Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone help school a non-watch guy...

How do these watches differ from just your $20 Timex?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Wow, that watch is as ugly as their glasses.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Why Casio is the brunt of such a meme in a world with Invictus and similar watches continues to be a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why Casio is the brunt of such a meme in a world with Invictus and similar watches continues to be a mystery to me.

Cuz its gots "G" in it, G.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Their level of awesomeness is directly proportional to their price tag.

A  $4,000 Rolex is exactly 200 times more awesome than a $20 Timex.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They look nicer, and the mechanical ones probably don't keep time as well.  They'll hold up better though.  I've never had a timex that was worth a replacement battery, they were all beaten to lawn mowing duty by then.

Some of it is strictly a jewelry-esque value system.  Part of it is the honest appreciation for the high level of craftsmanship necessary for a mechanical watch vs. a mass produced quartz movement.

Personally, I like watches in a similar way to my appreciation for guns.  Sure, one good one will fill my needs, but I want 'em all anyway.  I just love gadgets.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are we sure that's not a real chinese monstrosity that just happened to use the G-Shock name?

While it's funny, it's not funnier than some shit I've seen come from there that wasn't intended as a joke.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
G Shock  

1st post!

I will add that you can find the titanium g-shocks on ebay for about 150 or less. Nice watches and tough.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Does this cover it?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seiko SKX007... But  you will have to look a little at your price point.

this or the SKX781 "Orange Monster"

This

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we sure that's not a real chinese monstrosity that just happened to use the G-Shock name?

While it's funny, it's not funnier than some shit I've seen come from there that wasn't intended as a joke.

That was not a real watch.  What is real, is the repeated nonsense - on par with the comments about the Apple on button mouse and the exploding Glocks - to the effect that G-Shocks watches are ridiculously big.  In fact, they are well within the size range of most watches on the market, and the recent generation have actually gotten bigger to catch up to the fashion trend started by other brands.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quartz is Booooorrrriiinnnggggg

A lot of it is style and workmanship, then there is things like a preference for mechanicals (a maintained mechanical watch can last 100 years or more), smoother second hand movement is nice (one you won't realize matters till you own a mechanical watch, then you might start to dislike the once per second tick of a quartz) and durability (sapphire glass is darn near unscratchable). They all tell time, but only ever buying things with all empahisis on function and none on form is no fun.

Boring

Not boring (IMO)
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was not a real watch.  What is real, is the repeated nonsense - on par with the comments about the Apple on button mouse and the exploding Glocks - to the effect that G-Shocks watches are ridiculously big.  In fact, they are well within the size range of most watches on the market, and the recent generation have actually gotten bigger to catch up to the fashion trend started by other brands.

Wearing daddy's watch is still the trend I think, though it's slowing thankfully.

I think the pilots are next in line.  It'd be nice.  The daddy's watch thing is silly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wearing daddy's watch is still the trend I think, though it's slowing thankfully.

I think the pilots are next in line.  It'd be nice.  The daddy's watch thing is silly.

What's wrong with pilots? ones of reasonable size are a nice look.

I'm waiting for the Maratac Mid size to come back in stock

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I worded that badly.  Meant that I think the pilots are the next big trend, hopefully with the demise of the big monsters.

I like pilots too. This is mine, though not my photo:
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Casio Pathfinder and G-Shock variants are tough and relatively slim.

I had a casio attached to my goggle band on my hardhat.  Worked 7/12's for three months on an excavator loading a pugmill with filter cake (level C respirator PPE) the air was thick with cement kiln dust and lime dust.  Job was done , pulled the watch off 3 months later.  The hard hat originally was white.  It was now brownish and it had a whiteoutline of where the watch sat.  Still tickin.  They are toughhhhhh.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worded that badly.  Meant that I think the pilots are the next big trend, hopefully with the demise of the big monsters.

I like pilots too. This is mine, though not my photo:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f29/177245d1239578639-fs-doxa-yukon-pilot-dyp009x.jpg

Ahhh ok.  I also agree, 45mm+ watches are just silly. Fleigers and Divers can get away with being on the larger side of things but when I see a 46mm "dress" watch I just cringe. IMO "dress" stops at 38mm or so unless you just have huge wrists. I may be in the prime demographic for gigantor watches (25 year old male) but I'd much rather have something like the Nomos Tangente (35x6.6mm)

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm surprised nobody suggested the Citizen Eco-Drive.

Solar quartz.  The perpetual calendar models in particular I find neat.  Set it and forget it for everything but DST changes for the next few decades, though setting them can be a trick. I've got a loud orange one that I don't think is sold anymore, but there's plenty in your price range I would think.

Citizen BN0000-04H

Mine has survived 11 years of sailing, diving, mountain biking, construction job sites and general shenanigans so far.  I wouldn't hesitate to get another if mine sprouted legs and walked.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Helson does some nice dive watches under1000. I don't know what he did to his website but just google image Helson watches.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I absolutely love my G Shock (atomic/solar).  Tough as hell.

If I was in the market for an analog, I would definitely look at the Seiko Orange Monster.  I'll end up with one eventually.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just changed my choice from the SKX007 to the SKX171. I like the black on black date vs the 007... But I like the bezel better on the 007... So I'm already planning on switching out the bezel.

Any experiences with the 171's?

I believe they are same movement, no problems with a 7s26 movement, good to go.

The black on white date, IMO, is easier to read. My 2 cents. Either watch will serve you well.

There are Seiko autos out there that have been chugging along for well over 40 years.

MPD165
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Citizen Eco-drives are awesome.    
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#26]

I like this version better...

SNZG09J1
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Vostok Amphibian
200m waterproof, fully mechanical automatic ,solid stainless, many dial designs, several  bezels and cases to pick from, @$80

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top