Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Phatom II was the king of whoop-ass in it's day.   Dropped, shot, fired just about everything in the airborne arsenal at one point or another.  

Dad flew 'em in 'Nam... told me a few stories... a very impressive plane, even to this day.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Eat your hearts out. The checkerboard helmet is me when I was young and pretty.  

i1.tinypic.com/rr15j9.jpg

Wow, so you must be REALLY old, eh?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, so you must be REALLY old, eh?

It's not the years, it's the miles.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, everybody, for turning this into a good F-4 Phantom thread!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...A friend of mine was a Marine aviator, and he flew F-4s. They used to fly low over the desert and kick on the afterburners and stand the aircraft on it's tail as they passed old wooden shacks, blowing them to pieces.

What was his callsign? Odds are I know him.

Once we flew across a frozen lake so low that we were raising rooster-tails of snow. I looked over at my wingman, and he was knocking over ice-fishing shanties. They were skittering away across the ice pretty impressively, I wonder how many were occupied.

i1.tinypic.com/rr6r9y.jpg

Watch out! Some guys got on me for chasing off a 1/4 scale RC model in a C172 and I have seen an F4 nearly crashed after a collision with a Canadian Goose!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't the Israeli's still upgrading theirs? Quite a design.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've not posted this pic for a while.

UK RAF F4 after Major servicing. The engineering team normaly waits between the two hangars and the jockey who we had who used to deliver the kites back to user units would always do a beat-up for the engineers.

Many people took pics down from the hangar roof (I have some of a Tornado from above flying this same route)

It may not look impressive but you had to be there.....as you can see the pilot is in full reheat passing between the hangars below the height of the hangar.

I loved working on these aircraft more than any other aircraft. And I've done the rounds...Phantom/Bucanner/Tornado/Canberra/Hawk/VC10/Jaguar/JP/Bulldog/Gnat..etc

www.hunt101.com/img/329982.jpg

Cheers
Taffy

Guys I'm a bit miffed here...I was googling Phantom images and came across this website where my pic is being hosted... I'm not claiming copyright or anything but how's someone else claiming knowledge/ownership of this pic. I have the original in my hand. I am the only one ever to scan it and post it publicaly. The only place I have posted the pic was here. And some one recons they know someone with this pic on their office wall.....not possible.

The pic is not similar but exactly the same. I know posted images are not realy owned one posted..but the cheek of these guys is incredible.

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39321&page=2

hmmm....

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh-oh....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I know I should not get rattled by this ....but

I'm fucking hopping mad.

Here's exibit A
(I've just tossed pics everywhere trying to find these two originals)

Nuff said.

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm a fan of the Wild Weasel version.

img159.imageshack.us/img159/852/f4000000043eq.jpg

Yeah, they do lots of HARM.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know I should not get rattled by this ....but

I'm fucking hopping mad.

Here's exibit A
(I've just tossed pics everywhere trying to find these two originals)

www.hunt101.com/img/387175.JPG

Nuff said.

Taffy

Relax, someone took the image from here and posted or sent the link out and then...there ya go.
That web site where the picture is hosted is a forum, just like this.

I always get permission from the photographer to internet host and post the pictures I put here.
And 99% of those photos are the "public" ones, they usally have better ones....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I know...I know...once I posted it I no longer own it...I realise that.

But how has some guy got a copy of this on his office wall...I can't see how that's possible and there was even theories that my pic was photoshopped.

Sorry for hijacking a great thread btw

"chocks away chaps"

Taffy

ETA I've loads of Phantom pics taken from an engineers perspective. I'll dig some more out over the next day or two.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Phatom II was the king of whoop-ass in it's day.   Dropped, shot, fired just about everything in the airborne arsenal at one point or another.  

Dad flew 'em in 'Nam... told me a few stories... a very impressive plane, even to this day.  

Except bullets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...A friend of mine was a Marine aviator, and he flew F-4s. They used to fly low over the desert and kick on the afterburners and stand the aircraft on it's tail as they passed old wooden shacks, blowing them to pieces.

What was his callsign? Odds are I know him.

Once we flew across a frozen lake so low that we were raising rooster-tails of snow. I looked over at my wingman, and he was knocking over ice-fishing shanties. They were skittering away across the ice pretty impressively, I wonder how many were occupied.

i1.tinypic.com/rr6r9y.jpg

Funny stuff. Check your inbox.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except bullets.

E models fired plenty of bullets from the internal 20mm cannon.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm partial to G models too, the first airplane I ever worked.  Much like Taffy, I have worked many aircraft since (though not as many as him) but the Weasels will always be my first, and you never forget your first.  

Thats 69-0263, I can tell because it was our only bird with the matte finish paint.  

ETA:  A sad end for some noble aircraft :

I can't wait to start seeing QF-16s.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is that a Phantom?

Indeed it is.

The most badass fighter we've ever fielded.

Educate me.  Why?

I've always wondered at the lust for the Phantom.

No shit talking here.  Please tell me what makes this beast so great.  Particularly when compared to 15's, 16's, and 18's (which admittedly were all a later generation aircraft).

Serious question.  Spec's would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Corey (who has been on an aircraft bent lately)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except bullets.

Actually....

He did fly the versions before the cannon.  Told me about how they tested the 20mm gun pods.  They mounted three on a Phantom.  One on each wing and one center fuselage.  

Let loose with all three at once...

... damn near stalled the aircraft!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Watch out! ... I have seen an F4 nearly crashed ...

I saw one all-the-way-crashed, from the inside  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm partial to G models too, the first airplane I ever worked.  Much like Taffy, I have worked many aircraft since (though not as many as him) but the Weasels will always be my first, and you never forget your first.  

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/f-4g-DF-ST-91-05061.jpg

Thats 69-0263, I can tell because it was our only bird with the matte finish paint.  

ETA:  A sad end for some noble aircraft :

www.topflightimaging.com/69-0286/386-70sm.jpg

I can't wait to start seeing QF-16s.  

BAE in Mojave, CA says their running out of F4s to convert to drones. They said they are about to start the Q-Weasel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

YOU ARE THE CHRONIC BOMBSACK!

AWESOME!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Educate me.  Why?

No shit talking here.  Please tell me what makes this beast so great.  Particularly when compared to 15's, 16's, and 18's (which admittedly were all a later generation aircraft).

www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f4/

It's been 40 years since the "Phabulous Phantom" first took to the air on May 27, 1958. The F-4 Phantom II aircraft, which still flies in defense of 8 nations, was retired in 1996 from U.S. military forces, ending a record-studded 38-year career.

The Phantom was first used by the U.S. Navy as an interceptor but also was capable of flying as a ground-support bomber for the U.S. Marine Corps. The aircraft flew every traditional military mission: air superiority, close air support, interception, air defense suppression, long-range strike, fleet defense, attack and reconnaissance.

It could fly short training missions or 4.5-hour sorties as a Wild Weasel in search of anti-aircraft defense systems. It starred in both the Vietnam War and Operation Desert Storm with a record of 280 air-to-air victories and the destruction of more than 200 anti-aircraft sites.

The Phantom was the first multiservice aircraft, flying concurrently with the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. It is the first and only aircraft ever to be flown concurrently by both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds. It has been flown by the defense forces of 11 other nations: Australia, Egypt, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iran, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Spain and Turkey.

F-4 Phantom II in flight From 1958 until its U.S. service retirement in 1996, it flew more than 17 million miles - the equivalent of one aircraft flying continuously for more than 2,000 years.

It's only been 95 years since the Wright Brothers first took humans into the skies, and the F-4 Phantom II has been flying more than 40 percent of those years.

From 1958 to 1979, when the production line stopped, a total of 5,195 F-4 Phantom II aircraft were built. Of those, 5,057 rolled off the McDonnell Aircraft (later McDonnell Douglas) production line in St. Louis, Mo. The last 138 were built under license by Mitsubishi Aircraft Co. in Japan. The 21-year production run was the longest on record until surpassed by the F-15 Eagle, which has now been in production 26 years (1972-98 and counting).

Of the 5,057 built in the United States, the U.S. Air Force took delivery of 2,874 aircraft; the Navy and Marine Corps, 1,264; and international customers, a combined total of 919. The Phantom still holds the record for the largest production run of any supersonic fighter built in the United States.

F-4 production line (Neg#: D4C-36084) In the 1960s, most of the thousands of McDonnell employees were involved in delivering the Phantom. Between 1966-67, production averaged 63 F-4 aircraft each month. Production peaked at 72 Phantom aircraft a month in 1967. By 1978, production was 4 to 6 aircraft a month. In all, production of the F-4 contributed to more than 1 million man-years of employment at McDonnell.

The two-place, twin-engine supersonic F-4 Phantom II, flew at Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound), and could carry a payload of up to 16,000 pounds of bombs, rockets, missiles and guns. Each aircraft has 54,197 feet of wiring and 643,000 fasteners holding it together. (Three View Image)

The pilots and crews who worked with the aircraft called it many nicknames, but most of all they praised it as a workhorse, an aircraft you could count on, an aircraft that did it all, and an aircraft that got the job done and got you home again.
----------------
The F-4 Phantom, which received the 1965 Glenn H. Curtiss Memorial Award as outstanding aircraft of the year, has been setting and holding records since its first flight 40 years ago.

In 1998, based upon its class and weight for medium-sized aircraft, it still holds:

* The world mark for speed over a 15-25 km. course -- 1,058.8 mph
   * 3 U.S. records for speed over closed-circuit courses without payload (100, 500 and 1,000 km.) -- avg. speed 730 mph; top speed 785.7 mph

Over its lifetime, the F-4 Phantom:

* Set 15 world aviation records within its first 28 months, including altitude (98,500 ft.), 8 time-to-climb marks, and speed (Mach 2.59)
   * 5 speed records were held for 13 years until broken by the F-15 Eagle in 1975
   * First aircraft to achieve a sustained altitude of 66,443.8 ft.
   * First aircraft to fly from Los Angeles to New York in 2 hours and 49 minutes
   * Largest production run of any supersonic fighter built in the United States (more than 5,000 aircraft in 20 model configurations, including nation-specific configurations)
   * First production aircraft to make extensive use of titanium
   * First fighter with pulse Doppler radar with look-down and shoot-down capability
   * First fighter to concurrently serve multiple purposes for multiple military services (U.S. Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps; and 11 foreign military services)
   * Only fighter ever to fly concurrently with both U.S. aerobatics flight demonstration teams -- the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds
----------------
It was March 10, 1967, in enemy skies over Hanoi. The last of 44 F-4 aircraft were just coming off a bombing raid into North Vietnam when Capt. Bob Pardo and his wingman Capt. Earl Aman were both hit by enemy fire. Aman's aircraft was the worse off. Hit by two damaging blows to the fuel tank, he suddenly was down to 2,000 pounds of fuel instead of the 7,000 pounds he needed to safely return to the refueling tanker.

Pardo knew he had to do something quickly if Aman was going to make it out. First, he tried to use Aman's drag chute to help the wounded Phantom. With the drag chute extended, Pardo tried to maneuver behind Aman's aircraft so he could use the drag chute compartment to push the aircraft toward the tanker. No good. Turbulence was too great.

Pardo decided to try to use the tailhook on Aman's aircraft. He moved in under Aman's aircraft and got the tailhook against the windscreen of his F-4 Phantom. Success. By this time, Aman's aircraft was so low on fuel that Pardo told him to shut down the engines. Pardo's push was working, but the two aircraft had to stay directly in line with one another. Pardo would push for 15 to 20 seconds, lose the necessary balance and slide off to the side. Then he'd have to reposition and push again. By now the pressure of Aman's F-4 aircraft was cracking the windscreen of Pardo's fighter. As the spider web of cracks grew, Pardo became increasingly concerned. He moved the hook down the windscreen into a small metal area below. The hook stayed put, and the push continued. To keep his own damaged Phantom flying, Pardo shut down one engine for the last 10 minutes of the flight.

After pushing Aman's aircraft almost 88 miles, the two damaged Phantoms reached friendly air space. At 6,000 feet, with practically no fuel left, the two pilots and their weapons systems officers parachuted to safety.

"That was one hell of an airplane," retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Bob Pardo recalled later. "For one aircraft to get two airplanes that far out of Vietnam speaks very well of the people who put it together."

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AWESOME!!!!

I know, I know. Pay homage to this man, all ye people.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was stationed at Osan AB, ROK, I had the displeasure of witnessing an F-4 take off then crash a few minutes later.  Biggest pieces left were the two engines.  Both the pilot and co-pilot were KIA, didn't punch out.  Worst part was having to guard the crash site having orders to shoot ANY critters that came to attempt to eat the body parts on the ground!  Took them about 1 day to map and photo graph the crash scene before they collected the body parts.  That scene will stick in my mind forever.  
   On a happier note, when they were taking off and hit full after burners, the fillings would rattle out of your teeth!!! Man did those birds make some noise.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AWESOME!!!!

Stand at ease, my faithful underlings. It is I who must thank you for all those tax dollars that went out those afterburners, not to mention that seven-million-dollar smoking hole.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Educate me.  Why?

www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f4/

It's been 40 years since the "Phabulous Phantom" first took to the air on May 27, 1958. The F-4 Phantom II aircraft, which still flies in defense of 8 nations, was retired in 1996 from U.S. military forces, ending a record-studded 38-year career.

The Phantom was first used by the U.S. Navy as an interceptor but also was capable of flying as a ground-support bomber for the U.S. Marine Corps. The aircraft flew every traditional military mission: air superiority, close air support, interception, air defense suppression, long-range strike, fleet defense, attack and reconnaissance.

It could fly short training missions or 4.5-hour sorties as a Wild Weasel in search of anti-aircraft defense systems. It starred in both the Vietnam War and Operation Desert Storm with a record of 280 air-to-air victories and the destruction of more than 200 anti-aircraft sites.

The Phantom was the first multiservice aircraft, flying concurrently with the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. It is the first and only aircraft ever to be flown concurrently by both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds. It has been flown by the defense forces of 11 other nations: Australia, Egypt, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iran, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Spain and Turkey.

F-4 Phantom II in flight From 1958 until its U.S. service retirement in 1996, it flew more than 17 million miles - the equivalent of one aircraft flying continuously for more than 2,000 years.

It's only been 95 years since the Wright Brothers first took humans into the skies, and the F-4 Phantom II has been flying more than 40 percent of those years.

From 1958 to 1979, when the production line stopped, a total of 5,195 F-4 Phantom II aircraft were built. Of those, 5,057 rolled off the McDonnell Aircraft (later McDonnell Douglas) production line in St. Louis, Mo. The last 138 were built under license by Mitsubishi Aircraft Co. in Japan. The 21-year production run was the longest on record until surpassed by the F-15 Eagle, which has now been in production 26 years (1972-98 and counting).

Of the 5,057 built in the United States, the U.S. Air Force took delivery of 2,874 aircraft; the Navy and Marine Corps, 1,264; and international customers, a combined total of 919. The Phantom still holds the record for the largest production run of any supersonic fighter built in the United States.

F-4 production line (Neg#: D4C-36084) In the 1960s, most of the thousands of McDonnell employees were involved in delivering the Phantom. Between 1966-67, production averaged 63 F-4 aircraft each month. Production peaked at 72 Phantom aircraft a month in 1967. By 1978, production was 4 to 6 aircraft a month. In all, production of the F-4 contributed to more than 1 million man-years of employment at McDonnell.

The two-place, twin-engine supersonic F-4 Phantom II, flew at Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound), and could carry a payload of up to 16,000 pounds of bombs, rockets, missiles and guns. Each aircraft has 54,197 feet of wiring and 643,000 fasteners holding it together. (Three View Image)

The pilots and crews who worked with the aircraft called it many nicknames, but most of all they praised it as a workhorse, an aircraft you could count on, an aircraft that did it all, and an aircraft that got the job done and got you home again.
----------------
The F-4 Phantom, which received the 1965 Glenn H. Curtiss Memorial Award as outstanding aircraft of the year, has been setting and holding records since its first flight 40 years ago.

In 1998, based upon its class and weight for medium-sized aircraft, it still holds:

* The world mark for speed over a 15-25 km. course -- 1,058.8 mph
   * 3 U.S. records for speed over closed-circuit courses without payload (100, 500 and 1,000 km.) -- avg. speed 730 mph; top speed 785.7 mph

Over its lifetime, the F-4 Phantom:

* Set 15 world aviation records within its first 28 months, including altitude (98,500 ft.), 8 time-to-climb marks, and speed (Mach 2.59)
   * 5 speed records were held for 13 years until broken by the F-15 Eagle in 1975
   * First aircraft to achieve a sustained altitude of 66,443.8 ft.
   * First aircraft to fly from Los Angeles to New York in 2 hours and 49 minutes
   * Largest production run of any supersonic fighter built in the United States (more than 5,000 aircraft in 20 model configurations, including nation-specific configurations)
   * First production aircraft to make extensive use of titanium
   * First fighter with pulse Doppler radar with look-down and shoot-down capability
   * First fighter to concurrently serve multiple purposes for multiple military services (U.S. Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps; and 11 foreign military services)
   * Only fighter ever to fly concurrently with both U.S. aerobatics flight demonstration teams -- the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds
----------------
It was March 10, 1967, in enemy skies over Hanoi. The last of 44 F-4 aircraft were just coming off a bombing raid into North Vietnam when Capt. Bob Pardo and his wingman Capt. Earl Aman were both hit by enemy fire. Aman's aircraft was the worse off. Hit by two damaging blows to the fuel tank, he suddenly was down to 2,000 pounds of fuel instead of the 7,000 pounds he needed to safely return to the refueling tanker.

Pardo knew he had to do something quickly if Aman was going to make it out. First, he tried to use Aman's drag chute to help the wounded Phantom. With the drag chute extended, Pardo tried to maneuver behind Aman's aircraft so he could use the drag chute compartment to push the aircraft toward the tanker. No good. Turbulence was too great.

Pardo decided to try to use the tailhook on Aman's aircraft. He moved in under Aman's aircraft and got the tailhook against the windscreen of his F-4 Phantom. Success. By this time, Aman's aircraft was so low on fuel that Pardo told him to shut down the engines. Pardo's push was working, but the two aircraft had to stay directly in line with one another. Pardo would push for 15 to 20 seconds, lose the necessary balance and slide off to the side. Then he'd have to reposition and push again. By now the pressure of Aman's F-4 aircraft was cracking the windscreen of Pardo's fighter. As the spider web of cracks grew, Pardo became increasingly concerned. He moved the hook down the windscreen into a small metal area below. The hook stayed put, and the push continued. To keep his own damaged Phantom flying, Pardo shut down one engine for the last 10 minutes of the flight.

After pushing Aman's aircraft almost 88 miles, the two damaged Phantoms reached friendly air space. At 6,000 feet, with practically no fuel left, the two pilots and their weapons systems officers parachuted to safety.

"That was one hell of an airplane," retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Bob Pardo recalled later. "For one aircraft to get two airplanes that far out of Vietnam speaks very well of the people who put it together."

I guess that last story pretty much says it all!

Corey
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AWESOME!!!!

Stand at ease, my faithful underlings. It is I who must thank you for all those tax dollars that went out those afterburners, not to mention that seven-million-dollar smoking hole.  

Can you give us the details as to how the $7 mil smoking hole happened?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn good thread!!!!  What a classic plane!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:26:51 AM EDT
[#32]
So, one F4 pushes the other over 80 miles?  I didn't even know this was possible.  
Pilots:  is that something you would have thought of?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
So, one F4 pushes the other over 80 miles?  I didn't even know this was possible.  
Pilots:  is that something you would have thought of?

Incredible story, eh? Try doing that with anything today....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You're a good man, Rodent. Sounds like you flew it like you stole it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#37]
This thread brings a wry smile to my face.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#38]
TAFFY- why dont you go to that other thread and take credit for the pic? I went through about 15 or 20 pages of it, and didn't see anyone taking credit for it, but there were a few who were either at that location or saw similar acts with other aircraft. It is definitely a cool pic!

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I was born on MacDill AFB.  Lived around Tampa for the first 14 years of my life.  When we used to pull onto the base to go to the commissary, there would be row after row of Phantoms on the tarmac.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Then along came the 16s.  I like the 4 better!

Woody
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Can you give us the details as to how the $7 mil smoking hole happened?

I posted the whole story some time ago, but I can't find it now. Had what the engineers call a "catastrophic failure" when max afterburner was selected. It was given back to the taxpayers/turned into beer cans at Barber's Point in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I will personally never forget the distinctive sound made by these beautiful aircraft, when they were rolling in on a close air support mission to get "Charlie" off my ass....several times in my deployment to SE Asia...you guys that flew those honeys....I owe you some beers....

Always been my favorite U.S. fighter aircraft.  Thanks for the pics...and the memories.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top