Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh, I don't think the dog was hurt but what the officer did was an example of a piss poor correction.

Anytime you lose your temper and go off on a dog in a situation like that, it is counterproductive.

99% of the time a dog will do whatever it takes to please it's handler. The dog in the vid probably did not understand what was expected of him……

Pretty soft dog though. Do that to my dogs and you'll most likely not do it again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a leash pop is whipping now?

those were gentle corrections.
View Quote

Those were improper corrections.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Actually, you haven't said much of anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the right way to correct a training problem with a canine...

Perhaps, but not abuse either.

Where did I say that?

Actually, you haven't said much of anything.

I made a clear statement on the actions of the police officer towards the canine.

Try to keep up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I changed the title, did that cut down on the micro-aggression's this thread has caused you?  

The title of the article was reflected in the title of the thread.  The exact same way I always share news stories, which is the exact same way news stories are usually shared.

If you have something to imply, go ahead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bitch to the news network.  I read the article same as if this appeared in the paper.  Video is blocked.  So how the fuck would I know?

Actually come up with a title and I'll change it.

You posted a sensationalist thread about a video that you didn't even watch?  WTF.  I would suggest a title change to "Mods, Please Delete".

It's a news article that'd have the exact same fucking wording if a video wasn't embedded.

Yeah, OK, Soda.

I changed the title, did that cut down on the micro-aggression's this thread has caused you?  

The title of the article was reflected in the title of the thread.  The exact same way I always share news stories, which is the exact same way news stories are usually shared.

I didn't think that I was  implying anything, but I'll just state it openly:
I think that you thought that you were going to be a cool kid by posting a sensationalist article alleging abuse of an aninal by police officers.  However, you went about it in a half-assed manner by posting without even watching the video in question.  When several people pointed out that the video shows a whole lot of nothing controversial, you doubled down by essentially blaming internet "news stories" that you just "share".  Pretty weak.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Shouldn't have edited the title. The hurt butts would heal eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to ask you about that WTF title, glad I decided to read the thread.  Some folks who get butthurt with the OP over the title that matches the articles headline are not really worth responding to.

Headlines SHOULD be the thread title to prevent dupage and to make referencing the publication easier.

I'm not so sure.  I think some people get off on acting offended, and expect ass kissing in return.  

Kinda like Bryce Williams thinking everything anyone ever said was racist.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll be the first one to cry foul if it's actual animal abuse.

That video didn't show actual animal abuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm gonna have to go with "the lady doesn't know WTF she's talking about" and more than likely, that's what the trainers teach the officer to do when the animal is not performing properly. Looked to me like the "stomp" was actually the officer pushing the dog in the back or to the side with his foot. PETA bullshit smell is strong in this video.

I'll be the first one to cry foul if it's actual animal abuse.

That video didn't show actual animal abuse.

Nope. The fact that it even made the news was a stretch for something sensationalist to run with.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not so sure.  I think some people get off on acting offended, and expect ass kissing in return.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to ask you about that WTF title, glad I decided to read the thread.  Some folks who get butthurt with the OP over the title that matches the articles headline are not really worth responding to.

Headlines SHOULD be the thread title to prevent dupage and to make referencing the publication easier.

Being offended makes you a victim and victim-hood is the easiest road ever conceived to get others to feels like your feels feel.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that you thought that you were going to be a cool kid by posting a sensationalist article alleging abuse of an aninal by police officers.  However, you went about it in a half-assed manner by posting without even watching the video in question.  When several people pointed out that the video shows a whole lot of nothing controversial, you doubled down by essentially blaming internet "news stories" that you just "share".  Pretty weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The title reflected the title of the news article did it not?  That's not sensationalist at all.  

The video was only part of what was on the link.  The other part was words that formed what is called an article.  Such as the very first line-

A disturbing video from a viewer shows what appears to be a Peoria Police officer whipping and kicking his own police dog.

Show me where I was personally misleading.  Or keep whining.  Whatever.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Holy smoke, Hugo didn't get here until the second page!  You must be slipping, dude.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
As we know from the GD "police academy," K9 officers are in fact officers. So that cop assaulted another officer.

But, it's a cop getting assaulted.

And it's by another cop.

So I really have no idea what GD is going to do with this one. It's like dividing by zero twice.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The title reflected the title of the news article did it not?  That's not sensationalist at all.  

The video was only part of what was on the link.  The other part was words that formed what is called an article.  Such as the very first line-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A disturbing video from a viewer shows what appears to be a Peoria Police officer whipping and kicking his own police dog.

Keep going, guy.  Like Kenny Rogers sang, sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em.  Las Vegas was built on guys that don't understand that.

ETA
If you're going to post a thread about a video, you should probably watch the video first.  It may save you some embarrassment.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Holy smoke, Hugo didn't get here until the second page!  You must be slipping, dude.
View Quote

Oh now I get why your panties are twisted.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#13]
gave the dog a command, dog was excited and didnt listen
he gave a correction... nothing more

if my girls dont respond to a leash tug they get a pop on the butt
it causes no harm but the sound will get them to pay attention  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are quite a few LEO here that could help with information concerning police questions and such.  The problem is that replies to your question would have to be searched for though the off topic replies you'd get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Signal25 could bring good information to this thread

There are quite a few LEO here that could help with information concerning police questions and such.  The problem is that replies to your question would have to be searched for though the off topic replies you'd get.

I don't  doubt that.
My post was not a shot at you or other LEOs here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#15]
love the new title for the butthurt
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
gave the dog a command, dog was excited and didnt listen
he gave a correction... nothing more

if my girls dont respond to a leash tug they get a pop on the butt
it causes no harm but the sound will get them to pay attention  

View Quote

So many jokes ... don't know where to start without getting banned ...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Keep going, guy.  Like Kenny Rogers sang, sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em.  Las Vegas was built on guys that don't understand that.
View Quote

So I guess that means you're either going to discuss the article or go away?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread is a perfect example of why Goatboy hates us and his own site now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trainer? K9  handler? The dog whisper?
Citation?

I'm just here to learn.
I want to be sure what I'm learning  is correct.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh good grief he barely corrected that dog....

For many of us we obeyed our parents because our dad's the fear in our hearts of punishment for wrongdoing.

A strong willed dog bred for the work is a dangerous weapon....it has to be controlled and the weak willed will do poorly at such work.

Watch a momma bear correct her cubs sometime...

I'm not sure if he even go that dogs attention is was a pretty mild correction....once a dog has his blood up....they feel no pain and its
difficult sometimes when they are in drive to get their attention....
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This thread is a perfect example of why Goatboy hates us and his own site now.
View Quote

This site has never been better.
At least going back to 2009
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm gonna have to go with "the lady doesn't know WTF she's talking about" and more than likely, that's what the trainers teach the officer to do when the animal is not performing properly. Looked to me like the "stomp" was actually the officer pushing the dog in the back or to the side with his foot. PETA bullshit smell is strong in this video.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

For many of us we obeyed our parents because our dad's the fear in our hearts of punishment for wrongdoing.

A strong willed dog bred for the work is a dangerous weapon....it has to be controlled and the weak willed will do poorly at such work.

I'm not sure if he even go that dogs attention is was a pretty mild correction....once a dog has his blood up....they feel no pain and its

View Quote

This guy understands. The hardest thing I had to break my APBT of, was chasing any four legged creature in the yard. A dog that would otherwise listen to every command I gave her.

In her old age, she tolerates the chickens and barn cats without question. The deer still put her in full game mode.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anybody go away?  The premise of the "article" has been pretty well debunked for most people....  you know, the people who have actually watched the video.  You've already admitted that you didn't know what you were posting about.  When that was pointed out, you tried to deflect the issue of your irresponsibility by acting like the real issue was my somehow being overly sensitive.  Weak.  Shit, a "my bust, I guess you can't believe everything you read" on your part would have sufficed, but I guess that's asking too much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Its not a damn golden retriever. Its a dog that will bite the shit out of you and take every chance it can to be dominant over you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As we know from the GD "police academy," K9 officers are in fact officers. So that cop assaulted another officer.

But, it's a cop getting assaulted.

And it's by another cop.

So I really have no idea what GD is going to do with this one. It's like dividing by zero twice.

View Quote

Now here's a man who understands the nuances that differentiate trolling from shit-stirring.

And, OP, patience is a virtue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In your thread, I'm not allowed to greet and welcome Hugo?
That makes me sad.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were. Not going to teach the dog a damn thing, but not enough to warrant the outrage of the neighbor with the video.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wasn't going to post this cause of the new drama. but it'll be posted eventually anyway.

Peoria, Illinois -- A disturbing video from a viewer shows what appears to be a Peoria Police officer whipping and kicking his own police dog. The viewer, who wishes to remain anonymous, said it happened Saturday afternoon at 8831 W. Becker Lane in Peoria.
View Quote

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/2015/08/30/officer-whips-kicks-k-9-video-police-investigating/71421232/

If dupe don't shoot.
View Quote

This is abuse.  Hanging dogs by their leash.  Tasering them.  Beating them with plastic bottles filled with pebbles.  All documented on video and in court.  It cause the NC Highway Patrol to disband it's K9 unit.  Video here.  The trooper was reinstated with back pay in 2012.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
, what has this nation coming to??? Beat, I would call that a love tap!

First the libtards say you can't spank you kids and we lose control of our children.  Now these same jackasses are upset over a dog getting love tapped?!!!!!  

With everything going on in the world, how is this news-worthy!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah improper corrections but I don't believe he hurt the animal one bit. The leash thing was more an a attention grabber, and the foot was being used to push the dog not stomp it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Trainer?  Yes. K9  handler? Yes.The dog whisper? No.
Citation?

I'm just here to learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citation?

I'm just here to learn.

Anytime a handler/trainer loses his/her temper and self control anything after that becomes counter productive.  To be a successful trainer, you must remain calm…… that IS the most effective way to train a K9 and that is what dogs respond best to.

When I started training dogs for Shutzhund, a old very successful trainer/breeder told me " whatever you are feeling goes right down the leash into the dog."  I have found this to be true over the last 40 some years. It is especially true when trying to train high drive dominant  type dogs.  They don't respond well to bullying, being hit or threatened……  they are generally wired not to take any shit and can act aggressively when challenged …… at the very least, it creates conflict with the dog and the relationship with the handler can suffer.

There are ways to correct these dogs without reverting to " hands on " corrections or lashing out and loosing your shit.  Hitting a dog with a leash and acting confrontational is not the way to go. My personal  dogs will not except this treatment and trying to "train" them using such methods would be a disaster.

99% of the time, a dog will do whatever it can to please a handler. Often times, when a dog does not do what you want it to, it is because it does not know what is expected of it, has been poorly trained, or is a victim of it's own high drive and becomes "locked" into a behavior.

Dogs respond best to a calm, confident, fair and even handed trainer.

Hitting a working dog with a leash, etc. is a no go with any trainer I have ever worked with….. again, counter productive.

I know there are ham fisted ignorant trainers out there that think you should train a dog with a 2x4 but they are the types that end up with confused dogs full of conflict and are no where near the animals they could be.

You do not want a dog that works out of fear…… you want a dog that is happy to do the work and that respects the handler.

YMMV!!!

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep. Its not a damn golden retriever. Its a dog that will bite the shit out of you and take every chance it can to be dominant over you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why proper techniques should be used.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is abuse.  Hanging dogs by their leash.  Tasering them.  Beating them with plastic bottles filled with pebbles.  All documented on video and in court.  It cause the NC Highway Patrol to disband it's K9 unit.  Video here.  The trooper was reinstated with back pay in 2012.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't going to post this cause of the new drama. but it'll be posted eventually anyway.

Peoria, Illinois -- A disturbing video from a viewer shows what appears to be a Peoria Police officer whipping and kicking his own police dog. The viewer, who wishes to remain anonymous, said it happened Saturday afternoon at 8831 W. Becker Lane in Peoria.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/2015/08/30/officer-whips-kicks-k-9-video-police-investigating/71421232/

If dupe don't shoot.

Yep.  It looks like he was a shitty handler who couldn't control his dog.  It's too bad that he got his job back, but firing someone isn't like 'Nam.  There are rules, just like bowling:
Patrol leaders said they initially planned to discipline Jones but decided to fire him when then-Gov. Mike Easley's office intervened.

In its ruling, the court notes testimony from Jones' former supervisor, Lt. Col. Cecil Lockley, who said, "They want him gone," referring to the governor's office, and "the decision regarding Sgt. Jones' career was predetermined, not by the Patrol's disciplinary process but by an outside entity."

This video, however, sure isn't that case.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They were. Not going to teach the dog a damn thing, but not enough to warrant the outrage of the neighbor with the video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep and Yep.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Call Cesar he'll get it done. Take him for a walk . he needs a walk
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is a true statement….. the weak WILLED….. not the physically weak.

One of the best trainers I ever met was a elderly women that weighed about 90 pounds. She did not train her dogs with threat of physical corrections….. she trained her dogs with her WILL.

She had a couple of the best working Rottweilers I have ever seen.  They were hard dominant dogs but she handled them like they were Goldens.

A ham fisted physically aggressive trainer/handler would have been eaten by these dogs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Our westie weighs 25lbs and I'm rougher with him when we play
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#40]
That lady is full of shit.   I bet her dog still pisses on the floor and jumps up on people.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Anytime a handler/trainer loses his/her temper and self control anything after that becomes counter productive.  To be a successful trainer, you must remain calm…… that IS the most effective way to train a K9 and that is what dogs respond best to.

When I started training dogs for Shutzhund, a old very successful trainer/breeder told me " whatever you are feeling goes right down the leash into the dog."  I have found this to be true over the last 40 some years. It is especially true when trying to train high drive dominant  type dogs.  They don't respond well to bullying, being hit or threatened……  they are generally wired not to take any shit and can act aggressively when challenged …… at the very least, it creates conflict with the dog and the relationship with the handler can suffer.

There are ways to correct these dogs without reverting to " hands on " corrections or lashing out and loosing your shit.  Hitting a dog with a leash and acting confrontational is not the way to go. My personal  dogs will not except this treatment and trying to "train" them using such methods would be a disaster.

99% of the time, a dog will do whatever it can to please a handler. Often times, when a dog does not do what you want it to, it is because it does not know what is expected of it, has been poorly trained, or is a victim of it's own high drive and becomes "locked" into a behavior.

Hitting a working dog with a leash, etc. is a no go with any trainer I have ever worked with….. again, counter productive.

I know there are ham fisted ignorant trainers out there that think you should train a dog with a 2x4 but they are the types that end up with confused dogs full of conflict and are no where near the animals they could be.

You do not want a dog that works out of fear…… you want a dog that is happy to do the work and that respects the handler.

YMMV!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citation?

I'm just here to learn.

YMMV!!!

Good information.
I guess I should apologize for being a smartass.
So. .. I'm sorry for being a smartass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citation?

I'm just here to learn.

YMMV!!!

Good information.

Everything Dipper posted is correct from my experience. Not an expert, just have always had dogs, and my dogs work for me when we hunt.

In most cases, if the dog understands what you want it to do, they will do it. Most dogs want to please their owners.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citation?

I'm just here to learn.

YMMV!!!

Good information.

No problem. I did not take it as you being a smart ass.
Thanks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top