Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How many nails does she need in her careers coffin?

Amen to that.  Her 15 minutes were up LONG ago.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mustve been shorter than that, cause I don't remember her being good.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mustve been shorter than that, cause I don't remember her being good.

I never said she was.  I'm just saying she can only ride her sister's coattails for so long.  Time's up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm tellin' ya.  She needs to STFU and take her top off.  It's the only thing that will save her!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm tellin' ya.  She needs to STFU and take her top off.  It's the only thing that will save her!

That's what you told ME, and look where _I_ ended up.  Married to some bozo!

Son of a...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Son of a...

You're saying this so much lately, you should use it as a sig line.

And every time you use it, I laugh uncontrollably.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I can safely say that was the WORST halftime show in the history of football!

The performers sucked. The sound sucked. The whole thing sucked.

No wonder the fans booed. For goodness sake, next time let the school's marching bands play. They'd sound 10x better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Alright. I am no teeny bopper, but let's get a few things out in the open here.

How many people in this thread have ever done a live performance? In front of a lot of people? In a large venue?

There is a problem with performing like that. The problem is called "I can't hear what the **ck I am doing." When you are out on the 50 yard line all you hear is a loud roar sometimes.

Now through all of that some people can maintain perfect pitch. Others, even though they have a good voice, cannot. It doesn't mean they have no talent, nor does it mean they are frauds. What it means is that some people need to hear their music to be able to pick the pitch and stay in tune with it.

If this chick couldn't hear her music in some sort of sane way (like with those custom earphones everyone uses these days) then it is no wonder she couldn't hit the right notes.

Ever listened to the Beatles do some live stuff? There were times when the Beatles were totally out of tune both vocally and instrumentally, but there was no way to tell because they couldn't hear themselves anyway. John Lennon complained about this fact in later interviews. Does that mean that the Beatles were no-talent hacks? No.

This kid, whoever she is, (I assume she is some form of teenie bopper) may not be the best singer in the world. But even if you put some of the best singers in the world in that situation they would most likely flop too. Multiply that by 1,000 if they were having technical difficulties.

I have been on stage when your entire sound setup takes a dump. I have been on stage completely unable to hear my guitar when everyone in the audience could hear it just fine because of acoustical dynamics of the venue. I have tried to maintain proper pitch in a wall of disorganized sound.

None of that stuff is easy. And when it all goes to poop there you are standing on stage and naturally absorbing all of the questions and hostility because you are the only one the audience sees.

Take it from someone who has performed on a big stage in an open venue: It is a MIRACLE when you manage to get everything to sound right. There is a reason the top sound engineers get paid mondo bucks to set stuff like this up: Because they are the only ones who know how to pull it off. If they got bubba the sound guy on the cheap, then he could make Pavarotti sound like a dying cat.

Good sound men are worth their weight in platinum. They can make a bad singer sound good. A bad sound guy can make a good singer sound horrific.

People think being on stage is easy. They haven't the foggiest notion of what it takes to pull off a 3 minute song.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Whoever the sound engineers were sucked as bad as she did. You couldn't even hear the first performer. Trace Adkins did "ok" during his, but the sound was still off. But poor Ashley simply sucked.

Granted, it probably wasn't her own fault. But had the sound been perfect, she still couldn't sing. I think the only reason she even has a record contract is because of her sister. And she isn't much better. LOL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I havent seen Ashlee Simpson in concert, but I have seen her sister.  If Ashlee is sucks as bad as her sister then she does indeed need to shut up and take her top off.

I saw Jessica perform as a part of Jingle Jam in Duluth during 2003.  Out of the 5 acts there, the only people worse than her was the local GA band, The Wigs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Jessica actually sounds good in comparison (not saying much for Jessica obviously) and looks a whole helluva lot better.  I still have no idea how Ashlee got a record deal and even more, how she keeps it. I guess some people actually buy that crap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:38:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Alright. I am no teeny bopper, but let's get a few things out in the open here.

How many people in this thread have ever done a live performance? In front of a lot of people? In a large venue?

There is a problem with performing like that. The problem is called "I can't hear what the **ck I am doing." When you are out on the 50 yard line all you hear is a loud roar sometimes.

Now through all of that some people can maintain perfect pitch. Others, even though they have a good voice, cannot. It doesn't mean they have no talent, nor does it mean they are frauds. What it means is that some people need to hear their music to be able to pick the pitch and stay in tune with it.

If this chick couldn't hear her music in some sort of sane way (like with those custom earphones everyone uses these days) then it is no wonder she couldn't hit the right notes.

Ever listened to the Beatles do some live stuff? There were times when the Beatles were totally out of tune both vocally and instrumentally, but there was no way to tell because they couldn't hear themselves anyway. John Lennon complained about this fact in later interviews. Does that mean that the Beatles were no-talent hacks? No.

This kid, whoever she is, (I assume she is some form of teenie bopper) may not be the best singer in the world. But even if you put some of the best singers in the world in that situation they would most likely flop too. Multiply that by 1,000 if they were having technical difficulties.

I have been on stage when your entire sound setup takes a dump. I have been on stage completely unable to hear my guitar when everyone in the audience could hear it just fine because of acoustical dynamics of the venue. I have tried to maintain proper pitch in a wall of disorganized sound.

None of that stuff is easy. And when it all goes to poop there you are standing on stage and naturally absorbing all of the questions and hostility because you are the only one the audience sees.

Take it from someone who has performed on a big stage in an open venue: It is a MIRACLE when you manage to get everything to sound right. There is a reason the top sound engineers get paid mondo bucks to set stuff like this up: Because they are the only ones who know how to pull it off. If they got bubba the sound guy on the cheap, then he could make Pavarotti sound like a dying cat.

Good sound men are worth their weight in platinum. They can make a bad singer sound good. A bad sound guy can make a good singer sound horrific.

People think being on stage is easy. They haven't the foggiest notion of what it takes to pull off a 3 minute song.

My wife says...

She has sung in front of 40,000 people (approximately).  She says Ashlee is a no-talent hack, and should have had an earpiece.

Ashlee sucks.  Sorry, my friend.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm quite sorry but in terms of talent and ability, jessica is not only a pop performer but she has a real voice too.

and G-DDAMMIT THOSE THINGS ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, what codec do i need for that clip?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My wife says...

She has sung in front of 40,000 people (approximately).  She says Ashlee is a no-talent hack, and should have had an earpiece.

And your wife should have also told you that the singer in front of 40,000 people is absolutely helpless about what happens to her band or her sound.

And what if her earpieces weren't working, which is a theory I put forward that you overlooked.

And do not get me started on the kind of major foulups that happen when you try to roll out a gigantic stage show 3 minutes after the half ends when you are trying to hook everything up like mad.

I am telling you from personal experience that performing in a sports venue during a halftime show (soundchecks, BTW are done in an EMPTY stadium. Do you know what kind of effect on sound 25,000 warm bodies packed into a stadium has??) or in any other place where you have to setup quick for a performance can be a royal disaster for a number of reasons.

But everyone's first instinct is to blame the singer. Believe me when I tell you that more often than not it isn't the singer's fault. The singer is the most helpless person around in a situation like that.

Unless you have tried to pull off something of that magnitude in that timeframe, under those circumstances, you really don't understand.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

before you defend her you should know that ashlee simpson has been widely regarded as a no talent hack for a LOOOOOOONG time before this.

mike

I am not defending this kid. What I AM saying is that there are a whole lot of people who are willing to give an opinion on something they have absolutely zero experience with. I have had enough experience with live performances to learn that if it actually goes according to plan then you have been blessed by the gods.

Most of the people so quick to criticize have no clue what they are talking about.

And as to regarding talent, it has been my experience that the musical tastes of the average American hardly qualify them to speak on the topic of talent.

I don't know what this kid sings or what she is about, only that she seems to be some other teenie bopper's sister. I am not saying she is good, but I also refuse to say that she is bad based on a live performance that doesn't go well.

As I said, if we used the same standard on the Beatles, they would flunk too. So would BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and tons of other greats who have all been bitten by the gremlins of live performance. Even musical geniuses have times when they have stunk up the stage, which is one of the reasons they are so demanding about the people they work with.

If you had to risk looking like an idiot in front of millions of people and then having a bunch of people with no idea what they are talking about (like music critics) tear you to shreds, then you would be pretty picky about how things went too. That is why most musicians are the worst type A people in the world: Control equals security on stage for them.

Every great performer has had moments when they sucked the royal lemon. Every great band has. It is the way of the world. This kid just seems to have had hers at the worst possible time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#20]

And your wife should have also told you that the singer in front of 40,000 people is absolutely helpless about what happens to her band or her sound.

And what if her earpieces weren't working, which is a theory I put forward that you overlooked.

In my defense, I actually did say that.  I've definitely been in situations (and seen situations) where the sound situation was less than ideal, and it's quite possible that she couldn't hear herself, especially if her earpiece went out.  If worse came to worse, though, she could stick her finger in one ear and still be able to have some idea what she sounded like.  Goofy-looking?  Yes, but better than sounding awful.

That being said, in my personal opinion, Ashlee Simpson really isn't a very good singer, and neither is Jessica.  I don't think any good sound guy could save her.  Her studio stuff sounds passable (much like J.Lo's), but pitch correctors were made for people like her.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife says...

And do not get me started on the kind of major foulups that happen when you try to roll out a gigantic stage show 3 minutes after the half ends when you are trying to hook everything up like mad.

I am telling you from personal experience that performing in a sports venue during a halftime show (soundchecks, BTW are done in an EMPTY stadium. Do you know what kind of effect on sound 25,000 warm bodies packed into a stadium has??) or in any other place where you have to setup quick for a performance can be a royal disaster for a number of reasons.

But everyone's first instinct is to blame the singer. Believe me when I tell you that more often than not it isn't the singer's fault. The singer is the most helpless person around in a situation like that.

Unless you have tried to pull off something of that magnitude in that timeframe, under those circumstances, you really don't understand.

I call BS on that.  What about people who sing acapella?  No band. No special voice effects.  A singer should be able to SING without ANY support.  The singer's voice should be the ultimate instrument in any song, not the guitar or drums or keyboard.  When you hear the Star-Spangled Banner in a stadium with thousands of people and the only instrument is the voice of the singer, you can tell if the singer is good or not.
Ashlee Simpson is tone-deaf and her voice is flat.  Some people just DON'T have the natural ability to sing, and I am one of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#22]
It just needed more cowbell, that's all. The crowd wasn't booing, they were yelling "Cowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwbell !"
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I call BS on that.  What about people who sing acapella?  No band. No special voice effects.  A singer should be able to SING without ANY support.  The singer's voice should be the ultimate instrument in any song, not the guitar or drums or keyboard.  When you hear the Star-Spangled Banner in a stadium with thousands of people and the only instrument is the voice of the singer, you can tell if the singer is good or not.
Ashlee Simpson is tone-deaf and her voice is flat.  Some people just DON'T have the natural ability to sing, and I am one of them.

I have, btw, sang acapella. In fact, it was the Star Spangled banner, and it was sung at a large sporting event....where your voice reverberates across this massive open area and you find that the note you just sung a minute ago is drowning out your ability to hear what you are trying to sing right now. It is nowhere near as easy as people make it sound.

Singing acapella and staying on key takes talent. But it is also EASIER than trying to sing in a large whirling mess of sound. That is my point. Singing acapella with the echo and the noise was bad enough when singing by yourself in a fairly quiet stadium because people are being respectful of the Anthem. But add in all the other crap, and the person who could have done just fine by themselves may get lost. It is difficult, even for very good singers, to maintain perfect pitch when their ears are being assaulted by tons of other sound. Even if they have learned to shut out other sounds enough to hear what they need to sing in their heads, (which only comes by certain types of training that I am willing to bet few pop stars ever go through) enough distraction will mess up the best of them.

You measure a singer's raw ability by how they sing on their own. But even the best singers can get lost in the middle of a swirling nightmare of bad sound and bad acoustics and technical problems.

Not to mention that even the best singer can have voice problems from time to time, especially when temperatures bounce all over the place.

The simple fact is that a single or even a couple of bad performances does not a bad singer make. To really judge whether or not this kid is a talented singer, you need to put her in front of some of my vocal instructors and let them put her through the wringer. I would believe their verdict before I would the verdict of a bad performance, because I have seen some of the most talented people have a bad day or a bad show, or even a couple.

People think being in the music biz is easy, just like they think a lot of things are easy from the outside. They have no idea what they are talking about.

I am telling you this as a guy who has perfect pitch. I have experienced for myself all the stuff I am talking about. Having perfect pitch does not make one a good singer or musician. The lack of perfect pitch does not necessarily make one a bad singer or musician. The quality of someone's voice (meaning its tone) and the song being sung have a great deal to do with the judgement of "good" or "bad."

I, for instance, am clasically trained, and my voice has a certain tone appropriate for certain things. If you tried to get me to sing an AC/DC song, I would sound horrible. But if you got the lead singer from AC/DC to sing Ave Maria, HE would sound horrible.

Being a virtuoso in anything has subtleties to it that outsiders do not understand. In a live performance like this, there are so many factors at play that the average person is unaware of that the average person's judgement on it is only correct by accident. The whole backlash against this person seems to be one of the most arbitrary things I have seen. She has a bad performance or lip syncs, and she is a bad singer.

But every other musical act popular today does the exact same thing this girl does, and they are lauded for it? It makes no sense. What I don't get is all the hostility aimed at this one person and the capricious judgements being made about her qualifications for being a singer from people who don't understand what being a singer is about.

I am not defending this kid or her music because I don't know much about her or it. But I do know that what little I have seen does not justify the statements being made.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It just needed more cowbell, that's all. The crowd wasn't booing, they were yelling "Cowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwbell !"

After watching the tape again in slow motion, I concour with this opinion.

The performance needed more cowbell.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#26]
The video didnt' play all that well for me, but the sound came through loud and clear. She sounded like she did after the SNL "goof-up": her voice all cracked and broken. I'm not convinced she actually sang the song that is being overplayed on the radio because it sounds nothing like her.

I liked the brief half second of silence right before the mixed reaction from the crowd,  which sounds mostly like booing.

NOthing pleases m more than to see someone like her fall flat on her face in front of millions. I wish it happened more often to people like that who shouldn't be given any props in the first place. The only thing that sucks is even if she disappeared tomorrow, she's still sitting on a pile of cash for doing nothing of any real value.

She's just another fad that'll pass soon enough... people's attention spans aren't long enough for someone of that little talent to last much longer. Although you can always question that statement with "how the hell has Madonna lasted as long as she has?"

Ashlee who? Jessica who?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Having listened to the audio thread, I am reminded of the old story regarding the cat, its rear end, a combustiible liquid and a match.

Whoa...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm quite sorry but in terms of talent and ability, jessica is not only a pop performer but she has a real voice too.

and G-DDAMMIT THOSE THINGS ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, what codec do i need for that clip?

here
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw her on Leno/Letterman a while back...she couldn't carry a tune with a friggin' co-signer.  It's pretty clear WHY she lip synchs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Link to video?

Your avatar is hilarious!!

wtf??
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Here's the video
www.monhaut.com/media/simpson.avi

... what a loser, I see Drudge has even picked up the story. She's outta here!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Link to video?

Your avatar is hilarious!!

wtf??

Its the animated uterus under her name.........
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I have to thank Ashlee Simpson, she's the only one who performed worst than my Sooners, barely!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#35]
[crowdchant]overrated[/crowdchant](OU)

[crowdchant]overrated[/crowdchant](California)

[crowdchant]overrated[/crowdchant](Ashley Simpon)
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Last hour, Fox News said they were going to show the video clip of her getting boo'ed. I turned the channel and forgot to turn it back before they showed the clip. So FNC is showing it.

Leno will probably have a few jokes about her tonight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
[crowdchant]overrated[/crowdchant](OU)

[crowdchant]overrated[/crowdchant](California)

[crowdchant]overrated[/crowdchant](Ashley Simpon)

Fuc#in' great avatar!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I for one and glad that she turned in another lackluster performance. Why you ask? Because it's only a matter of time before she hits rocks bottom after which she will have no other options left except to puruse a career in porn. Then perhaps she can display her real "talents".
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Should've gotten these two instead.

Solid.  Solid as a rock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't care for her music, but I felt bad for her when she was booed. She is young, and trying to keep up with sis, who could blame her for wanting to sing too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Sucubus
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I for one and glad that she turned in another lackluster performance. Why you ask? Because it's only a matter of time before she hits rocks bottom after which she will have no other options left except to puruse a career in porn. Then perhaps she can display her real "talents".

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
who?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
She sucked almost as bad as OU.

Thats cold.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here are my feelings for Ashlee...

www.lipsync.us/download.php?f=www.lipsync.us-Ashlee-Simpson-MadTV-Skit.wmv

Alanis Morissette is just as bad.  I got stuck seeing some of her performance when I went to see Garbage open for her.  Shirley wasn't lip-syncing and sounded really good live.  She even had a cast on her arm, yet she didn't drop out.  Then when Alanis came out is was so obvious she wasn't singing.  We were watching on a close up monitor as we were leaving.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#48]
She needs to hone her skills with her band in small clubs around the country, and learn to become a good liver performer. She DOESNT need that asshat of a dad throw her into the shark tank with a steak around her neck. That performance was bad, it was half her fault, and half all the others in the production of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Thankfully, my porn career is in my past now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
what a lovely voice....

I'd hit it
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top