User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
genie opener

buy new end of story. Transformers burn up usually from another issue. You can find a transformer, put it in and burn it up also.
View Quote

Piff, it could have been nothing more then a simple power surge. Transformers are the first thing to go in HVAC if you get a surge.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
sure but the OP didn't state anything else in the home was not operating.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Before you replace the transformer, check the capacitors for a short. Previous comment about something else taking out the transformer probably true. Common
cause of that is shorted capacitor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sure but the OP didn't state anything else in the home was not operating.
View Quote

Irrelevant. 35 people couldn't count on both hands how many times I've seen surges take out ONE device in a room/house full of devices.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Step Down Transformer - you mean a Go-Bot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds8j9UhmTPk
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Sequencer board on the opener is dead. It has a short on the 5VDC power supply chip output to ground. It's internal to the board and I cant trace it down. Ohh, well. I tried.

Good news is I found a Craftsman opener on craigslist for $25. Brand new house and homebuilder used a chain drive opener. It was switched out to a Chamberlain whisper drive one since it was right below the bedroom. Picking that up between today and Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
as i suspected. bad board will short out transformer in a heart beat.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top