Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say Nimitz.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Admiral Leahy.

Just kidding. There's a reason you never heard of him.

I'm almost embarrassed to be related to the guy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nimitz with Spruance a close second.

Until the marines and sailors were able to neutralize Japanese carrier based airpower AND capture islands forward enough to allow Army Air Force bombers to make round trips to Tokyo and back LeMay was a nobody in my book. By the time these two conditions were met the writing was on the wall for the Japanese - AAF was just extra icing on the cake hastening the surrender.

MacArthur was a show boater in my book. Other then wading ashore at the Phillipines and retaking that island he was a non-entity. I personally call him the De Gaulle of the Pacific.
View Quote

My dad served form late 42 till late 45 in the Pacific. He hated MacArthur, the 'walking a shore was 3 days after the invasion by then the beach was well secured. I understand Generals don't lead a charge into battle, but the optics suck, just like NObama.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Albert Einstein.  He won the pacific and saved more lives than any man in history.  Without his work we'd have no atomic bomb.  Without the atomic bomb we'd have had far more casualties on both sides.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

We just got back from the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX.  I highly recommend it for any history buff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VADM Charles Lockwood, COMSUBPAC.  The US submarines are what really broke the back of Imperial Japan.

This.

We just got back from the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX.  I highly recommend it for any history buff.

What wine did you drink?  Any William and Chris, or Hilmey?  How about Tore de Pietria or Grape Creek?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Albert Einstein.  He won the pacific and saved more lives than any man in history.  Without his work we'd have no atomic bomb.  Without the atomic bomb we'd have had far more casualties on both sides.
View Quote

Einstein or Fermi?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
VADM Charles Lockwood, COMSUBPAC.  The US submarines are what really broke the back of Imperial Japan.
View Quote

^This...Charlie Lockwood and the crews of every sub in PACFLT.

With help from AIRPAC, a bunch of ballsy destroyer men,  and a shit pot full of steely - eyed Marines!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
MacArthur.  The only person in command who understood the entire Allied Pacific strategy and the psychology of the Japanese.  Not discounting the others' contributions, but MacArthur understood and planned for how it would end.  If he hadn't been reigned in, fewer Americans would have died in the march back up to the Philippines (IMHO, of course).
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Lockwood, and his submarines.  <as posted above>

And thanks to the contributions from the likes of my Dad;  Torpedoman Chief James Knox Polk Wilson, USN.

Ray
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If we're going to consider the Chiefs, it was Admiral King, not General Marshall, who kept the focus, and the resources, on the Pacific Theater, especially early in the war when the priority of the U. S. and British governments was Europe.  The campaign against the Japanese was a Navy war.  The Army and the Army Air Force were secondary players.

As for the atomic bomb and those behind it, the U. S. would have defeated Japan without the bomb.  The costs would have been higher, but between Operation Olympic and the naval blockade, we would have starved and killed them into submission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

'Twas a team effort, so none deserves the lion's share, but IMO, the weakest member of that team was MacArthur.

The real answer to who deserves the lion's share is, IMO, George Marshall.

If we're going to consider the Chiefs, it was Admiral King, not General Marshall, who kept the focus, and the resources, on the Pacific Theater, especially early in the war when the priority of the U. S. and British governments was Europe.  The campaign against the Japanese was a Navy war.  The Army and the Army Air Force were secondary players.

As for the atomic bomb and those behind it, the U. S. would have defeated Japan without the bomb.  The costs would have been higher, but between Operation Olympic and the naval blockade, we would have starved and killed them into submission.
I disagree.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

'Twas a team effort, so none deserves the lion's share, but IMO, the weakest member of that team was MacArthur.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

The real answer to who deserves the lion's share is, IMO, George Marshall.

Fuck Marshall.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nimitz and Spruance for the Battle of Midway victory - turning point in the war in the Pacific.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LtCol Earl Hancock Ellis, USMC, back in 1921 when he authored Operations Plan 712: Advanced Base Operations in Micronesia, which first outlined an "island hopping" campaign, and he was one of the early proponents of amphibious warfare.  He died in 1923, unfortunately, while conducting covert reconnaissance in the Pacific.

I always believed that W.E.B. Griffin's Col Banning in "The Corps" was based on Ellis.

Not everyone who makes it possible to win a war is of flag rank.

Of those listed, I would have said Nimitz, except he was going to abandon the Philippines.  There is still a little animosity towards that decision.  At least in MY family.

ETA:  My great uncle was with the 4th Marines on Corregidor.  He survived the siege, the Bataan Death March, internment at Camp O'Donnell, and a Hell Ship, only to die of beri-beri (acute malnutrition) in Manchukuo as slave labor mining coal.
View Quote

From what I`ve read Nimitz didn`t have strong feelings either way about the Philipines. Admiral King was against the Phillipines option, partly because of MacArthur and Marshal, but he also felt Formosa (Taiwan)  was superior strategic option. Admiral Halsey`s strike campaign against Formosa, the Phillipines, and northern Viet Nam is ultimately what sealed the deal as far as liberating the Philipines went.  

Halsey`s strikes revealed that Formosa was heavily defended, and could easily be reinforced from Japanese occupied China, and its` terrain heavily favored defense. This is where the USN lost the USS Princeton, our last carrier to be lost in action. In Halsey`s own report he stated the central phillipines defenses were , " a hollow shell." Add to that the fact we had excellent intelligence from the resistance movement in the Philipines, and the US had better maps and charts of the islands than Formosa made it a no brainer.

With that in mind, Nimitz really didn`t strenuously oppose the liberation of the philipines when he and MacArthur met with Roosevelt at Pearl Harbor for a military summit. Without Nimitz and the Pacific Fleet, MacArthur`s dream to liberate the Philipines was just a pipe dream.  Another point to be considered, the relief of the philipines was one of the significant milestones in War Plan Orange, which Nimitz executed in nearly perfect fashion with a few variations through the central pacific island hopping drive.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

View Quote

I'm sure this has already been posted.

It was a team effort by all citizens of the United States and our allies.  They were the leaders of course, but boots on the ground, all their supplies, their support, their reason for fighting, was all of us as a team.   From the ammunition loaders at the factories, to Rosie the riveter, to selling of war bonds.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My dad served form late 42 till late 45 in the Pacific. He hated MacArthur, the 'walking a shore was 3 days after the invasion by then the beach was well secured. I understand Generals don't lead a charge into battle, but the optics suck, just like NObama.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Until the marines and sailors were able to neutralize Japanese carrier based airpower AND capture islands forward enough to allow Army Air Force bombers to make round trips to Tokyo and back LeMay was a nobody in my book. By the time these two conditions were met the writing was on the wall for the Japanese - AAF was just extra icing on the cake hastening the surrender.

MacArthur was a show boater in my book. Other then wading ashore at the Phillipines and retaking that island he was a non-entity. I personally call him the De Gaulle of the Pacific.

Not sure about other landings, but MacArthur did indeed wade ashore on Leyte beach October 20, 1944, the day of the invasion.

ETA: He also landed on Luzon the same day as his troops:

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It was a team effort by all citizens of the United States and our allies.  They were the leaders of course, but boots on the ground, all their supplies, their support, their reason for fighting, was all of us as a team.   From the ammunition loaders at the factories, to Rosie the riveter, to selling of war bonds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

Meh.

Everybody gets a trophy is boring conversation fodder.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
MacArthur.  The only person in command who understood the entire Allied Pacific strategy and the psychology of the Japanese.  Not discounting the others' contributions, but MacArthur understood and planned for how it would end.  If he hadn't been reigned in, fewer Americans would have died in the march back up to the Philippines (IMHO, of course).
View Quote

I'd like to see the brief outline of that idea before I vehemently disagree.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You obviously don't know jack about LeMay and his time & leadership of the 8th Air Force in the Bad Times of unsupported daylight bombardment.

Great Big Brass Balls!  I'm not sure how his plane made it off the ground with that much "extra" onboard .

Nimitz & the Navy / Marines made the Air Force a factor in the ultimate defeat of Japan because without the Navy, from Coral Sea on, the Air Force would not have bases in range of Japan...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Lemay for burning down their huts....
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Lemay for burning down their huts....
View Quote

I laughed imagining a Talking Heads "burning down the huts" version.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

View Quote

FPNI.....Battle of Midway and Laytee Gulf plus island hoping by the Matines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
MacArthur probably extended the war by 3 to 6 months.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Einstein or Fermi?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Einstein or Fermi?

Lawrence and Urey.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
USMC

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nimitz and Spruance for the Battle of Midway victory - turning point in the war in the Pacific.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Grumman.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If we're passing out honorable mentions then I'm nominating Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab for the invention of the VT Fuse.  The fuse used in AA guns which greatly increased their ability to bring down enemy planes (esp Kamikazes) thus keeping more of the Navy afloat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have to go with Nimitz, the other two would not have gotten around without him.............Would have to give an honorable mention to Boeing,  Richmond Shipyards  and  Donald Roebling

If we're passing out honorable mentions then I'm nominating Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab for the invention of the VT Fuse.  The fuse used in AA guns which greatly increased their ability to bring down enemy planes (esp Kamikazes) thus keeping more of the Navy afloat.

How about the code breakers? Those guys never get the recognition they deserve.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have to go with Nimitz, the other two would not have gotten around without him.............Would have to give an honorable mention to Boeing,  Richmond Shipyards  and  Donald Roebling

all of it came together to defeat the Imperial Navy, but, it all would have been for naught with out our Navy.  Our Navy at that time had Chester Nimitz at the helm. Hell, had it not been for our Navy, MacArthur would have been captured by the Japanese at Corregidor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

American Caesar by William Manchester.  Not short by any means, but of the three books I read on MacArthur, his was the only one that conducted original research which incorporated the original notes and memoirs of the other leaders noted here, and senior Japanese military.  I thought his work was by far the most convincing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Island hopping made the pacific small.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Nimitz for certain.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Island hopping made the pacific small.
View Quote

or manageable at the very least.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meh.
it is nit a coincident the reds war against japan  3 days after Nagassaki the bomb ended the war the russian entry was a non event.

Soviet entry was more a determining factor in timing of surrender than the a bomb, IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

OP poll fail no gen Groves He's the one that did it.

Meh.
it is nit a coincident the reds war against japan  3 days after Nagassaki the bomb ended the war the russian entry was a non event.

Soviet entry was more a determining factor in timing of surrender than the a bomb, IMO.

it is nit a coincident the reds war against japan 3 days after Nagasaki the bomb ended the war the russian entry was a non event.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LtCol Earl Hancock Ellis, USMC, back in 1921 when he authored Operations Plan 712: Advanced Base Operations in Micronesia, which first outlined an "island hopping" campaign, and he was one of the early proponents of amphibious warfare.  He died in 1923, unfortunately, while conducting covert reconnaissance in the Pacific.

l.
View Quote

I didn't know this thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

OP poll fail no gen Groves He's the one that did it.

Meh.

You're quote tree is all jacked up, but I took this to be your point.

A non-event?

Really?

I would entertain as a serious point an opinion that it was not the decisive event, but a non-event?

You are misinformed.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top