yongnuo radio triggers!

I now care not a tiny little bit about the pop up flash. The one on the D750 never sees any use.
View Quote
Mine does.

...every time I accidentally trip the flash button, then it's right back to the stowed position.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like backlit buttons, movable display (maybe a touch screen) but controls look D810 standard.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I see headphones, USB (hopefully C) and HDMI so far, and I'm liking the buttons on the left side of the screen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mine does.

...every time I accidentally trip the flash button, then it's right back to the stowed position.  
View Quote
I tape mine down for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like all the same buttons as the D500. I'm wondering what they have for memory card slots, I'm really hoping XQD so another prosumer camera like the D500 gets them and they become more mainstream to bring the cost down.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looks like all the same buttons as the D500. I'm wondering what they have for memory card slots, I'm really hoping XQD so another prosumer camera like the D500 gets them and they become more mainstream to bring the cost down.
View Quote
My guess is a choice of options like with the D500.  My big hope is if they are pushing the XQD cards, that they start making OEM ones that are awesome, since Sony is the only company making them now.  Lexxar closed down the other week.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My guess is a choice of options like with the D500.  My big hope is if they are pushing the XQD cards, that they start making OEM ones that are awesome, since Sony is the only company making them now.  Lexxar closed down the other week.
View Quote
Yeah I've been hoping to see the Lexar cards on closeout somewhere since that announcement but the price has remained steady. I want to buy a few of the 128gb but can't bring myself to spend what they want for them lol.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]
More info:

Two new Nikon patents just came out. 
-P2017-129668A - 24-68mm f/2.8-4 full frame mirrorless lens
-P2017-130973A - multifunctional hot shoe (probably for an attachable electronic viewfinder)

And the updated D850 rumor sheet from Nikon Rumors.  IMO 46mp 64 or 100 base ISO.
  • 45-46MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • Improved low and high ISO
  • New and improved version of SnapBridge
  • No built-in GPS
  • Tiltable LCD screen just like the D750 and D500
  • Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
  • AF system from the D5
  • No built-in flash (from the teaser picture)
  • Back illuminated buttons (from leaked pictures)
  • Joystick selector (from leaked pictures)
  • Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (from leaked pictures)
  • 8K time-lapse video capabilities (from promo video)
  • New: the D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
  • New: touchscreen
  • New: 4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)

Assorted rumors:
-hybrid electronic prism viewfinder with eye sensor (people are thinking that from the series of holes around it in the photo plus a weird "button" next to it) personally I think it's just screw holes and a shroud for the diopter adjustment.
-frame rate has been rumored between 6-8fps
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
New: the D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
View Quote
I'm beginning to think it may not hit the street before next year.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not confirmed, just a rumor at this point.  Could have it released before then, who knows.  If I were Nikon, I'd plan on having it ship here as soon as possible to hit the holiday season and whatnot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's not confirmed, just a rumor at this point.  Could have it released before then, who knows.  If I were Nikon, I'd plan on having it ship here as soon as possible to hit the holiday season and whatnot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would imagine that Nikon is watching Sony right now, especially with a possible a7/9 body potentially hitting the market this year.

I really want a a7Rii, but would jump to Nikon in a heartbeat if they can release an equivalent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe it's a digital viewfinder.

View Quote
Lord I hope not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd say it's a near certainty that it will have XQD and SD.  I'd think we're 2 generations away from only-XQD.

The only thing I don't like about XQD is that my Thinkpad doesn't have a slot for them (but does have a slot for SD).  Adapters/card readers suck.  Nikon's implementation of wifi sucks too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'd say it's a near certainty that it will have XQD and SD.  I'd think we're 2 generations away from only-XQD.

The only thing I don't like about XQD is that my Thinkpad doesn't have a slot for them (but does have a slot for SD).  Adapters/card readers suck.  Nikon's implementation of wifi sucks too.
View Quote
Yeah I wish my laptop had a built in slot, so far I just plug the camera into the computer since with USB 3.0 it transfers pretty fast. It would certainly be easier to be able to just pull the card and plug it in rather than having to dig out a cable and have the camera sitting with me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Meh.

I was Nikon for at least 30 years.

Sold my D810 for a Fuji XT-2 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#48]
$5200
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
$5200
View Quote
Don't get me wrong, they take amazing photos BUT Sony isn't exactly known for having the widest variety of lenses or battery life.  Their AF gets weird up here as well.

So yeah, I'd rather have that sensor inside a $3500 Nikon and save myself almost $2k.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#50]
$5200 includes a f/2.8 zoom lens.  The body is $2900.

But I'm not switching to Sony at this stage of the game.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top