Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, no otherwise law-abiding American should turn in a gun like that. However for the purpose of the discussion;

1) Remington 870, 20" rifle-sight (smooth) barrel with 8-shot extension. slugs and buckshot

2) Enfield .303 or .308 with ammo on stripper clips, Ideal would be a .308,shorter version in a "scout" rifle configuration.

The Marlin lever gun is OK ,You can top off the mag as you fire,  but an Enfield with strippers would reload much faster.

Back it all up with a S&W K or M frame .357 revolver with speedloaders full of 38+p ammo .

What ever you pick, practice, practice, practice
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I would go with a quality scoped detachable mag .308 until it gets banned.

Then go with a lever gun until it gets banned.

Then go with a single shot rifle until it gets banned.

Then go with a crossbow until it gets banned.

Then go with a compound bow until it gets banned.

Then go with a baseball bat until it gets banned.

Then I will then use a wooden slat that I pry off of the cattle car.  I will wield it viciously against the guards as they drag me off to the showers.    

I hope I wouldn't wait that long to fight back.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe time spent calling and emailing the representatives of Illinois would be more useful

ITS been done !!!

than a thread about which rifle from the late 1800's is more suited to SHTF...

If you have called and emailed your representative, why dont you contact others? I sent emails to every one of the 118 representatives on the GOA list that had an email address, and have called over 40 of them at this point. If you have done all of this already, I am sorry for assuming you haven't. But, if you have done this or more, you would know to do it again. Get back to work and forget about selling your property.

ive emailed almost all of them.....some border walkers twice

we are puting heavy pressure on them...

but they are also getting heavy pressure from the govoner and mayor daley also to pass it....

DONT tell me i need to do this and need to do that ..its allready been done...........!!!!!

illinois problem is it has many wishywashy republicans in the state....

hell we have more progun dems than republicans............

its just a mess here
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Remington Model 7 .223 with a fixed power 4X scope
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't believe it's gotten to a point where people will HAVE to turn over their Right. WT???

There is a lot worse than dying to uphold your Rights. I hope all of you lawful citizens in IL that turn over your guns suffer the anquish of being such a slave/chickenshit/pussy/traitor

to the Constitution you are. May it haunt your days.

And turn in your man card.

slave/chickenshit/pussy/traitor
i really wish you where standing in front of me sayin that...................................

does it say anywhere in my post that i will turn them in???.................

now lets use that little pea sized brain of yours.......

i move my weps away from prying eyes........

what do i use now "harsh language?"  hmmm might not be that effective......

now this thread comes in"what would a good rifle be to use that would be LEAGLE...?????

Well there ya go genius
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
swiss K31, one of the fastest cycling manual loaders.

and a bunch of stripper clips loaded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Depending on how they write it up,  the M1 GARAND might be the best choice.
8 rounds of en-bloc clip is powerfull and very fast to reload(with practice).

It does not have a detactable magazine.

I'd feel better armed with a GARAND then a lever action or 870.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
everyone here talks a big talk. Nobody will do shit except piss and moan on arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]

ops144 said:

DONT tell me i need to do this and need to do that ..its allready been done...........!!!!!

Again, "it" has not already been done. Maybe you are done. "it" will be done when we finish HB2414 again this time around. So, go do "it" some more...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
everyone here talks a big talk. Nobody will do shit except piss and moan on arfcom.

Speak for youself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get a marlin 94 in .357

Yep...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First of all, no otherwise law-abiding American should turn in a gun like that. However for the purpose of the discussion;

1) Remington 870, 20" rifle-sight (smooth) barrel with 8-shot extension. slugs and buckshot

2) Enfield .303 or .308 with ammo on stripper clips, Ideal would be a .308,shorter version in a "scout" rifle configuration.

The Marlin lever gun is OK ,You can top off the mag as you fire,  but an Enfield with strippers would reload much faster.

Back it all up with a S&W K or M frame .357 revolver with speedloaders full of 38+p ammo .

What ever you pick, practice, practice, practice

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/599485

In addition to stripper clips you can get additional magazines.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Mauser 98k.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Umm....sorry to tell this bud, but if it comes down to confiscation in your state....THAT IS SHTF.
So you will either have to move or....well, read this.

I just don't want to die alone

+1

Right on the money.

+2

"From my cold, dead hands..."

But that really sums it up for me.

I WILL NEVER TURN MY GUNS IN.

The only way it will happen is after I am killed by the GUN GRABBING SHIT HEADS.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#15]
A bolt gun of the .308 variety.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I am not turning anything in and I am not handing anything over, If they want it they can come get it. I have contacted my local rep. and been published in the local paper denoncing this BS.  If door to door confiscations and imprisonment start. Shit has hit the fan.  They try to pass this BS every year, it is clearly unconstitutional both Nationally and State. Even if passed I feal it would be ruled so on the state level.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i am in the peoples republic of Illinois

and there is a good chance we may very well loose our semiautos...

ie:turn them in to authorities,,have it rendered nonfunctional,,or move it out of state....

pure bs but i need a back up option if this goes through...

and no i cant move"job/pension/sick kid"

what would you use for a "rifle"

minies and kel-tec where not on the list as of yet....but it

may come to a bolt or lever/pump gun.

cross your fingers for us we are puttin pressure on them hard but we'll have to see  

thanks in advance

For "overt" use, in a limited SHTF scenario (defined as one in which there is some sort of temporary breakdown resulting from a massive power blackout, storm or some such), and "law and order" is functional and expected to return, I would recommend either a good shotgun such as an 870, or Mossy 590 series, or a lever rifle, particularly 30-30.  If the leos function at all, you will be legally answerable for any use, by which I mean they will look at the weapon.

The 30-30 will do as well as a 7.62x39 ballistically, though the rounds will be blunt, and you can get off rounds with a lever as fast as with a semi.  A shotgun works fine, too, and will be politically acceptable, which apparently (and logically) is of concern to you.

Then there is the SHTF which is TEOTWAWKI, resulting from all out attack, major terrorist attack which has everything in chaos, or some apocalyptic natural disaster (can't imagine in IL, unless you are nearer MO with the earthquake potential).  No law enforcement, corrupt or otherwise, or they are themselves part of the criminal element, looting for their own benefit.  It depends what semis you have.  If they are not the kind which are convertible to full auto, sell them off as they are useless anyway. Might make an exception for Garand.  While I don't know what the detail of the laws are, I would expect that the proposed law is addressing the semis which can be converted to full auto.  But, again, if you have the commercial BAR, for example, sell it anyway.

Not advocating or directing someone else to break the law, so I'll say what I would do for myself.  I would select a convertible weapon and do the conversion, legal or not, pretty or not.  Then bury it, deep.  In TEOTWAWKI, it comes up, and one will not have to worry about repurcussions.  In ordinary SHTF as in the first paragraph, it woun't be necessary, and won't have to be seen.  Yes, this is a borderline CoC violation.  No, I don't care, it's time for pussyfooting to stop.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I can't believe it's gotten to a point where people will HAVE to turn over their Right. WT???

There is a lot worse than dying to uphold your Rights. I hope all of you lawful citizens in IL that turn over your guns suffer the anquish of being such a slave/chickenshit/pussy/traitor to the Constitution you are. May it haunt your days.

+1, if youre coward enough to let them rape you of your rights, then you deserve everything they do to you and your families.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ie:turn them in to authorities,,have it rendered nonfunctional,,or move it out of state....

cross your fingers for us we are puttin pressure on them hard but we'll have to see  

thanks in advance

For "overt" use, in a limited SHTF scenario (defined as one in which there is some sort of temporary breakdown resulting from a massive power blackout, storm or some such), and "law and order" is functional and expected to return, I would recommend either a good shotgun such as an 870, or Mossy 590 series, or a lever rifle, particularly 30-30.  If the leos function at all, you will be legally answerable for any use, by which I mean they will look at the weapon.

The 30-30 will do as well as a 7.62x39 ballistically, though the rounds will be blunt, and you can get off rounds with a lever as fast as with a semi.  A shotgun works fine, too, and will be politically acceptable, which apparently (and logically) is of concern to you.

Then there is the SHTF which is TEOTWAWKI, resulting from all out attack, major terrorist attack which has everything in chaos, or some apocalyptic natural disaster (can't imagine in IL, unless you are nearer MO with the earthquake potential).  No law enforcement, corrupt or otherwise, or they are themselves part of the criminal element, looting for their own benefit.  It depends what semis you have.  If they are not the kind which are convertible to full auto, sell them off as they are useless anyway. Might make an exception for Garand.  While I don't know what the detail of the laws are, I would expect that the proposed law is addressing the semis which can be converted to full auto.  But, again, if you have the commercial BAR, for example, sell it anyway.

Not advocating or directing someone else to break the law, so I'll say what I would do for myself.  I would select a convertible weapon and do the conversion, legal or not, pretty or not.  Then bury it, deep.  In TEOTWAWKI, it comes up, and one will not have to worry about repurcussions.  In ordinary SHTF as in the first paragraph, it woun't be necessary, and won't have to be seen.  Yes, this is a borderline CoC violation.  No, I don't care, it's time for pussyfooting to stop.

Enough with the Pussification of American......if door to door confiscations happen....make sure you do not die alone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
when they take your guns, the SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN.

I'm gonna have to give this a big +1.

What's next?

"BEST KNIFE FOR SHTF?"

"BEST AIRSOFT FOR SHTF?"

"BEST RUNNING SHOES FOR SHTF?"

You guys make your stand. I'll back you up if it comes to that.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#21]
XDbackup, exactly.  Hence the last sentence.  It's time to stop.  The guy in the original post has his sick kid to worry about, so he has to pu t that first.  But, I include confiscations as TEOTWAWKI since not only would the 2nd Amendment be violated, but so would the 4th and 5th.  And, to avoid being on the wrong end of the "Equal protection" clause, that would be everyone (as an aside, I'd love to see Lesley Stahl, the "60 Minutes" interlocutor for Feinswine have her door kicked in by JBTs - the only way confiscations could work; Feinswine, too, unless you want to start with "exceptions"  for privileged classes). Then it's "Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war."
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#22]
If they ban semi autos, the shit HAS hit the fan, as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

thanks in advance

Sounds like some IL folks need to step up to the plate.  It's hard for me to believe that the hunters and gun owners along with the NRA aren’t up in arms over this (no pun intended). What has happened in that state for this to get to this point?  Get involved politically kick the liberals out!  They would have a very hard time getting me to turn mine in.  They would have to find them first.  If you need to ship them out of state, send them to me for safe keeping!
ETA:  I'd go with the Marlin 30-30 too!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#24]
If I can't have my guns, I'll go with a 4" black powder cannon stuffed with 3/8 ball bearings. Try running from that and see how far you can get before the wind is whistling through you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#25]
If I could have "less evil" semi autos, I would choose a Mini-14 or a .30 carbine.

If all semi autos were out, one of the Remington 7615P 16" carbines that takes AR mags would be my first choice.

A Marlin .30-30 carbine and an 870 would also be good options. The ballistics of a .30-30 are nearly identical to the 7.62x39 and a lever is faster than a bolt gun.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a lot worse than dying to uphold your Rights. I hope all of you lawful citizens in IL that turn over your guns suffer the anquish of being such a slave/chickenshit/pussy/traitor to the Constitution you are. May it haunt your days.

+1, if youre coward enough to let them rape you of your rights, then you deserve everything they do to you and your families.

I wonder what would happen if all the gun onwers sold their property and left the state.

Has anyone contacted the NRA?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got a Winchester Model 94 .30-30 that holds eight rounds in the tube. That or a bolt-action .308 or .30-06 rifle would be my primary longarm with a .357 Magnum revolver as my sidearm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#28]
dont get me started on how stupid this law or illinois politicians are.

however, you will be able to use semi automatics rifles, like a mini14 or such.

HB2414 is banning "semiautomatic assault weapons"

as for my rifles they want me to get rid of, they are going on a boat trip with me this weekend, i hope that nothing happens.

edit -  here is a short article i jsut came across that is feeding the fire, written by who else but the chicago tribune.  they are a BIG part of the problem we have in illinois.  notice how they dont talk about how many handguns have been confiscated in chicago and they have had a handgun ban in place since 1982 i beleive

article
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#29]
First thing is a shovel and some PVC, but like Fight4yourrights says..."if it's time to burry them its time to use them"

SKS or Garand if the law is like Californias

A good lever gun in .357 with a pistol in the same if you envision close fighting (in my mind more likely)

a good milsurp bolt gun, preferably in .308 (FR8 or converted Enfield)

lots of practice to make up for lack of technology, low tech can beat high teck in many situations if you know how to use it
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
ops144 said:

Again, "it" has not already been done. Maybe you are done. "it" will be done when we finish HB2414 again this time around. So, go do "it" some more...

ive been doin it for weeks and will do it until it either dies or becomes law.......

now if it becomes law i need input for that situation.........

I NEVER SAID I WOULD GET RID OF THEM........................!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#32]
What are the chances of the ban becoming law in Illinois?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

last time it was voted on in may of 05

57 YEAS to 58 NAYS with only 2 reps not present

edit - LINK
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

edit - LINK

IS the NRA doing anything about this?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Marlin Lever action w/ long barrel, long mag tube.

.357 125 gr jhp, 1850fps.  Hot loads, and can still carry a shitload of ammo.  Sheeple won't be as skeerd of a John Wayne rifle.

Remington makes a pump rifle, a 7600, I think, that accepts AR15 mags.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

edit - LINK

IS the NRA doing anything about this?

i saw one alert but that was it...i would asume they are helping but i honestly dont know

now i know the illinois rifle association is down there...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Good luck in Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#40]
thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I think in terms of a "knock-around" gun: a sturdy rifle or carbine with iron sights that takes ammo that is readily available in sporting goods departments. The first two non-semiautos that come to mind are a lever action in .30-30 and an iron sighted bolt action in .30-06. Classic hunting ammo. Classic guns. There aren't many choices in iron sighted bolt actions anymore. One option is a Remington BDL, but I'd replace the stock with a Boyd's laminated stock because the buttplate on the .30-06 BDL is plastic. For the lever action, I like the Marlin 336C. The third knock-around gun that come to mind is a shotgun with slugs and buckshot.

GL
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Why no mention of the Savage 99 lever gun? Strong as hell and chambered for the .308... That's a sweet gun.. fullclip

Agreed they  are sweet. Had a Browning BLR in .308 and it was nice also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#43]
how about one of these?

Crossfire 223 Rifle / 12 gauge Shotgun Combo

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Well  the mossy would help, untill I get the cosmoline out of the rifles that came"back" from Japan area. then there are the 12 "cans" of ammo that go with them. No I don' want to sell them. they are bolts,  but they aren't here they were left  where they were they found, in the factory, and my uncle got the purple thingy for no reason.
Don't ASK Don'T IM
They are LOST
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]
If you can't have a Garand then a Lee Enfield or a Mauser 98K
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#46]
BB gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Guys.. the Enfield comes in .308 from the factory... Its called a 2A or 2A1.  I am sure you all knew that.  I have a 1968 2A1 one myself along with a BSA 1917 No1. Mk3.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#48]
+1 for the Enfield.

N0.4 Enfield in .303 British.  I have about 400 rounds of .303 ready to go on stripper clips, and an extra mag to boot.  On my hip would be my Browning Hi-Power.    I KNOW the rifle, how it shoots, and I can cycle that bolt just as fast as any Tommy in WWII.  

Second choice would be my Rem700 ADL in .223 Rem, and the 6-18X scope, due to ammo, ranges, light weight, etc.

But, I too, think if it has gotten to the point of non-FA or non-SA only... the SHTF already.    

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember around 10 years ago you could buy new, in the cosmoline, .303 Enfields for around $250.

GL
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Lee Enfield

Best bolt action ever.

10 round detachable magazine

Stripper Clip fed.

Some companies even make newly manufactured magazines so you could keep spare mags loaded.

I don't know if anyone makes a 308 clone.  IIRC some company had planed to make new ones for a lot of money (~1000) but I don't think it ever went through.  Could buy a milsurp and have it rebarreled and converted to 308 or other common caliber.

There are several scope mounting options from traditional to scout scopes.

I agree w/ the above thinking  . I would suggest a nice Mauser 98 as issued military . Ammo is DIRT CHEAP now , and .303 is hard to find right now . Of course any minuite someone will discover another "Last Lot" . 8mm is the cheapest .

Or the same goes with a good Moisin Nagent , I would prefer SMLE or Mauser 98

A gun like that along w/ a mountian of ammo you could leave to your family .
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top