BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The shooting itself may have popped some of the balloons.  Or maybe a downdraft at just the right time dipped it down enough to snag something.  Surely if he planned it that much, he would have made sure he had enough balloons to float the gun.

Why didn't he attach a longer line to the ballons to get them out of the muzzle blast?

It's a stupid plan.

If he just got drunk and rammed his car into a bridge abutment at 100 mph, it would be called an accident and no investigation.

this murder thing is overly complicated, brings a bunch of nosey cops into the picture.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If he just got drunk and rammed his car into a bridge abutment at 100 mph, it would be called an accident and no investigation.

this murder thing is overly complicated, brings a bunch of nosey cops into the picture.

He did go for the Rube Goldberg approach, didn't he?  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The shooting itself may have popped some of the balloons.  Or maybe a downdraft at just the right time dipped it down enough to snag something.  Surely if he planned it that much, he would have made sure he had enough balloons to float the gun.

Why didn't he attach a longer line to the ballons to get them out of the muzzle blast?

It's a stupid plan.

A good friend of mine runs a wrecker in a small town outside of Austin. He got a call that someone that went fishing found a truck lodged in the bank of the river hood first. When LEO showed up they found the driver dead.

He wasn't wearing a seat belt, was sitting on his Bible and had his rosary beads wrapped around his hand.

Sad scene
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There would still be powder residue on his shooting hand even if the balloons had worked.  Sad situation.

On CSI the guy pulled his sleeve over his hand to pull the trigger..

They would still find the GSR on the shirt. You'd have to do it so you went into the drink afterwards to take care (maybe) of the GSR.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a good idea, what if childern were to find the gun after it floated away?

Oh yea, CSI needs to be taken off the air because of this too.  Remember how much flack Ozzy and video games have taken?

Do it for the childern!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
why would you try to hide the fact that you killed yourself ?

You eaten at Red Lobster lately?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They would still find the GSR on the shirt. You'd have to do it so you went into the drink afterwards to take care (maybe) of the GSR.

At, or within 6" of contact distance, aren't there generally powder particles impacted into the surrounding skin, such that they wouldn't wash away?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did go for the Rube Goldberg approach, didn't he?  

LOL

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes they do.
They pay so long as the policy is in effect for 2+ years.
My guess is, the money wasn't the issue.
Suicide and the stigma of suicide is a hard thing for a family to live with.

He owned a 250k house outright so he wasnt doing too bad money wise. I bet it was more the stress of the dying wife that did him in
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There would still be powder residue on his shooting hand even if the balloons had worked.  Sad situation.

Very simple.  You make a cloth shroud between the hand grip and the cylinder.  Add two more balloons to compensate for the extra weight.

GSR and powder burns around the wound are to be expected whether it's a murder or a suicide.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very simple.  You make a cloth shroud between the hand grip and the cylinder.  Add two more balloons to compensate for the extra weight.

GSR and powder burns around the wound are to be expected whether it's a murder or a suicide.

Of course you could just stand waste deep in a flowing river to do it and not worry about balloons at all.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably insurance.  They don't pay out for intentional acts.

Yes they do.
They pay so long as the policy is in effect for 2+ years.
My guess is, the money wasn't the issue.
Suicide and the stigma of suicide is a hard thing for a family to live with.

+1 on the pay-out deal, mine policy is that way.

I would tend to agree with you on the stigma of suicide deal, but murder is just as bad or worse. At least with suicide it's over and there is little wondering. With murder, there are more unresolved feelings for family members. I know a little about this as my ex and I found her father's body after he shot himself. It was TOUGH. But murder would have been worse.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
wow, NRH is about five minutes from me...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Dumbass!  I have little sympathy for people who off themselves especially when they have a family.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#15]
So many better ways:

Take a short drive with Ted Kennedy, preferably over water.

Make it look like autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong.  If you fail to choke yourself out,at least you'll get a happy ending out of it.

Go fishing and "fall" out of the boat.  Taking your gun collection along is optional.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I still like the guy who built his own guillotine and used it on himself.  Thats going out with flare.

2007/9/15

A man in Detroit built a guillotine and used it to commit suicide in the woods:

Allen Park Deputy Police Chief Dale Covert said the roughly six-foot tall guillotine was bolted to a tree and included a swing arm. Covert said police also found several store receipts detailing the materials used to assemble the device.
"I can't even tell you how long it must have taken him to construct," he said. "This man obviously was very determined to end his life."
This is not the first such incident; some three years ago, a man in Sheffield killed himself in a similar fashion, after telling relatives he was building a toy car as a surprise.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Still doesnt beat this

www.jonco48.com/blog/Rip_20it_20off.gif

Put the cheese wire on a retractable reel hidden in the ceiling.  After your head pops off,
the wire retracts into the reel and if nobody thinks to look in the ceiling, they'll never
find out how you really did it.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course you could just stand waste deep in a flowing river to do it and not worry about balloons at all.

Nah, the gun wouldn't go very far.  I guess you could tie the gun to something buoyant, using some type of water soluble string.  But, the cops know that no self respecting assassin is going to walk into a river.   Muddy water is hell on fine Italian leather shoes.  

Plus, you couldn't wade out to far, because you want the body to be found.  Thats the whole point of it.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still doesnt beat this

www.jonco48.com/blog/Rip_20it_20off.gif

Put the cheese wire on a retractable reel hidden in the ceiling.  After your head pops off,
the wire retracts into the reel and if nobody thinks to look in the ceiling, they'll never
find out how you really did it.

CJ

You put a lot of thought into this stuff, CM...?  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing we will never know for certain is whether or not he bladed .45 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Life insurance?

life insurace pays for suicide after the first 2 years in force anyway
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
He could have stabbed himself in the heart with an Icicle
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Even better,  plan for it by having blood drawn at the local blood bank.  When they're done, grab your bag of blood and run away with it.

Using a suitable mold in the shape of an icicle,  freeze your own blood into an icicle.  
Stab yourself in the heart with it.

When it melts...there's not even any water at the death scene that shouldn't be there.

It's the perfect crime against yourself...IF you don't give your right name to the blood bank.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Even better,  plan for it by having blood drawn at the local blood bank.  When they're done, grab your bag of blood and run away with it.

Using a suitable mold in the shape of an icicle,  freeze your own blood into an icicle.  
Stab yourself in the heart with it.

When it melts...there's not even any water at the death scene that shouldn't be there.

It's the perfect crime against yourself...IF you don't give your right name to the blood bank.

CJ

Why involve a blood bank at all?  Just buy a syringe and draw your own blood.

Cool idea, BTW.  You should write to CSI.  

Of course, in the desert, the water would evaporate in no time, so there's no reason to not just use water and make it easier.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#25]
icicle in the heart?  No way an icicle is strong enough to do that.  You'd have to make a huge icicle and drop it on yourself off the roof or something
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#26]
We should ban icicles. There's obviously the potential for danger here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah they do. I found out the hard way when my dad died.

Sorry for your loss.

Of course, it'd depend on the specific policy language, but I had always thought it was pretty much universal.  I guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're going to try to make it look like you got murdered, why don't you just go talk shit to some gang bangers, and actually get yourself murdered?  I would think that's easy enough to accomplish...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for your loss.

Of course, it'd depend on the specific policy language, but I had always thought it was pretty much universal.  I guess I was wrong.

I think if the policy has been in force two years, a lot of their (insurance co) exclusions are no longer enforceable.  Been a long time since I cared about life ins though so I dont completely recall.

On the blood icicle thing, if you freeze the blood, the walls of the cells will burst and the CSI team would be able to figure out what you did

I saw a guy on one of those day time talk shows once that tried to kill himself by drinking drain-o.  Ended up just burning up the equipment from his throat down so they connected what was left of his intestines and on every bite he has to push the food down manually (connected on the outside of ribcage).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Plenty of high crime areas where they would have "helped" him "out"

Ennywun got chaynge 'fo a fiddy?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Actually it was murder.

It was an attempt to make it look like a suicide that was intended to look like a murder.

bingo!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for your loss.

I think if the policy has been in force two years, a lot of their (insurance co) exclusions are no longer enforceable.  Been a long time since I cared about life ins though so I dont completely recall.

On the blood icicle thing, if you freeze the blood, the walls of the cells will burst and the CSI team would be able to figure out what you did

I saw a guy on one of those day time talk shows once that tried to kill himself by drinking drain-o.  Ended up just burning up the equipment from his throat down so they connected what was left of his intestines and on every bite he has to push the food down manually (connected on the outside of ribcage).

The CSI guys probably wouldn't even test the blood around the wound, they would be looking for and testing blood in the surrounding area for the perps blood or DNA.

Anyway , do it in the dead of winter where there is cold and the blood would refreeze
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1

Pull up, leave the car running with the door open, cap yourself.  Within two minutes the car and the gun will be gone, and nobody's gonna say a word to the po-po.  Your family gets the insurance, another unsolved homicide sits on the books, everyone's happy.  Hell, maybe the cops pick up a known felon, stick him with the crime, and another shitbird gets taken off the streets!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Pull up, leave the car running with the door open, cap yourself.  Within two minutes the car and the gun will be gone, and nobody's gonna say a word to the po-po.  Your family gets the insurance, another unsolved homicide sits on the books, everyone's happy.  Hell, maybe the cops pick up a known felon, stick him with the crime, and another shitbird gets taken off the streets!

Overload the next round so the gun KB's on the felon. One less gun on the "street" possibly two less felons overall.

It's all win from there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Overload the next round so the gun KB's on the felon. One less gun on the "street" possibly two less felons overall.

It's all win from there.

Nice!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It's all win from there.

Nice!

Yeah, the dude drove right through Albuquerque. Central is not that far from I-40 and there are a lot of people there who would have happily obliged him.

Without balloons.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It's all win from there.

lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Obviously CSI caused this guy to commit suicide.  We should ban it for the children.

This
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Should have jumped in a river, and then shot himself. Weapon would have sank and he would have floated far away.

Corporate execs,... no wonder the US is hurting.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I imagine he wanted whom ever the primary beneficiary was to get his life insurance benefits.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

which is why you go to a busy public range before hand, and let people know you were going
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top