User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good shoot.

How does the driver get the same charge that the dead guy would get? Weird.

In Texas, if you are involved in an armed robbery, even if you are the getaway driver, all parties will be charged with Armed Robbery.

Yes,  I think just about everywhere in US, if you are part of a crime (look-out driver, etc), and someone gets killed because of the crime, all involved get charged with murder, as it should be).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Theif = owned.

Being perfectly honest here I think if cornered I'd rather have someone shooting at me then attacking me with a knife.

(theres a good chance your average criminal doesnt train with handguns and spend alot of time at the range shooting, so he might miss, if someone charges you with a knife and you cant run. Your gonna get cut.)

Anyone  here ever see what a knife can do? Much much more scarey then a gunshot wound. Even a few LEOs admited they're more scared of a knife in close quaters.

I cant CCW yet so I carry a good knife, I'd have to have no way to run or have a very good reason to ever attempt to use it though. Its strictly for SHTFish/ work purposes.
Im sure theres a few people here that CCW and think they can take someone with a knife at close ranges w/o any problems.

Get a airsoft gun and let a friend with eithers a marker or a rubber knife with paint or something on it and try out your training. You just might be supprised at the results, I know some trained people who tried this and 8 times out of 10 the knife wins in close range, esp if the gun is holstered.

Im not sayin everyone here would get pwned by a knife... But its worth trying out a bit so you can see just what would happen to you IRL.   Try it before you call me an idiot.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im not sayin everyone here would get pwned by a knife... But its worth trying out a bit so you can see just what would happen to you IRL.   Try it before you call me an idiot.

Of course, no one is calling anyone an idiot.

Knives are dangerous.  No doubt about it.  Inside 3 feet, they will do a lot of damage in a very short time frame.

But at Thunder Ranch, we shot at "movers", at 5 to 7 yards.  When the target started moving side to side, we had to draw and shoot.

No one had any trouble getting 2 to the center and one to the head in 2 seconds, after a little training.

No knife fighter is going to do any knife fighting with a .45 ACP going through his head and dumping his brains out the back.

Knives are dangerous.  No doubt about it.  As long as someone doesn't blow the knife fighter's brains out the back of his head.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Even when off duty our LEO's are getting vermin off the streets.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even when off duty our LEO's are getting vermin off the streets.

Let's hear it for Texas LEOs.

Hip, Hip, Harrah!!!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
KNIFEBOX 'O TRUTH!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
KNIFEBOX 'O TRUTH!

Hey, old buddy.

Are you volunteering?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
dont tell the bad guys...leave em in the dark
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Was this before or after the LEO got some IHOP?    

[Supertroopers] "I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy. " [/Supertroopers]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, no one is calling anyone an idiot.

Knives are dangerous.  No doubt about it.  Inside 3 feet, they will do a lot of damage in a very short time frame.

But at Thunder Ranch, we shot at "movers", at 5 to 7 yards.  When the target started moving side to side, we had to draw and shoot.

No one had any trouble getting 2 to the center and one to the head in 2 seconds, after a little training.

No knife fighter is going to do any knife fighting with a .45 ACP going through his head and dumping his brains out the back.

Knives are dangerous.  No doubt about it.  As long as someone doesn't blow the knife fighter's brains out the back of his head.

Sounds like an acceptable reason to practice shooting while moving both laterally and forward to back. I regularly practice shooting while backpedaling for this very purpose. I have seen what even an unskilled knifeman can do, and I want no part of it. Creating distance is your friend in nearly ALL situations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The last words of every robber should be "Hey, that's not your wallet!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sounds like an acceptable reason to practice shooting while moving both laterally and forward to back. I regularly practice shooting while backpedaling for this very purpose. I have seen what even an unskilled knifeman can do, and I want no part of it. Creating distance is your friend in nearly ALL situations.

Yep.

As Clint Smith points out, at close distances, luck can replace skill.  Distance is our friend.

If you're not moving, you ought to be reloading.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See sig line.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good shot.

Next.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your suppost to go up to the guy and ask him are you a sheep or a wolf?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As an aside, I have a buddy who has trained with Tarani. At seven yards or less, you will be dead before you draw your pistol.  Knives are no joke.

At 21 feet you can be on a man before he can draw down on you?

Don't think so!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

Thanks for a good topic OP.

ETA: I will treat a knife attack as an attack with a deadly weapon and respond accordingly.

As has been said knife to a gun fight....

It really does come down to situational awareness.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't think so!!

Bob

I can't, he can.  And it may be 35 feet.  This has been well established.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Better to try and kill the fuc&er. Great shot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Normally gun>knife. However, on a suprise draw... if it was Tarani or Ernie Emerson? They can do some pretty quick dissections. Bullet holes are a problem, but a knife across the neck/kidneys/spine is a bad way to go.

Lucky for us Canadians we have the police to protect us.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't think so!!

Bob

Didn't your mother buy you a trip to abiza or something so you wouldn't vote for Bush??

I remember that for some reason!  Didn't you shit away your vote for a trip to the Islands?

Don't tell me about people with knifes(I carry an old timer bone handle)and there is no way my folks could have bought my vote!!!!

We remember and know you JACK!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good shoot.

How does the driver get the same charge that the dead guy would get? Weird.

Most likely he'll end up getting charged for murder of his bud too.

Yup.....via felony murder statute for joint venture, conspiracy, accessory to attempted armed robbery.  

.....as I just read mace so eloquently explained on page 2
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Good shoot.  More BG's need to go DRT.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't think so!!

Bob

Didn't your mother buy you a trip to abiza or something so you wouldn't vote for Bush??

I remember that for some reason!  Didn't you shit away your vote for a trip to the Islands?

Don't tell me about people with knifes(I carry an old timer bone handle)and there is no way my folks could have bought my vote!!!!

We remember and know you JACK!!!

Bob

GET BACK IN YOUR LANE.  

You remember wrong and you have falsely accused me.  I did not, nor would I ever, sell my vote in any way.

Furthermore, I am correct on the issue of knives.  If you want to learn something, try it for yourself.  Better yet, find someone like my trained friend and rile him up, then see who wins.  Hint- be nice or he may emasculate you with the same blow that severs your femoral artery.  If you survive, expect to have taken maybe 60 units of blood (hope you aren't AB-) and don't expect to have a leg left.

Knives are no joke.  They have a higher fatality rate that handguns, and they are indeed quicker- especially when a fixed blade is carried in the waistband in front of the appendix.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been stabbed 3 times in fights and I managed to beat the person that stabbed me into a bloody mess 2 of those times. The people that I fought were not Steve Tarani, Mushashi or practiced Ninjitsu or even pirates. I gather that street robbers probably don't have the discipline to learn to become "one with the sword" or some other cool saying. Knives are effective and deadly in the right hands and circumstances, I think a firearm is MORE effective and MORE deadly in MORE circumstances than a knife. Knives require a tremendous amount of training and you are still likely to cut yourself with them on stabs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've been stabbed 3 times in fights and I managed to beat the person that stabbed me into a bloody mess 2 of those times. The people that I fought were not Steve Tarani, Mushashi or practiced Ninjitsu or even pirates. I gather that street robbers probably don't have the discipline to learn to become "one with the sword" or some other cool saying. Knives are effective and deadly in the right hands and circumstances, I think a firearm is MORE effective and MORE deadly in MORE circumstances than a knife. Knives require a tremendous amount of training and you are still likely to cut yourself with them on stabs.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you.  But they are effective, nontheless.  Read this page of this thread from another forum.

10-8 Thread
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#28]

(Picture sucks, but you get the point.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I did'nt faulsy acusse you,you did that(don't you remember posting about it?)

Quote you said it wouldn't have made any difference since I was in the Islands liveing it up!!  There are others that remember it  as well!!

You even mentioned that not voteing for Bush really didn't mean anything!!

Check back in time you will find that your past will find you!!

You sold your vote fore a trip to the Islands!!

I'm sure someone else has your post saved!    You sir are a phony!!!

At least when you turn 20 you will get way much smarter!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Bob, you lack the facts to make a coherent argument.  My New Year's resolution was to keep personal information out of the hands of those who have no need to know, nor a positive use for such information.  I can assure you that I was in this country for the elections, and that I voted, although I voted by absentee ballot from my living room.

So you may have assimilated enough of my comments to create a distorted version of reality, but I can assure you that you are very, very wrong, and that pursuing this will not, in any way, come out well for you.  Please cease posting in this thread.  If you must, call me out in the Pit and we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3718988.html

Off-duty deputy kills man who attempted to rob him

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

An off-duty Harris County sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man who tried to rob the deputy outside a restaurant early Sunday morning, the sheriff's office said.

The deputy was in the parking lot of an IHOP restaurant at 19989 Katy Freeway near Fry Road about 4:20 a.m. when 19-year-old Kristopher Brandon Moore of Katy drew a knife on the deputy, authorities said.

The 14-year veteran deputy assigned to the narcotics division drew his weapon and fired at Moore, killing him. The sheriff's office did not identify the deputy.

The office said another Katy man believed to be driving a getaway car was arrested.

Christopher Adam Herrera, 18, was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon.

If this had been in Calif, I think he could also be charged in connection with the death of the Moore.

In MOST states, he could be charged with 'Felony Murder', which is basically having anyone (including a fellow criminal) die in the commission or attempted commission of a felony crime...

Usually this is punished at the same level as 2nd degree homicide...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Bob, you lack the facts to make a coherent argument.  My New Year's resolution was to keep personal information out of the hands of those who have no need to know, nor a positive use for such information.  I can assure you that I was in this country for the elections, and that I voted, although I voted by absentee ballot from my living room.

So you may have assimilated enough of my comments to create a distorted version of reality, but I can assure you that you are very, very wrong, and that pursuing this will not, in any way, come out well for you.  Please cease posting in this thread.  If you must, call me out in the Pit and we'll see what happens.

You don't  scare me Jack truth is you voted for Kerry!  You can butterscotch in any way you want,but you openly admitted it!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It's a matter of where you're stabbed with the knife.  If it doesn't puncture your heart, lungs or a major blood vessel/vein or sever a major nerve, it's not really going to do much damage.  Same with bullets.  Wounds tend to close quite readily and plenty of people have received minor stab wounds that didn't require medical treatment.  With a uncomplicated stab wound to say, the calf, all that would really be necessary is a tetanus shot.  You'd only really need stitches if the wound wasn't closing/wasn't healing properly.  I actually stabbed myself accidently with a small Phillips-head screwdriver once through the web of my hand, the screwdriver went in one side and out the other side.  All I did was remove the screwdriver, clean the wound with peroxide, put a bandaid on it.  It took about 3 weeks to heal.  A lot of it depends on the blade configuration of the knife, too. Where were you stabbed and what kind of knife was it ?  Most advocates of knife self-defense advocate stabs to the neck as the most effective technique when lethal force is required, for good (obvious) reason.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Take it to the Pit.

No I think here is where it belongs,can you prove your lies here?

You posted that you changed your vote because your parents bought you a trip to the islands!

You say no?

I say check back or at least see if others remember such a thing!

Cause I didn't just pull this out of the air!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Take it to the Pit.

No I think here is where it belongs,can you prove your lies here?

You posted that you changed your vote because your parents bought you a trip to the islands!

You say no?

I say check back or at least see if others remember such a thing!

Cause I didn't just pull this out of the air!

Bob

I wouldn't bother messing around in the Pit anytime soon People are too likely to get themselves banned and it's just not the same old Pit anymore.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I voted for the Libertarians, and when I find myself confronted with this sort of stupidity, I wouldn't mind my IP being firewalled so much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I voted for the Libertarians, and when I find myself confronted with this sort of stupidity, I wouldn't mind my IP being firewalled so much.

This deal on the vote I have no knowledge of nor is it relavent to the topic.  However,  the fact remains the perp is dead and he was not killed with a knife.  

As to displays of stupidity why not tell us again knives are dangerious?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Tuller Drill
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Wow.  

Proof that ANY thread, no matter what the topic, can be efficiently derailed by ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Wow.  

Proof that ANY thread, no matter what the topic, can be efficiently derailed by ARFCOM.

Tell me about it.  I did what I could.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#42]
GOOD SHOOT, DEPUTY!

One less shitbag on the planet, one more shitbag in jail. Hoorah!

Doc
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This deal on the vote I have no knowledge of nor is it relavent to the topic.  However,  the fact remains the perp is dead and he was not killed with a knife.  

Don knives are dangerious,and guns are too!

But I quess these things need to be pointed out once and again!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don knives are dangerious,and guns are too!

But I quess these things need to be pointed out once and again!!

Bob

Ba-dum <crash>
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
4:20AM!  I have to wonder if the idiot was up real late, or up real early.

Either way he'd of been a lot better off just sleeping!

One dollar says he hadn't slept in two days.

Yup. Meth heads can tweak out something fierce and not sleep for days on end. If you are ever confronted by somebody strung out on meth who hasn't slept in 3 days, you had damn well better shoot first. They get violent and panicky after a couple of days of no sleep, and are literally a ticking time bomb.

If a meth tweaker pulls a knife on you, shoot early and shoot often.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top