Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bogged Down
Anybody who thought it was going to be a walk in the park, deserves what they got.
You don't just knock a guy out of power, and then the flowers bloom, and birds start chirping, and you go home to your girl.

Yeah! What he said! BTW....just when did we finally get to pull all of our troops out of Japan and Germany, following the post WWII occupations?

I hope you arent comparing the occupation of Japan and Germany (by the way, we're still in those countries) to whats happening now.  How many post war Germans/Japanese blew themeselves up on a daily basis?  

It's called "Rhetoric"...

...and to answer your question, I 'll cite a dubious source:www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-06-24-iraq-transfer-occupation_x.htm

Japan: Adopted a constitution 15 months after the war ended, and put it into effect in May 1947. There was no postwar insurgency. Japan formally surrendered and was much more badly damaged than Iraq after the war.

Germany: Took three years to write a constitution and four years to hold elections. There was almost (italicized to emphasize!) no postwar insurgency. Also badly damaged after the war and formally surrendered.

Yeah....I kind of had a clue about the occupation thing too....Ever been stationed on mainland Japan? Last time I was there was '92... at MCAS Iwakuni...25 miles soutwest of Hiroshima...

Although,,... I wonder........ does the Red Army Faction occassionally mortaring US bases in Japan count as "insurgency"?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bogged Down
Anybody who thought it was going to be a walk in the park, deserves what they got.
You don't just knock a guy out of power, and then the flowers bloom, and birds start chirping, and you go home to your girl.

Yeah! What he said! BTW....just when did we finally get to pull all of our troops out of Japan and Germany, following the post WWII occupations?

I hope you arent comparing the occupation of Japan and Germany (by the way, we're still in those countries) to whats happening now.  How many post war Germans/Japanese blew themeselves up on a daily basis?  

Actually, quite a few. We spent some time routing out Nazi's. Media was as immediate then, as it is now, and it was easier suppressed.

Oops, the gunny beat me, see above.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top