Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see the issue either. We've had ANPR (ALPR) gear in PoPo cars for some years here.  Personally I think they're great, the PoPo get all the bad guys who drive by and also when they're out an about cruising. Before ANPR in cars, they would do random stop and checks, and if you worked odd hours that was a PITA, now I don't get random pull-overs anymore.

We dont care what you have to say in this thread.

That would explain why you chose to take note of what I posted and comment on it…

We dont care if you guys like sucking big brother's dick.

Like I said, you claim don't care what I post, but just can't stop yourself…
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Knock it off-

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fail to see the privacy issue.  You have no expectation of privacy driving your licensed vehicle on public roads.  Displaying your license tag is a requirement for driving on said roads - just for this reason.  All this technology does is make enforcement more efficient.

Saying this violates some privacy thing is akin to an anti-gunner saying AR15s aren't covered by the 2d Amendment - solely because they weren't around when it was written.

An automated system that permanently records and correlates location and time data is vastly different than the normal display of a license plate and occasional observation (and very, very infrequent recording) of location and time data.

You carry ID on you (presumably).  Would it be OK if the ID were scannable––say, RFID?  And it were illegal to block the RFID signal, and illegal to travel without your ID?  And would it be OK if the government had a record of every doorway, elevator, and signpost you walked past, with location and time data recorded?

Your latter scenario has juts gone beyond public roads requiring licensing / registration for use, to the realm of all movement.  BIG difference.  Your former explanation is akin, again, the the gun grabbers saying only muskets are protected by the second.  Just as rights stay the same as technology advances, so do powers.

So then wouldnt it be easier to just put GPS in everyones car? That way they dont have to set up readers all over a city?

Now you are getting on questionable legal grounds.  This is nothing more than a camera and computer doing what cops have ALWAYS been allowed to do.  GPS is a world apart.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ANPR has been here for some time.

But I guess you guys already knew us subjects we being watched.....

Cheers

Taffy

You guys are at the leading edge of surveillance.  A camera on every corner, a camera on every cop car, a microphone on every trash bin. DO they have a camera on every toilet seat yet?

Actually, the camera/surviellance technology over here is usually American designed and made…

That may be true but you have to admit it is in much wider use across the pond.

True, but it's been noted by our various freedom/rights organization that an aweful lot of US companies are active in the surviellance field over here. Suspicious minds would come to the conclusion they were developing /refining the technology in a more 'permissive' legal framework before making the final and field proven product available on the domestic market.

I don't deny that. I don't like it one bit though. If they want to sell this stuff to other people who will put up with it I don't care. But when it is installed in my town I do care.

Well, lets be honest here. Them folks hardly sat down and thought to themselves, 'OK, this tech is cool, but lets only think about a small overseas market'… They would have had their eye on the main chance all along and the potential market in the US is huge!  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
as long as they assured us (the public they are spying on) that it wasn't "big brother" like behavior then i guess its OK.
  surly they would let us know when it was some kind of big brother shit. rite??
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait until they are mounted on light poles all over the city and they can track your movements so they can charge you your "fair share" of road usage tax, based on the mileage recored in their database.

I know this is a total tangent from the original posters point... this is a reply to  Ky_Bob

Taxation based on use and consumption makes sense in this case.  One's driving contributes to the wear and tear on roads whether you drive a mile or a thousand miles.  If you use more, why not pay more?  Electricity isn't flat rate.  Neither is water.  While it may not be quite the same as electricity, a road is a public good that is a finite resource.  Eventually it will have to be repaired and those repair funds will have to come from somewhere.  If you contribute to the degradation of a resource you should be charged an appropriate fee to provide for its maintenance.  Currently, this comes from the federal and state gasoline taxes.... the more you drive, the more gas you use, the more you pay.  This is not a new idea.

The problem with simultaneously promoting government regulations requiring increased fuel efficiency AND keeping the gasoline-tax for funding road repairs is that, Ceteris Paribus, revenues will drop and road repairs will suffer.

I'd be totally down for scrapping "value-based" ad-valorem taxes for vehicles.  Lets replace it with a system that bases your vehicle registration fee/taxes on 1.) Vehicle weight and your impact on road maintenance 2.) Engine size and your impact on air pollution, and 3.) Your miles driven in the last year.

I'm not a big fan of new taxes, hell, I don't like taxes at all.  But they are a necessary evil.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fail to see the privacy issue.  You have no expectation of privacy driving your licensed vehicle on public roads.  Displaying your license tag is a requirement for driving on said roads - just for this reason.  All this technology does is make enforcement more efficient.

Saying this violates some privacy thing is akin to an anti-gunner saying AR15s aren't covered by the 2d Amendment - solely because they weren't around when it was written.

An automated system that permanently records and correlates location and time data is vastly different than the normal display of a license plate and occasional observation (and very, very infrequent recording) of location and time data.

You carry ID on you (presumably).  Would it be OK if the ID were scannable––say, RFID?  And it were illegal to block the RFID signal, and illegal to travel without your ID?  And would it be OK if the government had a record of every doorway, elevator, and signpost you walked past, with location and time data recorded?

Your latter scenario has juts gone beyond public roads requiring licensing / registration for use, to the realm of all movement.  BIG difference.  Your former explanation is akin, again, the the gun grabbers saying only muskets are protected by the second.  Just as rights stay the same as technology advances, so do powers.

So then wouldnt it be easier to just put GPS in everyones car? That way they dont have to set up readers all over a city?

Now you are getting on questionable legal grounds.  This is nothing more than a camera and computer doing what cops have ALWAYS been allowed to do.  GPS is a world apart.

And there you have it.  Instead of cops driving around pulling people in for 'vehicle checks' or 'I thought you're driving was erratic' to do document checks to catch the occassional bad guy but annoying a lot of people going about their lawful occassions, now they get 100% hits on people with irregular documentation/warrants/no licence etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until they are mounted on light poles all over the city and they can track your movements so they can charge you your "fair share" of road usage tax, based on the mileage recorded in their database.

I know this is a total tangent from the original posters point... this is a reply to  Ky_Bob

Taxation based on use and consumption makes sense in this case.  One's driving contributes to the wear and tear on roads whether you drive a mile or a thousand miles.  If you use more, why not pay more?  Electricity isn't flat rate.  Neither is water.  While it may not be quite the same as electricity, a road is a public good that is a finite resource.  Eventually it will have to be repaired and those repair funds will have to come from somewhere.  If you contribute to the degradation of a resource you should be charged an appropriate fee to provide for its maintenance.  Currently, this comes from the federal and state gasoline taxes.... the more you drive, the more gas you use, the more you pay.  This is not a new idea.

The problem with simultaneously promoting government regulations requiring increased fuel efficiency AND keeping the gasoline-tax for funding road repairs is that, Ceteris Paribus, revenues will drop and road repairs will suffer.

I'd be totally down for scrapping "value-based" ad-valorem taxes for vehicles.  Lets replace it with a system that bases your vehicle registration fee/taxes on 1.) Vehicle weight and your impact on road maintenance 2.) Engine size and your impact on air pollution, and 3.) Your miles driven in the last year.

I'm not a big fan of new taxes, hell, I don't like taxes at all.  But they are a necessary evil.

Fuel taxes are supposed to already take care of wear and tear on roadways. It is based on usage of gasoline. Why do they want to track miles you may ask? It is because the very regulations that forced the higher mileage vehicles has resulted in the decreased revenue on gasoline taxes. We are using less fuel to go farther. Gas prices are high and will get higher, so now they ant to tax not only the gas you buy but every mile you get out of that gallon of gas you have already paid taxes on. This is not a replacement tax, it is an add on tax.

Fuck that.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
This is also in use by repo dudes.

-Z
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Check my sig line
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
These systems have gotten a TON of stolen vehicles back to thier owners in my area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I get to work with some of this technology on occasion...

It's fucking scary....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I get to work with some of this technology on occasion...

It's fucking scary....

It is only scary in what people can make it do to their ends.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
We have one and I drive it occasionally, of course I'm in the auto theft unit, so that's what it's for. It has other capabilities, but the tin foil factor is high here. For starters, it takes a picture of the front of the car, and the driver is not visible; the top of the picture is below the windshield, so it snaps a picture of the car, NOT THE DRIVER. We have a PIPS/Federal Signal system, and it's comparable to others out there.

All it does is look for a license plate shaped object in it's field of vision and converts the picture into an alpha-numeric character set, then compares it to a database that we load into the computer. Because it's an official piece of equipment and takes pictures, we cannot legally delete the pictures because it's now a public record, and subject to public records laws. I think we have to keep the pictures for 5 years.

Our purpose for having this car is to find stolen cars, and it's worked well for that purpose. Because criminals also drive, we can search for known vehicles involved in felonies, amber alerts, etc.... There are static cameras at some major shipping ports to scan vehicles going in/out, scanning for stolens, cars on terrorist watch lists, etc... It can also be used 'after the fact' to check alibis and to search a specified area during a specified time frame. There are a lot of possibilities, but basically this system to remember where it saw a CAR, not a PERSON.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They got that in my town a few months ago. So far it has all been illegals that they seem to have gotten hits on. They all got stopped for driving without a licence, registration, and insurance.

Is that a bad thing?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see the issue either. We've had ANPR (ALPR) gear in PoPo cars for some years here.  Personally I think they're great, the PoPo get all the bad guys who drive by and also when they're out an about cruising. Before ANPR in cars, they would do random stop and checks, and if you worked odd hours that was a PITA, now I don't get random pull-overs anymore.

We dont care what you have to say in this thread.

who are you?
The ARF union rep?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Those of you with dreams of "revolution" would do well to take note of just how much technology you'd be up against.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until they are mounted on light poles all over the city and they can track your movements so they can charge you your "fair share" of road usage tax, based on the mileage recored in their database.

They do this in London now, as part of a "smog/ congestion tax".  If you drive your car 2 inches into the zone you are electronically charged a fee of 8£ per day.  

When is enough enough??

Aren't they also doing time to distance tickets in the UK?

Where they scan your license leaving London, then scan it again when you get to your destination.  You arrived in 45 minutes.  If you drove the speed limit, it should have taken 1 hour.

Here's your ticket in the mail!

nope

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great, All we have to do now is make sure the criminals are wearing their plates.

If the the JBTs put as much effort into catching violent criminals as they do harassing the motoring public, the world would be a safer place.

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those of you with dreams of "revolution" would do well to take note of just how much technology you'd be up against.

This technology is NOTHING.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to Orwell's 1984 -
have you seen the gunshot locator yet?
And yes, this is only the beginning of technology to be used against US citizens.
oh there's more, sonic crowd control, microwaves, FLIR, and more.............................get used to it, unless there's a total colapse w/ no fuel or elec. It's for the children, ofcourse............
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top