User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, if I keep reading ARFCOM, there will be no TV shows left that aren't "anti gun".
View Quote

Aside from shows directly dealing with hunting or shooting, there are pretty much no pro-gun shows and the vast majority are anti.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

i've seen that episode, and i thought it was hilarious.  

and i don't give a shit what silly boycott shit liberal culture warriors do, either.  they just want to be mad about something, so fuck 'em.  i spent years and years with a political axe to grind, and i was downright miserable.  jon F'ing stewart could ruin my entire day.  then one day i realized that i was in a bad mood because i was putting myself in a bad mood.  i was actively seeking out stuff that i could get upset about.  what a goddamn waste of time!

you know what it reminds me of?  a bunch of junior high girls running around saying "you know what sally said about you yesterday? i was, like, so upset because she should just keep her mouth shut blahblahblah..."

if people want to live like that, fine--they can make themselves miserable with it.  but i'm done with that.  i think george cloony is a political clown, but i enjoy the hell out of him as daniel ocean.  i get a huge kick out of colbert, even though i think his politics are the result of some sort of bizarre drug experiment.  i just don't give a shit--i think the guy is funny, because i can laugh at myself.

one of my big challenges in life has been overcoming a tendency towards anger, because i grew up with that.  and most of that anger was over things that i couldn't control.

that's just not a good way to live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, if I keep reading ARFCOM, there will be no TV shows left that aren't "anti gun".

yep.  the culture warriors are more concerned about missing a possible subversive message than with enjoying life.

and they're everywhere.

Just remember that next time the libs get advertising pulled from Beck or Rush.

The Simpsons episode in question was very anti-gun.

i've seen that episode, and i thought it was hilarious.  

and i don't give a shit what silly boycott shit liberal culture warriors do, either.  they just want to be mad about something, so fuck 'em.  i spent years and years with a political axe to grind, and i was downright miserable.  jon F'ing stewart could ruin my entire day.  then one day i realized that i was in a bad mood because i was putting myself in a bad mood.  i was actively seeking out stuff that i could get upset about.  what a goddamn waste of time!

you know what it reminds me of?  a bunch of junior high girls running around saying "you know what sally said about you yesterday? i was, like, so upset because she should just keep her mouth shut blahblahblah..."

if people want to live like that, fine--they can make themselves miserable with it.  but i'm done with that.  i think george cloony is a political clown, but i enjoy the hell out of him as daniel ocean.  i get a huge kick out of colbert, even though i think his politics are the result of some sort of bizarre drug experiment.  i just don't give a shit--i think the guy is funny, because i can laugh at myself.

one of my big challenges in life has been overcoming a tendency towards anger, because i grew up with that.  and most of that anger was over things that i couldn't control.

that's just not a good way to live.

Well you pretty much described me to a T.  

But you know what I get mad about the most?  Right wingers that prioritize entertainment over politics.

You can justify your lack of willpower to yourself and others, but in the end you're just guaranteeing a never ending uphill battle for the right.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But you know what I get mad about the most?  Right wingers that prioritize entertainment over politics.

You can justify your lack of willpower to yourself and others, but in the end you're just guaranteeing a never ending uphill battle for the right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, you've hooked me.

tell me what you've actually accomplished by griping about this particular simpsons episode.  tell me what you've done.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ok, you've hooked me.

tell me what you've actually accomplished by griping about this particular simpsons episode.  tell me what you've done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok, you've hooked me.

Well, griping hasn't done anything.  But I canceled my cable service nearly a decade ago.  When buying products I mostly avoid known liberal companies even if they're cheaper.  Although quality trumps all.

Look, like you, I've learned to keep my anger in check. Your comments about Stewart really hit home with me. If I managed to catch that asshat saying something stupid it would drive me nuts for hours.  I'm not like that anymore.

But what I really hate is knowing that we can make a difference with our wallets, but we(as a whole) lack the commitment to do so.  The libs are more committed to their cause than we are.  Like it or not entertainment plays a huge role in the political decisions of "low information voters".  It carefully shapes their views over years and years of light propaganda.

Imagine if every like minded individual stopped financially supporting the liberal sections of the entertainment industry.  What would that do to their bottom line?  And ultimately, how would their product change as a result?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Random episode:http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5G6PlRiW3xE/hqdefault.jpg?feature=og     From the trivia episode: http://simpsonitos.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/nra4ever.jpg

I couldn't say for certain whether it was changed early on, but most of the episodes 847.63 is pretty visible if you are looking for it and it's even clearer now in the HD episodes.  I'll be sure to check out the first few seasons when I'm done with the bar exam.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maggie rings up on the cash register as "NRA4EVR"

Random episode:http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5G6PlRiW3xE/hqdefault.jpg?feature=og     From the trivia episode: http://simpsonitos.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/nra4ever.jpg

I couldn't say for certain whether it was changed early on, but most of the episodes 847.63 is pretty visible if you are looking for it and it's even clearer now in the HD episodes.  I'll be sure to check out the first few seasons when I'm done with the bar exam.

The NRA4EVR thing was a joke.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, griping hasn't done anything.  But I canceled my cable service nearly a decade ago.  When buying products I mostly avoid known liberal companies even if they're cheaper.  Although quality trumps all.

Look, like you, I've learned to keep my anger in check. Your comments about Stewart really hit home with me. If I managed to catch that asshat saying something stupid it would drive me nuts for hours.  I'm not like that anymore.

But what I really hate is knowing that we can make a difference with our wallets, but we(as a whole) lack the commitment to do so.  The libs are more committed to their cause than we are.  Like it or not entertainment plays a huge role in the political decisions of "low information voters".  It carefully shapes their views over years and years of light propaganda.

Imagine if every like minded individual stopped financially supporting the liberal sections of the entertainment industry.  What would that do to their bottom line?  And ultimately, how would their product change as a result?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok, you've hooked me.

Hammer meet nail.

I never once got mad or felt miserable.  There are plenty of examples besides the OP that as a youth I thought were funny without fully understanding who the butt of the joke was or whom the target audience was.

When I became more informed and involved in preserving our freedoms, I decided I'd be happier diverting my funds away from fueling liberal mass media and more towards causes like the NRA and events such as the recent recall attempts in CO.

I mentioned Lisa's quote earlier in the thread.  If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that same line regurgitated by liberals, I'd at least have a full tank of gas. I wonder which is more likely: that they came up with that through their own research of the founding fathers and the federalist papers, or through the simple act of watching the Simpsons (Lisa's supposed to be the smart one, after all) or parroting someone who had.

I don't live in a basement. I have my own house, property, two vehicles, a wife and two kids. We just don't have TV, but we do have the Internet, and that seems a suitable, a-la-carte if you will substitute for TV, as I have never really given a damn about watching sports (seems like a lot of those guys had stuff to air out re: Zimmerman) or shows that I couldn't just find on Netflix.

You guys are mostly different from the brainless masses and know the difference between humor and what you truly stand for, but I'm pretty sure you're well outnumbered by people who can't think for themselves. I'd encourage you to think about that the next time a liberal cites Colbert or Stewart or Cnn or whatever tv sound bite when debating the right to your freedoms.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
At the end of the episode being discussed, after trying to convince Homer to get rid of the gun the whole time, Marge sees the gun in the trash. She picks it up, poses with it, and tucks it safely in her purse.

Pretty much a wash overall, if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At the end of the episode being discussed, after trying to convince Homer to get rid of the gun the whole time, Marge sees the gun in the trash. She picks it up, poses with it, and tucks it safely in her purse.

Pretty much a wash overall, if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?
View Quote

That was the one caveat of the episode, huh? That and of course the local NRA chapter saving the day and fending off Homer's assailant.

An interesting message coming from Matt Groening, perhaps an acknowledgement of the liberal mental incongruity of wanting to ban guns but also wanting to be protected by them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

yep.  the culture warriors are more concerned about missing a possible subversive message than with enjoying life.

and they're everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and they're everywhere.

For those of us intelligent enough to think for ourselves and not have our thinking swayed by the liberal media, I agree.  We can watch a liberal show for its entertainment value and look beyond the idiotic overtones.

My concern lies with the drones who look to celebrities for political opinions and let the media determine their way of thinking.  What happens when everything they see directs them to liberalism?  That's why I have a hard time watching TV/Movies that are attempting to indoctrinate people..... I know they are succeeding with an ever-growing segment of the population.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#10]
PSA : SIMPSON's is a liberal douche-bag show. Always has been, always will be.

Tonight's Simpsons Was Even More Anti-Republican Than Usual]Tonight's Simpsons Was Even More Anti-Republican Than Usual

http://gawker.com/5695811/tonights-simpsons-was-even-more-anti+republican-than-usual
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is taking something and turning it in to comedy by utilizing stereotypes.  It's how the Simpsons does humor for everything.  I wouldn't read in to it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That episode isn't exactly anti-gun.

Right.

It is taking something and turning it in to comedy by utilizing stereotypes.  It's how the Simpsons does humor for everything.  I wouldn't read in to it...

there are plenty of newer Simpsons that are super libral or anti gun. However i agree this one isn't necessarily anti-gun taken in the context of the episode. It goes one to end with Homer being forced to give up his gun by a local "NRA" because he can't use his responsibly,

and with how a few minor modification you can turn one gun into 5

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Moe Sizlack was pro-2A.  And presumably a strong supporter of castle doctrine.

Funny thing about Moe, I didn't realize until I was an adult that there was no such thing as a double-barreled pump shotgun.  Makes the old gag even funnier.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PSA : SIMPSON's is a liberal douche-bag show. Always has been, always will be.

Tonight's Simpsons Was Even More Anti-Republican Than Usual]Tonight's Simpsons Was Even More Anti-Republican Than Usual

http://gawker.com/5695811/tonights-simpsons-was-even-more-anti+republican-than-usual
View Quote

Well, I'm pretty much anti-Republican AND anti-Democrat at this point.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's no secret that Matt Groening is pretty hardcore left liberal.

In this episode Lisa said "The second amendment is a relic from the revolution days, it doesn't mean anything today," then Homer goes on a diatribe about the King of England pushing people around, to which Lisa backs down.

The satire is against gun ownership, make no mistake.
View Quote

This. Matt Groening is rabbid anti-gun. Just look at some of his pre-simpon cartoons.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maggie rings up on the cash register as "NRA4EVR"

Yes. That was a joke for the 138th Episode Spectacular. The original scanner gag was highlighting the cost of raising a baby for a month at the time. I watched some episode commentaries with the DVD sets and Matt Groening said one of the shows producers, maybe Sam Simon I don't remember, was a huge gun nut and ultra conservative who'd always get in political arguments with the rest of the staff. He highlighted this right after a scene where a facsimile of the producer popped up in the background as a raving lunatic in a nut house as a gag.

I've resigned myself to the fact that a vast majority of people in the entertainment industry are far left liberals. If you don't think they slant the entertainment that way you aren't paying attention. I just refuse to watch stuff that is so insanely one sided and overt that it makes my blood boil. The Newsroom is a good example of this, Aaron Sorkin feverishly jerks off every insanely liberal platitude into the audiences mouth during every, single, line, of that show.  Im sure with its ripped from the headlines format they'll have quite a bit to say about Sandy Hook and gun control either this season or next. While I ignore shows like that mostly I let the other stuff slide.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The Simpsons have made fun of everything imaginable at one point in time. They mock liberals as well portraying them as dumb pot smoking hippies. I wouldn't take offense to that episode. They mock everyone.

Simpson's ftw!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]
From the wiki page Politics in The Simpsons

Gun rights

The theme of gun rights were explored in the episode "The Cartridge Family" (season 9, 1997). Sam Simon had pitched an episode for one of the first seasons which saw Homer getting a gun and nobody wanting him to have it. The episode concluded with Homer foiling a robbery and stating that although guns bring destruction, it worked for him.[21] However, this episode was pitched by Scully for either season seven or eight, before being used for season nine.[22] This provided the basic outline, and John Swartzwelder wrote the script.[22] A lot of lines in the episode put guns in a positive light, as the staff felt that they could not just make an episode about how bad they were.[22] Several of the staff are "pro gun" although others, such as Matt Groening, are very left wing and completely against them.[23] That said, the episode was designed to be unbiased and does portray each side of the argument equally.[24] Scully noted that if there is any message in the episode it's that a man like Homer should not own a gun.[22] The censors were nervous about some of the episode's subject matter, such as Homer pointing the gun in Marge's face, and Bart aiming the gun at Milhouse with the apple in his mouth, but ultimately let it go.[22]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Simpsons have made fun of everything imaginable at one point in time. They mock liberals as well portraying them as dumb pot smoking hippies. I wouldn't take offense to that episode. They mock everyone.

Simpson's ftw!
View Quote

When is the last time you watched it? 1999?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#19]
There was an episode where the town melts down all the guns and then they come under attack and they are all pissed off at the fact that they don't have any guns to defend themselves. That episode was pretty pro gun imo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There was an episode where the town melts down all the guns and then they come under attack and they are all pissed off at the fact that they don't have any guns to defend themselves. That episode was pretty pro gun imo.
View Quote

It was a Halloween special.  Kodos and Krang(?) invade once all the guns are gone.  Moe drives them out with a board with a nail in it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, this all sounds a bit more balanced--maybe i was reading a 'tone of voice' into your post that wasn't there to begin with.  the red, i think, is a good outlook--i won't buy leatherman products, for example.  but i don't get worked up over it.

WRT entertainment, pretty much everyone is liberal.  that's just the way it has always worked--the arts disproportionately attract liberals in any time period. when you watch a movie, it is fair to assume that the vast majority of the cast, crew, and production team are dyed-in-the-wool democrats.  and this goes back to the origin of the business, so there really isn't a time period--even during the 'golden age of film'--when you can feel confident that you're not contributing to the spread of liberalism.  not even eastwood movies.

so movies are out--you can't pay for them because it supports liberalism, and you can't pirate them because that would involve stealing.  TV?  same thing.  and watching shows on hulu or youtube is out, because those sited are monetized based on viewership.  no passive entertainment of any kind is permissible.  so what is the campaign contribution history of your ISP?

look--i'm not talking about where people choose to spend money.  that's their business entirely.  the phenomenon i'm getting at is specifically 'culture warriors": people who anxiously scan everything for encoded political messages, and then allow themselves to be emotionally controlled by these messages.

it was really, really funny to listen to a guy i know explain to me how the movie 'in time' was actually a propaganda piece with an encoded liberal agenda.  apparently, he had just figured this out.  i just laughed--of course it was a liberal point of view, and there was no encoding involved.  and my buddy actually freaked out that i wasn't upset by this.  how would getting upset benefit me?  not at all.  especially because i enjoyed the movie, and thought it made its point in an interesting way.  that's one of the major functions of the arts--to offer commentary on the human condition through a lens of unreality.  now, i can sit here and argue, point-for-point, the problems with how that argument was made by the filmmakers: the oversimplifications and ethical commitments.  but that's not what i want to do when i watch a movie.  i want to be entertained, and the movie accomplished that.

it's a bit like liberals who freak out that guns and violence are glorified in film.  it's a lot like feminists who get enraged about professional sports, which in their view glorifies the same competitive patriarchy that oppresses women.  no BS--many radical feminists believe the pro football represents violence against women.  and they make themselves miserable over it.

i think it comes down to exactly what you wrote--quality trumps all, even in the entertainment realm.  i'm going to enjoy quality entertainment (meaning that which entertains me), and i don't give a shit if it means that i put dollars into 'liberal pockets'.  because unlike most arfcommers during liberal administrations, political affiliation is not my baseline classification for other human beings.  some of my closest friends are liberals.  i think they're wrong about most things, and we argue all the fucking time.  but they're quality people who have a different point of view.  so when we're done going hammer and tongs at each other over gun rights and whether economic systems should be evaluated on distributional equity, we laugh, open another beer, and talk about other things.

if, in your view, this represents 'lack of willpower', then that's your view of the world, not mine.  the reason that i don't vote for contestants on 'american idol' is not because i lack willpower.  it's because i lack 'giving a shit'.  to put it in strict economic terms, a filmmaker puts out a product.  if i determine that the product is of sufficient quality, i'll buy it.  and that filmmaker is completely free to do whatever he wants to with what is now his money.  scientology creeps me out, but what tom cruise does with his money is his business.  'oblivion' entertained me--end of story.

quality trumps all.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

and she doesn't think Blazing Saddles is funny.
View Quote

and you married the woman?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Holy shit...

....Man speaks truth

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I finally understand why most ARFCOMMERS are single overweight men living in their moms basement. That is the only place they feel hasn't been over run by left wing libtards
Holy shit...

....Man speaks truth

Yeah, well, 13'er!

With your every laugh the communists take one step closer to complete victory. It's social engineering bought and paid for by the Left. You'll be smiling all the way into captivity with your network programming and high fructose corn syrup while the next generation is one more further removed from the ethic, culture, and morality that made this country great and one step closer to willing, blissful subjugation.

There once was a land called America.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I stopped watching the Simpsons right around 2000-2001
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That episode isn't exactly anti-gun.
View Quote

Yep. It's actually pretty even-handed. Note how horrified Homer's fellow NRA members are when they see how unsafe he is with guns. Also, the final scene with Marge putting the handgun inside her purse and walking confidently out into the sunrise isn't exactly Brady Campaign-approved.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It was a Halloween special.  Kodos and Krang(?) invade once all the guns are gone.  Moe drives them out with a board with a nail in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are thinking of a different episode.  The one Pauperis is mentioning is from Treehouse of Horrors XIII, winch can be construed as pro-gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_XIII
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Used to love the show.  It always was a little left leaning but mainly focused on being funny.  Now it just pushes leftist bullshit all the time.  Fuck them.  20 years ago the show would have made fun of Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga now the have them on and celebrate them.  Fuck The Simpsons and fuck Obama.
View Quote

I thought Edgar and Jonny Winters joke was pretty damn funny.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That episide is from back in the day when Conan O'brian was the producer. It is very pro-gun. Most of the episodes from back then were conservatively themed.

Now it's all liberal writers and hasn't been funny in years.
View Quote

That episode is from 1997; Conan had been gone for several years by then, to host his Late Night show.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#31]
That clip skipped one of the funniest parts of that scene..........

Tom Petty's "The waiting is the hardest part" being played in the background while Homer waits for the gun,
with everything and everyone passing by like a carnival shoot with crosshairs and bullseyes on them.

ETA

Found it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That episide is from back in the day when Conan O'brian was the producer. It is very pro-gun. Most of the episodes from back then were conservatively themed.

View Quote

Conan O'Brian is a conservative??

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Homer: Now, I believe you have some sort of firearm for me.

Gun Shop Owner: Well, let's see here.  According to your background check, you've been in a mental institution...

Homer: Yeah.

Gun Shop Owner: ...frequent problems with alcohol...

Homer: [laughs nervously] Yeah.

Gun Shop Owner: ...beat up President Bush!

Homer: Former President Bush.

[The owner slaps a red rubber stamper on Homer's printout.]

Homer: "Potentially dangerous"?!

Gun Shop Owner: Relax, that just limits you to three handguns or less.

Homer: Woo hoo!

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was originally trying to decide if that was sarcasm or if there's more than one Conan O'Brien.  Google-fu says it's the same guy.  Now I'm all confused.....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top