Quoted:
Who did you vote for?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So here's a logic question, then:

If a person has had success with a procedure in the past, why would they seek to overhaul the procedure for no appreciable gain if the end-result is to be the same?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounds like you are looking for the kind of people who will not be applying for the kind of jobs you have.

This is not my first rodeo.  Logic based questions on job applications have proved their value to me before in the same industry.

Perhaps your expectations or perception of a server's level of common sense is a little on the derogatory side?

So here's a logic question, then:

If a person has had success with a procedure in the past, why would they seek to overhaul the procedure for no appreciable gain if the end-result is to be the same?

Go back and read original post.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What's the answer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You walk into the pub and see this:

1) two angry male customers squaring off yelling in each other's faces about to mix it up

2) full pitcher of beer spilled on the tile floor at the front door.

3) phone is ringing at bar

4) bartender cut his hand and is bleeding

Prioritize these in the order in which you'd deal with them and state what you would do for each and why.

What's the answer?

If you're the owner/manager, that's probably something you should know what to do first, and why.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
  Go back and read original post.  
View Quote

I did.  It still does not answer the question.  They will either be logical and get the answer, or they won't and you won't hire them.

If your hold-up is "well those questions are played out and they'll know the answer," you're sweating it too much.  I'm in a profession where logic is paramount and logic questions are bandied around interviews a lot and I haven't seen those before.  It's extremely unlikely that the kinds of people applying for the jobs you're offering at the likely payscale you're offering will have heard these questions before.  So again: why waste time and resources coming up with something that will not change your desired outcome?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's the answer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) two angry male customers squaring off yelling in each other's faces about to mix it up

Prioritize these in the order in which you'd deal with them and state what you would do for each and why.

What's the answer?

Pick up the phone and two towels. As you walk towards the bloodied worker hang up on the person calling, dial 911 and ask for police and an ambulance.  Conduct a drive-by drop of a towel over the beer, yell at the two douche bags that the cops are on their way... and hand the bloodied worker the other to wrap his hand. The end.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes it can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't try to reinvent the wheel on this one.  You have enough problems.  Ask a few customer service scenarios, make sure they are positive people and will be advocates and future managers as your business grows.

Wheel is not being reinvented.  

Customer service and processes can be taught.  Logic cannot.

Yes it can.

I didn't want to point out it is an actual high school/college course
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Trust me you are, from a person who has helped launch a couple of successful places, as well as a few other major business ventures.  

Attitude, energy,   and willingness to learn and become better cannot be taught.  GM for our cleaning company was paid almost 200k last year and she has a ninth grade education, but an insatiable desire to make herself better and literally, you could burn her house down and she would make you think she is having the best day ever.  Asking a few common sense scenario based questions, I believe is what you are looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't try to reinvent the wheel on this one.  You have enough problems.  Ask a few customer service scenarios, make sure they are positive people and will be advocates and future managers as your business grows.

Trust me you are, from a person who has helped launch a couple of successful places, as well as a few other major business ventures.  

Attitude, energy,   and willingness to learn and become better cannot be taught.  GM for our cleaning company was paid almost 200k last year and she has a ninth grade education, but an insatiable desire to make herself better and literally, you could burn her house down and she would make you think she is having the best day ever.  Asking a few common sense scenario based questions, I believe is what you are looking for.

This guy knows what he's talking about.  It's a bar, stop being stubborn and stop over thinking it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fuck it, I am semi retired and can do whatever I want at 31 whenever I want, just passed 310 employees, but what the fuck do I know about this stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've already told you, that's not what I'm looking for.

Fuck it, I am semi retired and can do whatever I want at 31 whenever I want, just passed 310 employees, but what the fuck do I know about this stuff.
Well you piqued my interest, but maybe this isn't the appropriate thread to ask what you do.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Logic for a cook in a brew pub?

Did you ever work in such a place?

Here are some bar/restaurant kitchen logic problems:

You notice that the busboy's work quality has deteriorated in the last few weeks. You suspect that he is abusing drugs. What should you do?
A) Tell the manager.
B) Ignore it.
C) Wait until he's really stoned and make him take out a leaky trash bag so you can laugh at him.
D) Steal his pot.

The waitress gives you a fifty dollar bill and tells you that a customer said you made the best meal he's ever had, so it's a tip. You should:
A) Thank the customer and offer to share the tip with the waitress and the bartender.
B) Spend it on liquor.
C) Spend it on liquor and pot.
D) You already spent your paycheck on liquor and pot, so you lose the fifty dollar bill and blame it on Mexicans.

You do not have enough money to pay your rent because you spent your paychecks on liquor and pot. What is the best way to deal with this problem?
A) Stop spending all your paychecks on liquor and pot.
B) Get a second job so you can afford to buy liquor and pot.
C) Borrow some money from your coworkers.
D) Steal a pile of hamburgers and sell them in your new restaurant in your section eight apartment.

The bartender tells you that customers are complaining because their food is undercooked. What should you do?
A) Cook their food properly.
B) Blame someone else.
C) Turn the oven up to five hundred and fifty degrees and see if those ungrateful assholes bitch about it now.
D) Chase the bartender around a table with a meat cleaver until the police come.

Anyone who answered all As lied to you about his experience.
Anyone who answered all Ds is an experienced cook and is exactly what you're going to get.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you recline your seat on an airplane?

Why or why not?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Why are manhole covers round?

From Wikipedia:

The question of why manhole covers are typically round (in some countries) was made famous by Microsoft when they began asking it as a job interview question.  Originally meant as a psychological assessment of how one approaches a question with more than one correct answer, the problem has produced a number of alternate explanations, from the tautological ("Manhole covers are round because manholes are round.") to the philosophical.

Reasons for the shape include:

• A round manhole cover cannot fall through its circular opening, whereas a square manhole cover may fall in if it were inserted diagonally in the hole. The existence of a "lip" holding up the lid means that the underlying hole is smaller than the cover, so that other shapes might suffice. (A Reuleaux triangle or other curve of constant width would also serve this purpose, but round covers are much easier to manufacture.)

• Round tubes are the strongest and most material-efficient shape against the compression of the earth around them, and so it is natural that the cover of a round tube assume a circular shape.

• A round manhole cover has a smaller surface than a square one, thus less material is needed to cast the manhole cover, meaning lower cost.

• The bearing surfaces of manhole frames and covers are machined to assure flatness and prevent them from becoming dislodged by traffic. Round castings are much easier to machine using a lathe.

• Circular covers do not need to be rotated to align with the manhole.

• A round manhole cover can be more easily moved by being rolled.

• A round manhole cover can be easily locked in place with a quarter turn (as is done in countries like France). They are then hard to open without a special tool. Also then they do not have to be made so heavy, because traffic passing over them cannot lift them up by suction.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

From Wikipedia:

The question of why manhole covers are typically round (in some countries) was made famous by Microsoft when they began asking it as a job interview question.  Originally meant as a psychological assessment of how one approaches a question with more than one correct answer, the problem has produced a number of alternate explanations, from the tautological ("Manhole covers are round because manholes are round.") to the philosophical.

• A round manhole cover cannot fall through its circular opening, whereas a square manhole cover may fall in if it were inserted diagonally in the hole. The existence of a "lip" holding up the lid means that the underlying hole is smaller than the cover, so that other shapes might suffice. (A Reuleaux triangle or other curve of constant width would also serve this purpose, but round covers are much easier to manufacture.)

• Round tubes are the strongest and most material-efficient shape against the compression of the earth around them, and so it is natural that the cover of a round tube assume a circular shape.

• A round manhole cover has a smaller surface than a square one, thus less material is needed to cast the manhole cover, meaning lower cost.

• The bearing surfaces of manhole frames and covers are machined to assure flatness and prevent them from becoming dislodged by traffic. Round castings are much easier to machine using a lathe.

• A round manhole cover can be easily locked in place with a quarter turn (as is done in countries like France). They are then hard to open without a special tool. Also then they do not have to be made so heavy, because traffic passing over them cannot lift them up by suction.

That was actually one we used previously.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why or why not?
View Quote

Epic.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well you piqued my interest, but maybe this isn't the appropriate thread to ask what you do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Appropriate a thread as any.  I'm curious as well.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

From Wikipedia:

Because the manholes they cover are round.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it can.

As an individual that has taken Informal Logic I can say that there is a distinct difference between "common sense logic" in the sense of performing a set of tasks in a logical order and "logic" as it pertains to informal logic.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#17]

So, where's this joint gonna be located?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
There are 3 lights in an adjacent room and 3 light switches in your current room.  You need to determine which switch controls which light but once you leave the room you cannot return.  How do you do it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Why are manhole  covers round?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

kinda curious about this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no correct answer. The question is about what you do and why.

My answer would be to check on the injured bartender first as his injuries could be life threatening or need immediate attention. Make sure he’s not losing a dangerous amount of blood, apply basic first aid,  and arrange to get him medical care.

Then you take steps to deal with the altercation, if possible. “Gentlemen, please calm down or take your quarrel off of the property. Otherwise, I will have to call the police.”

Then you get the spilled beer cleaned up since that is a hazard to customers.

Getting the phone is last because a missed call is nowhere near as bad as the possible consequences of the other three things.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There are 3 lights in an adjacent room and 3 light switches in your current room.  You need to determine which switch controls which light but once you leave the room you cannot return.  How do you do it?
View Quote

Cut a hole in the wall and peek through whilst flipping the switches on and off.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My answer would be to check on the injured bartender first as his injuries could be life threatening or need immediate attention. Make sure he’s not losing a dangerous amount of blood, apply basic first aid,  and arrange to get him medical care.

Then you take steps to deal with the altercation, if possible. "Gentlemen, please calm down or take your quarrel off of the property. Otherwise, I will have to call the police.”

Getting the phone is last because a missed call is nowhere near as bad as the possible consequences of the other three things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you take steps to deal with the altercation, if possible. "Gentlemen, please calm down or take your quarrel off of the property. Otherwise, I will have to call the police.”

This is incorrect, my mom taught me that NOTHING is allowed to happen during a phone conversation, so as long as you are on the phone everything is all good.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Why or why not?
View Quote
<edmundhillary>Because I can</edmundhillary>

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Cut a hole in the wall and peek through whilst flipping the switches on and off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  Well in the sense of this thread, not hired.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well sent him a pm lol.  Basically I have been involved in logistics, food delivery, marketing, real estate, cleaning, etc.  I believe that with a few core competences a business can flourish in any field.  Almost all of the fields I have ventured into my first few employees and/or partners knew how to operate within the field better than I did! but I knew what it took to run a business if that makes sense.  My core tenants have always been take care of your customers and your employees, profits will follow.  The business owner/management side comes with understanding finance, core competency, target market, etc.  I see too many people good at what they do fail miserably on the business side of things because they forget the basics.

Eta:  I understand you are just trying to get the best employees, from experience I just advocate finding people with a customer oriented personality and attitude easier to train and to help a business grow than any other type of employee which is why I used the example of my "uneducated General Manager" before.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Logic for a cook in a brew pub?

Did you ever work in such a place?

Here are some bar/restaurant kitchen logic problems:

You notice that the busboy's work quality has deteriorated in the last few weeks. You suspect that he is abusing drugs. What should you do?

A) Tell the manager.

B) Ignore it.

C) Wait until he's really stoned and make him take out a leaky trash bag so you can laugh at him.

D) Steal his pot.

The waitress gives you a fifty dollar bill and tells you that a customer said you made the best meal he's ever had, so it's a tip. You should:

A) Thank the customer and offer to share the tip with the waitress and the bartender.

B) Spend it on liquor.

C) Spend it on liquor and pot.

D) You already spent your paycheck on liquor and pot, so you lose the fifty dollar bill and blame it on Mexicans.

You do not have enough money to pay your rent because you spent your paychecks on liquor and pot. What is the best way to deal with this problem?

A) Stop spending all your paychecks on liquor and pot.

B) Get a second job so you can afford to buy liquor and pot.

C) Borrow some money from your coworkers.

D) Steal a pile of hamburgers and sell them in your new restaurant in your section eight apartment.

The bartender tells you that customers are complaining because their food is undercooked. What should you do?

A) Cook their food properly.

B) Blame someone else.

C) Turn the oven up to five hundred and fifty degrees and see if those ungrateful assholes bitch about it now.

D) Chase the bartender around a table with a meat cleaver until the police come.

Anyone who answered all As lied to you about his experience.

Anyone who answered all Ds is an experienced cook and is exactly what you're going to get.

View Quote

I suppose it might be a little obscure, to those who've never worked in a restaurant, of why a little common sense/logic is critical in the restaurant biz.  There seems to be quite a few people in this thread that equate common sense to genius which is just not the case.

In the middle of rush when a server has 8 things going on simultaneously or a line cook's printer is spewing out orders incessantly, one quickly realizes that there are two types of people in this biz.  Those that are constantly prioritizing, consolidating, and expediting their workload and those that just drown because they do not know how to logically solve the problem that is their workload.  

IMO, efficiency is the purest form of common sense.    

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
you have an enclosed room.

you have a refrigerator running, with the door open.

does the room get warmer or cooler?
View Quote

neither. a fridge draws heat away from whats inside.

having the door open wont affect the outside
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can tell you've never worked in a restaurant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm about ready to hire some servers and cooks for a brewpub that I'm opening.

I'm creating my own job application for applicants to come fill out at our place.  I only have room for 4-5 employees to start and want to pick the ones with the best sense of logic.  

All the ones I know seem to be played out like the tiger/goat/lettuce dilemma, three prisoners buried with different color hats, two brothers at a fork in the road, etc.

Da fuck?    What is this, a brewpub for Engineers?

You could give them a little logic problem related to beer or something.

"Regular A arrives every weeknight and has a pint of IPA.  Regular B comes every Friday and has three pints of stout.  Regular C attends three or four nights a week and will drink anything but stout..."

But really?  Logic for servers at a bar?  I'd think that would not be super high on the list of required skills...

etc.

I agree with the other guy.  My dad, before he passed, retired 1 star from the airforce.  he was on the program dev. team that developed Navstar( which, to the noobs..is the great great great grandfather of gps)
..among other things.

he was full of logic.  but he couldnt write simple paragraph to save his life.

i agree with the person who suggested make it work themed..
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]
On the beer spill/cut bartender/fight/phone question, I'd get the bartender supplies to pressure the wound, clean the spill while yelling at the 2 fucktards who are about to have a bro down, and ignore the phone.  They can call back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
  I suppose it might be a little obscure, to those who've never worked in a restaurant, of why a little common sense/logic is critical in the restaurant biz.  There seems to be quite a few people in this thread that equate common sense to genius which is just not the case.

In the middle of rush when a server has 8 things going on simultaneously or a line cook's printer is spewing out orders incessantly, one quickly realizes that there are two types of people in this biz.  Those that are constantly prioritizing, consolidating, and expediting their workload and those that just drown because they do not know how to logically solve the problem that is their workload.  

View Quote

Common sense and logic are different beasts.  Had you asked for common sense questions, the answers would have been much different.

Instead, you asked for logic questions, which are a different beast altogether.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Common sense and logic are different beasts.  Had you asked for common sense questions, the answers would have been much different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that you think logic only has one meaning...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

flip one switch..leave it on 3 mins.
flip another switch, leave it on for 30 secs
dont flip the third.

touch the bulbs..hotest one is #1  warm is 2  cold is 3

thats an old one
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well sent him a pm lol.  Basically I have been involved in logistics, food delivery, marketing, real estate, cleaning, etc.  I believe that with a few core competences a business can flourish in any field.  Almost all of the fields I have ventured into my first few employees and/or partners knew how to operate within the field better than I did! but I knew what it took to run a business if that makes sense.  My core tenants have always been take care of your customers and your employees, profits will follow.  The business owner/management side comes with understanding finance, core competency, target market, etc.  I see too many people good at what they do fail miserably on the business side of things because they forget the basics.

Eta:  I understand you are just trying to get the best employees, from experience I just advocate finding people with a customer oriented personality and attitude easier to train and to help a business grow than any other type of employee which is why I used the example of my "uneducated General Manager" before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with everything you are saying.  Our employment strategies are nearly the same, except mine is that if you take care of your employees, your customers will be taken care of.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one

Winner.  I'd never heard it before I got asked that in an interview once.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one

That's a good one.  I probably wouldn't have gotten it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What if her gut touches at the same time as her boobs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're looking for some female servers, have her face the wall and stand next to it.

If her boobs touch the wall before her toes, she's got the job.

What if her gut touches at the same time as her boobs?

Then she's pregnant
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one

yeah not sure when i hear the answer.   actually may have been a riddle book a number of years ago.   its a good one
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one

sooooo  am i hired?  ;)
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
sooooo  am i hired?  ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont flip the third.
thats an old one

sooooo  am i hired?  ;)

Turn around and step towards the wall...

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who did you vote for?

I really wish I could.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.  no

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
sooooo  am i hired?  ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont flip the third.

thats an old one

sooooo  am i hired?  ;)

You butchered the refrigerator question.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh I'll bite. First things first cover my ass at the front door. Assign an employee to stand over the spill and keep any one from coming or going until the spill has been cleaned.

Secondly attended to the two patrons. Find a way to resolve the issue. And lasty kindy ask the bartender in a caulm but stern voice what the fuck were they thinking followed by some useful advise such as "pay the fuck attention next time" then once everything was under control I'd sit down and have a Coke.

Did I get the job?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Can you count change without a register/calculator?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm creating my own job application for applicants to come fill out at our place.  I only have room for 4-5 employees to start and want to pick the ones with the best sense of logic.  

All the ones I know seem to be played out like the tiger/goat/lettuce dilemma, three prisoners buried with different color hats, two brothers at a fork in the road, etc.

Can you count change without a register/calculator?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

A couple opportunities to demonstrate the ability to count change back would be in order. Set a drawer in front of them, give them a sales price and a couple bills in tender. Make them count your change back without using a calculator. Most people can't start at the sales price and count up to the tender amount.

Be damn careful what you ask! There are things that are illegal to ask, like "Are you married?" If you aren't current on what is taboo to ask...find out before you start interviewing people.

I always have a 3rd person sit in on an interview as a witness that I did nothing untoward. It's amazing the number of scammers and lawsuit hunters there are these days.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Regular A arrives every weeknight and has a pint of IPA.  Regular B comes every Friday and has three pints of stout.  Regular C attends three or four nights a week and will drink anything but stout..."

But really?  Logic for servers at a bar?  I'd think that would not be super high on the list of required skills...

etc.

The situation explained in OP is DERP
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Your hiring cooks and servers, why the big hard on for logical geniuses?
View Quote

Because he's convinced himself that this is some magical criteria that sorts the good employees from the bad ones.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Meh, too easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, too easy.

you would be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

etc.

Actually, there are two basic types of employees. Those that learn by 'rote' and repitition, and those that learn by reason.

I would much rather have employees who have the ability to process tasking via cognitive deduction and who understand why they are doing what they are doing....as opposed to people who only know one way to perform a task "because that's how they were taught."

You really believe the OP is wrong for searching out employees with the ability to think - over just hiring robots?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Toss bartender a towel. He wraps his hand with it, and answers the phone, gripping it tightly to apply pressure to his cut.  I then yell at the two patrons "  Which one of you dumbasses committed all this alcohol abuse?"  While pointing at the spilled beer.  Patrons immediately go into defensive postures, and return to their friends, embarassed that the rest of teh bar thinks they spilled an entire pitcher.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Here you go:

"Why the fuck would anyone want to put up with this managerial bullshit for minimum or waiter's wages?"

I think you know the answer to that one...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top