[#1]
Number of suppressors I own: 9

Number of nods I own: 0

I need to change that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never but the 25 dB worth of reduction is going to mean very little to help your hearing.
View Quote

Someone fired an unsuppressed M4 in a vehicle I was in (long story). It was fucking LOUD. Hearing damage loud.

On the other hand, I can fire my suppressed 11.5" rifle and it's subjectively loud, but I can still hear everything around me after 30 rounds.

It makes a huge difference IMO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just received a set of new PVS 14s from TNVC, and let me tell you.... WOW!  Also, I used a Surefire RC 2 suppressor on 5.56 and 7.62... Lame

Many people have asked if they should get a suppressor or NVGs first.  I would absolutely go with the NVG's.. Major giggle factor.
View Quote

Combining a suppressor with NVG is the ultimate in giggle.

Suppressors let me shoot guns without hearing protection, including indoors without losing all my hearing.

A suppressed rifle in the house just goes "Bang!"

An unsuppressed rifle in a house goes "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!" And paint cracks and shit jumps around the house.

Subsonic 300BO sounds really cool indoors.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just received a set of new PVS 14s from TNVC, and let me tell you.... WOW!  Also, I used a Surefire RC 2 suppressor on 5.56 and 7.62... Lame

Many people have asked if they should get a suppressor or NVGs first.  I would absolutely go with the NVG's.. Major giggle factor.
View Quote

What are you smoking? 4/20 was over, two days ago.  Suppressors are awesome and need to be removed from NFA restrictions. A chicken in every pot, two cars in every garage, and a suppressor on every pistol and rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
FPNI.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No name change was necessary, it was available when I signed up.  I was surprised too.

Well, that's like your opinion, man.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg233/battlefield2shame/Arf/IMG_9790_zpsbth3dv96.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both.

Well, since you asked me, I would go with night vision first.

I think you just won the thread.  But really, who were you before you were changed to getboth?  That is fucking amazing.

But I think you are wrong.

No name change was necessary, it was available when I signed up.  I was surprised too.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg233/battlefield2shame/Arf/IMG_9790_zpsbth3dv96.jpg

Your setup was the first night vision I ever looked through.  It was extremely impressive.  I don't think I can convince my parents that night vision would be a very good college graduation gift, though

Edit: And suppressors definitely are worth it, just not surefires.  They're generally too expensive for the noise reduction you get.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Suppressors and NODs go together like peas and carrots.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never but the 25 dB worth of reduction is going to mean very little to help your hearing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:How often have you fired your 5.56 or 7.62 rifle inside of a normal residential hallway or room?  Try it with and without a suppressor, then get back to us.

25 dB is about as much reduction as you can attain with a good set of ear plugs. It's a huge difference that will most certainly help your hearing, even if it's still 125 or 135 dB after the suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your setup was the first night vision I ever looked through.  It was extremely impressive.  I don't think I can convince my parents that night vision would be a very good college graduation gift, though

Edit: And suppressors definitely are worth it, just not surefires.  They're generally too expensive for the noise reduction you get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both.

Well, since you asked me, I would go with night vision first.

I think you just won the thread.  But really, who were you before you were changed to getboth?  That is fucking amazing.

But I think you are wrong.

You just need to tell them that it would be a great tool to use in your new career.  How you spin that is up to you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Cans are just plain polite.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lol.  Night is for sleeping.
View Quote

Night is for killing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Night is for killing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night is for killing.

Moons out, goons out

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Night is for killing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night is for killing.

"We will never sleep 'cause sleep is for the weak. No, we will never rest 'til we' re all fucking dead!"
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Well...you can build one of them yourself (theoretically), the other you have to buy. Buy accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Someone fired an unsuppressed M4 in a vehicle I was in (long story). It was fucking LOUD. Hearing damage loud.

On the other hand, I can fire my suppressed 11.5" rifle and it's subjectively loud, but I can still hear everything around me after 30 rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I've been in a Honda Accord with a 1911 going off for about 6 rounds. No fun
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Totally agree with the premise of this thread.

May the butt-hurt of the wanna-be-cool guys with their cans commence.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I like being able to shoot without hearing pro more than being able to see at night.

That being said, get both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Nice setup and do not even think that we did not see the Yeti cup.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:09:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well...you can build one of them yourself (theoretically), the other you have to buy. Buy accordingly.
View Quote

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:36:01 AM EDT
[#20]
threads like these are the only times i actually identify with the class envy whiners.  my crap gen 2 sucks ass.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
threads like these are the only times i actually identify with the class envy whiners.  my crap gen 2 sucks ass.

View Quote

In the land of the blind, the gen2 eyed man is king.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I have much more use for a suppressor than I do NVG, or even body armor for that matter.

Being able to go out back and shoot suppressed 22 rf at any time I want for the most part without disturbing the neighbors is a major win factor.  Will soon be doing the same with both 300 BO and 9 mm.

NVG and body armor are on my list of things to get, but they are pretty far down there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. Suppressors are there for when you need to actually use the rifle. Self defense or end of the world scenario.

I have my own range in the country, but with neighbors, a can is a huge help. I can shoot much earlier (or later) without disturbing them. I asked and they said they can't even hear the canned 5.56. So I can pretty much shoot whenever I want because of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How often have you fired your 5.56 or 7.62 rifle inside of a normal residential hallway or room?  Try it with and without a suppressor, then get back to us.

This. Suppressors are there for when you need to actually use the rifle. Self defense or end of the world scenario.

I have my own range in the country, but with neighbors, a can is a huge help. I can shoot much earlier (or later) without disturbing them. I asked and they said they can't even hear the canned 5.56. So I can pretty much shoot whenever I want because of it.

how far are your neighbors and what can are you using for 5.56?  I have a gem tech G5, and it's definitely louder than I would like it to be.  Currently thinking of getting a Silencerco Omega later in the year...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really have no use for NODs.  No where to shoot at night.  They would just be a toy for looking around.  A very expensive toy.  I used PVS14's and 7's in the Army... so any budget NODs will just be a huge disappointment to me.
View Quote

People keep saying they can't shoot at night, but I say they're just not looking hard enough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Just bought my first suppressor.  

Wouldnt mind buying NVGs and adding it to my tax right offs.  One thing that worries me about NVGs is that they burn out and most companies only offer a 5 yr or less warranty!  That's big bucks for such a short warranty!

After using both nvgs and thermals in mil and contract world, ID much rather have thermals BC they are so much more clear and easy to make out targets at distance.

Would I use thermals or NVGs often in my area?  Most likely Not!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Annnnnnnd...what about body armor?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Annnnnnnd...what about body armor?
View Quote

You dont need that shit if its dark outside and your rocking night vision and a can against someone that doesnt have it. If your the guy without the can and night vision you might want to buy all the armor you can.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Suppressors are for wanna-be-cool guys but night vision isn't?

I don't understand the logic.

Get both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Plus you don't need uncle SAMs permission to buy them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it better to purchase a night vision scope or the googles ?

One more question

Is there a big learning curve if I purchase a PVS set of googles in leaning how to use them with a rifle scope?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#32]
ATF 41F means get the suppressor first and save some hassle.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shut your whore mouth.

Nods, suppresses and body armor is what separates us from animals.

Get all three.
View Quote

Words to live by
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#35]
$$$$.  It's all about the $$$.

Accessories such as NV and suppressors don't appreciate much in value.  In fact, they depreciate because of new technology. These are not considered collectibles.

With a panic coming, I'd rather put my spare cash in more AR's and milsurps. Maybe ammo.

Disclaimer: I'm a collector / investor. Not a shooter. At my age (71), been there, done that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had experience with NVGs, MGs, and all kinds of fun stuff, but the first time I shot 300 blk suppressed I literally giggled.
View Quote

Yeah, me too.  I even had a RSO come over and ask about my setup. With subsonic suppressed rounds we could hear the lead strike the berm at 100yds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What?

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night vision is awesome, and a great force multiplier, however...  

How often have you fired your 5.56 or 7.62 rifle inside of a normal residential hallway or room?  Try it with and without a suppressor, then get back to us.

What?

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Momp

http://youtu.be/Tekhh7Iy-sM
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:How often have you fired your 5.56 or 7.62 rifle inside of a normal residential hallway or room?  Try it with and without a suppressor, then get back to us.

Having experienced  this I can tell you that you are very, very wrong in your assumption.  Also, a good can will be over 30db reduction.

Lighting off a 5.56 round in a concrete basement without a can compared to with is no comparison since every 10db makes noises twice as loud.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have owned both (Gen 3 NV and suppressors).

Supppressors are useful on an HD gun and a 22lr is just fun.  Other than that I have no use for them.

NV is cool but I live in town and couldn't justify keeping it when I never used it.  Seeing in the pitch black dark is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Whatever they pay you is not enough
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as permanent damage goes, I ain't a doctor, so I cannot really say, but for immediate effects?  Yeah, there's a marked difference in immediate effects of an unsuppressed MP-5 fired indoors from the shoulder (extremely loud ringing, making it difficult to hear anything afterwards,) a suppressed M-4 fired from right beside you by someone else ("dang that was LOUD! But I can still hear things,) and a .357 mag fired right next to your left ear by a guy you are fighting with (absolute and total deafness for more than 10 minutes.  Like, "come on guys, why are you messing with me by moving your mouths and not making any noise.  Wait, why do I sound to myself like I am under water.  Crap.  I can't hear anything.) An unsuppressed Mini-14 fired in my direction from about ten feet away was closer to the .357 mag than the MP-5, but the total loss was much shorter.

I am sure all of them, along with outdoors exposure without ear protection, all contributed to my constant "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee," but there is a difference.
Whatever they pay you is not enough

I am sure that he (and runcible and extorris) does it primarily for the opportunity to give back to his community.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wait till you play with thermal
View Quote

It's alright....much like buying a computer in the 90s the tech is moving so fast it dosent make sense (to me) to buy yet I owned a pas-13b for a while it's value went from $6000 to $2000 in 3 years

Nods are where it's at a good set of gen3 will make you feel super human at night
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Supppressors are useful on an HD gun and a 22lr is just fun.  Other than that I have no use for them.

NV is cool but I live in town and couldn't justify keeping it when I never used it.  Seeing in the pitch black dark is awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question is whether you identify your firearms as toys or insurance.

the former is probably the more accurate description for most people.  But if its the latter, then your insurance should cover you 24-7.

body armor, NVGs, training, fitness.  It ain't cheap.  But if you need it, you REALLY fucking need it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is it better to purchase a night vision scope or the googles ?

One more question

Is there a big learning curve if I purchase a PVS set of googles in leaning how to use them with a rifle scope?
View Quote

Buy goggles. Buy $600 IR laser. Go to range at night. Sight in laser.

Wherever the Dot of Death lands, the bullet strikes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just bought my first suppressor.  

Wouldnt mind buying NVGs and adding it to my tax right offs.  One thing that worries me about NVGs is that they burn out and most companies only offer a 5 yr or less warranty!  That's big bucks for such a short warranty!

After using both nvgs and thermals in mil and contract world, ID much rather have thermals BC they are so much more clear and easy to make out targets at distance.

Would I use thermals or NVGs often in my area?  Most likely Not!
View Quote

NVGs don't burn out unless you're doing something REALLY wrong.
They have a 10,000 HR life. I have a tube made in 1990. It's one of the first models of GenIII (not autogated). I went shooting last night and had no problems seeing without any IR Illum.

I just have to be careful that no one shines a laser or flashlight in my direction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#46]
It's all part of a system that should also include training and being in shape. Someone using a gen1 unit with IR discipline and knowledge of tactics can waste an entire squad of people lollygagging around using IR so much they might as well have flashlights on their heads.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
body armor, NVGs, training, fitness.  It ain't cheap.  But if you need it, you REALLY fucking need it.
View Quote

This.  I'm getting out of the collecting business.  My future gun related purchases will be to fill capability gaps.

Edit: and just to be clear, I'm not against collecting if that's your thing.  I do, however, take issue with the dudes that have stacks of rifles saved for the zombie hordes, but are 300lbs, can't climb a fence, and take so many meds they wouldn't last a month without them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This.  I'm getting out of the collecting business.  My future gun related purchases will be to fill capability gaps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sooner you stop it the better. If I had gotten on the right track at 20 I would probably have thermal, gen3 NVGs, and suppressors already. Instead I'm going to be lucky if I have gen3 by 30 but I have a stupidly large pile of guns I do not shoot more than once a year.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wait till you play with thermal
View Quote

This.  I got my FLIR about a month before my suppressor.  Thermal is incredible!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top