Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Ruger hate is strong in this thread.

Yes the MSRP is high I'm sure you can get it for less.
And people are paying 600-700 for 50 year old AK's

Is it accurate I don't know  but I'm sure it will out shoot any AK  on it's worse day.

SKS's are cheap for a reason.

...and you've just fucking proven that you have no fucking clue what you're fucking talking about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Pass.  Don't ask, just pass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Rugers "Tactical Money Grab"
Failure as an actual rifle, but not too bad for gathering up shill's money.
See how much a spare bolt costs. Oh, wait, Ruger will not SELL you a bolt. no problem, just check the EE, or jg sales, or aim, lots of ruger parts, right.... NO.
Spare firing pin?
Spare gas piston? sorry. All proprietary parts, only from Ruger.
The mini 30 is overpriced, consumer grade occasional use ranch rifle, useful for plinking with expensive, domestic brass cased ammo at short range, and once it's broken, throw it away and buy a new rifle.
Go ahead and buy one,  It's YOUR money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rugers "Tactical Money Grab"
Failure as an actual rifle, but not too bad for gathering up shill's money.
See how much a spare bolt costs. Oh, wait, Ruger will not SELL you a bolt. no problem, just check the EE, or jg sales, or aim, lots of ruger parts, right.... NO.
Spare firing pin?
Spare gas piston? sorry. All proprietary parts, only from Ruger.
The mini 30 is overpriced, consumer grade occasional use ranch rifle, useful for plinking with expensive, domestic brass cased ammo at short range, and once it's broken, throw it away and buy a new rifle.
Go ahead and buy one,  It's YOUR money.

Agreed!  More shitty AK and SKS rifles for the rest of us, as well as that Com-bloc trash ammo.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Just throw it at the barn you should be able to hit it
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Was at the range one day, next to a guy shooting a scoped Mini from a bench at a gallon milkjug at about 250 yards.  He went through a couple mags, maybe hit the thing once, possibly twice in slow, aimed fire.  Got fed up, noticed me standing to his left, shooting my SKS, happy as a clam.  So he bitterly told me "you can shoot at that jug if you want, I'm leaving", so I shifted my aim from what I was shooting at (bowling pin at about 50), and nailed the jug on the 2nd, third, fourth, sixth, ninth, and tenth round.  The guy spat as he left and muttered something about "dumb commie shit."

My SKS––a Yugo––cost me $100 a few years back, back when Minis were going for $450ish.  Dunno about the rings or scope or 20 round mag, or the shooting rest or much else of what all he had.

But yeah, I guess mini's will always outshoot "cheap commie crap" like an AK or a "mere" SKS.  Your money, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
i can't argue with you in price but frankly i dont think you know what the heck you are talking about in saying they aren't reliable.  factory made mags and they run like a champ.  why is it an abomination?  also, will you please get over the fact that bill ruger is dead and cold in his grave and this company is really trying hard to please shooters.  do you also still have a stick up your butt about S&W even though that ownership was a long time ago?

Quoted:

Quoted:

And have you seen the price of a good AK lately.

I can buy Arsenal 107Fs all day long for approximately the same price as that Ruger abomination.

An AK that is reliable.

An AK that takes AK magazines.

An AK that isn't made by a company with a track record of selling out the 2nd Amendment in an attempt to turn an extra buck.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

If you can't find a quality AK in the same price point as the "Mini 30 Tactical" then you're not looking hard enough.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
25 yds?  wtf?  if it was a handgun, i'd congratulate you but with a rifle, that doesn't say much.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it accurate I don't know  but I'm sure it will out shoot any AK  on it's worse day.

i paid $560 otd for my arsenal SGL21-61. 10 30 round mags set me back, after shipping about $100 from AIM. oh and here is a 5 shot group i fired while zeroing at 25 yards with irons:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/IMG_0390.jpg?t=1284086562

a  good AK is a much better product for less money.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]
i have seen a mini 30 outshoot many a rifle in the hands of rexydg7 using wolf and tula.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt this will out shoot any AKs if you're running .311 Wolf or surplus ammo through a .308 bore.  I have a feeling that the only accurate ammo choices for this will be American brass-cased offerings, and that combo probably won't be that much more accurate than an SKS loaded with Yugo surplus.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#12]
A mini thirty was the first rifle I ever bought.  It was light, handy and shot ammo I could afford in high school.  Picked up a nylon pistol grip folding stock and a couple of nanner clips, and it was ON.  Had to fuck with the magazines to get em to feed, but the rifle still eats whateve I jam in the chamber.  

I always thought it was kind of fubar that everyone loves the Garand and the M1A, but shifting it into a shorter .30 cal created so many haters.  

FWIW, I've NEVER had a failure when using a Ruger magazine.  No matter what the ammo.

And the accuracy is minute of egg at a hundred meters with western commercial ammo.  Minute of apple with Chicom.  That's with iron sights.  It's not a bad little rifle.  Methinks a lot of the hatred is just folks parroting what they've heard like it's something they came up with.  

Is it enough better than an AK to justify 900?  Naah, but I didn't pay that.  
Is it hamstrung by bad aftermarket magazines?  Yep, but once you get yours working right it'll go bang every time.

It also sits in a sheeple friendly stock most of the time, so you don't freak folks out as bad and the fudds don't shit when you use it to hunt whitetail.  

Mini-30's have a place.  Just don't expect em to be more than they are.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I like my Mini-30 but they do not fire the milsurp 7.62X39 as reliably as an AK.  Occasional light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm late to this thread...

Here's the norm for my Mini-30:

1. Accuracy - About as accurate as an AK, maybe less.  I scoped my Mini-30 and never found a good zero.  It is minute of bad guy but you will not find precision

2. Ammo - of course maybe it isn't precise because until recently there weren't very good factory loads.  Here's another issue; milsurp ammo.  My Mini-30 choked many times on com-bloc ammo such as Wolf.  My SKS and AK love the stuff.  The UMC brass 7.62x39 ran fine.

3. Magazines - I bought this thing during the ban so magazines over 5 rounds were extremely expensive and unreliable in some cases.  I had the best luck with Thermold expanding magazines that went from 29-42 rounds (something like that).  Today that isn't as much of an issue but higher capacity magazines are still quite expensive.

4. Factory sights - Never overly impressed with the factory sights on mine (and my Mini-14) but they have several options and I'm sure they have improved.

5. Cost - A big issue.  Mini-30s weren't cheap when I bought one and they still aren't as inexpensive as they should be (IMHO).  For the price of a Mini-30 you can buy a SKS or even a low end AK and have the same accuracy and functionality plus extra cash for magazines, ammo, etc.

6. Optics/stock - If you want to scope your Mini you either deal with the crappy Ruger rings/mounts or buy aftermarket.  Stock wise there are aftermarket ones available to give you a pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock, etc.  You could of course buy an AK for less and then Tapco rail it which still comes in less than a Mini and all those other accessories.

So if you want a 7.62x39 rifle that take expensive magazines, is more expensive than the competitors, gets the same accuracy or less than cheaper competitors, only functions well with more expensive ammunition, has slightly better sights than most Ruskie guns, poor optics mounting, and additional costs if you want the EBR look then by all means fork out the money.

If all you are looking for is a beater truck gun that fires 7.62x39 and you want to buy American, then the Mini-30 is for you.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
You are all wrong. Mini-30s are excellent rifles, way better than even the best AK's out there. There really is no reason to buy an AK with these on the market, just leave all those AKs on the shelves for the suckers to buy. And make sure you only shoot quality, commercial ammo. Don't buy any of that cheap, surplus stuff you see all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think this looks pretty sharp, nice heavy barrel and only 6.75 pounds.
I have been wanting a  AK 47 this might just due, what say you ??

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5YeA3ys09sE/TImRrp7wD_I/AAAAAAAAApA/pnozWkGviJM/s400/Mini%2030.jpg

my aks make this gun their bitch
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks nice.

Who compared it to a shitty MINI-30 to an AK?

I had a Mini-30, that bitch couldn't feed worth crap from anything but the provided 5 round factory mag. I traded it straight for a WASR-10 and two 30rd mags. That was the best thing I ever did with the Mini-30....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want an AK, get an AK.

once again, first post has it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the price of the Ruger you can almost buy 2 of these

http://www.raacfirearms.com/images/p_saiga.jpg

Absolutely correct statement and that Saiga is really an ak in disguise just waiting for some plastic surgery to transform it into an excellent ak with a barrel and receiver made in good old Mother Russia.   The nice thing about the Saiga is that you can change it back just a little or you can make it end up looking like an Arsenal SGL-31 if you have average mechanical skills and a little money.  

I remember about six or so years back.....maybe seven years....CDNN had a clearance sale on .223 saigas for $159.00!   I shit you not.   I think they had decided to quit carrying them and were clearing inventory.  What do they sell for now?   About $339 at Centerfire and they are out of stock.  

Oh, and the Saiga WILL NOT get indigestion with steel-cased ammo OR .556 ammo like that overpriced mini-14.  I read a post just a few days ago on another board where a new mini-14 owner suffered a broken firing pin after firing about (400?) rounds of steel-cased Russian ammo.   He was PISSED OFF because he was apparently going to have to send the entire rifle back to Ruger for repair.

Don't hold your breath waiting for your Saiga to break, by the way.

Enough bashing for today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you want an AK, get an AK.

+1

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
THey had a great concept of a all around decent gun at the right price. They have since smoked crack at the dump and lost their mind.

The mini rifles were average to decent but at the right price. They were to be the truck gun for the masses. Then they went and tripled the price So now they sell and over priced middle of the road rifle at a premium price.  I got an Arsenal inc SLR105 with 5000 rounds , pile of mags and a sling for the price of that rifle Not to mention the SKS-M I got with a dozen of mags and several hundred rounds for a quarter that price!

Bolth were off the EE and bolth will definatly serve me better than that rugar they want just short of a grand for!

Shop around and get something decent at a good price! Members here dont seem to sell at a premium. They seem to sell at a "somone buy this so I can hurry up and go get my new toy I want!"  The EE is your friend!

I wanted one until I saw even the cheap walmart model is over $600. I'll build another AR for the same price.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Bear in mind that a Mini-30 will NOT chew thru mil-surp ammo like a regular AK. I had one, and after

about 2 thirty-round mags, the devil was fouled-up good and would no longer cycle. As I recall, the owner's

manual recommended using only factory fresh commercial loads. Have fun otherwise!

I never had severe fouling with my old Mini-30, but often had the mini fail to fire on russian mil surp ammo (probably due to the primers).

Happened nearly every 30 round mag.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I had one of the new Tactical Mini's in 5.56, loved it, wish I kept it... I plan on replacing it when I have the funds. Mine was accurate and reliable.

MSRP means nothing... the Mini 30 Tactical will sell for around $650ish +/- all depending on where you shop.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]
You know, I think it's about time i bought another Siaga.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#25]
No I am not an AK expert.
I have shot 2 AK's and both of them had terrible sights, and the owner even said "well AK's are mostly point and shoot"
They may have been terrible examples but all the AK's I have looked at had terrible fit & finish.
If your marksman with your AK, good for you.

So let me ask, say you have a $ 600 budget what is a good AK  and which one's would you stay away from.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Former 30 owner, go with the AK hands down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I would rather have an SKS than pay those prices for a Mini-30.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Get a fucking AK.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

For $900+ Rugar can keep that shit.

This.  I'd rather have an AR anyway...more options.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it sucks just looking at it. The price really makes it suck. I've owned 3 Minis over the years and only the first one (bought back in the 70s) was worth a darn accuracy wise. Any of my SKSs can outshoot a Mini with irons.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd be happy just for the factory 20 round mags.  Have a 20+ year old Mini 30 Ranch I haven't shot in years, and the mags may bring it out of mothball status.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
i can't argue with you in price but frankly i dont think you know what the heck you are talking about in saying they aren't reliable.  factory made mags and they run like a champ.  why is it an abomination?  also, will you please get over the fact that bill ruger is dead and cold in his grave and this company is really trying hard to please shooters.  do you also still have a stick up your butt about S&W even though that ownership was a long time ago?

1. My experience (and I'm far from alone here) with the Mini line of Ruger rifles is that they are not only inaccurate, but also unreliable. The track record of the platform speaks for itself.
2. How much are those factory high caps?
3. See above.
4. No, I won't. YMMV but until I see a publicly-stated and/or written reversal of their previous position, nothing has changed.
5. S&W was on the ropes. Ruger was proactive. Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#34]
factory 20rd mags around $25.  my circle 10 waffle mags for my SLR-107FR weren't super cheap.  the early minis with the pencil barrels were shitty but with an accustrut it tightens way up.  i believe that new barrel will make the groups better and am curious.  

imho ak and mini 30 is apples to oranges.

the ak clone is based off an assault rifle where the mini is based on a ranch rifle conept.  two different things.

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. My experience (and I'm far from alone here) with the Mini line of Ruger rifles is that they are not only inaccurate, but also unreliable. The track record of the platform speaks for itself.

2. How much are those factory high caps?

3. See above.

4. No, I won't. YMMV but until I see a publicly-stated and/or written reversal of their previous position, nothing has changed.

5. S&W was on the ropes. Ruger was proactive. Apples to oranges.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Check out J&G Sales, the AK buffet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think this looks pretty sharp, nice heavy barrel and only 6.75 pounds.
I have been wanting a  AK 47 this might just due, what say you ??

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5YeA3ys09sE/TImRrp7wD_I/AAAAAAAAApA/pnozWkGviJM/s400/Mini%2030.jpg

I love my SP101, and I love my AKs...but I just don't have love for that shit.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Will this version be able to hit anything?

hahaha i was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't know about the 30, but I just bought a 14 and the new barrel & sights are a big improvement over the previous design. I see the minis reputation dies hard, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would rather have an SKS than pay those prices for a Mini-30.

+1

I like Ruger, but the Mini-30 is something I'd never buy unless I got a unbelievable deal. Even then, I'd probably just sell it for a AK.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top