Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I also could not justify spending 6k on a zero turn, and ive lost patience with garden style tractors....

So I got a Husqvarna z248f.....48 inch fabricated deck, cast iron greasable spindles, commercial kawasaki 23hp v twin.

Only thing is it has the weaker hydros, but I only have an acre to mow.

3180.00 delivered to my door online, 500 cheaper than lowes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You better get a 60'' or 72'' deck and spend 7k+ on your mower for that kind of work. Get a fuel injected Kohler or liquid cooled Kawasaki if you can.

Im a Scag fan, but Big Dog is the best mower for the money IMO. Skip the Exmark from my experience.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Also don't be afraid to talk to that guy down the road with cows. Be might be willing to take on a few head that graze on your field ava pay you with a half cow of beef.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have decided to bump up to a 60" deck, and if I can get a 0% finance deal, I could probably go up to $5K if necessary.

And thanks for the advice on the hydros.  Gives me something to look at on different mower models to gauge their quality.  I did notice that the heavier-duty Cub Cadet and Hustler residential models have zt2800 hydros, which seems to be the generally-recommended minimum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy a box store zero turn!

If you will be mowing 4.5 acres, stop looking at residential stuff. That isn't what those are for. Commerical is the only way to go. The 60" deck is a great idea though.

I mow 5-6 acres with a Toro I am always repairing and I wish someone told me that when I first bought my property.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
In a similar situation.

The property we're about to buy is 10 acres , only about 5 to actually now though.

Was able to negotiate with the home owner to purchase his 168 hour Scag Tiger Cat with 6 1 inch deck .

I tried it out beforehand and was impressed. Didn't even want to think about using my current early 80's John Deere 318 with 48"deck lol .

I'm only the second owner and it just rolled past 500 hours recently. Still runs and cuts like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you will be mowing 4.5 acres, stop looking at residential stuff. That isn't what those are for. Commerical is the only way to go. The 60" deck is a great idea though.

I mow 5-6 acres with a Toro I am always repairing and I wish someone told me that when I first bought my property.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm planning to buy from a dealer for the after-sale support, and also just because there seem to only be maybe two models sold in the box stores that would be minimally acceptable.

I plan on mowing it the first time with my existing mower just to get a feel for the land.  I'm also curious to see how long it takes, so I'll know how big an improvement the new mower gives me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm planning to buy from a dealer for the after-sale support, and also just because there seem to only be maybe two models sold in the box stores that would be minimally acceptable.

I plan on mowing it the first time with my existing mower just to get a feel for the land.  I'm also curious to see how long it takes, so I'll know how big an improvement the new mower gives me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drink lots of beer your going to be out there for a while.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It'll be interesting, but I bet your 42" mower doesn't get it all cut in a day without breaking something.

I'd put the over/under at 5 hours continuous running while a properly powered 60'' can get it done in 90 minutes depending on obstacles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It'll be interesting, but I bet your 42" mower doesn't get it all cut in a day without breaking something.

I'd put the over/under at 5 hours continuous running while a properly powered 60'' can get it done in 90 minutes depending on obstacles.
View Quote
Maybe a properly powered ZTR could get it done in 2 hours.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#12]
A used grounds keeeper mower like this.  They can be had for a good price.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe a properly powered ZTR could get it done in 2 hours.
View Quote
You're probably right. It's hard to guesstimate a yard without walking it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've never kept any kind of livestock but I'm not opposed to it.  I would need to learn how, of course.
My wife already said she wants to try her hand at a few chickens.  The land is already zoned agricultural.

But we need to get settled in first.  I won't want to do anything like that until next year at the earliest.
View Quote
Keep? Just turn them loose, and eat them if they die.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#15]
If the old Jacodsens are too big, i would get a Toro Groundsmaster with a 72" deck.  More comfy than a short ZTR.  Please do not buy box store shit.

This will last you a long time, diesel!

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File
Got this last week,love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have decided to bump up to a 60" deck, and if I can get a 0% finance deal, I could probably go up to $5K if necessary.

And thanks for the advice on the hydros.  Gives me something to look at on different mower models to gauge their quality.  I did notice that the heavier-duty Cub Cadet and Hustler residential models have zt2800 hydros, which seems to be the generally-recommended minimum.
View Quote
Go to your John Deere dealer you can get 60 month no interest. And they have options for 84 months.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Back when I had 2 acres of grass to mow in NW Ohio, I farmed it out. I found a guy who did it at $75 a whack. Took him 30 minutes on his beast of a commercial mower. At that price, it takes a looooong time to break even on a $5-6k mower, when you're only using it 6-7 months out of the year and paying for gas, maintenance, etc. 

I drank beer and watched him work. It was pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd be spending the extra to get a brand new 60" SCAG ZT.  In fact I may pick one up next spring.  Most places will finance at 0% anyways.

You get something that isn't enough and you'll regret it every week.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been looking at a Scag Tiger Cat, Hustler X One, and Gravely 260. I was willing to spend up to $10K for a ZTR.
This will be the last mower mower I hope to ever buy. It's taking 3 hours to cut my 3 acres with my little 42" Craftsman, I wanted something faster.
Nice and flat but lots of trees.

Finally made it out and test drove a Scag Cheetah (Ferrari) and Gravely 460 (Mercedes Maybach), and Gravely 160 (Camry).
I didn't like the handling of the Scag at all. The 160 was OK but only had a 23hp motor compared to 33 on the 460.
With the larger hydro drives, air seat, and larger motor, plus the deal I got on the 460 with the Yamaha MX825 V-Twin EFI 33-horsepower engine, it was a no brainer.
Mower was delivered last night and I got the entire yard mowed in an hour. No sore back or anything.
It hurt to drop the $$$$$ on a mower but with savings in time and not getting beat to death bouncing around I have no regrets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been looking at a Scag Tiger Cat, Hustler X One, and Gravely 260. I was willing to spend up to $10K for a ZTR.
This will be the last mower mower I hope to ever buy. It's taking 3 hours to cut my 3 acres with my little 42" Craftsman, I wanted something faster.
Nice and flat but lots of trees.

Finally made it out and test drove a Scag Cheetah (Ferrari) and Gravely 460 (Mercedes Maybach), and Gravely 160 (Camry).
I didn't like the handling of the Scag at all. The 160 was OK but only had a 23hp motor compared to 33 on the 460.
With the larger hydro drives, air seat, and larger motor, plus the deal I got on the 460 with the Yamaha MX825 V-Twin EFI 33-horsepower engine, it was a no brainer.
Mower was delivered last night and I got the entire yard mowed in an hour. No sore back or anything.
It hurt to drop the $$$ on a mower but with savings in time and not getting beat to death bouncing around I have no regrets.
View Quote
Nice mower!  We did the same thing last fall with a Bad Boy Outlaw XP.  Went from 5 hours on the old cub cadet to 2 hours and 15 min.  Worth every penny!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Cain't BBQ a zero-turn. 

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#24]
If they had one big enough and gas powered........I could just see the carnage......I have a roomba and it gets in trouble all the time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I only need three of the biggest ones!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Back when I had 2 acres of grass to mow in NW Ohio, I farmed it out. I found a guy who did it at $75 a whack. Took him 30 minutes on his beast of a commercial mower. At that price, it takes a looooong time to break even on a $5-6k mower, when you're only using it 6-7 months out of the year and paying for gas, maintenance, etc. 

View Quote
I did consider that, but we have a longer growing season, and I have more yard.  I'd be able to buy a new $5k mower every 2-3 years for the cost.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the Cub Cadet ZT1 50 LT, I love it and only cut 1 acre.  The fuel tank at 3 gallons is large enough that I fill it only twice a summer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wait till fall if possible, better deals when the grass is not growing.
View Quote
this...a bunch of guys that was gonna get rich will be selling mowers just to break even
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#30]
You can find a Kubota BX1500/1800 for the $5000 range. Diesel with pto and hitch and will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can find a Kubota BX1500/1800 for the $5000 range. Diesel with pto and hitch and will last a lifetime.
View Quote
I like that line of thinking. I was trying to justify buying one with belly mower, backhoe and bucket for my 1.25 acre lot. Ended up with a Gravely ZT HD.

And as others said, do not buy a residential grade ZT.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can find a Kubota BX1500/1800 Diesel with pto and hitch and will last a lifetime.
View Quote
That's what I did.

My property would not accommodate a zero turn.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I was in the same boat 8 years ago bought a place with 4 acres. Ended up with a Bobcat FastCat pro 61" for ~ $5.5k new. Has been a workhorse no issues ~666 hours now and that's with only 1 service & hydro change during that time. 61" deck makes a previous 5-6 hour task down to 2 hours. (tons of tree's, pond & creek to cut around and sometime slide into )

http://www.bobcatturf.com/products/fastcat-pro/

I'd highly recommend one if there's a dealer that carry's them around you. I looked at the exmarks & skagg's but in this class (61" deck) they were 2-3k more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have four acres I mow with a tractor and rear finish mower...  it kinda sucks but I just gradually mowed less and less of it every year.  

I know a ZTR would be better but the front end loader and blade to clear the driveway is really nice to have.
View Quote
Buy both..
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I stopped by the local dealer I have used before and like.  They sell Scag and Exmark.  The Scag Freedom fit like a glove when I sat on it. The Liberty felt too small.  The Exmark Quest S was actually a better fit than the Radius E, but I think the Radius probably just needed some seat/lever adjustment.  The Exmarks put you up higher, and I'm not sure I liked that as much.

I've read some people say they prefer the Exmark for comfort and handling, but they feel the Scag clogs much less.

I have officially entered paralysis by analysis.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buy both..
View Quote
This 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I stopped by the local dealer I have used before and like.  They sell Scag and Exmark.  The Scag Freedom fit like a glove when I sat on it. The Liberty felt too small.  The Exmark Quest S was actually a better fit than the Radius E, but I think the Radius probably just needed some seat/lever adjustment.  The Exmarks put you up higher, and I'm not sure I liked that as much.

I've read some people say they prefer the Exmark for comfort and handling, but they feel the Scag clogs much less.

View Quote
Get to mowing. We need a benchmark so we can take bets when you get your new one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Get to mowing. We need a benchmark so we can take bets when you get your new one.
View Quote
We close on the new place Sept 15th.  Then I shall mow.  

I wish there was a Gravely dealer nearby.  Their prices seem better compared to Scag and Exmark.  But the closest one is 30 miles away, and the Scag/Exmark dealer is 2 miles at most.  I figure having the dealer close is worth something, and this dealer is well-regarded.

So there is a good chance I will be getting one of those two brands.

How do they compare for ease of maintenance and engine quality?  The Scag has a Kohler engine, and the Exmark's engine is just badged Exmark.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Admiral....  Take a look at this...
Good Article on Choosing a 2017 ZTR
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Exmark Quest is a Toro Timecutter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Scag with the Kohler if you must go new. If you can find a used 60'' Turf Tiger/Cheetah/Tiger Cat in your budget, that would be best, IMO. The Big Dog/Hustler commercial mowers are great for the money also. 

And always remember to negotiate! There is always room. Make an offer, let them decline then leave. They'll call and counter at least.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
2 previous houses with 100x100 lots got farmed out, drank beer while happy writing that check every month. I didn't even own a mower for 8 years. New house has 6.5 acres and would be 175-220$ every 2 weeks, for 9 months out of the year.  Bought a used Huster Fastrak SD 60 and can be done in 2.5 hours.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Prices for used mowers on Craigslist seem significantly lower than new, but I'm not sure I'm familiar enough to always recognize a serious issue, abuse, or wear.  I'd need to take a mechanic friend along or something.  Ive always been leery about buying things used.  I don't like not knowing something's history.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#44]
SCAG Patriot, 0% for 48 mos, call it a day.  It'll give you 20 years of service.

You buy something on CL and you roll the dice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm now also considering the Ferris IS600Z and IS700Z.  They have beefier hydros, and I like the suspension system. But the 600 is limited to a 48" cut.  
I'd have to step up to the 700 to get 52" or 60".  Not sure I want to pay that much.

I liked the Exmark Radius E, but the control bars were close in, and they hit my knees even on the highest position.  I saw a Youtube video of someone tall complaining about the same thing.  Said he can't operate the deck lift pedal while driving, at least not without contorting, because he can't raise his foot.  It's like they just didn't make them very compatible with big&tall folks.  I will discuss this with the sales person at the dealership the next time I'm there.  Maybe an aftermarket solution?

The Scag Freedom was very comfortable to sit on.  I have heard some people say they can make for a rough ride.  The current homeowner has a Scag.  Not sure of the model.

My FIL has a Cub Cadet ZT with a steering wheel, and he loves it.  Not sure which model he has.  Likely from a box store, but they do make higher-end units.  There just isn't a dealer nearby other than the box stores.

So based on dealers being nearby, if I go new, it's down to the Scag Freedom, the Exmark Radius E, and the Ferris IS600/700.
Don't think I want to roll those dice on Craigslist....

I think I'm going to take the advice given above and make do with my current mower until this growing season is over, and then see if I can get a better price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How long does it take you to mow?
View Quote
About 1.5-2 hours depending on whether I use the string trimmer or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Get the biggest Ferris available within your budget. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Lots of good advice here but definitely consider your dealer in area.  Go check a few out, talk to the parts guys, see how much they charge to come an get a machine (if you don't have a truck and trailer). if you are down to hustler  scag and ferris which ever dealer is better is the better choice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top