User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have broken a grip safety ... I just don't like the process i mean mixing chemical powers/plastic to make a part that should be forged steel is a cost cutting method no one will argue that.It also has tiny little holes in the part again that bothers me. You are right a non mim part gun costs more but i think it's worth it again YMMV. Colt does use the fewest mim parts of most of the production 1911's.

View Quote

Who was the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Picked this up at a gun show about 5 years ago. 1974. It was dry and a little dirty but wasn't even broken in. Cleaned it up and love it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bacon51/Colt%201911/Series-70-06web.jpg

It is dirty from shooting in the pick. Also - yes the roll mark in slanted.

ETA - Here's the other side.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bacon51/Colt%201911/Series-70-07web.jpg

View Quote

Very, very nice.  Between that and your PTR-91, you're well armed
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

good looking 1911. How does that thing shoot? Did you replace the collet bushing?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Picked this up at a gun show about 5 years ago. 1974. It was dry and a little dirty but wasn't even broken in. Cleaned it up and love it.

good looking 1911. How does that thing shoot? Did you replace the collet bushing?

Shoots as well as any regular 1911 and it's reliable. I do like it when it's cleaned up and oiled. Still has the original collet bushing. Thinking of putting on taller sights.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks USMCTanker. Yeah, I'm happy with both those guns.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. Original Colt 70 series guns, made in the 70s, were the reason why everyone in the 80s and onwards complained that 1911s were jammomatic pieces of shit. They were fairly terrible guns. If you got one that worked, great...odds are though, you wouldn't get one that worked out of the box. New ones are awesome.

To JBski:
If your Delta is bulging cases, I'd guess either you're shooting some really hot-rod stuff, or the barrel was incorrectly throated. Did you do any work to it before sending it back to Colt? And can you define "factory loaded ammunition" please? Which factory/ammo maker? Have you tried different ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The new ones are generally better than the old ones.  

Buds had some the other day.  Not sure of price.

Really?  I'm what way?

They aren't any better, unless you count the lack of the collet bushing "better" (which it is, btw). New Colt pistols are junk, your cash is better spent on an old one.

Wat? The Series 70 [original] was VERY hit and miss. You could get a nice one or a total POS. The pre 70s made in the 60s were FAR better built 1911s and the earlier one's were works of art. The new Series 70 is built to a much higher standard the the originals could ever dream to be.

This. Original Colt 70 series guns, made in the 70s, were the reason why everyone in the 80s and onwards complained that 1911s were jammomatic pieces of shit. They were fairly terrible guns. If you got one that worked, great...odds are though, you wouldn't get one that worked out of the box. New ones are awesome.

To JBski:
If your Delta is bulging cases, I'd guess either you're shooting some really hot-rod stuff, or the barrel was incorrectly throated. Did you do any work to it before sending it back to Colt? And can you define "factory loaded ammunition" please? Which factory/ammo maker? Have you tried different ammo?

Blazer 10 mm auto (aluminum) and Remington 10mm UMC would bulge, and no, the gun has had 0 work done to it, other than two trips back to the factory (one for a new barrel and slide). It doesn't bulge factory boxed ammo like it used to, just some hot Georgia arms loads that I still have, and not as severely as it used to before the new parts.

It sits in my safe, waiting on me to either sell it, or have a ramped, fully supported barrel installed, with some other custom work, too.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top