Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
BULL FUCKING SHIT
TRIAL LAWYERS pulled this shit in the 1980's with "Sudden Accelleration" mostly blamed on AUDI.  People claimed they where pressing the brake pedal with ALL THEIR MIGHT and yet the car was accellerating incredibly hard. The NHTSA final study discovered that "pedal misapplication" was the primary cause.  

60 Minutes did stories, and dramafied it.  Of course the Honda Civic had the closest pedals (gas to brake) on the market at the time and Cadillacs has the furthest apart, and AUDI was in the middle with spacing, yet Cadillacs had the most Sudden Accelleration Incident reports.

Looks like those scum sucking motherfucking maggot lawyers are rehashing old ideas to ruin more people lives.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interviews of the victims that surived all stated they stood on the brakes to no avail.  

They had the wrong pedal, 100% guarantee.

And what about me?   explain that.

Have fun reading this PDF:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2009/Pedal-Misapplication/Pedal-Misapplication-Dennis_Collins-Introduction.pdf

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interviews of the victims that surived all stated they stood on the brakes to no avail.  

To quote Bill:

"In most cases you'd be 100% right.  But in this case you'd be 100% wrong"  

There is always a relatively low number of such cases as you describe, with all vehicles.  But these are all Toyota's and they all started in 2003, suspiciously when Toyota first introduced fly-by-wire.  The number of incidents since then is WAY above the level of all other vehicles.  Can't be explained by the "wrong pedal syndrome."

This is the EXACT same bullshit that was said about the Audis.  It is a witchhunt, supported by people that have no knowledge and believe everything that the NEWS pumps out, like the journalists are suddenly experts in cars.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many street car engines can overcome the brakes when applied?

Toyota isn't an answer.

Stupid people is.

Yep, just like Audis when 60 minutes did the hit piece on them back circa 1979,  Damn near ended Audi in the US

Exactly what I was thinking.
Some idiot pushes the accelerator instead of the brake, he is going to blame the truck, not the operator headspace and timing.
Nobody admits they were stupid when there is a juicy lawsuit waiting.

Again, the trial lawyers are behind this, I guaranfuckingtee it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A throttle cable weighs what? a lb or two???

How much weight is actually saved by having a throttle servo??/

It's simply overcomplicating things.

Throttle by wire is not about weight savings. It allows better control by the PCM for emissions and fuel savings reasons, more accurate cruise control, etc. It is not difficult to shift into neutral or turn the engine off, so I don't have a problem with it, unless it has lag or other glitches.

I think these problems are caused by the floor mat trapping the accelerator AND wedging under the brake pedal.

Throttle by wire and Shift by wire are also cleaner installations.  First, there's less labor.  Second, most of the OEMs have a big push to eliminate as many holes in the Firewall and Floorpan as possible for NVH.  The vision is to have one master connection coming through the Firewall and have the entire Interior Harness connect to it.

It's one of the reasons Manual Transmissions are dying out - they're seen as 'messy' installations, with the routing of the Shift and Clutch Linkages.

There aren't any clutch linkages. It's all hydraulic (brake fluid) today.

Most of the shift linkages are through the trans tunnels as well.

The reason manual gearboxes comprise a fraction of US sales is because everyone is a lazy fat ass that drives a vehicle and wants to do the following at the same time:

smoke

drink coffee

read newspaper

talk on cellphone

(ladies): put on makeup

citing convenience needs so automatics prevail

The sporty cars are now going towards dual-clutch gearboxes or shiftable automatics which give you the best of both worlds, except it isn't quite the same.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:The reason manual gearboxes comprise a fraction of US sales is because everyone is a lazy fat ass that drives a vehicle and wants to do the following at the same time:
smoke
drink coffee
read newspaper
talk on cellphone
(ladies): put on makeup
citing convenience needs so automatics prevail

Nope, they are less effective and are a pain in the ass for basic transportation.  They have their place, but it's a niche.  Their ease allows the things you mention, but need to do these things is not why people buy them.  I've driven many manuals, even a single axle dump truck one summer in the '80s, and for my automotive dollar, make mine an auto...

Are you also lazy because you want to use an RF remote for your TV rather than getting up, walking to the TV/Cable Box and changing the channel?  You'd hate to put the popcorn down, wouldn't you...    
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota isn't an answer.

Stupid people is.

Many of these incidents start at highway speeds.  By the time the driver realizes what's happening the engine is well into its power band.  Interviews of the victims that surived all stated they stood on the brakes to no avail.   One guy I heard about in a separate report in a Lexus with a push-button on/off switch claimed he pushed the button but the engine computer ignored the request.   I don't recall hearing if anyone had enough sense to shift into neutral.

Nope. Not going to happen. There is a reason they CANNOT duplicate it no matter what they do.

Every tine I read of some 90 year old person that shouldn't be driving who runs thru a building wall and keeps claiming that she/he was holding the brake petal to the floor and it wouldn't stop, I laugh because the real truth is that people refuse to admit that they were the loose nut in the cog.

I can understand a floor mat causing some issues, I can see a soda bottle rolling under the brake pedal and not allowing it to work correctly. I do NOT accept that the typical street vehicle has enough power to come close to overriding the modern brake systems we have nowadays.

Our Lexus GS430 with 300 hp and 325 ft lbs torque will absolutely overcome the brakes if full power is applied at any speed above 0.  Maybee not if power is applied at a dead stop with brakes on full.  It would just roast the back tires off in that case.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
i like my 98 4x4 tacoma with after market mickey mouse rubber floormats and throttle cable connected directly to my foot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I worked on driver controls for a while and I was never comfortable with using Hall Effect Sensors in safety related components.  They just aren't as predictable as mechanical actuators.

They might work in an aerospace application where the $$$ are available for proper shielding and RF/EM interference supression, but in automotive, not so much.

Plus, I had a Nissan with a fly-by-wire throttle and there were times, usually when modulating the throttle back and forth in highway merging, when it would have spooky surges.  Almost like the system was pausing to process rapid changes in inputs.

There is generally a 15 millisecond delay built into the programming of most cars with electronic throttle bodies.  If you have th right equiptment, you can set the throttle delay to zero.  It became a lot less aggravating to drive my car that has an electronic throttle once I did this.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Did this start once they moved Toyota over to the US?

I had a frayed throttle cable that locked my 4 barrel wide open on my 71 Monte Carlo. It was at a T in a road in town and I was facing a house. Luckily I had the brains to shut the key off.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toyota isn't an answer.

Stupid people is.

Many of these incidents start at highway speeds.  By the time the driver realizes what's happening the engine is well into its power band.  Interviews of the victims that surived all stated they stood on the brakes to no avail.   One guy I heard about in a separate report in a Lexus with a push-button on/off switch claimed he pushed the button but the engine computer ignored the request.   I don't recall hearing if anyone had enough sense to shift into neutral.

Nope. Not going to happen. There is a reason they CANNOT duplicate it no matter what they do.

Every tine I read of some 90 year old person that shouldn't be driving who runs thru a building wall and keeps claiming that she/he was holding the brake petal to the floor and it wouldn't stop, I laugh because the real truth is that people refuse to admit that they were the loose nut in the cog.

I can understand a floor mat causing some issues, I can see a soda bottle rolling under the brake pedal and not allowing it to work correctly. I do NOT accept that the typical street vehicle has enough power to come close to overriding the modern brake systems we have nowadays.

Agreed there are lots of old folks who hit the wrong pedal.  But these weren't 90 year olds.  And there are MANY such Toyota incidents now...  literally thousands, way above the noise level that every manufacturer experiences.  And it all started in 2003 and continues to rise.

Cheap brakes = massive brake fade

Unless you're driving a performance car with decent pad compound good luck.  

No, that doesn't matter.  The fact of the matter is that the brakes only have to generate enough clamping force to overpower the clutch packs in an automatic transmission, or the clutch disc in a manual.  This is NOT a hard thing to do.  For a VERY simple comparison, just compare max brake line hydraulic pressure during a panic stop, to the max transmission line pressure....... which one is higher?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Appearently you didn't read my original post or you are just "too smart" to do so.  Did you see the part where I put it neutral?  The part where I coasted into a parking lot?  The part where I sat there in the parking lot in neutral with no foot anywhere near any pedal and the engine continued to rev at full throttle?

Oh no, you just posted  some weblink instead.

So once again.....explain what happened to me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Appearently you didn't read my original post or you are just "too smart" to do so.  Did you see the part where I put it nuetral?  The part where I coasted into a parking lot?  The part where I sat there in the parking lot in nuetral with no foot anywhere near any pedal and the engine continued to rev at full throttle?

I must have missed your first post.  But still the vast majority, 90 something percent of "sudden acceleration" is gas pedal rather then brake.  When I had just gotten my license it happened to me, although I did not have an accident.

I KNEW I had my foot on the brake and when I applied the brake the car sped up.  So I slammed my foot harder on the brake and the car launched forward, because I KNEW I was pressing the brake..... Until I lifted my foot off and put it on the brake and slowed up.

This took place in the space of about 3 seconds.  and if I had been pulling into a parking spot, or someone was in a crosswalk in front of me, there would have been a newsworthy accident.  It does not take long.

Out of the hundreds of millions of vehicles on the road, you will get a failure now and then.  A wire might get shorted, a screw might have penetrated a box during production, shit happens when you put thousands of seperate parts together to make one object.  However blaming an entire line of vehicles is simply a money ploy.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anybody catch the story on Nightline last night about the rash of Toyota's that are accelerating by themselves?  Toyota's been blaming it on improper floor mats, but many who've experienced it (and lived) have proof that floor mats were not involved.  All this started happening around 2003 when Toyota switched to a fly-by-wire electronic accelerator system.  

I've got an older vehicle and never have been comfortable with the concept of electronic control of the gas or steering in consumer vehicles like this.  It's one thing to employ them in military aircraft or commerical airliners etc. that employ multiple redundant systems and checks.  But cheap consumer cars with little or no redundancy is just scary.

The Feds say the investigation is very much still open, regardless of what Toyota claims.

The NHTSA has done six investigations into this and found no defect in any one of them.  It's only 'open' because Toyota issued a recall on the floor mats but has yet to provide owners with the solution yet.  Currently they recommend removing the floor mat.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Appearently you didn't read my original post or you are just "too smart" to do so.  Did you see the part where I put it neutral?  The part where I coasted into a parking lot?  The part where I sat there in the parking lot in neutral with no foot anywhere near any pedal and the engine continued to rev at full throttle?

broken engine mount.
same thing happened to me when i was 16.

of course, I was smart enough to shut the car off and then it worked fine to get it ot the shop.

that key thing shuts it right down.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

broken engine mount.
same thing happened to me when i was 16.

of course, I was smart enough to shut the car off and then it worked fine to get it ot the shop.

that key thing shuts it right down.

And I don't think you read my post either.   The peddle pulled away from my foot (like on a cruise control when you hit "resume") and then after sitting the in the parking lot for about 15 seconds it released.  I have been driving the same car since.  Hasn't done it again but with electronics who knows when these things will happen/or why.

So while you might have "been smart enough" for your situation, you weren't smart enough to read my original post or you would have realized it is two different things.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked on driver controls for a while and I was never comfortable with using Hall Effect Sensors in safety related components.  They just aren't as predictable as mechanical actuators.

They might work in an aerospace application where the $$$ are available for proper shielding and RF/EM interference supression, but in automotive, not so much.

Plus, I had a Nissan with a fly-by-wire throttle and there were times, usually when modulating the throttle back and forth in highway merging, when it would have spooky surges.  Almost like the system was pausing to process rapid changes in inputs.

There is generally a 15 millisecond delay built into the programming of most cars with electronic throttle bodies.  If you have th right equiptment, you can set the throttle delay to zero.  It became a lot less aggravating to drive my car that has an electronic throttle once I did this.

Did you get that right?  Are you claiming that you can feel 15 milliseconds?  FYI, a human blink is anywhere between 50 and 80 milliseconds.  15 milliseconds is 5 beats of a fly's wing in flight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To quote Bill:

"In most cases you'd be 100% right.  But in this case you'd be 100% wrong"  

There is always a relatively low number of such cases as you describe, with all vehicles.  But these are all Toyota's and they all started in 2003, suspiciously when Toyota first introduced fly-by-wire.  The number of incidents since then is WAY above the level of all other vehicles.  Can't be explained by the "wrong pedal syndrome."

This is the EXACT same bullshit that was said about the Audis.  It is a witchhunt, supported by people that have no knowledge and believe everything that the NEWS pumps out, like the journalists are suddenly experts in cars.

Pedal placement, selective perception, selective reporting, and the "pile on" syndrome account for the problem.
There were no problems whatsoever with the Audis.

There will be no problem  found with these Toyotas, either.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get that right?  Are you claiming that you can feel 15 milliseconds?  FYI, a human blink is anywhere between 50 and 80 milliseconds.  15 milliseconds is 5 beats of a fly's wing in flight.

The delay is before the signal is sent to the motor that moves the throttle plate.  This acts as a "buffer", and reduces drive train shock by limiting throttle plate variance.  Basically, if the pedal sensor doesn't see the same reading for more than the set delay time, it doesn't send a signal to the throttle to move.  As a result, the whole process of the vehicle accelerating, or revving up is delayed.  So while you are quickly depressing the pedal, no signal is being sent to the throttle until you stop somewhere, or you slow down the speed that you depress the pedal.  This is what gives some cars with an electronic throttle body that "sling shot" when you mash on the gas.  If this delay wasn't noticeable, there wouldn't be anyone complaining about how they don't like feel of these throttles.

All cars are different, I drive a manual transmission and mine was set to 15; most automatics are set to more.   Do I notice? Yes.   Would you notice? I don't know.

Thinking about it in camera terms, 15 milliseconds is 1/66 second......... it's not that fast.  

Mike
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top