Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
He should study and memorize this phrase... You want fries with that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My sister is elbow-deep in debt for her degree in "Women's Studies".

What?  You can get a degree in cooking and cleaning now?  Who would have thought!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Actually, years ago a woman COULD get a degree in Home Economics, which had both practical uses and could be used to get a job teaching Home Ec to elementary and HS students.  I piocked up a Home Economics textbook from the 40's, thinking it would be full of wisdom on how to do stuff.  Nope - on anything more than basic facts, the book referred to "as your teacher has shown you."  Which increased my respect for Home Economics teachers greatly.  They couldn't "teach from the book" - they had to be competent at everything the textbook covered.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually got a lot of good education out of college... I could not do my job today without that experience. It was not liberal arts. Suckers.

Well, color me surprised

Computer Science is technically a liberal art.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to choose 2 of 3 journalism classes to finish my degree. One of the classes was full, so I got stuck in "Women's studies in Journalism"

The professor was female with a hyphenated last name.

Yes, she was a bitch.

Yes, the class was as fucked up as it sounds.

Especially when we had to watch this sci-fi movie where the main female character was raped for the purpose of procreation (re-populating the world). More than a few of us got up and left.

I got a D.

After I left, they killed the whole Journalism program, which took it out of my degree program. Thank God. That shit needed to go away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
College is something I regret not finishing.  I'm a crappy student.  At least I learned that before sinking $50k plus way back when.

But on a side note I know a Philosophy Major from a major Lib Arts school that latter on became an Air Force OV-10 & F15 pilot, flew for Delta in 737, MD-80s,  757 & 767's.  I guess the Eagle Scout that he earned before he dropped out of HS helped.  Love ya Blood (yea my older brother did some shit the hard way)

7mm
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
so they have gaydom studies now at college?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
"Higher education" = second biggest scam going, next to religion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
College can fix ignorance, but it can't fix stupid.  If you think that spending over an eight of a million dollars for an education in completely unmarketable fields is a good investment, well, you're stupid and college won't fix that fact.  It may even exacerbate it...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Once again, I refer you to my niece, with her NYU BA in "Collecting and Displaying Cultural Objects" degree.  About $100,000 debt, and slinging hash in Brooklyn.

I'll bet she has a nice collection of bongs, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My sister is elbow-deep in debt for her degree in "Women's Studies". She very much regrets it, and is back in school to become a math teacher.

I remember hearing a piece on NPR a few years ago, where it had dawned on some professors in Black Studies and Women's Studies that the only jobs their students were qualified for was...teaching Black Studies and Women's Studies.  They were basically a self perpetuating, isolated program, whose only real purpose was to serve as a PC fig leaf for the college and create replacements for retiring professors.

What was their solution?  Adding a gender/ethnic studies requirement to other programs?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The cold, unforgiving fist of reality craters the gut of another incompetent loon.

_MaH

Quoted:
The cold, unforgiving fist of reality craters the gut of another incompetent loon.

_MaH

Quoted:

_MaH

Quoted:

_MaH

Quoted multiple times because it was that good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I will not pay for a liberal arts degree for my children.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

that's a shame––i personally like the idea of children who are actually educated, instead of merely being fed into the apprenticeship system of trade schooling.

the liberal arts:

-grammar

-rhetoric

-logic

-arithmetic

-geometry

-musical theory

-cosmology

to which is commonly added:

-literature

-history

-philosophy

-life and earth science

without a basic study of these things, one can hardly consider himself to be educated.  well-trained, perhaps, but certainly not prepared for life in the same way that...say...the founding fathers were.  

a trained person is a tool.

an educated person is his own master.

Others have handled the *ZING* angle for me, heheh, so I'll just add that I am spending a LOT of money on their early education to provide a quality base such as you describe. I just know what I didn't get from my college education (history and ed psych), and that is any sort of marketable and desirable job skills. My job has nothing to do with my degree, and doesn't even require a degree.
Am I glad I got my degree? Sure. Its absence was something hanging over me, unfinished business. BUT, I can't look at anything and say "I can do that." I can say "I can figure out how to do that," but I could do that without the degree. Chemists know how to do chemistry, and people will pay them to do that. How cool is that? All I can do is read books and think. It makes me loads of fun on the internet, but I'd rather have my mortgage paid off and know whether I'm wokring tomorrow or not.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Just because a school offers a degree program does not mean one should take it or that it is there to fill some void in the workplace, job market or that there is any desire for someone with that education at all.

Its just there for whoever wants to pay for it, just like basket weaving class, ballroom dance or fingerpainting....

I can not even guess what a "Gender and Sexuality Studies major" would be classified as... surely it is not liberal arts? that is a different kind of liberal..

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

_MaH

That's downright poetical.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
And this is something I'm running into.  I have an AAS in recreation therapy, and I can get a job as an activities assistant at a nursing home or retirement facility.  

Problem is, they say they want more experience.  But how is someone supposed to get experience when a facility doesn't give them a shot?

(shrug)

Thing is, I can't imagine doing anything else.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
why go into debt for an education?

I did.  And paid for it for 7 years.

Worth EVERY fucking penny.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This

TXL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Degrees like that can still be useful as stepping stones to advanced degrees - provided you have an excellent GPA in the end.

they can get you INTO an advanced degree program, but if you don't know math, or history, or logical thought, critical analysis, communications, or many of the other actually relevant subjects you learn when getting a degree worth a shit, you can PASS those advanced classes.

Why would you go DEEPER into debt for an advance degree in basket weaving...

TXL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't you hate it when colleges and universities force you to take classes at gun point?  

Getting a college degree is a club that you are forced to join. . .

It is a joke, and what makes it even more bitter:  When I was unemployed, several positions would not even consider me because I have no college degree. . . never mind that I had several decades of experience. . . you know, actually DOING stuff. . . .

My son is now in his last year of college.  He was trying for nursing, but the chemistry and other technical stuff was just too much for him. . .so I told him "Just get a degree in SOMETHING!"   Unless you are going into the trades (which more young people should consider––-damn the popular culture and their biases against this type of work!) you MUST have that piece of paper or you will have a difficult time just getting considered for a job. . . It stinks, but it's the way of world today.

Sorry man, you did not help your son.

Getting a degree in anything, means you have apiece of paper that says you don't know shit.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I realize things have changed but I got a BA Degree in 1976 and it's served me well since then.  I've made a very comfortable living as a sales representative.

Pharmaceutical and construction sales to heavy civil contractors –– pipe, precast concrete, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This pretty much sums up a Woman's Study curriculum.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x166/CnAPhot/humor/blamemen.jpg

Seriously. I met a bunch of my sister's friends that had also majored in women's studies. They were all hairy legged super-libtards. I love my sister, but.. thank God she developed a few brain cells once reality hit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's a shame––i personally like the idea of children who are actually educated, instead of merely being fed into the apprenticeship system of trade schooling.

the liberal arts:

-grammar

-rhetoric

-logic

-arithmetic

-geometry

-musical theory

-cosmology

-literature

-history

-philosophy

-life and earth science
without a basic study of these things, one can hardly consider himself to be educated. well-trained, perhaps, but certainly not prepared for life in the same way that...say...the founding fathers were.

Wow, that is very insightful.

Would you mind telling me where you work so I could stop by. It would be nice to have a waiter that can carry on a good conversation for a change.

i've been running people's businesses for about 10 years.  now i'm back in school, getting degrees in philosophy and psychology.

you?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

This reminds me when I was in the Army and got to go Central Washington University with a Army recruiter.  God it was beautiful, the recruiter was having a killing there.  About a dozen kids with those "underwater basket weaving degrees" came up to get the ball rolling on how to join the Army and have Uncle Sam pay $50,000 of student loans off.  They had come to the realization that they were never going to get a job.  My buddy and I laughed our asses off, quite a few these kids were going to have a rough time in the Army.  

It was nice gig for a few days, quite a few hotties to be seen there.  

I was "free dating" a chick at CWU while stationed at Fort Lewis. And I agree with this statement.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Others have handled the *ZING* angle for me, heheh, so I'll just add that I am spending a LOT of money on their early education to provide a quality base such as you describe. I just know what I didn't get from my college education (history and ed psych), and that is any sort of marketable and desirable job skills. My job has nothing to do with my degree, and doesn't even require a degree.

Am I glad I got my degree? Sure. Its absence was something hanging over me, unfinished business. BUT, I can't look at anything and say "I can do that." I can say "I can figure out how to do that," but I could do that without the degree. Chemists know how to do chemistry, and people will pay them to do that. How cool is that? All I can do is read books and think. It makes me loads of fun on the internet, but I'd rather have my mortgage paid off and know whether I'm wokring tomorrow or not.

well, that's just a difference in educational philosophies, then.  if someone judges the worth of a life by financial station, and adopts an employee mindset to go about attaining that financial station, then i can't say that they are wrong.  but i can lament the abandonment of the classical education.  

we see it every day in modern america: "it doesn't matter if i can't write properly, argue logically, think cohesively, understand basic scientific concepts, or have some familiarity with the movement of history.  all that's important are my benefits and 401k."

i'm glad thomas jefferson didn't feel that way.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#25]
"I regret that tuition was $40,000 a year, so that my classmates were mostly rich, white kids."

Apparently, 160K down the drain and he still believes that diversity crap. Lost cause.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if this is where a certain member here got his $160,000.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I run a gender and sexuality corporation and we're hiring.  We're laying off in our Hindu Studies division though.  Been a tough year for those guys.

lol

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Once again, I refer you to my niece, with her NYU BA in "Collecting and Displaying Cultural Objects" degree.  About $100,000 debt, and slinging hash in Brooklyn.

She should have opted for a minor in Puppetry so she would have more opportunities.

Or, she could get her parents to send her to Tibet, where she could dance naked in glitter, and screw the locals.  What ever happened to THAT hippie chick, any word?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My sister is elbow-deep in debt for her degree in "Women's Studies". She very much regrets it, and is back in school to become a math teacher.

That's Wymyn's Studies to you plebians...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am paying 40 dollars in tuition this semester. Before the budget crisis in Arizona, I was paid to go to school.

I am an economics major. I'm taking all the hard math I can. I had no idea I was good at math entering college, or I might have chosen engineering of some type instead. That said, I'm happy where I am. It just sucks that to do anything worth while, I need to spend another 5 years in college, and be referred to as Couch-Commando-prof and tell goose stories.

Actually, I love school so that doesn't suck. I hear a PhD is a prerequisite to being a GD moderator...

I am looking forward to co-authoring papers with you when you are Couch-Commando-Prof.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I regret that tuition was $40,000 a year, so that my classmates were mostly rich, white kids.

There has to be a better way to write that statement.  You would think a journalism major could write more clearly.

We'll see more clearly written posts in this thread.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Stupid people are funny. What did they really expect????
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

_MaH

Couldn't have said it better myself.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#34]
If you went to school for a major like womens studies, or sex studies, or any other moonbat degree you just about DESERVE to go into default on your loans. America needs competent scientists , mathematicians, managers, and skilled technical tradesmen of all types. Getting a degree like any of those mentioned previously is worthless to you and to the nation. People going to school for crap like that is what got us where we are today.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the liberal arts:

-grammar

-rhetoric

-logic

-arithmetic

-geometry

-musical theory

-cosmology

-literature

-history

-philosophy

-life and earth science
without a basic study of these things, one can hardly consider himself to be educated. well-trained, perhaps, but certainly not prepared for life in the same way that...say...the founding fathers were.

Would you mind telling me where you work so I could stop by. It would be nice to have a waiter that can carry on a good conversation for a change.

i've been running people's businesses for about 10 years. now i'm back in school, getting degrees in philosophy and psychology.

you?

In my opinion, there should be some element of most of these in an education; be it technical or otherwise.  

Education brings perspective, and perspective brings greater awareness in life.

I was an accounting major, hold a CPA license, carry a Texas master electrician license, and do all of my own car repair , so I get the technical side, it pays the bills.

But I also know I wouldn't think about things the way I do without the history, art, and other electives I took.

Get a technical education, but expose yourself to the arts as well.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't regret my education in the slightest.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The only place this girl is going is to grad school.    Or a coffee shop.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember hearing a piece on NPR a few years ago, where it had dawned on some professors in Black Studies and Women's Studies that the only jobs their students were qualified for was...teaching Black Studies and Women's Studies.  They were basically a self perpetuating, isolated program, whose only real purpose was to serve as a PC fig leaf for the college and create replacements for retiring professors.

They could get a job with the NAACP or Jesse Jackon's or Al Sharpton's posse!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

the liberal arts:

-grammar

-rhetoric

-logic

-arithmetic

-geometry

-musical theory

-cosmology

-literature

-history

-philosophy

-life and earth science

i've been running people's businesses for about 10 years.  now i'm back in school, getting degrees in philosophy and psychology.

you?

All you need to learn those things is a library card and an internet connection. You can get all of that without having to spend tens of thousands and risk getting a C or worse if you refuse to pay lip service to some insecure professor's biases, not to mention all of the other unpleasantness that goes along with college.

I knew a guy who was smart as hell and decided to go into philosophy. He was extremely arrogant about it initially, real ivory tower wannabe type, actually looked down on me for going after a "dull" science degree. He was a good student, but went tens of thousands in debt at a fancy second-tier university in spite of having half his tuition on scholarship, worked at Wal-Mart for a couple years after that, and eventually got accepted into a philosophy grad school program. Then, upon realizing he'd have to triple his already horrendous debt to do this, with no guarantee that he would ever manage to become a professor of some sort, said "fuck it" and is now back in undergrad trying to become a chemical engineer. I'm not ready to gloat just yet myself, but I know he wasn't having fun working at Wal-Mart.

If you're going to invest 4-5 years of your life and take on enough debt to buy a house, at least do it for something that will offer a return on that investment. I don't know how any decision could be more clear.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The only place this girl is going is to grad school.    Or a coffee shop.

Coffee shop chicks are the worst. They get their fancy BA or BS then blame men for their lot in life.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#41]
This is about the only silver lining in the fact student debt can never be discharged by bankruptcy.

Boy will they pay for their stupidity.

Poor choices usually have poor outcomes.

Go figure.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with liberal arts.  I studied political philosophy, Roman, Medieval, and American history, international relations, biology, and a smattering of other broad courses - all useful subjects.  You just have to be careful and pick the real courses from "History of Prostitution."

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is about the only silver lining in the fact student debt can never be discharged by bankruptcy.

Boy will they pay for their stupidity.

Poor choices usually have poor outcomes.

I guess they don't teach that in "Gender and Sexuality Studies".

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Study what you want, but make sure you want what you study.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

In my opinion, there should be some element of most of these in an education; be it technical or otherwise.

i strongly agree with this.  what i object to is the attitude that life is about the accumulation of money and material posessions, and therefore that an education is merely instrumental to these ends.  it saddens me that such a disposition is so pervasive in this thread.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

All you need to learn those things is a library card and an internet connection. You can get all of that without having to spend tens of thousands and risk getting a C or worse if you refuse to pay lip service to some insecure professor's biases, not to mention all of the other unpleasantness that goes along with college.

I knew a guy who was smart as hell and decided to go into philosophy. He was extremely arrogant about it initially, real ivory tower wannabe type, actually looked down on me for going after a "dull" science degree. He was a good student, but went tens of thousands in debt at a fancy second-tier university in spite of having half his tuition on scholarship, worked at Wal-Mart for a couple years after that, and eventually got accepted into a philosophy grad school program. Then, upon realizing he'd have to triple his already horrendous debt to do this, with no guarantee that he would ever manage to become a professor of some sort, said "fuck it" and is now back in undergrad trying to become a chemical engineer. I'm not ready to gloat just yet myself, but I know he wasn't having fun working at Wal-Mart.

If you're going to invest 4-5 years of your life and take on enough debt to buy a house, at least do it for something that will offer a return on that investment. I don't know how any decision could be more clear.

oh, there is no doubt that it can be done––how else could the disciplines have been developed in the first place?  but then again, these are the foundational skills for living an adult life.  how many people do you personallyu know who have actually educated themselves in this way with any degree of academic rigor?

let's take you, for example.  what was the last text that you studied (actually studied, not just read) on, say, propositional logic?  or physics?

i don't disagree with the idea that going heavily into debt in the pursuit of a nonmarketable degree is foolish.  i was one of those kids a long, long time ago, and i've finally paid my way out of that folly.  but to reject things like logic and history as somehow less important than job training is foolish in the extreme, because it turns people into wage-earning robots who lack the tools to think for themselves (which we see daily in arfcom science threads and political threads).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#47]
the real problem with a liberal arts education, is that it doesn't produce as good a product as it did up to 50 years ago. The leftists came in and turned it into an indoctrination program and the bankers were more than happy to take young Johnny and Sally's tuition money.

However, here are some guys who might disagree about the merit of an education in things like politics,rhetoric and history.You might recognize them.

but some of the auto-cad cowboys who think that they are superior to anybody who doesn't enjoy math were too busy playing with this to read a book without numbers and pictures.

but here is somebody else they probably won't recognize...

his name is Rajive and he is willing to do your job for less than that Women's Studies major makes at starbucks.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i strongly agree with this.  what i object to is the attitude that life is about the accumulation of money and material posessions, and therefore that an education is merely instrumental to these ends.  it saddens me that such a disposition is so pervasive in this thread.

No, life is not all about money and material possessions, but while pursuing education and knowledge can be a hobby, college is not a hobby. When you look at the cost of college, and accept the idea that college is supposed to prepare you for a career, certain choices make more sense. I got my degree and I wish it was more useful. I did not need college to learn what I learned in college. Maybe it's because I was an adult/non-trad student, but it was essentially a reading list and access to a few people for a few conversations. We can talk about the nobility of the quest for knowledge all we want, but when it's all said and done, I was paying $40 admission for each class meeting, and the value sucked for hat I got out of it. I can pursue knowledge for the rest of my life, and with a decent career, I'd have a lot more opportunity.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the liberal arts:

-grammar

-rhetoric

-logic

-arithmetic

-geometry

-musical theory

-cosmology

-literature

-history

-philosophy

-life and earth science

without a basic study of these things, one can hardly consider himself to be educated.  well-trained, perhaps, but certainly not prepared for life in the same way that...say...the founding fathers were.  

ouch.... it's hard to believe you haven't drowned yet with you nose that far in the air. College isn't everything. It's far from everything. To say a trained person is a tool is a blanket statement that makes it sound like you have an elitist point of view.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

the liberal arts:

-grammar

-rhetoric

-logic

-arithmetic

-geometry

-musical theory

-cosmology

-literature

-history

-philosophy

-life and earth science

I agree with sirensong.  I am a proponent of a liberal education.  We as a society should be well-educated if we are to be successful in the world.
eta: Here I want to quote avslash, who several posts up said: "Education brings perspective, and perspective brings greater awareness in life."

Honestly, with a good liberal-arts education you CAN do anything you want –– the problem is that most kids in college these days are aimless n'erdowells who just went to college because it's what you're supposed to do next after high school, right? –– and should never have been in college to begin with.  THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM BAD PEOPLE, BUT COLLEGE, AND LIBERAL EDUCATION, IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

I studied Mathematics and German language in college.  I wish I had taken more history and literature.  I am a successful professional and my occupation has absolutely nothing to do with Mathematics or linguistics.
My Aunt has a degree in English and retired in the last few years from a top management position in a major corporation.

eta: I am not defending things like gender-studies which really perverts that classical idea of liberal education.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top