BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Yea though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil!

Thank you, Dear Brother in Christ!

Eric The(TwiceBorn)Hun

God is good.

Heal up quick.

This year I'm gonna try my darndest to make either Campys Bulletfest or a Hun Farm shoot (if'fn you'll have me ) and we can meet finally. Sometime before heaven anyway.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How is ANY of this 'new' revelations????

It ain't new.

Then why does that word appear in the title of this thread?

Of course, some of us are mere wordsmiths who chafe at the misuse of language.

Its the same old inconvenient truth you can't handle.

If the targeting was deliberate, which I deny without any qualification, why do you think I couldn't 'handle' it?

I would handle it just as well as I have already handled the falacious, but calculated 'Gulf of Tonkin Incident' that set up our active massive military participation in a disastrous and ill-handled 10,000 Day War in Vietnam!

At what cost?

56,000+ dead American servicemen?

That we can forgive the Johnson Administration and the 'Best and Brightest' of the Ivy League schools for involving us in, but not Israel for the deaths of 34 US sailors and American personnel?

Nope.

There's something more behind the anti-Israel sentiment than the deaths of 34 US sailors and American personnel.

Otherwise, you would be taking annual visits to Austin, Texas, and taking an anniversary shiiite on the grave of President Lyndon B. Johnson!

I mean, IF you believe that President Johnson caused the deaths of 56,000 American servicemen and women.

Eric The(Honest)Hun

I would, but I can't afford the gas.

CW
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How is ANY of this 'new' revelations????

It ain't new.

Then why does that word appear in the title of this thread?

Of course, some of us are mere wordsmiths who chafe at the misuse of language.

Its the same old inconvenient truth you can't handle.

If the targeting was deliberate, which I deny without any qualification, why do you think I couldn't 'handle' it?

I would handle it just as well as I have already handled the falacious, but calculated 'Gulf of Tonkin Incident' that set up our active massive military participation in a disastrous and ill-handled 10,000 Day War in Vietnam!

At what cost?

56,000+ dead American servicemen?

That we can forgive the Johnson Administration and the 'Best and Brightest' of the Ivy League schools for involving us in, but not Israel for the deaths of 34 US sailors and American personnel?

Nope.

There's something more behind the anti-Israel sentiment than the deaths of 34 US sailors and American personnel.

Otherwise, you would be taking annual visits to Austin, Texas, and taking an anniversary shiiite on the grave of President Lyndon B. Johnson!

I mean, IF you believe that President Johnson caused the deaths of 56,000 American servicemen and women.

Eric The(Honest)Hun

I would, but I can't afford the gas.

CW

FedEx, dude.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
someone page 5subslr5 while i go crack open the rum...trail mix, anyone?

Spotting the 'bat light' in the sky, I came immediately !!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those of you here who kiss the ass of Israel each and every day, I offer a few facts:

1)  To the government of Israel, a dead American Sailor or Marine was only worth $100,000.
2)  To the government of Israel, a wounded American Sailor or Marine was only worth $20,000.

The government of Israel only paid anything after the families retained private attorneys (read it cost the families a portion of the fucking 'generous' Israeli settlement).

The government of Israel was so proud of their motor torpedo boats who attacked the USS Liberty that the wheel from one of the MTB's is displayed in the Israeli Naval Museum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot begin to tell you about the Sailors and Marines who were killed and wounded.  But I can say -  so far as the enlisted ranks - these WERE the BEST and the BRIGHTEST the Navy (including the Marines) could offer.  Probaly something less than 700 with their 'special' qualifications existed in the entire Navy.

Nothing will ever be done.  No one gives a fuck.  So you folks continue to kiss Israeli ass and I'll continue to hate the various governments of Israel until the moment I die.

5sub
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I cannot begin to tell you about the Sailors and Marines who were killed and wounded.  But I can say -  far as the enlisted ranks - these WERE the BEST and the BRIGHTEST the Navy (including the Marines) could offer.  Probaly something less than 700 with their 'special' qualifications existed in the entire Navy.

5sub

The Israeli posteriors kissers need to read James Emmis book Assualt on the Liberty.

They OWE their countrymen that much.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For Christ's SAKE, who the fuck CARES about this now?
It was FORTY FUCKING YEARS AGO!  
?

[sarcasm]Yer right.

Anything more than 40 years ago is irrelevant.

Like our soldiers at D-Day.

The Constitution.

Tha Magna Carta[/sarcasm]

Thos who don't BOTH learn AND remember teh lessons of history are DOOMED to repeat them.

What utter bullshit.  As if an attack ordered by a government that is no longer in power against an administration no longer in power under totally different circumstances than today compares at all to a set of principles set down as a guide for government.  Try comparing apples to apples willya?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What utter bullshit.  As if an attack ordered by a government that is no longer in power against an administration no longer in power under totally different circumstances than today compares at all to a set of principles set down as a guide for government.  Try comparing apples to apples willya?

ALl teh FF are DEAD.  King George is DEAD. Both gov'ts LONG gone.

Circumstances are totally different today that in 1778.

Dude - yer off your game.

Which is illustrated by your IMMEDIATE resorting to profanity.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ALl teh FF are DEAD.  King George is DEAD. Both gov'ts LONG gone.

Circumstances are totally different today that in 1778.

Dude - yer off your game.

Which is illustrated by your IMMEDIATE resorting to profanity.

No, it's simply me calling a spade a spade.  YOU'RE the one who's off his game:  you're the one making lame comparisons that scream "bullshit!' without me having to say a word.
The IDEAS and PRINCIPLES set down by the Founding Fathers and by King JOHN (not George) are what live on.  No ideas or principles were established by the Liberty incident and your comparison is, as has been said, utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my soon to be subjects.

Oh yeah, it was an accident, the captain said so under oath, and I believe him.

McGonagle recanted that statement on his deathbed.

WHen he figgered out he would soon be dead from cancer, the lies his gov't required him to tell seemed less important than the truth.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No, it's simply me calling a spade a spade.  YOU'RE the one who's off his game:  you're the one making lame comparisons that scream "bullshit!' without me having to say a word.
....and your comparison is, as has been said, utter bullshit.

Methinks thou doest protest too loudly.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A 'tragic mistake' is something that no parent wants to believe about the death of a child, that no comrade wants to believe about the death of another.

But it happens.

Such is the 'fog of war.'

PLEEEEEEEAASEEEE!!!

It was a bright and sunny day, calm seas, miles from ANY battles., on a clearly marked and ensigned US intelligence ship.

Greater fog of war exists at most Baptist churches budget meetings.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Post from garandman -

McGonagle recanted that statement on his deathbed.

With all due respect, that is absolutely not what has been reported!

Then why say it yourself?

Eric The(Perplexed)Hun

CUs that's what his officer, James Ennis, said.

Ennis was there. You and I weren't my friend.

I got a signed copy of Ennis book. A prized possession, along with my signed copy of We Were Soldiers  (Hal Moore)  and Band of Brothers (DIck Winters).

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Of course, I am always inclined to believe US Naval officers.

YMMV.

Eric The(Honest)Hun

That's great.

Read James Ennis.

Even the History Channel account of the event records MANY who wre there were quite sure it was intentional.

Or read here.....www.ussliberty.com/

THe site describes the attack as a war crime.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
It worked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....and your comparison is, as has been said, utter bullshit.

Methinks thou doest protest too loudly.

Methinks you say this because you have no rational counterargument.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It worked.

Its kinda like a class reunion.

Where re-living the good old days just ain't as good as the good old days.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It worked.

What worked?

To reopen old wounds between two allied Judeo-Christian nations that are now poised in a life or death struggle against the same common enemy?

How sweet! How special! How gauche!

No, uncle Hun, I just wanted to see you post again.

This was the surest way.

Why else put the title in boldface and mention the USS Liberty in it? Hmmmmm?

Like Garandman said, what we have here is an ol' fashioned reunion!

Who brought the pie??

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Go, try to gather more wheat from thistles!

heh heh

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Excerpted:

The defenseless LIBERTY radioed for help. Two aircraft carriers in the Med responded by launching fighter aircraft. Unbelievably, they were recalled by the White House. RADM Geis, then commanding the carriers in the Sixth Fleet, called Washington personally to confirm the order. SecDef McNamara came on the line, then President Johnson. Johnson indicated to Geis that the aircraft were to be returned, that he would not have his allies embarrassed, and that he didn't care who was killed or what was done to the ship. Geis, like any good sailor, recalled the aircraft.

(If you have RealAudio, and click on the picture of CDR Dave Lewis at the right, you will HEAR Dave tell about his conversation with Admiral Geis.)

With no help forthcoming, the LIBERTY fell an easy victim to Israel's motor torpedo boat attack. FIVE torpedoes were lobbed at the Liberty, one hit amidships and instantly killed 25 sailors. A total of 34 died in the attack, 172 were injured.

The torpedo boats came within 50 feet of the ship, couldn't see the American flag on the mast, couldn't see the words "USS LIBERTY" on the stern, couldn't see "GTR-5" in 6 1/2 foot letters on the bow. The boats shot at American sailors on the deck of the Liberty as the sailors tried to help one another. As life rafts were put in the water by Liberty sailors in preparation for abandoning the ship, the boats shot them up. One boat pulled one out of the water and took it on board. Didn't see the words "U. S. NAVY" stenciled on it. The boats left the scene, apparently when they got erroneous word that the carriers had sent fighters to help the Liberty.

More at: The Attack on the USS Liberty

Yup...that'd be it all right.  I served with two ex-Liberty sailors during my career.  Both echo your post.  One now runs their web site and lives in Norfolk.

Shame on US for not telling the truth and paying those brave Cold Warriors the respect they all deserve.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Excerpted:

The defenseless LIBERTY radioed for help. Two aircraft carriers in the Med responded by launching fighter aircraft. Unbelievably, they were recalled by the White House. RADM Geis, then commanding the carriers in the Sixth Fleet, called Washington personally to confirm the order. SecDef McNamara came on the line, then President Johnson. Johnson indicated to Geis that the aircraft were to be returned, that he would not have his allies embarrassed, and that he didn't care who was killed or what was done to the ship. Geis, like any good sailor, recalled the aircraft.

(If you have RealAudio, and click on the picture of CDR Dave Lewis at the right, you will HEAR Dave tell about his conversation with Admiral Geis.)

With no help forthcoming, the LIBERTY fell an easy victim to Israel's motor torpedo boat attack. FIVE torpedoes were lobbed at the Liberty, one hit amidships and instantly killed 25 sailors. A total of 34 died in the attack, 172 were injured.

The torpedo boats came within 50 feet of the ship, couldn't see the American flag on the mast, couldn't see the words "USS LIBERTY" on the stern, couldn't see "GTR-5" in 6 1/2 foot letters on the bow. The boats shot at American sailors on the deck of the Liberty as the sailors tried to help one another. As life rafts were put in the water by Liberty sailors in preparation for abandoning the ship, the boats shot them up. One boat pulled one out of the water and took it on board. Didn't see the words "U. S. NAVY" stenciled on it. The boats left the scene, apparently when they got erroneous word that the carriers had sent fighters to help the Liberty.

Yup...that'd be it all right.  I served with two ex-Liberty sailors during my career.  Both echo your post.  One now runs their web site and lives in Norfolk.

Shame on US for not telling the truth and paying those brave Cold Warriors the respect they all deserve.

i doubt that either happened to mention why the Liberty was there in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sorry, my friend.

It's the pain medicine. And the pain.

It's destroying my sense of the absurd.

And there's nothing more absurd than an Old Hun, sitting in a dimly lit bedroom, nursing old grudges, and not even thinking about the subject of pie!

Pie?

<shudder>

Eric The(CelebateForASeason...AVeryLongSeason)Hun

Cheer up, old friend. There's nothing like having the Liberty to enjoy some pie.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Go here to see a heavily photoshopped pic.  Damage and rust are photochopped, there is a motorboat shadow on the side of the ship but the boat that created the shadow is gone, and the helo is a frigging Blackhawk.  This happened in 1967....sorry, no Hawks in service.

www.ussliberty.org/g/lg/lgwalsh06.jpg

Stuff like that doesn't help the cause.  I agree the whole thing stinks, but why make up stuff to support it?

Edited to add: the shadow is a gangway.  It also appears they colorized a black and white photo.

THAT IS NOT A FUCKING BLACKHAWK!!!  That helo is a Kaman SH-2F Seasprite bird, off of either a carrier or one of the frigates or single-ender cruisers in the 6th Fleet.  It happens to be this bird:

It is also NOT photoshopped.  That is an accurate pic of Liberty.  When that photo was taken there were about 33 men entomned in her forward hold where the torpedo hit.

Just for the record, I made at least four deployments with these helos and one was on my ship for about a two years in the late '80s before we got the mods to accept the SH-60B Seahawks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Some are unconvinced by eye witness accounts.

They prefer Israeli politicians accounts.

Oh well, takes all  kinds for the world to go round.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
is it really possible to mistake a usn spy ship for an egyptian freighter?

what was the weather like that day and the distances between the various watercraft, helos and jets?

Shit happens.

Sorry to seem flippant about it, but that is probably as close to the truth as we are gonna get here.

Is it really possible to mistake a civilian airliner for a fighter jet?  That has happened too.  Twice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Shit happens.

Sorry to seem flippant about it,

Flippant??

No, more like Assholish.  (is that a word?)

Wait till its YOUR loved one who gets killed by a deliberate attack by a "freindly" nation.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For Christ's SAKE, who the fuck CARES about this now?
It was FORTY FUCKING YEARS AGO!  
?

[sarcasm]Yer right.

Anything more than 40 years ago is irrelevant.

Like our soldiers at D-Day.

The Constitution.

Tha Magna Carta[/sarcasm]

Thos who don't BOTH learn AND remember teh lessons of history are DOOMED to repeat them.

+1

We always catch spies from all our true good friends and allies right?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, it was an accident, the captain said so under oath, and I believe him.

Yeah and Bill Clinton who was a President also told the truth.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Excerpted:

i doubt that either happened to mention why the Liberty was there in the first place.

Actually one did.  The first Liberty sailor I with whom I served was a second class PO (E-5).  IIRC, It was in 1969 and he reported aboard my ship.  He refused to disuss any details EXCEPT to state that he absolutely knew for certain that the attack had been deliberate and that the Israelis knew full well who they were attacking.  Since he was THERE topside and could see the action first hand, I have little reason to doubt.  How many of you can say that?

The second man was like me an officer.  He too was topside and witnessed the entire attack.  He was badly wounded, but remained able to function.  IIRC, we last spoke about eight years ago.  He told me that Liberty was in fact spying on ALL of the combatants then engaged in the Six Day War:  BOTH the Israelis and the Arab members of the United Arab Republic, the political union of Syria & Egypt.  Again, there was NO doubt in his mind about what happened and how the Israelis attacked knowing who they were attacking.  Now...my brother officer does understand that the attack was an act of Realpolotik.  What galls him and many of us old Cold Warriors is the refusal of OUR government to tell the truth.

Given the world situation now, that is unlikely to happen in my lifetime.  Should the Middle East ever become a peaceful, idyllic playground, where Jew and Arab and Christian live cheek by jowl in peace and harmony...then I believe we might just get those records released.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
BTW...Hey HUN!

Get well soon and don't get your skivvies in a bunch over any of this!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW...Hey HUN!

Yes, my dear friend?

Get well soon and don't get your skivvies in a bunch over any of this!

My skivvies, I will have you know, are thoroughly and carefully ironed and laid out on the dresser for such time as I feel  like putting them on!

Which, judging by the tenderness of my amidships, might be many fortnights hence!

Yes. And I am a shaved man, I tell you! A shaved man!

And not a damn Penthouse Forum story to share with y'all about how it got done!

I haven't a clue!

Eric The(GutlessWonder)Hun

Did they give you good drugs man?  After my last operation, my sawbones gave me some Oxycontin...and THAT stuff, at 40mg, REALLY knocked me OUT!  Hope you're not in pain.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I had some really good sh*t after my reconstructive knee surgery. Wow. Felt like I was starring in "The Outer Limits" while on that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why would the israelis attack our ship?

Do not attempt to hold your breath while awaiting an answer to your question, my friend, for you will likely go into asphyxiation before anyone can find a plausible explanation.

It's been, lo, these many years, and none have been forthcoming!

Eric The(Patient)Hun

The most plausible story I heard was that the USS Liberty was intercepting Israeli SIGINT and providing it to the Egyptians.  The Israelies knew, and so attacked the ship.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The most plausible story I heard was that the USS Liberty was intercepting Israeli SIGINT and providing it to the Egyptians.  The Israelies knew, and so attacked the ship.

well if thats the case then the Isrealis would have been our enemy then wouldn't they?  So what side are you going to choose?  Our ally in Isreal or the United States?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shit happens.

Sorry to seem flippant about it,

Flippant??

No, more like Assholish.  (is that a word?)

Wait till its YOUR loved one who gets killed by a deliberate attack by a "freindly" nation.

Thinly veiled personal attack.

BTW: I have lost friends in stupid accidents but I don't get overly emotional about it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top