BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Anecdotal stories do not a rule make. There is nothing wrong with a properly applied spanking to correct the behavior of a child who is old enough to know better. In fact, it can be the most rapid and efficient behavior modifier available. You just have to use it as a teaching tool by explaining what they did wrong and end it by telling them that they are still loved as much as ever. Problems arise when you start spanking too late or are inconsistent in application.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They can write whatever article or study they want, but at the end of the day, they don't have to deal with the children.  Nothing offends me more than bullshit researchers conducting tests with a pre-defined result (who came up with the thinking skills test?  Why is it not posted with the article?) in order to tell real parents what they should do with their children.

It's your children.  You raise yours, I'll raise mine, and whatever damage or benefit that does, when they get out into the real world, they are on their own to overcome it or benefit from it.  My mother and father are not the cause of all my mistakes, and they don't get credit for all my successes...  they get credit for keeping me fed and sheltered, and that is enough.

These researchers can take their theories and shove them, waste of money and time and it is yet another representation of suburban surplus energy being channeled into telling other people what to do.  If these researchers want to help my family, they'll watch my kids for a night so my wife and I can get it on in peace, rather than telling me what some people said on a questionnaire and what the kids did on some BS test.

So, you beat one year olds?  This study is saying that spanking a kid before they are able to fully understand it does more harm than good.  I don't think that falls under the category of "totally BS made up by conspiracy scientists with an agenda".

Nice assumptions, I beat 1 year olds and I believe all studies are an actual deliberate conspiracy?  What will you do next, demonstrate that I am a racist and my firearms are all fully automatic weapons designed only for killing entire schoolyards full of children?

I said these researchers are wasting time and money and it is yet another representation of suburban surplus energy (they have nothing better to do than get private or gov grants to support another one of their useless hypotheses)...  not a deliberate conspiracy with an agenda.  And nowhere in my statement did I say ANYTHING about what I do.  And what business is it of yours anyway?  

And where did 'beating' come in?  The article is talking about spanking, 'beating' includes everything from tossing against walls to flat out punching in the face...  are you just trying some propaganda spin?  Is that like changing 'rifle' to 'high powered rifle?'

I spank my child, I didn't have any reason to spank the child until age 2.  Studies like this are used to support ongoing assertions that all spanking is wrong, and it's a waste of time.

And you have a great career in journalism ahead of you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I got whooped a lot when I was a kid.  I DID deserve it, looking back.  But low and behold... eventually I STOPPED doing the shit, because I realized that bad actions have reprecussions, and it was easier to avoid bad things by NOT doing bad things.

Kinda like how I live my life now...  

Learning that your actions have consequences is a BIG part of growing up.  Some people never seem to learn that.  When they get those consequences in the adult world, it becomes "Not fair".
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Spanking should be used very rarely.  When used it should be not too hard and with a stern verbal command and the message will get through.

In Nazi New Zealand you can't spank your kid.  What a sh*t hole country full of P*ssies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
We had a wood paddle hanging on the kitchen wall. It was adorned with the words, "Wolloper of warewolves, corraler of cowboys".

I deserved it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Eh, spanking worked too well for me.  I started hitting other people when they wrong things. Parents to switched to pulling privileges (I raced motocross and all they had to do was even say "no bike..." and they had my full and undivided attention). But I was a really well behaved kid anyways.

I plan on making my (future) kids do push ups.  "If you're going to be stupid you're going to have to be tough".
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I got spankings, beltings, switches and from time to time a fist to the mouth growing up. In fact all my friends did. Somehow all of us managed to turn out just fine.

I lost a friend a while back ago after I (politely) told him not to bring his demon spawn around my home with him anymore. He is a fan of the time out method. His child is an unholy terror. I spank when needed and my children behave.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really know how I feel about spanking a one year old.

Not a parent so I don't know if it's possible for a freaking one year old to grasp the punishment of a spanking much less be able to do ANYTHING that would deserve a spanking.

Now a two and three year old, maybe the threat alone would be enough combined with a little more reasoning ability?

As they grow up they will grow into discipline.   My dad had a "game" that I remember to this day vividly.   The game was called "wop it", when I started acting up my dad would look at me and simply ask me if I wanted to play "wop it" as in "whoop that butt."    Was usually enough for me to get the idea.

I am sure I'll play similar games with my kids once they get old enough to understand the concept of being able to choose/decide their fate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I stopped reading when they were talking about spanking a 1 year old. They can't even talk or really even comprehend much beyond "boobies" and you want them to know the did something wrong?

This.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They can write whatever article or study they want, but at the end of the day, they don't have to deal with the children.  Nothing offends me more than bullshit researchers conducting tests with a pre-defined result (who came up with the thinking skills test?  Why is it not posted with the article?) in order to tell real parents what they should do with their children.

It's your children.  You raise yours, I'll raise mine, and whatever damage or benefit that does, when they get out into the real world, they are on their own to overcome it or benefit from it.  My mother and father are not the cause of all my mistakes, and they don't get credit for all my successes...  they get credit for keeping me fed and sheltered, and that is enough.

These researchers can take their theories and shove them, waste of money and time and it is yet another representation of suburban surplus energy being channeled into telling other people what to do.  If these researchers want to help my family, they'll watch my kids for a night so my wife and I can get it on in peace, rather than telling me what some people said on a questionnaire and what the kids did on some BS test.

So, you beat one year olds?  This study is saying that spanking a kid before they are able to fully understand it does more harm than good.  I don't think that falls under the category of "totally BS made up by conspiracy scientists with an agenda".

See, you just lost because you used the word "beat". When you have nothing, you attempt to smear by using a word that "ups the ante" and is associated with child abuse. All children develop at different rates, what is acceptable punishment for one 2 year old might not be for another one. However, appropriate corporal punishment DOES work when applied properly by a parent that understands how to use correctly and not in anger.

And they deliberately skewed the results by choosing the least stable type of family, low income and probably a majority single parent. Nope, no bias there........................

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A new study of more than 2,500 toddlers from low-income families found that spanking may have detrimental effects on behavior and mental development.
 I'm not convinced spanking was the problem. Correlation <> causation.

Yep.  I'm thinking there's a lot of issues in those families already; they just focused on spanking because that's what their agenda was about.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice assumptions, I beat 1 year olds and I believe all studies are an actual deliberate conspiracy?  What will you do next, demonstrate that I am a racist and my firearms are all fully automatic weapons designed only for killing entire schoolyards full of children?

I said these researchers are wasting time and money and it is yet another representation of suburban surplus energy (they have nothing better to do than get private or gov grants to support another one of their useless hypotheses)...  not a deliberate conspiracy with an agenda.  And nowhere in my statement did I say ANYTHING about what I do.  And what business is it of yours anyway?  

And where did 'beating' come in?  The article is talking about spanking, 'beating' includes everything from tossing against walls to flat out punching in the face...  are you just trying some propaganda spin?  Is that like changing 'rifle' to 'high powered rifle?'

I spank my child, I didn't have any reason to spank the child until age 2.  Studies like this are used to support ongoing assertions that all spanking is wrong, and it's a waste of time.

Well, growing up we used to say soneone got "beat" if they got a spanking.  Not that their parents literally kicked the shit out of them.

Yet, you claim that it is a BS study with predetermined results.

So, you are agreeing with the study?

I really don't think it is a waste of time, especially if it proves that some things people are doing to their children may not be the best thing for their children. I'm not saying that anyone should force parents to behave in a certain way, but believe it or not parents aren't perfect, and perhaps more information for them is a good thing?  Shouldn't the parents in the study, who are spanking 1 year olds, at least be exposed to the possibility that it may not be the best thing for them to do to their child?

Oh, and bonus points for bringing guns and racisim into the discussion!  May as well run with it:

"The colt single action army is the best defensive handgun ever, anyone who tries to tell me otherwise is just wasting my time and has an agenda."
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife doesnt spank and the boys dont seem to listen to her, now when I say something it amazing how fast they do it.  And they dont do it out fear they respect me and know that when I say something it means something, like look both ways before crossing the street.

Also I would say children where much better behaved in the past when spanking was allowed in schools.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, you just lost because you used the word "beat". When you have nothing, you attempt to smear by using a word that "ups the ante" and is associated with child abuse. All children develop at different rates, what is acceptable punishment for one 2 year old might not be for another one. However, appropriate corporal punishment DOES work when applied properly by a parent that understands how to use correctly and not in anger.

And they deliberately skewed the results by choosing the least stable type of family, low income and probably a majority single parent. Nope, no bias there........................

Lol, maybe poor choice of wording but thats the term we used growing up "beat" = "spanking" not "total ass kicking".

My point is still valid.  The whole study is not invalid because some people are afraid its going to say that they can't spank their 8 year old.  I agree that the results would likely be different for different family types, but that still doesn't change the fact that the study does represent a significant portion of our population who use these methods for child dicipline, and they should at least be aware of their effectiveness.  

Of course, yeah, its just easier to say "that kid needs his but beat" (the b word again) or "my father spanked me and I turned out fine" than to actually look into the matter and see when such procedures work best and when they don't.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who the hell spanks a 1 year old?

There was a guy on the Steve Wilkos show that tried to justify spanking a 2 year old cause 'he stared me down'
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, growing up we used to say soneone got "beat" if they got a spanking.  Not that their parents literally kicked the shit out of them.

Yet, you claim that it is a BS study with predetermined results.

So, you are agreeing with the study?

I really don't think it is a waste of time, especially if it proves that some things people are doing to their children may not be the best thing for their children. I'm not saying that anyone should force parents to behave in a certain way, but believe it or not parents aren't perfect, and perhaps more information for them is a good thing?  Shouldn't the parents in the study, who are spanking 1 year olds, at least be exposed to the possibility that it may not be the best thing for them to do to their child?

Oh, and bonus points for bringing guns and racisim into the discussion!  May as well run with it:

"The colt single action army is the best defensive handgun ever, anyone who tries to tell me otherwise is just wasting my time and has an agenda."

Yes, but there was no such shared context for the word beating here, and using it left open a wide range of definitions.

Yes, a BS study with predetermined results is not a conspiracy, there is not some overriding Illuminati plan to control us all, it's just a general desire to tell other people they are doing it wrong.  

I can't agree with the study, I don't know what the test was, I can only say what I do, and I can't use that to make a determination on what other people should do.  It is a waste of time, because they could have just said "Spanking is bad, mmm'kay?" without totally bumbling through an absolutely unscientific process and calling it a study.  This is not science, it is simply a set of pre-determined conditions that allow people who already agree with it to say "See someone did a study."

They don't show the test, we don't know how many test results they threw out, we don't even know the difference in the scores.  We don't have the questionaire to see if the questions were leading, and, in point of fact...  the basis of whether the children were spanked or not was self-identification, not any kind of scientific observation.  But I do not believe it is part of an intentional conspiracy to control all people, it's just a result of people's desires to tell others what to do...  just like reality TV is not a conspiracy, it is a result of people's desires to see other people acting stupid.

I can't pick a best defensive handgun ever, I can only pick the one I will carry and like, what works for someone else is what works for them.

I can't tell other people how to raise their children...  they're not my children and it's not my life.

I brought racism and radically inaccurate gun portrayals into it as a hyperbole to demonstrate the mistakes of making assumptions about people, their actions or their reasoning.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Obviously, the person who wrote that should have had his ass beat as a kid, & now too!!

Agreed, he/she needs some head and shoulders, savagely applied.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
i condone ass whipping.

its how i was raised.

my grandmother on dads side was the worst, she'd whip you (dogwood switch), then if you wanted to bawl about it for more than a few minutes she'd salt any gashes to make you learn to stfu and take it like a man; the idea was that men admit failures, are accountable, and take their lumps like men. I miss her, stern though she was, she had a certain wisdom.

dad was never one to whip, he'd rather shoot over your head or between your feet to get your attention and then pistol whip ya if that didn't work, he'd try and fist fight you (withholding) after about age 12, to see if you had a fight back instinct...i remember being like 15, blocking an open handed slap that tore up his watch, and then stepping in to hit him...he stepped back, looked at me with the same pride he had when I'd win a boyscout badge, and said something to the effect of " by god...boy you are becoming a man; you are right to defend yourself, and its something i can't tell you to do...you did it on your own, and in defiance of my will, it is right to do, see how you are capable of making the right choice without my say so? I'm so proud, lets get you drunk and laid..."

Mom was hell, she'd slap or beat for little or no reason, usually for embarrassing her for not being the picture perfect well behaved norman rockwell child...and to this day insists that she is perfect, was a perfect child, never did or does wrong, and cannot make mistakes.

yes i condone ass whipping.

my own boys get ass whippings, usually after failure to reason with them for more than an hour. My wife is quicker to beat them than i am, and she was raised in a "normal" environment by baptist church matrons. I'll be explaining to my oldest boy, 7, why you shouldn't call people at walmart fat to their face, and the wife will cut me off "because i'll beat your ass and take your videogames for a week if you say something that causes your daddy to get arrested defending you...'
it makes me feel a little angry, as i want him to know the real reason why you should be humble and considerate, and its not because mamma will beat your ass...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#20]
From what I understand this is specifically applied to one year olds.  

They say it does not apply to 2 years olds.  Spank away from 24 months on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure I disagree. I have no problem with spanking. This article is specifally addressing spanking up to age 2, and was more focused on under age 1. I really don't see spanking such a young child as helpful. A child that young has limited cognitive and reasoning abilities. Now I can see somewhere between age 1 and 2 that kids will start to "get it". Age 2 and up feel free to whack away.

I'll agree with that. You can't physically reprimand a child who has no reasoning skills..

Bullshit.

You can train a dog, and a child has more reasoning skills that that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]

ETA    HOLY CRAP

Who in the fuck would spank a 1 year old???     That is just wrong

But a ten year old,,,,
Ghettos and prisons are full a people never disciplined by their daddy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My mother-in-law suggested to my wife that she take her finger and painfully flick our babies on the nose if they bit her while breastfeeding....  we're talking about infants a couple of months old.  

I love how whether it's lead, mercury, spankings, or anything else which may remotely harm someone, a bunch of people stand up and say "It never hurt me none!"  Then you take a look at that group of people....

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was growing up, I had to do something pretty awful to get spanked. So, in that respect, I turned out good because of it. I knew that if I got my level-headed parents mad enough to spank me, that I REALLY did something bad. So, I was rarely spanked, and turned out to be a good kid. It can be very good in moderation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can tell you first hand that is has had really bad repercussions for my kids......they do things like say "Sir" and "ma'am"....have been known to sit in class and listen to the teacher.......and get this-they are the highest achievers in their respective classes.

I think if this behavior continues I'll probably start medicating them.

Think a little spanking won't do much harm to kids? New research says the effects can be long-lasting.

Children are too young to understand when parenting behavior is wrong, a social psychologist says.

Experts say "popping" kids can do more harm than good. A new study of more than 2,500 toddlers from low-income families found that spanking may have detrimental effects on behavior and mental development.

"We're talking about infants and toddlers, and I think that just, cognitively, they just don't understand enough about right or wrong or punishment to benefit from being spanked," said Lisa Berlin, the study's lead author and research scientist at the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University.

Berlin and colleagues found that children who were spanked as 1-year-olds tended to behave more aggressively at age 2, and did not perform as well as other children on a test measuring thinking skills at age 3. The study is published in the journal Child Development.

Although these effects were somewhat small, the study is just the latest of many supporting psychologists' advice against spanking. Still, some experts say spanking has a time and place.

The new study focused on children from low-income families because prior research suggested that spanking is more common among them, Berlin said. This may be because of the added stresses of parenting in a low-income situation, or because of a "cultural contagion" of behaviors among people. For example, in some families this study examined, a grandmother would spank a child, or neighbors would encourage physical discipline, she said.

Her study found that about one-third of the 1-year-olds, and about half of the 2- and 3-year-olds, had been spanked in the previous week, according to mothers' self-reporting to the researchers. At all three ages, African-American children were spanked significantly more frequently than those from white and Mexican-American families, and verbally punished more than the other children at ages 2 and 3, the study said.

Don't Miss
Enforcing bedtimes improves kids' health
Mama wasn't always That's why psychologists trained parents to use spanking that way for 25 years [from the] late '60s to mid-'90s," he said. Now, the trend of advice is away from spanking, but there's not much hard evidence to support it, he said.

Berlin's study focused on particularly early ages, Larzelere noted; much of the spanking literature focuses on ages 2 and older. Twelve months is probably too early to spank children, but there's no established point between ages 1 and 2 at which it is appropriate, he said.

Others say parents should not resort to spanking at any age. Susan Newman, social psychologist and author of "Little Things Long Remembered: Making Your Children Feel Special Every Day," said parents should discourage bad behaviors by taking away privileges such as dessert, or setting an earlier bedtime. They should also reinforce good behaviors verbally, saying how nice it is when their children share, for example.

The study corroborates what clinical psychologist Laura Markham, who was not involved in the study, has observed about the negative effects of spanking. Many mothers describe their children as fussy, resistant and demanding at age 1, which is a critical junction in the parent-child relationship, she said in an e-mail.

"If the mother sees this fussiness as willful misbehavior and begins verbally punishing or spanking, rather than empathizing with the child, the child's behavior deteriorates into more tantrums and other frustrating behavior," said Markham, who also offers advice at AhaParenting.com.

Health Library
MayoClinic.com: Baby sleep –– sleeping through the night
Newman also noted that children are too young to understand when parenting behavior is wrong, even at the level of abuse. Physical violence gets passed down in families because the only parenting skills people know are the behaviors that they saw at home, she said.

Spanking, moreover, reinforces negative memories in the child's mind, Newman said. Parents should aim instead to build "prominent, happy memories" of childhood for their kids, she said.

Regardless of income level, all parents can benefit from training classes, Newman said.

For future research, Berlin is looking at programs that work with low-income or high-risk families and try to promote supportive parenting behaviors.

In the spanking study, some mothers said they were receiving parenting services in which they were counseled not to spank their children.

"This is definitively the direction in which services are going and in which, in general, American culture is going," Berlin said.

i dont need to read the whole thing to tell you thats where the problem is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<–––––––––– Does

Not HARD, but a light spanking or a sharp smack on the wrist does wonders.  When you tell a kid "No", and he turns and smiles at you, and proceeds do do EXACTLY what you told him not to do, a punishment is justified.  Toddlers understand a lot more than you think they do.  Coincidentally, they tend to STOP doing what you told them not to do.

Finally someone who gets it...Babies are smart and they understand a lot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

According to the study, low-income families.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you read the article it is not opposed to spanking.  It focuses on kids being spanked at too young an age.

This
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

and this
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top