BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A few years ago there were just a few guys doing it, but now its really taken off.

As a child of the '80s I feel kind of vindicated that all my favorite stuff is becoming popular again all of the sudden.
View Quote
We're vindicated because the Baby Boomers are dying off now. We've come of age and now the Good Old Days were Synthwave, Top Gun, Hair/Heavy Metal, Big Tits in Leg Warmers with Big Hair, and Killing Commies. 

I love it!

Right now listening to Debbie Deb, DJ Laz, L'trimm, VHS Dreams, Lazerhawks, and Tangerine Dreams on mix while remodeling my house with a Fixed Carry A2 Carry Handle AR within reach. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know these, my attempt to join and quit shit posting OP's thread again with my favorite metal...  any street cred points awarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuf8rJAbyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2gvHjNhQ0
View Quote
Passable Approval 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Does this qualify?

What about this

Sly Fox Let's Go All The Way ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Why has no one posted any Timecop1983???
Timecop1983 - Don't Let Go (feat. Dana Jean Phoenix) Official Video

So good, I'm surprised that it exists.

Timecop1983 - Wild Love feat. Ollie Wride (Lyric Video)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you dig this kind of music, NewRetroWave is a great channel.

I'm a big fan of Daniel Deluxe.

Daniel Deluxe - Breakout

Daniel Deluxe Star Eater.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Synthwave and proper two toned DA/SA 3rd Gen guns just go together....

S&W 5903 SSV

Yeah, I want there..... 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for awesomeness
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
No one has posted any GosT yet? For shame, dudes, for shame.

What's really funny about this whole movement to me is that a lot of it started from dudes in the metal underground. One of the bigger synthwave labels is also an extreme metal label - Blood Music.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No one has posted any GosT yet? For shame, dudes, for shame.

What's really funny about this whole movement to me is that a lot of it started from dudes in the metal underground. One of the bigger synthwave labels is also an extreme metal label - Blood Music.
View Quote
Folks just want to relive the 80s again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, y'all listen to some shit music...

I'm digging this stuff, may have to download
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
M83's album Saturdays = Youth is one of my long time favs cover to cover. It took a little time but I love the whole album and play it on repeat

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Aight, the first one I had to turn off after 15 seconds.  I had that casio keyboard and it sucked then too.

The second one's still on, promising, we'll see.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Folks just want to eat cereal and watch Saturday morning cartoons again
View Quote
Fixed
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
80's metal is great too (my favorite) but this is about Retrosynth/Synthwave/Retroelectro whatever you want to call it.
View Quote
If you ask me it started with the 8 bit sound stuff and it eventually got away from them and now we have retro synth.  Which is fine.  They'll have a bit of fun with it and it will come back around again in 20 years in some form.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive owned this 5-track EP from the band College, love this track

College - Can You Kiss Me First
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's my youtube playlist of Retrowave I like
playlist

Irving Force, Dynatron, Miami Nights 1984, Lazerhawk, Purtubator, Vector Hold, Street Cleaner,

Dynatron Stars of the Night
Dynatron - Stars of the Night
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Funny you bring this up. For some reason I have been on an 80's kick today. My morning started when I woke up at 3:00AM, realized I wasn't going to fall back asleep, and listened to Toto-Africa on my phone. It's been 80's all day since. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fixed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Folks just want to eat cereal and watch Saturday morning cartoons again
Fixed
FUCK YEAH!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I immediately wanted a .45 longslide, Uzi 9 millimeter, and a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was DJ'ing a few years back, Chromeo was good to get people right.

Chromeo - Jealous (I Ain't With It) [Official Video]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Coffee + (non vocal) synthwave = mental focus
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread is great!

Any artist(s) sound Jan Hammer-esque from the Miami Vice era?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for this thread MiamiJBT!

Robert Parker - Crystal City [FULL ALBUM] 2016
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have to say, the new synthwave coming out is fucking awesomely amazing. Really hits me in the feelz and takes me back to a time where fixed carry handles ARs, square bodied cars, big hair with big tits, and killing commies was axtually happening and cool. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_3D4b3UZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpDn4-Na5co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw9uicEGjGw

LOVE IT

Edit to add....

Watch this.... funny as hell.

https://i.scdn.co/image/81843096e567c1ae979ac38100b0079ef4be68da
View Quote

Not bad, but it's as if we've stepped so far back in time that the techno music will pique, again, with the songs/tunes just like the best era - which seemed to be 2004 to 2007.

I, and many others, never understood why it went away from that.  Best guess was: severe lack of talent.  That's the only thing that could explain the last 10 years of synth-based music.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know these, my attempt to join and quit shit posting OP's thread again with my favorite metal...  any street cred points awarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuf8rJAbyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2gvHjNhQ0
View Quote
Street cred given.  

OP's music is just a re-hash of the precursors to this.  And this eventually built to what we had in the early 2000's.

Incredible it all has to go around the circle once again to get to what's good.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
The new Carpenter Brut live album is disgustingly awesome.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Konrad Celin´ski - Cruising

Kimbra, Mark Foster & A-Trak - Warrior (Silent Gloves Remix)

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread is relevant to my interests...

This is the kind of synth sound that made me buy a Deepmind 12.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, I miss the '80s.  It was a massive explosion of great pop culture, in a positive way.  Good time to be alive.  Now I'm sharing it all with my 9yo and 11yo kids.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Kavinsky - Nightcall (Drive Original Movie Soundtrack) (Official Audio)

Not sure if Kavinsky counts. First one has a cool video with guns, fights, 80's inspired special effects and a Testerossa.

Second one is just one of my favorites.

Now I have to spend the next few hours catching up on what yall have posted as I didn't know there were more musicians out there like this...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Great thread. You guys are posting some fine music!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Yesss..

GUNSHIP - Tech Noir [ft. John Carpenter] Music Video

Gunship - Tech Noir (Carpenter Brut Remix)

GUNSHIP - Black Sun On The Horizon

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:15:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Did someone say Perturbator?

Perturbator - "Sentient" [Music Video - UNCENSORED - "The Uncanny Valley"]

Perturbator - "She Is Young, She Is Beautiful ... " [Music Video - Official]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#35]
How about some Carpenter Brut?

† Carpenter Brut † TURBO KILLER † Directed by Seth Ickerman † Official Video †
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#36]
So...is this a case of everything coming around again?  Because this stuff sounds a lot like the Yanni, Kitaro, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, etc...I used to listen to in the 80's.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sooooo many quarters wasted at places like Flippers Arcade, Malibu GrandPrix Race-O-Rama, Don Carter's Bowling, and Aladdin's Castle.....

Ahhh memories

Haven't played Far Cry 3 yet but the OST is fun as hell.
View Quote
Know what's weird?

During a recent car/cruising/80's thread here, I was trying to find pictures online of what the 80's were like in Northern California.  Pictures of us kids cruising, the parking lot scene, the arcades, etc.

They're just not out there.  We never took pictures, pictures weren't a "thing" like it is today.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Know what's weird?

During a recent car/cruising/80's thread here, I was trying to find pictures online of what the 80's were like in Northern California.  Pictures of us kids cruising, the parking lot scene, the arcades, etc.

They're just not out there.  We never took pictures, pictures weren't a "thing" like it is today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sooooo many quarters wasted at places like Flippers Arcade, Malibu GrandPrix Race-O-Rama, Don Carter's Bowling, and Aladdin's Castle.....

Ahhh memories

Haven't played Far Cry 3 yet but the OST is fun as hell.
Know what's weird?

Same here.... pictures are hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been listening to it for years now.

Power Glove - Motorcycle Cop (Ultra HQ)

Una Notte Violenta (Alessandro Parisi Remix)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#40]
It's awesome. OP I'm with you reminds me of my childhood playing arcade games. The downside, makes me miss the 80s terribly. I trashed that decade for a long time but now that I'm older I realize how great it was to be a kid then. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What's crazy is someone actually made a retro game with Powerglove as the soundtrack....and even got Michael Biehn to do the voice acting!

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.  Most fun I had in years.

EDIT:  Wish I knew how to embed.
View Quote
Awesome game indeed! It's the only reason I knew what this thread talking about! It really captures the feel of 80's action movies, and it's  a very fun game on it's own! 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Know what's weird?

View Quote
Yeah pictures from that era aren't as common as people tend to think they are, at least not on the net. We're used to everyone carrying cameras in their pockets and taking pictures of everything interesting they see every day, and a hell of a lot of things that aren't interesting. Back in the '80s if you wanted to take a picture you had to have a camera, then you had to get the film developed, and then for that picture to still be around on the internet someone had to scan it at some point and then upload it. It was actually a multi-step thing to get old pics on the net for us to look at now, and many people just didn't take the time to do it. 

Plus like you said it wasn't really a "thing" either, in the '80s we used to do a lot of biking, riding skateboards, then hung out and messed around with cars, shot guns, etc. but even when we knew something cool was likely to happen the chances of anyone actually bringing a camera to take pics of it were extremely low. Hell some of the stuff we used to get up to would probably get your ass beat if you whipped out a camera. I do have a couple boxes of pictures from back then, but they never got scanned when I had a scanner because I didn't think anyone would be interested in them enough to scan, and I'm sure that's the case with a lot of people as well. We're just too used to people taking pictures of everything, including their lunch, and that wasn't really done back then. Different technology was part of it, but a different mindset was a bigger one in my opinion.

Anyhow, I've listened to most of the songs posted even though I said I wasn't gonna...time to look for a Bren Ten, damn you all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's awesome. OP I'm with you reminds me of my childhood playing arcade games. The downside, makes me miss the 80s terribly. I trashed that decade for a long time but now that I'm older I realize how great it was to be a kid then. 
View Quote
The '80s weren't a great time to be a kid, they were the best time to be a kid.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man, I miss the '80s.  It was a massive explosion of great pop culture, in a positive way.  Good time to be alive.  Now I'm sharing it all with my 9yo and 11yo kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My daughter only watches '80s cartoons.

Kind of sad when cartoons that were made jsut to sell toys are better than whatever shit they push on kids today.

Quoted:
So...is this a case of everything coming around again?  Because this stuff sounds a lot like the Yanni, Kitaro, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, etc...I used to listen to in the 80's.
Yes, that's the idea of this genre.

New music in the '80s electric style.

Quoted:

Awesome game indeed! It's the only reason I knew what this thread talking about! It really captures the feel of 80's action movies, and it's  a very fun game on it's own! 
I don't think a single reference in that game slipped by me.  Of course, they were referencing some of my all time favorite films.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I've never heard of this.  As a fan of techno I really like it!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 80s were the best time to be a kid. Got to experience what prior generations did plus the awesomeness of new tech. We had the best of both worlds. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The 80s were the best time to be a kid. Got to experience what prior generations did plus the awesomeness of new tech. We had the best of both worlds. 
View Quote
That is an undeniable fact.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#48]
A lot of things I would have already posted, has been posted already.

NewRetroWave Channel man, and do not forget about DanceWiththeDead.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is an undeniable fact.
Indeed, I was born in '72 so I started the '80s listening to my uncle's Sabbath and Zeppelin 8-tracks, riding a mini-BMX bike and playing with Star Wars toys; ended the '80s going to countless awesome concerts, driving a '69 Firebird and playing with pretty much any chick with big hair and tight stone washed jeans that wanted to be played with.

Not many generations of people in the history of the world got to live through the awesome range of experience that kids my age did. Hell, some of my friends have kids who are still in HS and when we talk about what it was like when we were in HS they don't believe us, yes we went out a lot, yes we did stupid shit a lot, and yes we actually had to actually talk to people. They're damn near shut-ins by choice and can't comprehend something as simple as randomly saying,"Fuck it, let's go do something we'll still be talking about in 30 years..."

ETA: For example, several of us actually skipped out of school to see Ferris Bueller's Day off, because it just seemed like the right thing to do. Tell any of my friends' kids that and they do this:
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's a very good point. We're probably the last to get to experience that too. I was still a kid in the early 90s and it wasn't too different. By the time that decade was over it had gone to shit. 
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top