Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Better buy your American-made production guns now while you can.  In a few years, there won't be any made here.

As long as we have Bush '89 many guns will be made here...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Win Model 70 in a .270 cal with a composite stock 2 years ago and have found it to be an excellent shooter. I've never had a problem with it and have filled my tag every time I've used it. I'll take the plant closing as a sign of the economic times and believe that NO ONE will let the Winchester brand die out.  It  may take a few years (remember Harley-Davidson) but this too shall pass.  Go buy a Winchester if you want but the idea of a panic buy is exactly that, grounded in hysteria not actual action.  Now if it gets to be March 30 and nothing happens then maybe ..... stay tuned.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
tag

HH
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well they only had one left at the local wallymart,the one in the display case.I will pay 100 this and next payday to pay off the balance,and if they get anymore in will lay at least one more away.Panice buying sucks
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a shame! Winchester has been in New Haven since the 1850s. My 1st gun was a Winchester Super X. Should have seen this coming. They dropped the 9422 last year now this.
That leaves Colt, Mossberg, Marlin and Ruger.
A lot of gun companies have left Connecticut. Remington moved their ammo plant from Bridgeport. High Standard shut down and reopened in Texas, CVA moved to Georgia. Besides the big guys there is  JLD, Stag, Seecamp and Wildey. Sucks!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll be willing to bet they sell the design and the rights to the name and we will be seeing Winchesters once again, but under new ownership.

and hopefully in a red state...

I bet they move to Arizona or another gun friendly state...

Try Japan, mark my words.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nostaglia makes me a little sad, but the fact is they couldn't compete.
Marlins are a better lever gun (and i own a 94).
Their model 70 doesn't compare to a Tikka or a savage.
The 1300 is an OK gun, but doesn't beat out the mossbergs or the remingtons.
The volcanic is no more.

What is 'wrong' with it?  I have one and love it.  Just curious what makes them less desirable.  I hunt with a Win Model 120 shotgun in Canada.  Absolutely love that gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of months ago, my FFL got in a '94 in .357.

The quality of workmanship was mediocre, wood to metal fit was poor, and the action was rough.
We were both surprised, and the first thought I had was this was a clone.

A few weeks later, the same FFL received a Marlin, and the fit and function was superb.

I've handled older '94's and they were better machined. Seems their lack of quality caught up with them.

I would like to see the company revived, quality improved, without being shackled to union problems.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll be willing to bet they sell the design and the rights to the name and we will be seeing Winchesters once again, but under new ownership.

and hopefully in a red state...

I bet they move to Arizona or another gun friendly state...

Would love to see a remake of the 1873, 1886 and 1895...made in the U.S. this time!

If anywhere its going to be here in Missouri.

Olin is here along with the FN/Browning/Winchester Distubution/warrnty/assymbly center
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow, you would think the 94's would be in big demand from the Cowboy shooters. Guess Uberti is hurting them.

a safety on a lever gun did them in for me
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I wanted to get a Model 70, Featherweight™, Stainless and a Stealth II this year if I could round up the cash too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's a shame! Winchester has been in New Haven since the 1850s. My 1st gun was a Winchester Super X. Should have seen this coming. They dropped the 9422 last year now this.

They are one of the causes of this problem.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow, you would think the 94's would be in big demand from the Cowboy shooters. Guess Uberti is hurting them.

That and the 94 in a pistol caliber is a klunky action when you need speed and smooth.  It does OK when you use a rifle length cartridge, but the changes made to allow it to feed short cartridges reliably knock it out compared to others.

Now if they brought out the 92 again, that was and is a great gun with the short cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I have to admit my last M94 I bought wasn't that great out of the box, but it was well made.  I have to strongly disagree with anyone who bashes the 70 though.  When you figure in the controlled round feed and the 3 position safety along with excellent ergonomics and a trigger that can be capable of greatness (with a good gunsmith in your corner), and the only thing that even comes close in my book is the Ruger M77.

The 700 is a fine gun, but for dangerous game I would demand a model 70 with the claw feed.  Even their push feeds are easily the equal of anyone else's bolt guns.

I consider any push feed bolt gun as only partially designed...

I think what did them in was their fixation on the WSM's and WSSM's, and no new models that didn't come in a funky looking synthetic stock.  I think they also priced themselves out of the lever gun game too, with all the specialized "cowboy" guns, while dropping the 94 big bore and most of their caliber offerings in their standard 94's.

Well I guess I better move up my plans to get a M70 safari express in .375 H&H now.  Shoot!  I might have to sell an AR or two!  AT least those will be available in the future...  

I am not in love with the tang safety, but it beats the hell out of that shitty cross-bolt marlin-type safety they had a few years ago.  I never hated any feature on any gun quite as bad as I hated that thing.  For sheer fit and handling qualities I think Winchesters are miles above any Marlin.  Marlins feels heavy and clumsy to me with crappy ergonomics.

Kinda strange that I just go their new catalog for 06 and they have a ton of new models in it.  Seems they wouldn't waste their time if they're closing the doors.  Almost looks to me like they're trying to sweeten the pot for a potential sale.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I was planning on laying a 94 away at Wally World today, there were NO guns in the display case.  Nobody in sporting goods to ask either.  Guess they might be doing inventory or something.

I despise the 94, but I'll buy one just for the hell of it.  I prefer the Marlin when it comes to lever guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Sad news for sure   Even my wife told me I'd better go pick up a Model 70 before they're gone!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Sad. Winchester is one of the iconic American brands, and firearms manufacturing was one of the great early American industries. Someone could probably make money if they got the Winchester name and started making really good Model 70's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope an American maker buys them and keeps the grand old name alive.  I really don't care if they're made in Connecticut or not though.  With that state's anti-gun policies it seems almost a sacrelige for any gun maker to contribute to their tax base in such a way if you ask me.

If an american company doesn't buy them hopefully someone like Uberti will.  Someone who will embrace the brand and sell guns that American shooters want, like good model 70's and lever guns that work well and look good.

The WSSM's and stuff are fine, but what about the guy who wants a "brown" rifle?  The only new wood stock guns Winchester has offered are high-dollar commemorative or super grade type guns.  They need to get back to basics with stuff like the black shadow line of standard calibers and good wooden stocked guns such as the discontinued Ranger models, as well as the Classic sporters, etc...

Everytime I go into a gun store with a hankering to fondle a model 70 all I seem to see are those ugly little super short action synthetic things...  If I'm at all a typical gun enthusiast I might have found the reason for their slumping sales...

Perhaps they could even bring the M92 back to regular production and stop trying to force the model 94, a gun designed for rifle cartridges, to do double duty.

And how about the M95 or the 1886?  Browning has shown that rifle caliber lever guns can sell...  Bring these guns back and bring them into the 21st century.  Angle ejection and drilling and tapping for scopes would be a good start, and scout scopes would be FINE, so receiver space would not be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
It's all over the news here in CT.

I love all the political posturing going on.  

New Haven was one of those wonderful cities that tried to sue all the gun manufacturers for "causing violence."  They also went after WalMart and forced them to stop selling Firearms at their store in NewHaven.  

Now all of a sudden the Mayor is up in arms that they're closing shop.

What a bunch of fucktards.

www.nbc30.com/news/6185429/detail.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Winchester quit making guns in 64
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]
www.usracmfg.com/

look at what it says to the left of the last pic on the page.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.usracmfg.com/

Yeah, and that CNC doesn't look very NEW...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a model 94 AE in .356. Too bad about Winchester, I really love their older lever actions. I hope someone buys the company and brings it back to it's old self....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have a model 94 AE in .356. Too bad about Winchester, I really love their older lever actions. I hope someone buys the company and brings it back to it's old self....

I cannot see it being dead for too long...their is way too much interest in Winchester rifles.

Winchester needs to return to it's heritage... fine lever action rifles!

If only I could buy what they produced at the turn of the century brand new in the box.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn, I hope there are still some Model 94s left when I get back to the states in April.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Just went to Walmart and bought one.  A 94E, the only one they had.  I have always wanted a 94 and was going to get one but, something else always caught my eye first.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.usracmfg.com/

Yeah, and that CNC doesn't look very NEW...

That looks like a HAAS panel.  It's not too old.  We've got one in the back that's about 10-12 years old, looks pretty much just like that.  10 years is nothing for CNC machines.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#31]
the deer rifles i'm personally not going to miss all that much (though i've decided to keep one of those 300wsms for myself)

but damnit, there isn't really anything out there to fill the 94 trapper void
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
the deer rifles i'm personally not going to miss all that much (though i've decided to keep one of those 300wsms for myself)

but damnit, there isn't really anything out there to fill the 94 trapper void

This comes real close and has a better action and trigger: www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.aspx It's reasonably handy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better buy your American-made production guns now while you can.  In a few years, there won't be any made here.

IIRC, 89 has little, if anything, to do with bolt action rifles excepter perhaps China.

Tikka, Sig, CZ, Merkel as well as a bunch of Spanish, Italian, Russian and Turkish makers I can't think of off the top of my head all import sporting arms to the US.  

I would not be surprised to see Remington move more production overseas in the next few years.  They have been the most agressive US firearms manufact. to import guns as a economy  line with mixed results.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I think Marlin is probably a big factor in this too, as they put out a great gun and I don't think they ever had a "pre/post 64" quality mokey riding their back every time someone metions them. They even have a new line for the Hornady "Leverevoltion" ammo that just came out. However, I don't think the pre 64 94 will ever be duplicated, except maybe by Winny, and they will really have to commit to the project. I gotta grab a 9422 if there is still one out there-
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I would imagine FN will move production  to Japan where the Brownings are made.  Something about "Made in Japan" an a barrel or action bugs me to no  end.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are one of the causes of this problem.

And how is that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, 89 has little, if anything, to do with bolt action rifles excepter perhaps China.

Tikka, Sig, CZ, Merkel as well as a bunch of Spanish, Italian, Russian and Turkish makers I can't think of off the top of my head all import sporting arms to the US.  

I would not be surprised to see Remington move more production overseas in the next few years.  They have been the most agressive US firearms manufact. to import guns as a economy  line with mixed results.

Don't introduce facts into the Bush bashfest.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Remmington has lost money for the last nine straight quarters. They have been up for sale for the last five years. I wouldn't hold hope thay they will do ANYTHING innovative. (Oh yeah... I forgot about the pump action patrol carbine)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I would not be surprised to see Remington move more production overseas in the next few years.  They have been the most agressive US firearms manufact. to import guns as a economy  line with mixed results....

I believe He meant military style stuff that has to be made in the US
if the 89 ban was lifted those guns would not HAVE to be nade in the US
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would not be surprised to see Remington move more production overseas in the next few years.  They have been the most agressive US firearms manufact. to import guns as a economy  line with mixed results....

I believe He meant military style stuff that has to be made in the US
if the 89 ban was lifted those guns would not HAVE to be nade in the US

That is not what the original poster said.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#41]
My only Winchester was M70 in .30-06 that I paid for as 16 year old. The only regret is that I didn't get the .243 earlier that month and had saved myself a lifetime fighting a flinch that I developed from it. Don't know how many rounds I put through it but it has about 1½" of throat erosion from being fired so much. Rare to find a .30 bolt rifle today that has that much use.

Hope they stay around. At least for the '94s.

wganz

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I just called Wally World for a price on a Safari Express in .375 H&H - only $719.95, which is $200 cheaper than anywhere I can find online. But they did say it would take at least 3 weeks to order.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Sad to see. I used to work for USRA (Winchester) when they went over to the new building in the 90's. I used to love picking thru the dead rack. That was where the 2nd went that were sold to employees. I bought a super grade70 in 270 & a 7mm mag Both fine rifles. There were ond timers there who would buy a rifle per month & they worked 25+ years. Quite a retirement plan.

My dad worked for Olin. Our family has many, MANY dead rack bargains in our safes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top