User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out the Revision's.  The Hell Fly Ballistic is my favorite.  They have posted discount codes for us on this site before. I believe the code "FANS" will currently get you 30% off. Military might be able to get them cheaper.

http://www.kotte-zeller.de/$WS/kotte-zeller-shop/websale8_shop-kotte-zeller-shop/produkte/medien/bilder/gross/100136.jpg

what is their site? A google search just gets me to a bunch of retailers, can't tell which is "official".

eta: quoting you shows a link.  Denmark?

http://www.revisionmilitary.com/

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
tried others. I have ray ban, prada,l and oakleys. I wear my oakley 95% of the time light frames good lenses and can take a beating. Been wearing them 15+ years no issues.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have owned all types of sunglasses.  I will only wear Maui Jims now.  For all the Costa Del Mar fans, a fun fact for you, The Sunglass Hut will not even carry Costa Del Mar's because they dont rank in the top 10 in optical clarity.  Try a pair of Maui Jims and you will never look back.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
What the hell is asian fit? Will they fit if im not asian?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Get plastic frames. You'd have a hard time convincing me Oakley's metal framed sunglasses are still USA made. If not, they aren't worth the premium.

I'm pretty sure their plastic framed sunglasses are still US made.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a pair of Oakley s and a pair of Maui Jims.  Both are good glasses, but I prefer the style and polarization of the Maui Jims.  The Oakleys are rugged as shit though.  I actually slammed mine in a car door(freak accident, don't ask).  Both ear pieces snapped off, but with a little effort, they snapped right back in no worse for wear  I will say that the lenses in the Oakleys have not held up as well as I had hoped.  After a year, they have some pitting.  Still wearable, but certainly not perfect anymore.

Hint on high end sunglasses.  Buy them from a local eye doctor.  They don't have to charge sales tax  At least that's the case in TX.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Strait Jacket Ice Iridium Polarized for work.
X Squared Ice Iridium for when Im not working
Flak Jacket Persimmon shooting glasses
And I have Bottle Rockets for my clear glasses

And they are all prescription my insurance helped out a good bit and I blew my flex spending account out of the water.

Yeah Im a fan boy.  But I tell you what they are an outstanding product.  Very durable and comfortable to wear.

Sir James...

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If they're for fishing, get Maui Jims, Costa del Mars, or Ocean Waves.

+100000

I am on my second pair of Costa (15 years). I have never found anything to beat them on water. Maui Jims are great too but do not seem to be durable enough. I leave them at home when I fish. Ocean Waves get good reviews but I have never owned any to comment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I own several Oakleys...and my polarized "tightropes"..are pretty good-
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Flak Jackets here. I've had these for five years or so. I used to wear the old Minute glasses before they changed them. Been wearing Oakleys for 15 or so years.  

I'll be buying the polarized lenses next.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Maui Jim or costa del mar

Those are your best choices for polarized.  Period
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim lenses blow Oakley away.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I did inventory management for a company that carried Oakley. They used to have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Had a pair of Fives and the lens coating started flaking off (picture window tint bubbling).  Sent them back, got "we don't warranty lenses anymore, only the frames have a lifetime warranty".
Ok, but when I bought the glasses (all components).....they had a lifetime warranty.
"We don't honor that anymore"

Year or two passes and my other pair of Fives crack (favorite pair, green with gold iridium lenses), so I send them in.

"Frame warranty is only a year, these are out of warranty"

Fuck you oakley.

I have Maui Jim in my car, and use Maxx outdoors. The maxx lenses are as good as oakleys. They don't hold up as well, but Maxx are $15 a pair so when they get scratched up toss them and get another pair.

The Maxx salespeople harassed me for months to try their glasses, and my response was "I don't want crap glasses in our stores". They sent me a demo pair and the lenses really are awesome, especially given the price.

Like I said, fuck oakley.

Sunglasses are all keystoned at retail (retail is 2x's wholesale), so find a small account who will negotiate on price. Big guys won't because the glasses companies can pull accounts for advertising below msrp.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#14]
GTG
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I just wore out a pair of Polarized Bottlecaps (11 years). Just bought a new pair.

I will wear nothing else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I think that they're great sunglasses, I don't know about the price though.  
I bought mine through US Standard Issue, and at those prices, I couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$200 for sunglasses. F-that.

I paid $120 for the Bottlecaps I just bought from Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What the hell is asian fit? Will they fit if im not asian?

The frames are wider across face to more comfortably fit people with wider faces.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Other thing I hated about Oakley were their employees.  The sales rep was a surfer/hippie/douche who said "yeaaaah maaaaannnnn" in response to anything.  Shipped thousands of dollars of unordered goods to our shops, then when I refused to pay the invoices, they tried to turn us over to collections.  I documented everything and told them to take me to court.  No purchase order ='s no payment.  They finally said "ship them back" then tried to charge us a 25% restocking fee....for something we never ordered in the first place.

Every employee I dealt with there acted like they were engaged in a hobby and i was bothering them.  They acted like they were doing me a favor by doing business with us.

We switched and started carrying Maul Jim, Ray Bans, and Costas and  any of those is as good or better than Oakley, and all had actual business-like customer service.  

Dealing with oakley is like trying to run a business with a bunch of surfer potheads.

I still wear the maxx doing anything outdoors.  $15 a pair, you break, you toss.  Most of their frames are cheesy looking, but a couple aren't too bad.  I wear the Cincos when fishing/hunting, riding ATV's or doing yard work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I wore Oakleys for years but the lenses on my last pair didn't hold up well at all.  Unusably scratched and pitted after 2 years.  I bought a pair of $20 Peppers at REI and they seem as good optically and are holding up better.  Plus, since it's REI, they are guaranteed for life.  If you want Oakleys I would buy them at REI as well since at least they will replace them when the lenses turn to crap.  Oakley won't anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Costa Del Mar glass 580 lenses in whatever style you choose.

Nothing else is even close for use on the water.

Oakley is the HK of sunglasses...a very good product thats not nearly so good as their Marketing Department would have you believe.  COsta, , Kaenan and Maui Jim all make lenses that kick the ever loving shit out of the best Oakley has to offer.

And this is from someone who drank the a Oakley Kool Aid...I was  an avowed Oakley man ( at one time I had 7 pairs) until I tried Costas. I haven't looked back, and never will.

Going to pick up a pair this week. I wanted the Turbine model but don't see it in brochure anymore.
Salt Life is advertising in my local fish wrapper. They teamed up with Ziess for the lens for whats that worth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes they're worth the price. If you are a first responder (or if you know somebody who is who you are OK with bugging), you can get a sizable discount on certain models/styles (non flashy ones).
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Defiantely, worth the price. They last forever, fit better, clearer lenses, etc etc. I will never buy a cheap pair of sunglasses again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely, they're worth it!  As most have said on here already.  I've been an M frame addict for 20+ years.  Their quality is superb, and hell...the lenses are even bullet proof.

I remember back in the 90s they would have a pair of Blades setting at the display that had been shot by a 9mm...it didn't go through...
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to wear Oakleys.  Now I have a pair of Costa Saltbreaks.

ETA: Pic--these are what I have now.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#26]
You want the most durable glasses look into Numa,none better...
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#27]
3 pair I've owned over the last 20 years have all broken the frame, and I am by no means hard on them.  I wear Revision, Dillon, and Maui Jims now.  Couldn't be happier.  Fuck Oakley-never again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Im looking to get some new polarized sunglasses for fishing. So my question is for the people who have a pair of oakleys are they worth the price?  Or some recommendations of other brands you prefer.
My grandson has the Oakleys MLB which he wears upside down on his baseball cap, thinks he is Derek Jeter.....$165 an arm and an eye

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#29]
They WERE worth the price.

Now, not so much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Another vote for Maui Jims.  I have a pair that were a bit scratched after about 15 years.  I sent them back to get replacement lenses for $60.00 + shipping.  The girl that was replacing the lenses called me to see if I wanted new frames as well because the old frames didn't have rebuildable hinges.  No additional charge.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Oakleys don't make a glass lensed product.

If your chief priorities are clarity, polarization, color, and scratch resistance look elsewhere.

Costa del Mar, Maui Jim, Smith, Hobie, and Serengeti make better lenses (glass) if the above applies.

Costa, Maui Jim, and Smith make low light or variable light lenses in glass, specific to fishing needs.

Costa's Green Mirror 580 is IMHO the best lens out there if you prefer a copper/amber lens and has a 10% VLT.
Maui Jim's neutral grey lens is IMHO the best lens out there if you prefer a grey lens, also has a 10% VLT.
Smith's copper mirror photochromic lens is IMHO the best lens out there if you prefer a variable VLT for low and high light conditions VLT is higher overall.

Maui Jim's HT glass lens (green tint) is awesome in lower light or overcast.

Of course if you don't want glass, the best clarity and color (always my chief concern) is the lens made by KAENON in various VLT %'s. I like their copper 12% variety almost as much as the Costa's. Their lens material is proprietary (not polycarbonate, not glass) and is clearly more optically correct than anything other than glass, and much more impact resistant than glass. It also is not as soft as polycarbonate so will not scratch as easily (still not as hard as glass).

Oakleys are great at what they are, but these are not their best features. IF you are looking for style and impact protection, they are great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I used to wear Oakleys.  Now I have a pair of Costa Saltbreaks.

ETA: Pic--these are what I have now.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3000/ea362/products/29106/images/57928/BK01GRAY__65069.1358187825.1280.1280.JPG

Are you even Tier 1, bro?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Check out the Revision's.  The Hell Fly Ballistic is my favorite.  They have posted discount codes for us on this site before. I believe the code "FANS" will currently get you 30% off. Military might be able to get them cheaper.

http://www.kotte-zeller.de/$WS/kotte-zeller-shop/websale8_shop-kotte-zeller-shop/produkte/medien/bilder/gross/100136.jpg

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of these. The code works and they are running a sale so, I got a pair for $55.99. Not too shabby, even if they did rape me on the shipping.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I wear 3m Fuel sunglasses.  30 bucks a pair and much better all around than any Oakley's I've tried
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Oakley sunglasses you say?

MISSION:

ACCOMPLISHED!

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I've worn Oakleys for years.  I was given a pair of Costas and use them for fishing, but they haven't held up near as good as the Oakley's. The nose piece ripped as did the rubber coating on the ears.
I've bought my Oakley's on the Gov/LEO deal.  Someone earlier mentioned that they only come subdued.  Oakley has added a ton of new products to their SI site.
I also just bought some Smith Optics.  So far I like them as well.  They also offer Gov/LEO/public safety discount.
I have Oakleys that are 7 years old and still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I ran over a pair of flak jackets with the steer tire of a Peterbilt and they were still in one piece, albeit scratched. I put new lenses in them and still wear them from time to time. I have a pair of M-frames that are my safety glasses. They are my favorite ones, I need to buy polarized lenses next time. I also have a pair of polarized Oil Rigs that I wear when I am driving or in a high glare situation (like fishing) and I love them except they are heavy on the ears. It starts to hurt after a while, but it may just be my hat pushing down on them. All in all, Oakleys are worth the money. Just the fact that you can change out the lenses for well under half price makes them worth it.

You need to take care of the lenses, or they will scratch easily. They are very soft the get the impact rating they want, and the iridium lenses scratch even worse. Do not wipe them down with lens cleaning wipes, only a dry cloth and they will last forever.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top