Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks good IMO
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good, it's one of the few "retro" uniform changes that does.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The uniform looks great...or at least it should.  In practice...it sucks.  I've seen several officers wearing it around The Annex and Pentagon.  Upon close inspection, I must give it a big thumbs down for the cheesy man made material they chose.

The old uniforms were made of high grade, well spun wool.  The really nice ones used the same lightweight gabardine wool that made the liberty dress blues the swabbies wore.  VERY nice material...light, took a mean crease, never wrinkled, folded up into a very small space and came out ready to wear, and draped perfectly on the body.  THAT was my favorite and all time best uniform ever.  My CPOs wore khakies made of the same stuff...usually purchased in Hong Kong.

The stuff they are using now...blech!  Truthfully, I didn't recognize it but it was definitely a spun man made thread.  Draped like shit too.

Always buy a wool uniform.

Unless your unit is like the one I was stuck with in Korea, in which case you will get bitched at for not having the 'current' polyester one (My current set of greens is the old wool variety - they did NOT like this)...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like it!

Now let's rename the DOD the "Department of War."

The DOD vs DOW has more to do with merging all of the services under one banner, than anything else.... Back then, you had Department of War (eg The Army) and Department of the Navy...

One can immagine the howls of protest, if the Navy had been asked to merge under an 'Army' department.... So we get DoD....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Army needs to bring back its khaki shirt/pants from the Vietnam area.  I think it looked sharp.

There's no point...

Unlike the VN era, we no longer wear 'dress' uniforms on duty, except for very high-up political positions...

The whole idea behind the ASU/ACU/IPFU is to eliminate ALL other uniforms besides those 3 (one dress, one duty, one PT)...

Be sure to let the recruiters know how "high up" they are.  Any bastardized shirt and pants version of the ASU is going to look like shit.

1) Unfortunately, they are doing the 'shirt-and-pantsifying' of the ASU...

2) A better solution would be to just have the recruiters work in ACUs like the rest of the Army does...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The enlisted version of this has a khaki shirt and black pants, and it replaces the working white and working blue uniform.

Whites get dirty at the back of the ankle the first time you go down a ladder on board ship from the ladder rungs. The pants pockets are unusable if you want the pants to stay clean.

We call it "whites mode", where we try not to touch anything, or ourselves, until what we were wearing them for is over.

Then, right to the cleaners to get cleaned.

The dress whites are getting modified, too. They are putting Navy Blue stripes on the sleeves and on the jumper flap, and are changing to a different material. They are going to look sorta like the blues (piping will be in the same place it is on the blues.) And most importantly, no 13 buttons to wrestle with. :)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Not quite as cool as the Air Force "sky camo," but it'll do.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:56:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The uniform looks great...or at least it should.  In practice...it sucks.  I've seen several officers wearing it around The Annex and Pentagon.  Upon close inspection, I must give it a big thumbs down for the cheesy man made material they chose.

The old uniforms were made of high grade, well spun wool.  The really nice ones used the same lightweight gabardine wool that made the liberty dress blues the swabbies wore.  VERY nice material...light, took a mean crease, never wrinkled, folded up into a very small space and came out ready to wear, and draped perfectly on the body.  THAT was my favorite and all time best uniform ever.  My CPOs wore khakies made of the same stuff...usually purchased in Hong Kong.

The stuff they are using now...blech!  Truthfully, I didn't recognize it but it was definitely a spun man made thread.  Draped like shit too.

The .mil's love for cheap polyester for a dress uniform is disturbing.  When I was AD, I hated the green poly officer class A uniform and had the wool enlisted issue class A's modified.  Technically, the shade of green was off, but it draped better and I received a number of compliments on it by my higher ups.

Brooks Brothers sells a version of the Service Dress Blue uniform, and their wool is the best available and lasts forever.  Maybe they'll sell a dress khaki uniform as well.  

linky.
I would love to get one.

Sorry-I should have said they sell a version of the Navy Dress Blue uniform.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The .mil's love for cheap polyester for a dress uniform is disturbing.  When I was AD, I hated the green poly officer class A uniform and had the wool enlisted issue class A's modified.  Technically, the shade of green was off, but it draped better and I received a number of compliments on it by my higher ups.

Brooks Brothers sells a version of the Service Dress Blue uniform, and their wool is the best available and lasts forever.  Maybe they'll sell a dress khaki uniform as well.  

linky.
I would love to get one.

bastard!
I HATE the fabric of my blues.
So fucking tacky.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
from:fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/07/17/1204808.aspx

New Navy Uniform Goes Retro

By Courtney Kube, NBC News Pentagon producer

WASHINGTON – The Navy uniform is going retro.

About 100 U.S. sailors around the world are testing out the Navy's new service dress khaki uniform.  

The look isn't really new though – it is actually a throwback to the old World War II-style uniform which was worn through the Vietnam era – and includes a black tie worn with a khaki coat that has large black shoulder boards.

msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo/_new/080717-Mike%20Mullen-hmed-11a.standard.jpg

Image: Adm. Mike Mullen
U.S. Navy/ Chad J. McNeeley

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, sports the "new" Navy look at a press conference at the Pentagon on July 2.

The dress khakis, which are worn for events ranging from business meetings and promotion ceremonies to meetings at the White House and testimony on Capitol Hill, can be worn year round.

While the new uniform will add to the larger collections of uniforms rather than replacing one, Navy officers and Chiefs will ultimately be allowed to wear it in place of three other existing uniforms – the less formal service khakis, the formal dress blues, and the formal whites.  

Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, the chief of naval operations in the early 1970’s, discarded the look, arguing that it forced sailors to carry too many uniforms in their sea bags when deployed.

Navy officials today argue the opposite, saying it will actually decrease the number of uniforms a sailor will have to carry on deployment: officers and chiefs can wear the long-sleeved khaki shirt and tie for formal work situations and then easily change to a formal dress uniform by putting on the jacket.

The officer who is bringing back the look is Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen, who was the chief of naval operations before taking on his current post.

Mullen believes the new dress khakis distinguish the officers from the enlisted sailors, and he is proving it by wearing the uniform during the trial period.

The testing began in June, runs through the end of the summer, and includes sailors at the Pentagon, in Norfolk, Virginia, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and even as far away as Yokosuka, Japan. At the end of the summer, the testers will evaluate the uniform in focus groups and online.

So far, the sailors wearing the uniform in the Pentagon are raving about it.  A few civilian Pentagon staffers have less praise for the attire, though, saying it looks "too old-fashioned."  The large shoulder boards take the most criticism, with one civilian reporter at the Pentagon calling them "big and awkward."

Admiral Mullen debuted the new uniform at a White House event last month, where the president reportedly gave the look a thumbs-up.

Asked how he likes the uniform after a recent press conference, Mullen said with a laugh, "Actually, I love it! What do you think?"

Wow, he's wearing pogoni. That's what they look like. Pogoni, for those of you who don't know, are the shoulder boards worn by czarist officers. The Soviets got rid of them after the Revolution, only to reinstate them during WW2.

G
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

linky.
I would love to get one.

bastard!
I HATE the fabric of my blues.
So fucking tacky.

Marlow White offers a 55/45 blend in tropical or gebardine weave.

www.marlowwhite.com/army/uniforms/service-dress-blue/officer-male.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Did the Army do away with the green service uniform yet?  Are there still plans to do so?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]
the army would be doing a great service if they would get rid of those gay ass berets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I sure hope they don't adopt a new uniform I just spent 1600 on mine...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll go with the consensus on here...I like it too...now if I could only enlist
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
the army would be doing a great service if they would get rid of those gay ass berets.

Yep.

I never thought they'd make it to the troops.
But, somehow, that turd passed.

Shineski can lick my balls.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Did the Army do away with the green service uniform yet?  Are there still plans to do so?

It is 'in process'...

At completion, the Army will only have 3 uniforms (period).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yes they would... If they had common sense, they would replace the Beret with the boonie hat when in ACUs, and the service cap (or at least the garrison cap) in ASUs (when released)....

Most hated uniform item other than the greens...

But common sense... Isn't common...

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There's no point...

Unlike the VN era, we no longer wear 'dress' uniforms on duty, except for very high-up political positions...

The whole idea behind the ASU/ACU/IPFU is to eliminate ALL other uniforms besides those 3 (one dress, one duty, one PT)...

I think it's gone a little too far, though. Army Bs do have their uses outside of formal settings. For example, whenever I re-enlist or enlist a soldier, I try to be in Bs for the occasion. I've gotten positive feedback on this.

NTM
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's about time!!!

The WWII dress uniforms of all three branches had a hell of a lot more style than the current.

Tucked in Ties FTW!!!

S-28

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice.  I also like the new Army Service Uniform.

The Army needs to bring back its khaki shirt/pants from the Vietnam area.  I think it looked sharp.

+1

It did, and you wore utilities/fatigues for dirty work.  (All the services had an office type uniform).  You got inspected in the ironed and starched khakis/blues/whites. And then they came up with the generic bdu, which was not ever going to be ironed or starched, etc.  And then in the first Gulf War, some master minds (including COMUSFORJAPAN) decided that to show support for the fighting troops that all hands could start wearing bdus all the time.  And the race to get rid of the sensible uniforms and use bdus for everything began.
The Khakis looked much better when traveling,I remember when you couldn't wear BDUs in an airport-type setting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Practical they are not. The US mil. should wear M-43 caps.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I am all for it, I don't mind them wearing those old school dress uniforms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo/_new/080717-Mike%20Mullen-hmed-11a.standard.jpg

He looks the cross between Bruce Willis and William H. Macy.

You know what, he does.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the uniform, even though I hardly wear anything but a flight suit.  A cool uniform that is infrequently seen is Aviation Working Green...now THAT is a throwback uniform.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/Chapter3/Officers/om_19_WK_Aviation.htm
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks good. I would also like to see the Army bring back the Kahkis.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I am in the Navy, Active Duty, and every single person I know is DREADING switching to this uniform. The whole point of Taskforce Uniform was to find a better looking uniform, that wore better, and that we liked. It failed miserably in my honest opinion. the one thing they got right about the uniform is that we will no longer have to sew our rank on like we used to for those of us who will not be wearing shoulder boards.
I appreciate all of the support about how pretty the new uniform looks, but that is only the Officer side of the house you are seeing. They may look sharp to the untrained eye but they are gonna be a PITA to wear. More of your tax dollars hard at work!
Photos
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate to say it but I agree the Enlisted Uniforms rank right down there with the dumb things the AF has come up with.

It's the Navy not the Marines, blue blue blue.  If the Coast Guard or the Air Force don't like it, screw them.

White or blue shirt, navy blue trousers.  No need for BDUs shipboard.  Coveralls or similar make more sense for a work uniform. Navies all over the world have gotten by with Whites in the summer and blues in the winter.  Don't see any big need to change that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like a USMC clone.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I like it !  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I like the uniform, even though I hardly wear anything but a flight suit.  A cool uniform that is infrequently seen is Aviation Working Green...now THAT is a throwback uniform.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/Chapter3/Officers/om_19_WK_Aviation.htm

There's a LT in Corpus whose taken it as a personal mission to get the AWG's kept as an optional uniform.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

1) Unfortunately, they are doing the 'shirt-and-pantsifying' of the ASU...

2) A better solution would be to just have the recruiters work in ACUs like the rest of the Army does...

Most Army recruiters I've seen have been wearing ACU's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am in the Navy, Active Duty, and every single person I know is DREADING switching to this uniform. The whole point of Taskforce Uniform was to find a better looking uniform, that wore better, and that we liked. It failed miserably in my honest opinion. the one thing they got right about the uniform is that we will no longer have to sew our rank on like we used to for those of us who will not be wearing shoulder boards.
I appreciate all of the support about how pretty the new uniform looks, but that is only the Officer side of the house you are seeing. They may look sharp to the untrained eye but they are gonna be a PITA to wear. More of your tax dollars hard at work!
Photos

Im right there with you aside that I am glad to see the utilities going away.  They are fugly.  The cammies is a great idea but after the CPO's get their hands on it you will have to polish the boots and crease the rest of it.  

I think the dress blues should be left alone and the dress whites maybe the changes will be fine, adding piping and stars like a negative of the blues..   Some fucking admiral wants to make a legacy for himself I figure.   I dont like not having a rating badge.  Collar devices seem to much like the army or USAF.

I'd like to see the piss cutter authorized for wear with a flight suit for E6 and below.  It is easier to carry and stow while not being worn and has more military bearing than a command baseball cap  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a LT in Corpus whose taken it as a personal mission to get the AWG's kept as an optional uniform.

Its still in the regs, but has to be allowed by the prescribing authority which means a regional commander. (IE Navy Region Northwest)  Anyway, that uniform was originally designed for USN types assigned to USMC bases or units.  The only place we have close to that would be Beufort.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top