Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
My sons trainer, a former Russian trainer in Phoenix, taught him to dead lift. It is a lift using mostly your legs, accelerating the bar upward with your legs, and then catching the bar at the top. It is a very fast lift and the guy in the YouTube video will destroy his back lifting like that. Your legs are the key, not your back.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My sons trainer, a former Russian trainer in Phoenix, taught him to dead lift. It is a lift using mostly your legs, accelerating the bar upward with your legs, and then catching the bar at the top. It is a very fast lift and the guy in the YouTube video will destroy his back lifting like that. Your legs are the key, not your back.

Uh, no. First you are talking about the clean, not the dead lift, and both involve both the posterior back muscles and legs.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That will fuck your joints and spine.  So, uhm, not that great an idea.

Just saying.

Youre saying you have no fucking clue what you are talking about
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome job man, keep it up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

congratulations

do you even run

Or is the op the guy that slaps the girlfriends butt at the beach?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're thinking of the clean/power clean, not the deadlift.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I love GD weight training threads.  

Good job on the PR
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congrats on the PR op! Just out of curiosity are you doing conventional DLs or some other variant?

Combination bar and dumb bell dead lift. It's the cool thing to do right now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just saying.

Oh, for fucks sake...you can't be serious?  

I'm 45 y/o and have been lifting since I was 15 y/o.  I continue to to set new PRs a few times a year in most major lifts.  I hit a 485lb deadlift in May and...no joint issues related to deadlifting whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it's the video I posted that was in jest. I thought fo sho that guy was going to snap his shit up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
If shipping wasn't prohibitive I almost want to go out and buy you some more weights.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Curious as to why the weights are so high off the ground.  Are your knees even at a 90 degree bend with the weights so high?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying.

You don't know what you are talking about.  

Since I started doing strong lifts 5x5 my spine and joints have been kicking ass.

Absolutely, I went from constantly having back pain...started working out, specifically lower back and whalla no back pain for years now, well unless i get a slight pull. 315 3x's has been my personal best, however Ive lost the strength. Im trying to get back to that these days.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Curious as to why the weights are so high off the ground.  Are your knees even at a 90 degree bend with the weights so high?

The stands put the bar at about the same height as an Olympic set up with 45lb plates.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably more equivalent to a straight leg dead lift, which is still a good lift.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

x2 on the lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine's 45 pounds.  I try not to push myself, or people, or move things, or pick things up, or open car doors.

Do you even li.... ah, nm.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

x2 on the lol

Seriously, some of you guys sound like liberal soccer moms talking about gun control.

ETA:  OP, congrats on the PR.  Maybe its time to sell some guns and invest the proceeds in some new equipment.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

x2 on the lol

Seriously, some of you guys sound like liberal soccer moms talking about gun control.

Soccer moms eh? Got any pics?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My knees are never at 90* during any part of the dead lift
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

x2 on the lol

Yeah.  

CrossFit BOD pic thread

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying.

Properly executed deadlifts are probably the single most beneficial weight exercise you can do for yourself, regardless of fitness level or goals.

Improperly executed deadlifts, on the other hand...

yup this happened to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq82nYPUeo

now that wasnt me in the video, but my situation was 100% identical, from the grip type to the visible snap to completing the lift to the confused "wtf just happened" look afterwards.  it felt and sounded like a huge rubber band stretching then snapping inside my arm.  its been over a year and i still havent done deads.  i still cringe a bit doing shrugs
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#24]
good job...now look for 318!!!!

You can do it bud.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Good lift.

I am slowly working weight back up after an injury.  My PR was 210#, 5 reps before I got hurt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You can do it bud.

I would need 25lb dumb bells for that I only have a set of 20s and 30s.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Are those kilos? That looks like a hell of a lot more than 308lb.

ETA: Last year I pulled 465 once at my current peak of strength. I later hurt my shoulder helping my sister move and now I'm back under 400. I pulled 365 yesterday after a few other singles. I could probably get 385 fresh...

Moral of the story: don't help anyone do anything. Just fucking lift.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good lift.

I am slowly working weight back up after an injury.  My PR was 210#, 5 reps before I got hurt.

how did you get hurt
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good lift.

how did you get hurt

I was lifting 285 on the USS Harpers Ferry when we hit a rogue wave and I ended up getting 2 slipped discs in my back.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Keep it up. Somewhat sharing the same name, I would think you could lift more

Looks like you need a better set of weights though. Keep doing what you are doing until you can.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Shit OP, my little sister deadlifts 292, squats 242, and bench presses 143.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shit OP, my little sister deadlifts 292, squats 242, and bench presses 143.  

Cool story bro. I think your post is missing something....
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#33]
That's a cool pic of weights sitting on the ground.

Video, or GTFO..................bro.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

x2 on the lol

Yeah.  

CrossFit BOD pic thread

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do it bud.

CRAIGSLIST MUTHAFUCKA!!!!!!!!!!  

You can find an olympic set all the time on there, and plates, even better, look for a gym that's upgrading or liquidating their equipment.

If you've got a power rack, a bench, a bar and enough plates to get to 405, you can do anything you need to do.

I pretty much had that exact setup a few years ago and had my own gym in my garage...was awesome, had to sell it when we moved years ago, and while I love the gym I'm at now, it's not the same as my 'dungeon'.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just saying.

"Just saying" what? That you're full of shit?
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Awesome and congrats on the PR.  

I hit a new personal best on deads today as well and am pretty happy about it.

What'd you get, Mr. SlowAndTwitchy? 625?
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying.

Properly executed deadlifts are probably the single most beneficial weight exercise you can do for yourself, regardless of fitness level or goals.

Improperly executed deadlifts, on the other hand...

Exactly true. I hear people say all the time that dead lifts are bad for you and it's fucking bullshit, usually spouted off by weak ass guys who wouldn't dare touch a bar loaded with 3-400 pounds. On top of literally training every muscle in your body simultaneously, deads increase testosterone production. Please show me the downside.

OP, good lift! Once you get over 300, you will really start seeing a change in your body as well as strength in your other lifts. My traps and middle back started growing like crazy when I got 315 for reps. I'm shooting for 405 for sets of 5-6 as my next goal. Gonna take awhile..... Keep up the good work brother
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying.

You don't know what you are talking about.  

Since I started doing strong lifts 5x5 my spine and joints have been kicking ass.

wait 20 years  

So he can be deadliftin a 747?
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I just started working out again after a 2 year hiatus. Was a monetary issue. Picked up some dumbbells and am slowly getting back into it. No bench yet, but soon.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do it bud.

CRAIGSLIST MUTHAFUCKA!!!!!!!!!!    

You can find an olympic set all the time on there, and plates, even better, look for a gym that's upgrading or liquidating their equipment.

If you've got a power rack, a bench, a bar and enough plates to get to 405, you can do anything you need to do.

I pretty much had that exact setup a few years ago and had my own gym in my garage...was awesome, had to sell it when we moved years ago, and while I love the gym I'm at now, it's not the same as my 'dungeon'.

Every time I save up enough money to get an Olympic set up I buy a gun instead
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Mine's 45 pounds.  I try not to push myself, or people, or move things, or pick things up, or open car doors.

someday im'a meet you in person.. (probably at a RP during the revolution)  .. and when I do remind me to punch you in the dick for making me spit multiple types of fluids out my nose.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#43]
congrats OP..  i know it feels good..  

but I will leave this right here to make you dig deeper next time and lift THAT FUCKING WEIGHT

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

x2 on the lol

Yeah.  

CrossFit BOD pic thread

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1013667_472883239466682_1741213507_n.jpg

"Well you two boys can just fuck right off."-sweet little old lady on Orgazmo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

congrats OP..  i know it feels good..  

but I will leave this right here to make you dig deeper next time and lift THAT FUCKING WEIGHT

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#46]
OP, how much you weigh?

Also, what in the hell kind of bar is that? Looks long as hell. But good job doing what you can with what you have.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Exactly true. I hear people say all the time that dead lifts are bad for you and it's fucking bullshit, usually spouted off by weak ass guys who wouldn't dare touch a bar loaded with 3-400 pounds. On top of literally training every muscle in your body simultaneously, deads increase testosterone production. Please show me the downside.

OP, good lift! Once you get over 300, you will really start seeing a change in your body as well as strength in your other lifts. My traps and middle back started growing like crazy when I got 315 for reps. I'm shooting for 405 for sets of 5-6 as my next goal. Gonna take awhile..... Keep up the good work brother

I started lifting in Feb '12, broke the 315 DL barrier back Feb this year; looking forward to doing 2x my weight (185x2 = 370) before the end of the year.  FWIW, I'm 57, totally fucked my back in '80 and have been dealing with it ever since.  Squats & DLs are helping keep things together.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome and congrats on the PR.  

I hit a new personal best on deads today as well and am pretty happy about it.

What'd you get, Mr. SlowAndTwitchy? 625?

No, not yet and I didn't exactly set it up for a max attempt, I was just feeling froggy at the end of my sets.  

135 for 10

225 for 10

315 for 10

405 for 4

455 for 1

Those were without a belt or wrist straps.

I know if I set it up for a max, I know I should be able to clear 500.  That's not much compared to some of you power lifting guys out there, but I'm having fun with it.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP, how much you weigh?

Also, what in the hell kind of bar is that? Looks long as hell. But good job doing what you can with what you have.

5'11" 205 (down from 220 when I realized I was fat). Its a 6 foot, one inch diameter bar.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to Google "dead lift" to understand WTH this thread's about....

So how often do you work out

I work out....lift and shit.

Won't do that shit though...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top