BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Get EVERYTHING in writing.

You get out of your service what you put into it.

Get an MOS that has a high potential for future employment when a civilian again.

Have thick skin BUT as a female know where the line is between being one of the guys and serious harassment.

more importantly...join the Marines!

Haha, yeah because recruiters write contracts themselves and then sign them....

I would guess you never served.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay away from the nuclear power field. I say again, stay the hell out of nuclear power. Worst job in the Navy.

[/span]  

WOW.  I think you have the phrase "Hardest but most rewarding" and "Worst" confused.

You must be fresh out of the Nuclear Navy to have that opinion.  As you progress through life, you will forget all the bad things, and realize how much further ahead you are in life than others your age.

I left the nuclear side in 1991, did 3 more years on conventional ships, and am on my 9th year as a reserve Seabee (twice mobilized for Iraq).

I am a computer geek & EMT on the outside.

Perspective: I haz it

If you enjoy the nuke field then more power to you.

how exactly did you "leave" the nuke field, it isn't like they are willing to let their investment in training go because you would prefer a different job? no offense but when someone is de-nuked it is usually on bad terms (performance or otherwise) unless it is a medical issue.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Retire? Lol? Sounds like he went from AD to reserves. That would be an easy way to leave the nuke side.

I guess you felt like it would be a good idea to try and zing some anonymous person on the internet though by stating most fact like that they probably left on bad terms, performance or otherwise (what the fuck does that mean? Can you have bad terms not performance related?).

No offense of course..... hahaha riiiight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Finally for today, The Chief is your god; they are the most knowledgeable people around.

That's painting with a broad brush. My senior chief was a retard and my chief was a nutjob. Seriously, the walking around in the loony bin kind.

A good Chief is worth his weight in gold. A bad Chief is a clusterfuck of biblical proportions.

we used to defferentiate between a chief and an e-7.  the chief was a good guy who had his shit together.  the e-7 was a butt shark who didn't know the sub from a fishing tender.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had a chief.

My first DIVO was freakin' awesome. Vietnam-era Lt Cmdr that didn't take crap from anyone (even as a Lt). He left and we got a worthless CWO4 that rolled over for every dept on the ship. We just got walked on after that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
"Retire? Lol? Sounds like he went from AD to reserves. That would be an easy way to leave the nuke side.

I guess you felt like it would be a good idea to try and zing some anonymous person on the internet though by stating most fact like that they probably left on bad terms, performance or otherwise (what the fuck does that mean? Can you have bad terms not performance related?).

No offense of course..... hahaha riiiight. "

I don't know a whe lot of guys who retire/go to reserves then work on conventional ships for 3 years.  You will notice he didn't take offense and answered the question.  It is very rare to see someone leave the field so I asked.  As to what the fuck I meant by performance or otherwise the other most common reason we lose a nuke who stays in the navy is security clearance... So chill out he is a big boy and you are maybe a little too sensitive on others behalf

-mike

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Get her training in writing. Make sure she knows that if she fails the training, she'll be going to the fleet as an un-designated apprentice (seaman, airman or fireman). She'll be doing the shittiest jobs there are until she can strike into a rating. Once she is designated, she'll be doing the shittiest job within that rating until she gets some time on the pond.

Have her speak to someone who has recent Navy sea-going experience. Have that person tell her about the day to day working life of a sailor. You could also make her watch Ground hogs day 12 times in a row. Going to sea can really suck. Sometimes it sucks so bad that people do almost anything to get off the ship. An IT type job keeps you in the air conditioning more often than not, but probably requires a longer enlistment period. Maybe the Navy is or is not the right place for her. Only she can make that decision. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have joined the Coast Guard.

I served on a sub tender that tended FBM submarines. It was high stress and most shops were working assholes and elbows 24/7/365. I saw tons of people leave due to drugs, alcohol, pregnancy and mental stress problems. The running joke was that if someone didn't show up for work, they were on the 4th floor at Naval Hospital Jax, which was the psyche ward. It was only partly a joke, because there were scores of people who had done just that. I served on two other ships that were great. Good crews and decent officers and chiefs. You never know where you're going to get stuck.

What I'm trying to say is make sure she is prepared to work her ass off, be stressed out, and be cooped up on a ship. She'll be getting hit on 50 times a day. I never had that problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
tell her to stock up on slim fast and birth control

There will be no shortage of guys lining up to try and do bad things to her. Just telling it how it is.

Yep I think its just too much for a lot of the ladies to handle.  They go about life never really getting any special treatment from men, then all of a sudden they go from being a below average looking lady to a "Fob Queen".  Now 1000's of guys want to bang them....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]
EOD
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be no shortage of guys lining up to try and do bad things to her. Just telling it how it is.

Yep I think its just too much for a lot of the ladies to handle.  They go about life never really getting any special treatment from men, then all of a sudden they go from being a below average looking lady to a "Fob Queen".  Now 1000's of guys want to bang them....

Can't say I have met a guy who was ever in the military that would be happy about his daughter or sister joining..............
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
My 2 cents. Stay away from any job with heavy lifting. As females, in my experience, make more work for the guys. I did ordnance and that requires a lot of lifting...no help from the female crowd. Have her look into rates that will provide jobs once out. On the other hand you are only in once (usually) so why not do something you can't do as a civi. Not smart in the long run though.

As far all the females being sluts in the navy... I think that has been covered. I have stories but that's for another thread...

Good luck to her

Oh and for the suck of being underway, it's so FUCKING true! Ground hogs day is nojoke.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh and for the suck of being underway, it's so FUCKING true! Ground hogs day is nojoke.

Amen! It wasn't uncommon to spend 10 months underway. Beyond deployments you have various work-ups, weapons on/off-load, exercises, drug ops (maybe), etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen! It wasn't uncommon to spend 10 months underway. Beyond deployments you have various work-ups, weapons on/off-load, exercises, drug ops (maybe), etc.

Yeah an 18 month deployment cycle means you spend 2-3-4 weeks a month at sea training for a year. Then you deploy for 6 months. So you really do spend about 8 months of that year underway, then deploy... Good Times...

That leads me to a rant. All that crap when a war starts and they show ships coming to port finishing up a deployment and the news goes on and on and on about these warriors and there deployment....
1) your average sailor is not a warrior! A fucking supply officer or chief or seaman is not a fucking warrior. The media has diluted that word. God bless all the true warriors and there are not many.
2) the navy is ALWAYS deployed, war or not, ALWAYS. So why give media coverage to a ship pulling in during wartime when war time navy and peace time navy having being doing the same damn thing since WWII. I'm talking ships here, not the added ASF stuff that has been added. Fleet navy, ALWAYS deployed. Only difference, longer work hours for SOME rates.
End rant

I sailed war time and peace time.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
HA on groundhogs day, that is no joke.
Everyone in the medical corps are whores, sick slutty dirty corpswhores.
It was the suck 100% of the time but ya know what, it was frigging worth it. Some things sucked worse than others but then again some were pretty cool. Talking fun guns and high explosives.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]
GEEEE-eeee, it seems like a lot of people didn't have that much fun on sea duty..........makes me feel less guilty when I read all the good comments on reunion pages.

Being on sea duty is classified as arduous for a reason. When I look back at my time in the Navy, I remember my shore duty much more fondly than my sea duty. The latter for me probably had more hellish feelings than that of joy and in that particular segment, it is probably not something I would want to relive.

BUT, it is something I signed up for and that I am proud that I did. I am proud to say that I did a Med deployment, 2 Gitmos, spent about 3.33 years on USN sea duty (and another year with other government ships). I'm proud to say that I spent a year and a half living on ships where that was my only mailing address. Going to sea is not something I shy away from either when they were getting ready to send me out on another tour of sea duty (but situations changed) or now when the job requires me in the drink.

Item to note: sea sickness comes on a lot quicker on something small and it is a lot easier to get one's sea legs on something big.

Back then, it seemed that purely being at sea was a lot better than being in port. That in being at sea, one got away from the insanity that happened in port. The Commodore wants to get his hair cut on one of his ships. Clean the ship and then when he gets here, put on your inspection working uniform.  It's winter, it's the holiday season, the ship is in maintenance................and some major admiral is going to tour the port and use your ship to step from his barge to the dock. Cancel leaves, get everyone back here, and paint the ship, paint over water if need be, so the ship looks wonderful for his few steps. It's one inspection, for readiness, after another, and everyone is hustling to be ready for it because no one wants to fail an inspection.......and yet, there is all the other work that has to be done, too.

Maybe it has changed since then, but I doubt it.  

So being entirely at sea is a breeze? Hardly. Essentially, there is the work you do, there are two watches a day, then there is work one does for special which are many and emergency situations. Your watches, special evolutions, and emergency situations will probably most certainly cut into your sleep time and except for minor exceptions for watches, there won't be any compensations for that, no other times to sleep. You are, however, not likely to go hungry......though it may be a quick meal. I have fond memories of coming off a bridge watch, picking up my breakfast on a paper plate, and eating it as I walked back for morning flight quarters. In my era, showers were often secured at sea.

Special evolutions can include but are not limited to, Sea and Anchor (leaving, entering port), underway replenishment, flight quarters, anchor watch, boat details, and so forth. Think of anything that might occur at sea and there can be a plan, an arrangement of the crew, to handle it. Emergency can be general quarters, man overboard, oil spill, security alerts, downed aircraft, etc..

You are on a piece of steel out in the middle of the drink where there is no beer and there is no getting away from it all (although with modern Net type comms, there may be a virtual example). You see the same people every day which includes those who make your live unpleasant. There is one person at the top who decides how your life will be and may dash your plans, such as for the next port, in an instant. The Captain may have rules of how you leave the ship in a foreign port; seen one ship where shorts and tank tops do not cut it.

It's tough, dirty, hot, sweaty work.......and if your job is one that isn't dependent on sunlight, then it can be around the clock.

You might be told to gather your stuff and move out of where you sleep because you just picked up some refugees and they need it, instead. (in my case, it was often for visiting officers). There might be some cool stuff you want to buy overseas but you can't because you can't have it aboard ship, or if you can, then it is locked up for months till you get back home. You may arrive in some port where the natives are having fun riding jet skis but you can't because those things are forbidden (something I've noticed in the change of eras; in my time, that kind of thing was encouraged) or where they are out there all day having fun but you get only to have fun from 1700 to 2200....or 0000......or only 2200. Or the town looks great when you first get there and then you find out the town shuts down at 2200 and after a week, it's pretty boring, but it's the only place around off the ship.

Now, one thing I will note on. I think the enlisted have more of an oppurtunity to find others to have fun with and I'm not talking about sex than the officers. I believe that some of my fellow officers acted with their enlisted like high school buddies and that's not proper to me (but maybe I'm just too stiff). But if one is only suppose to "socially" interact with other officers, with a narrow pool, and there isn't anyone else in that pool, it tends to get tedious.

As "bad" as it was, they are memories that I do not bury away. There are a lot of invigorating ones as well, like being in a fog bank and following a carrier through the Strait of Messina; climbing up to a very high bow on a rope ladder when others are nervous about doing such; riding in an "AMTRAC" to be on the beach with the Marines; being in a very small boat in a trough to look up at the stern of a ship on a crest and seeing it like a dark castle on some great mountain; seeing water as smooth as glass, where the wake of ship that passed hours before is still there; the unreal vision, like one is on a movie set, of doing an unrep at night; impressing if not aggravating people because you know more about things than they do (or will ever know); being that close to helicopters that if anything goes wrong, you've bought it; being places that many people will never be; busting drug boats; being bold and brash; being admired for one's deadliness; being assigned to posts because they know you can handle the job; taking care of others; and so forth.

I did it once and am glad I did. If I was younger, I'd do it again.
("I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die."––Batty, (wtte), "Blade Runner")
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get everything in writing is the big one, but also keep everything.  Don't throw away your evals just cause they're a few years old.  That save my ass when getting frocked for second.  They had down that I didn't have a frocking eval for third class and so couldn't get second.  I went to my rack and got my copy of my eval.  Problem solved.  Also tell her that she will be a nub for the first long while.  This isn't bad, it's just so people get aclamated to what's going on around them.  You don't start doing you accual job until your fully qualified, which depending on your job could take a few years.  I was a nuke on a sub so it took me 14 months after I got there.  Other than that, basic .mil stuff. JO's are idiots unless prior enlisted.  Chiefs are all good old boys.  Second classes run the navy   CO's want to be admirals, XO's want to be COs.  And of course have a thick skin.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't say I have met a guy who was ever in the military that would be happy about his daughter or sister joining..............

I'd introduce you to my dad, but he died, a Navy Veteran in 1994, very proud of me.

My brother, a Marine veteran, is also proud of his Army sister.

Anytime you'd like an intro, lemmie know.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a job that keeps her off ships or she'll become a receptacle.

Receptacle, huh?  Would that be anything like a "cum dumpster"?

Jane

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:13:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What advice should I give her? Anything I should know about the precess that she might want to talk about. General info would be helpful.

Thanks

My niece joined up almost 2 years ago. Medical Corpsman. I gave here the best advice I could offer. So far, she has ignored every bit of it. I told her, don't get hooked up with a sailor. Don't chase your sailor boyfriend to his base. Don't get married, don't get knocked up. Get orders over seas, Italy or Japan, see some of the world. Enroll in college courses as soon as you settle in with your unit.
She had a sailor boyfriend as soon as she got to A school. She had another before she graduated from A school. She followed him to Cherry Point. They moved in together, they got engaged. She got pregnant (miscarriage). All within her first two years of a 5 year hitch. She is an idiot and not worthy of my advice. I hope yours is brighter.

very good advice there. stay the fuck away from sailor boyfriends. that will cure most of the problems she can face. the haters, i have seen a bunch of the negative side of females in the Navy in 18 years. there a a lot of great females but they are the minority and they get the shit sandwich made by the majority with the bad reputation.

ETA: tell her to run away if they offer MA. the rate is hugely overmanned. PO3 went from 90% advancement to 30% in the last year or 2 and PO2 and up are all over 100% manned. advancement in my rate is in the crapper.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Please DO NOT disparage the women in the armed forces.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top