Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather have a new ZR-1

This.

This +1

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sure alot of Americans can afford that foreign fucking piece of shit.

I'm also sure that it will be sold out before production starts. Oh wait, it is.

Any other pearls of wisdom you want to drop?

MSRP: $269K.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ferrari 458 and the Corvette ZR1 are in no way intended for the same market segment.

I like both, but they're far less comparable then they seem superficially.

This,  as cool as the ZR1 is, it is not a Ferrari.  When I win powerball tonight I'll just get both as its the arfcom way.

Every 458 is probably presold.  as are all the ZR-1s....

Actually on another board there are a couple of people who put money down sight unseen on whatever replaced the 430 over a year ago that won't be getting one. They're not happy.

Ferrari's are always sold out before production starts. With some people putting down deposits 4 years ahead of time with no knowledge of what the next one will look like.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ehh, 0-60 and top speed is slower then a 911 GT2 and it will cost more?

Completely different cars.

You know that though and just want to stir the shit with your Porsche loving ass.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ferrari 458 and the Corvette ZR1 are in no way intended for the same market segment.

This,  as cool as the ZR1 is, it is not a Ferrari.  When I win powerball tonight I'll just get both as its the arfcom way.

Actually on another board there are a couple of people who put money down sight unseen on whatever replaced the 430 over a year ago that won't be getting one. They're not happy.

Ferrari's are always sold out before production starts. With some people putting down deposits 4 years ahead of time with no knowledge of what the next one will look like.

And IIRC you can't just buy a 458.  You have to own a starter Ferrari first.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily. You just have to have had a relationship with your local Ferrari dealership first to get a chance to get on the list.  3-4 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily. You just have to have had a relationship with your local Ferrari dealership first to get a chance to get on the list.  3-4 years ago.

Most of those dealerships won't put you on the list unless you already own one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of those dealerships won't put you on the list unless you already own one.

I know what you were implying. I was just being a drunk smartass.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The 430 looks better....

I love the 360 and 430's air intakes above the rear wheel wells!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
gorgeous...seriously hot car...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in the day I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it:

I had to settle for this:

After years of tending a high strung solid lifter engine I now drive this:

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That sidekick totally owns!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it just me or are these overproduced pics might as well be CGI?

How about some pics of what it looks like in 99.999999999% of real world lighting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Back in the day I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it:

http://www.supercars.net/carpics/691/1968_Ford_GT40Mk1Gulf2.jpg

I had to settle for this:

http://www.jmooneyham.com/1970-z-28-chevrolet-camaro.jpg

After years of tending a high strung solid lifter engine I now drive this:

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/090706/244r3/214142a_20.jpeg

The GT40 was such a cool car and a Ferrari killer too.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was at an outdoor cafe in San Francisco recently when some young guy parked a similar Ferrari, with Arabic plates (?? son of a diplomat), in front of the restaurant.

I'm not a car guy, but I was astounded by the amount of attention that thing got: passers-by, motorists, people in buses... The owner also ate outside, and I think he liked watching his car get such attention.

It's nice to have a car people apreciate, I only have an STi but it's a head turner for sure. The coolest moment was when I was just cruising on the highway, driving 65mph and someone passed me in the left lane and his kid on the back seat was totally staring at my car with big round eyes and an open mouth, kinda like this
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a good chance that the person who buys the Ferrari will take factory delivery of the car at Marelleno.  If he's a repeat customer, they could give him the option of accepting delivery at the test track at Fiorano to run a few laps and, who knows, he might even get a chance to meet Kimi or Michael Schumacher if they happen to be at the factory.

What is the buyer of the Corvette going to do, go to Bowling Green and meet the jort wearing UAW slug who built his car?

It just doesn't seem the same, does it?

Feh.  Do your homework.  Buyers of the ZR1 get a multi day 'training session' at Bondurant's.  On his track.  Using his ZR1's.  At speed.  High speed.  Probably better and more useful than "meeting Kimi or Michael Schumacher if they happen to be at the factory".

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a good chance that the person who buys the Ferrari will take factory delivery of the car at Marelleno.  If he's a repeat customer, they could give him the option of accepting delivery at the test track at Fiorano to run a few laps and, who knows, he might even get a chance to meet Kimi or Michael Schumacher if they happen to be at the factory.

What is the buyer of the Corvette going to do, go to Bowling Green and meet the jort wearing UAW slug who built his car?

Feh.  Do your homework.  Buyers of the ZR1 get a multi day 'training session' at Bondurant's.  On his track.  Using his ZR1's.  At speed.  High speed.  Probably better and more useful than "meeting Kimi or Michael Schumacher if they happen to be at the factory".

Corvette fanboys crack me up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ZR1 probably is a better value than the Ferrari (pure performance for dollar). But it's still no Ferrari.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ZR1 probably is a better value than the Ferrari (pure performance for dollar). But it's still no Ferrari.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep 430 meets Enzo! This is a masterpeice!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know that though and just want to stir the shit with your Porsche loving ass.

What do you mean? they are both two door, two seat supercars built for blowing around the track and weekend driving.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
D/T
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always liked the Italian designs, but for myself, I prefer to sit behind a wheel and look over a hood.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Shelby SSC set a new world speed record 258 MPH , $600,000
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shelby SSC set a new world speed record 258 MPH , $600,000

Not bad, but what happens when you need to turn going above 25 MPH?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#27]
How much is the Ferrari 458 going for?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

$269,000.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean? they are both two door, two seat supercars built for blowing around the track and weekend driving.

Please, don't plead stupidity. The GT2 is MADE for the track, the 458 isn't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Posted earlier. It started at $269K.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

NM..posted already.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, come on, you know as well as I do that Ferrari built the 458 (and every other car they have ever made) as a track car first and a street car a very distant second.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not entirely true.  This one is however:

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, come on, you know as well as I do that Ferrari built the 458 as a track car first and a street car a very distant second.

Nope. If you want to compare then use the 430 Scuderia. Not the fresh off the line 458.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#35]
What ever, Porsche is still better. (I am a rabid fanboy, what can I say?)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not entirely true.  This one is however:  

The GT3 RS is the light weight track version. Neither of these two cars are in the same class (not a knock) as the 458. They are different cars for different purposes.

Unless by the way you guys are going you want the Enzo brought in the mix?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What ever, Porsche is still better. (I am a rabid fanboy, what can I say?)

I know that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, come on, you know as well as I do that Ferrari built the 458 as a track car first and a street car a very distant second.

Nope. If you want to compare then use the 430 Scuderia. Not the fresh off the line 458.

Yeah the 430 Scuderia and the 360 Challenge Stradale are the most recent "track cars" but I'd be interested in seeing what the actual differences are in each case (as well as the GT2) from their more street brethren..I figure less weight and grippier tread are the most significant

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Not like I can afford either for the foreseeable future, but in that price point, assuming I could afford one I think I would rather have a Lamborghini Gallardo. I really like the aggressive angular styling of the Gallardo, and since it's made by Audi, in Germany it will actually function more then half the time.

My parents have a neighbor that own a F360 that has spent more time with the bonnet up then with keys in it's ignition.

Edited to add: On the subject of the Corvette ZR-1 I spent some time at the road course MPH in Hastings, NE. The day I was out there there were two ZR-1s along with a plethora of more pedestrian Z06s. The consensus I heard amongst the guys running that track day and amongst many of the drivers was that the ZR-1 was not a very good track car, most notably it didn't have adequate cooling and was prone to overheating after only a couple laps. Also there that day was a Noble M12 which was very interesting Car to see in person. Personally I'd rather have a Noble then a ZR-1 for the money.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the 430 Scuderia and the 360 Challenge Stradale are the most recent "track cars" but I'd be interested in seeing what the actual differences are in each case (as well as the GT2) from their more street brethren..I figure less weight and grippier tread are the most significant

A lot less weight. Any particulars you need?

Also the GT2 is RWD as opposed to AWD like the Turbo. I would love to drive against the average driver with me being in a standard 430 and them being in the GT2. First high speed turn and it would be over.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also the GT2 is RWD as opposed to AWD like the Turbo. I would love to drive against the average driver with me being in a standard 430 and them being in the GT2. First high speed turn and it would be over.

Yeah, if you put someone who doesn't know how to drive in the GT2.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if you put someone who doesn't know how to drive in the GT2.

Which would be your average driver.

Most average drivers would be masters at finding out what was behind them on the first turn that they lifted on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#43]
You know I really have to try to throw the rear end out when driving a 911 whether it be a 911SC, 930, 964, 993 or a 997 (for some reason I haven't drive a 996 yet), it doesn't seem any easier then throwing out the rear of a 944 or an M3.
The 911T I drove did spin just by thinking about it though.
ETA: Maybe I just know how to drive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#44]
If I had the money to be playing with those, I'd take an F430 Scuderia.

Sooo hot!

If I didn't have quite that much money, I'd buy a Porsche GT3.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
That is what a Ferrari should look like
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You know I really have to try to throw the rear end out when driving a 911, it doesn't seem any easier then throwing out the rear of a 944 or an M3.

I'm not gonna lie. I spun a 993.

We'll let you act like you haven't spun one. Either you weren't driving hard enough or you haven't drove one.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You know I really have to try to throw the rear end out when driving a 911 whether it be a 911SC, 930, 964, 993 or a 997 (for some reason I haven't drive a 996 yet), it doesn't seem any easier then throwing out the rear of a 944 or an M3.
The 911T I drove did spin just by thinking about it though.

I'm calling BS.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know I really have to try to throw the rear end out when driving a 911, it doesn't seem any easier then throwing out the rear of a 944 or an M3.

We'll let you act like you haven't spun one. Either you weren't driving hard enough or you haven't drove one.

I didn't say I haven't spun a 993 but you really have to try.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say I haven't spun a 993 but you really have to try.

Not really.  Just lift in a fast corner.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm calling BS.

Why? do you ever go to track days, bunch of friendly people that will let you go for a spin and have some fun.

ETA: it was a later model (1985) 911SC and Porsche had fixed some of the over steer/uncontrollable spinning problems by then what is so BS about that?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top