Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to lose a best buddy and a member of the family. I'm sure you'll do what is best for both of you.

Best wishes.

ilike9s

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sell him to a chinese restaurant.

Had to be a dick didn't you?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
we had a similar situation when my dalmation died, we ended up getting him cremated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a guy who has a dog he had stuffed after it died. It is sitting on its haunches by the fireplace in his den. It seems a little strange to me, but I guess some people feel differently.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had to be a dick didn't you?

jesus, have you ever heard of giving back to the community? let me guess, you don't recycle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope things work out  

If dogs were teachers, you would learn stuff like:

o   When a loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
o   Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
o   Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your
    face to be pure ecstasy.
o   When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
o   Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
o   Take naps.
o   Stretch before rising.
o   Run, romp, and play daily.
o   Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
o   Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
o   On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
o   On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady
    tree.
o   When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
o   No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the
    guilt thing and pout, run right back and make friends.
o   Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
o   Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
o   Stop when you have had enough.
o   Be loyal.
o   Never pretend to be something you're not.
o   When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by
    and nuzzle them gently.

And finally,

o    Never trust anyone until you smell their butt.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had to put my dog Grendel to sleep a few years ago.  He was in so much pain that he was howling.  The vet came to my house and I held him while the drugs took affect, I cried like a baby.  Grendel heard me saying, "You're such a good boy" to him over and over like I had a 1000 times before, as he fell asleep.

Afterwards, I put in in a very large, heavy duty, Rubbermaid box and froze him.  About 3 weeks later I drove through snow to bury him in the Eastern Sierras, on public land, 70 miles from a city.  I check on his grave, adding lava rocks almost every time I'm up there.  

www.varminter.com/img/grendel.jpg

(My fiance' painted the rock, it says, "Grendel, Such a good boy")

Anyways, my point is, if there is a place you go to alot that you are sure they will not develop in the future, why not place him in something that will allow no scent to escape and bury him there?  I'm not sure if you have those types of places where you are, but it always warms my heart thinking about where he's at and that I can go see/talk to him anytime...  

Good luck with everything, it is heart-breaking everytime I read about someone losing a dog.

EAM  

That's a good thing you did there, E_M.  I don't know you from A_M (Adam_Mayer ), so I won't claim to "know," but I've got a hankerin' that Grendel would/does approve.

Edited to close parentheses.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I will offer my soul to the devil if it means I get the opportunity for a face to face with you.

Know this, you are on a very short list of people I genuinely wish to meet.

All the other internet shit is a joke, but you have crossed one of my lines.

i live in little rock, ar. if you're ever near, by all means, im. we'll do lunch, i'll buy your soup. i know a great place.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
SteyrAUG,

I am sorry to hear of your struggle (and his).

The way I see it, there are only two [other] options that haven't expressly been mentioned thus far:

1) I'll start with a modification of something others have already suggested: If you go the cremation route, omit the urn from the equation (i.e. when you get him to his "final" resting spot in the future, just bury his ashes wrapped in his blanket).  The urn is "aftermarket," so to speak.  Or, you could bury the urn, but maybe respectfully break it so as not to "restrain" him (don't know if that makes sense to anyone other than me right now - in that context and/or Mazel Tov?).

2) If you know where you'll be moving in the future, you can always scout out an appropriate area there now, and bury him in it when "the time" comes.  That way, once you *do* move, he will be there waiting for you. [Edit: after I finished writing this, and finished reading the rest of the thred, I see FiftyCalibre has already suggested essentially the same thing - except he offered wise enough counsel to suggest actually acquiring permission.] [Now further edited to add that this option won't work at all since I've now read your post #16391, which states that you know not where y'all will end up.  Sorry.  Maybe Option #1 will still help.]

I'm sorry if none of this was any help.  It is, afterall, just my $0.015.

I have every confidence (as does your best buddy) that whatever you end up doing will be the "right" thing.

[ETA: I just got the spark for this idea while reading JohnBlade23's post, but instead of taking him to your favotite state park to bury him *after* he dies, why not take him there *now*?  Go camping, Steyr, if at all possible.  If he passes during your last trip/journey together, bury him there before you return.]

Best Wishes,

Jake.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I say go for the urn. Just keep him in the urn until after you move. Then you can sprinkle his ashes once you get to where you plan to stay, or you can bury the urn wrapped in his blanket. Good luck, and I'm sorry about your dog.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
In all seriousness, it's just a dog corpse.  The dog you loved is gone, off to doggy heaven.

I would just drop it off at the dump.  Or burn it, if that's a viable option.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In all seriousness, it's just a dog corpse.  The dog you loved is gone, off to doggy heaven.

I would just drop it off at the dump.  Or burn it, if that's a viable option.

Wow that sounds like something he would want to do.......

I think the urn is your best bet right now. sorry.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If I was closer to you I'd build you a heavy steel box to put your friend in. Wrap him in his bedroll then bed him with dry sand and weld the lid on tight without burning your bud. Coat the box with bed liner and bury it. Dig it up when you leave. It'll be in good shape for many years.

Get a welder friend to do it for you. Stainless steel if you don't mind the expense.

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Steyr, sorry to hear about your pup. I'd go the cremation route.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]
As I write, at home there is a fairly small box with the SECs pcture on it that will contain his ashes when he goes.

Anyone specializing in pet burials can hook you up.

Prayers sent for you and your pal in this time of sadness.

Pic

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear about your lose SA. The love between a dog and his owner is strong.

Down the street from me a Man had a heart attack when he was burning some brush. His dog stayed right beside him and burned with him.

P.S. I think you made the right choice.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thats respecting an old friend! FUKING A@SHOLE!

S/A....What about cremation now and then burying the urn when you settle down?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#22]
My German Shepard that I had for 13 yrs developed cancer and I had her operated on once. It came back recently and I had to have her put down. She was suffering and I had a script of painkillers for her. After a few months I decided it was time and had her put down. I played with her all she wanted the last few months. She was happy but tired after frisbee chasing. It was time.

I had her cremated and have her ashes in an urn for now till we get a house. Then she will be buried.
I realize you said no urn, but it's what I did. Her urn sits in her old food dish on the mantle in our apartment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I know you have made your final choice,but for those that sugested Taxidermy I believe Roy Rogers horse Trigger is on display!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I will offer my soul to the devil if it means I get the opportunity for a face to face with you.

i live in little rock, ar. if you're ever near, by all means, im. we'll do lunch, i'll buy your soup. i know a great place.

I have never before thought that I would actualy want to harm a person because of
somthing I read in a post,
Let me just say this...
SteyrAUG, If you ever want to go for a ride thru Little Rock AR. ( to see the Sites )
IM me and I will give you my # I would love to ride shotgun
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ok, after much consideration I finally figured out what is "most right."

No matter what this is the only home my buddy knows so this is where he'd probably want to be. In the yard in the spot where he likes to sun himself all day I will place him wrapped in his favorite blanket.

To insure he will never be disturbed I will then plant a tree above him. He will then become part of the tree which will live longer than even I or my wife will. When the tree is large enough I will carve his name on it and it will grow and shade the same home that once provided him shelter.

If dogs do have some form of soul I know this is the home he would come to looking for us and will see we did the right thing by him. And when we one day pack up and move he would see that as well and either follow us to our new home or stay in his own yard standing in the sun with a nice shady tree nearby if he gets too warm.

And if we ever return on vacation, while new owners will occupy our home, we know we can't just visit my buddies resting place, but at least we will be able to see the tree and know he is there and protected by it.

I want to thank those who offered suggestions. It was your ideas that I was able to weigh against what is right and finally come up with the proper solution. You all helped more than you may realize and I thank you for that.

Even Sierra Hombre was useful, he reminded me that my dog is deserving of this important final decision and service because as proven by SH's example, my dog is better than many people.

Actualy, there are ways to add visiting rights when you sell a home.
When my grandparents passed away my family sold thier home, but retained the
right to use the private beach that came with the property.
I dont know if that helps but I thought I would bring it up so you could Visit if you wanted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Plant something that you can take a few cuttings from when you leave. Some kind of tree that is not likley to be cut down by the next homeowner but one that bears a seed likley to yeild another tree. Cherry trees are easy to get new trees from.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
S/A,
I think your tree idea is wonderful and beautiful.  It is certainly reassuring to know that there are folks like you out there who really care about their animals and I am so glad that you found a workable solution.  Good luck with the coming days.
ML
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to be there for that myself AUG, in case you feel like company.

Really, truly sorry about your friend. You're a good man for the thought and consideration you've put in to this. Don't pay attention to this fuckin' nit wit who posted this crap. He serves only to dilute this process of yours with his bullshit comments. Every second you spend on a guy like this is one less with your dog.

You'll do the right thing. Your dog couldn't have asked for any better. Know that, and get comfort from that. Your dog won the lottery with a friend like you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Even Sierra Hombre was useful, he reminded me that my dog is deserving of this important final decision and service because as proven by SH's example, my dog is better than many people.

LOL.  FUckin OWNED!

Cheer up mate.  Think of the good times you both had.  Everything comes to an end sooner or later, and you would have had a great time with your pal.  It would bite to see him go but try to stay happy.  If you never had him, you wouldnt have had any of the great times you had.

Sorry if I dont make sense.  But seriously, fuck the BDU group buy for now.  Dont waste the time.  We will still be here, your buddy wont.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Ideally I'd bury him in the back yard wrapped in his favorite blanket in the spot where he liked to sun himself.

Do this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#31]
sorry about your pet.  got two myself and dread the day...

this is a bitt odd, but just saw in the paper (yesterday?) where they can make a yellow diamond out of your loved ones (pets?) cremated remains.  I thought it was kinda odd-but people are doing it!

I personally would find a nice place to bury him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ok, after much consideration I finally figured out what is "most right."

No matter what this is the only home my buddy knows so this is where he'd probably want to be. In the yard in the spot where he likes to sun himself all day I will place him wrapped in his favorite blanket.

To insure he will never be disturbed I will then plant a tree above him. He will then become part of the tree which will live longer than even I or my wife will. When the tree is large enough I will carve his name on it and it will grow and shade the same home that once provided him shelter.

If dogs do have some form of soul I know this is the home he would come to looking for us and will see we did the right thing by him. And when we one day pack up and move he would see that as well and either follow us to our new home or stay in his own yard standing in the sun with a nice shady tree nearby if he gets too warm.

And if we ever return on vacation, while new owners will occupy our home, we know we can't just visit my buddies resting place, but at least we will be able to see the tree and know he is there and protected by it.

I want to thank those who offered suggestions. It was your ideas that I was able to weigh against what is right and finally come up with the proper solution. You all helped more than you may realize and I thank you for that.

I waded through the additional pages to see if you had come up with a decision- SA, burial with a tree planted over is a great idea.

By Pangea:  Plant something that you can take a few cuttings from when you leave. Some kind of tree that is not likley to be cut down by the next homeowner but one that bears a seed likley to yeild another tree. Cherry trees are easy to get new trees from

I also like Pangea's input above.  

And now I'll check the Bear Pit to see if anyone has commented on Sierra Homo's complete lack of empathy.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

And now I'll check the Bear Pit to see if anyone has commented on Sierra Homo's complete lack of empathy.

Sly

Don't know about the Bear Pit, but Sierra decided he'd like to IM me his thoughts.....

"From :: [ Sierra_Hombre ] :: [ 8/30/2004 1:12:40 PM ]

Be sure to check in with SteyrAug to see if he ever comes near Little Rock. I'll buy your soup, too. My treat."

He's a fuckin' moron....another annonymous tough guy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sly

Don't know about the Bear Pit, but Sierra decided he'd like to IM me his thoughts.....

"From :: [ Sierra_Hombre ] :: [ 8/30/2004 1:12:40 PM ]

Be sure to check in with SteyrAug to see if he ever comes near Little Rock. I'll buy your soup, too. My treat."

He's a fuckin' moron....another annonymous tough guy.

whatever. i'm not the one who said they wanted to meet someone. people insinuate that they wish to do me harm and i give them directions. someone jumps on the bandwagon and i privately im to extend them the same invitation. i'm not trying to be a tough guy, just trying to be an accommodating guy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Whatever you do, if you do decide to bury him (i.e his body) make DAMN sure you dig deep enough and cover with rocks.  I buried little Skipper (what was left of him after he starved to death for a month, poor little guy) in our back yard.  Imagine our horror and my wife's agony when we woke up one day to find half of him strewn over the yard.  Not a pretty sight, and my poor wife still gets upset about it occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Can we get a lock an an account please????? (Never thought I'd suggest that!)

Anyways, years ago I was faced with a similar situation due to the sudden accidental death of my Rottie Connie. I was in a rental, and burial at the house was simply not an option.

So I took her (all 100lbs) out to the California desert, and set her afire. After saying a few choice words and letting the fire die, I left. I periodically visit the site, and have no regrets doing it this way.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Can we get a lock an an account please????? (Never thought I'd suggest that!)

Anyways, years ago I was faced with a similar situation due to the sudden accidental death of my Rottie Connie. I was in a rental, and burial at the house was simply not an option.

So I took her (all 100lbs) out to the California desert, and set her afire. After saying a few choice words and letting the fire die, I left. I periodically visit the site, and have no regrets doing it this way.

If the space was available to cremate your pet yourself, I think that's a damn good idea. At least you'd know for sure where their ashes were.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to hear about your buddy. Remember all the good times.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I think your best option is cremation and saving the ashes until you move.  One urn does not an urn collection make.
My Mom cremated her "best buddy" and saved the ashes for about seven years or so until she died.  She is buried with her best buddy now.  It was her final wish and I didn't see any problem with it.  I took care of it for her.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey Steyr here is your solution:

The Solution

Woman Turns Husband's Remains Into Diamond

A Minnesota woman has honored her late husband by turning his cremated remains into a yellow diamond so she could always keep a part of him with her.

Nancy Wodziak wanted to honor her husband Richard in a special way after he died from a brain tumor last October. So, she became the first person in the state to turn a loved one's remains into a diamond.

Wodziak received her brilliant,half-carat yellow diamond after eight months of waiting.

"This certainly seems like a neat idea as far as diamonds are forever," Bradshaw Funeral and Cremation Services spokesman Justin Bradshaw said. "Some people feel it's a neat thing and that they're glad that I told them and other people I think feel that this is not for them."

"I think that's creepy," a woman said in the report.

To create the ring, the cremated remains are heated to extreme temperatures, and then the carbon is subjected to a tremendous amount of pressure. The result is a stone identical to diamonds that develop deep within the earth over millions of years

The nitrogen in the air causes the diamonds to be yellow in color. The company says yellow diamonds also occur naturally but are very rare.

The cost for a quarter carat is about $2,500 and goes up to $13,000 for a full carat. The diamonds can be made into any size.

Life Gem offers the services and some funeral homes assist loved ones in making the arrangements.

The company also makes diamonds from the cremated remains of pets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I haven't seen this personally but I have heard that there are picture frames that hold the ashes.  You wouldn't be starting an urn collection just a picture on the wall to most people.  And you will always have him with you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top