Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
A few comments

You can't have 666 for your chip I already applied for it.

Machine readable means card swipe.

Yeah I think that was a piece of the sky falling but I couldn't see that well from the glare.  Somebody needs to tell the noobs that you wear your tin foil shiny side IN.

Speaking of noobs, you notice that with only a few exceptions the lower the post count the more hysterical  the  post.

Son of a gun, my military ID card, my old drivers license and all the stuff I've done before is more than enough to be used to find me, so I aint worried.

Then again,  I fully intend to be on the rounding up side, soon aI get my tin foil detector calibrated, I'll be ready to be recalled. and go back to work
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/osprey21/666.jpg

I guess they're just gonna have to kill me.......  

Soylent green.......... is people!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A few comments

Yeah I think that was a piece of the sky falling but I couldn't see that well from the glare.  Somebody needs to tell the noobs that you wear your tin foil shiny side IN.

Speaking of noobs, you notice that with only a few exceptions the lower the post count the more hysterical  the  post.

Son of a gun, my military ID card, my old drivers license and all the stuff I've done before is more than enough to be used to find me, so I aint worried.

Then again,  I fully intend to be on the rounding up side, soon aI get my tin foil detector calibrated, I'll be ready to be recalled. and go back to work

You sure about that? Prove it to me. I don't see anywhere in the text of the bill where it explains what machine readable means. It merely seems to me that it has to be able to be read by machine. That could mean anything from punch card with hanging chads to RFID. Either way, the Secretary of Transportation and the Secretary of Homeland Security have the final say on what is acceptable, and they haven't said what exactly is acceptable yet.

And that's exactly the point. If the law is that vague, that a layman like me can misinterpret it (assuming I AM misinterpreting it), what do you think lawyers are going to do with that law? Look at how they already misinterpret the 2nd. If it meant card swipe, it would have said card swipe. It doesn't.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
REAL ID act also funds the completion of the US/Mex border fence in cali, stops groups like the coastal Commision and Sierra Club from stopping it's construction is court, makes immigrants drivers license expire on the same date as their immigration visas, and prohibits the 11 states that give drivers licenses from illegals from continuing to do so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Won't it stop alot of the illegal aliens from operating within our borders?

It will stop them from flying on comercial airline flights.  it will stop them from getting authentic drivers licenses in their fake identities. it will take away the drivers licenses of immigrants who overstay thier visas.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is nothing compared to what they are going to want to do after Real ID "doesnt work."

Bingo....  Foot is in the door now.  Give it time.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It will stop them from flying on comercial airline flights.  it will stop them from getting authentic drivers licenses in their fake identities. it will take away the drivers licenses of immigrants who overstay thier visas.

Really?  Will they poof out of existance with the stroke of Bush's pen?  Or might they go on living here illegally but pay for fake ID that they will CERTIANLY be able to obtain, just like before?

Card programmers and RFID equipment does not disintegrate outside the confines of a government office.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever...we've had a "National ID" for decades...it's called the Social Security Number...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whatever...we've had a "National ID" for decades...it's called the Social Security Number...

Assualt weapons ban... Dont Worry...

We have had gun control for decades...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Will they poof out of existance with the stroke of Bush's pen?  Or might they go on living here illegally but pay for fake ID that they will CERTIANLY be able to obtain, just like before?  

Currently they have AUTHENTIC drivers licenses in fake names. States like Washington and Oregon need to pull their heads out of their asses and quit handing out drivers licenses to anyone with twelve bucks to spare.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you think this has crossed the national governments mind  "Why do we need State Laws anyway"?

Because the 10th amend restricts them as it is anyway which they ignore.  So why even have state laws lets just have Federal.

makes sense to me
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, say it does.  Is anyone planning on busting them?

Haven't seen it yet!  What I see is a whole class of citizens who get to drive without licenses or insurance and no hassles for deporting them is too big a hassle and not PC.  

Tell my I'm wrong

Local cops ticket illegals every day.  But becuase 11 states give them drivers licenses under assumed names, they just never show up in court and get a new drivers license in another assumed identity following every citation.  When you take away those authentic licenses in assumed names, they they need to be booked into jail and fingerprinted/photographed instead of being cited and released.  So they build a criminal record in their TRUE identity.  eventually the charges stack up and INS places a hold on them.  Additionaly, their fingerprints are then on file for solving future burglaries.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Currently they have AUTHENTIC drivers licenses in fake names. States like Washington and Oregon need to pull their heads out of their asses and quit handing out drivers licenses to anyone with twelve bucks to spare.

I'll give you that.  There are states that give you a license for the asking.  Then again they are supposed to be licenses to drive cars, not super duper federal ID cards.  

It's not going to stop illegals because they will have fake IDs, and a little money can produce one that will work for 98% of what they need.  The rest of us just get a little more Uncle Sam in our state law.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
No big deal.

Weve been getting new federal laws for centuries.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Would a national registry of Fire Arms be a good idea, using the bases of National ID being a good idea?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't understand all the complaining about this National ID bill. Won't it stop alot of the illegal aliens from operating within our borders?

We simply HAVE to get a tongue-in-cheek avatar.

Hit and run leaves
lots of questions
By GEORGE JONES
Staff Writer
A hit-and-run accident, just before noon Monday on Baltimore Avenue near the Willow Creek Apartments in Albertville, left an unidentified young boy about 10-12 years of age seriously injured.
According to investigating officers, the boy was struck while riding his bicycle on Baltimore Avenue. The Hispanic male, who is believed to be the driver, also unidentified as of press time, fled the scene after striking the boy.
According to Police Chief Benny Womack, the assistance of several citizens aided in capturing the suspect near U.S. Highway 431 and Adams Drive.
Investigating officers discovered the driver had no driver’s license, insurance or identification of any kind at the time of his arrest. According to an officer at the scene, a female passenger, believed to be the driver’s wife, also had no identification. Neither she nor the driver appeared to speak English, making the investigation difficult.
The young victim was air-evacuated to Huntsville Hospital from the old Food World parking lot. The boy’s condition and identity was unavailable at press time Monday.

We have 2 things in great abundance here- meth and Mexicans (also Guatamalans, but that lacks the assonance). They will simply use their forged documents to obtain the real deal. My state rep and senator are bought and paid for by Tysons. Our Lt Gov. recently professed ignorance of any problem with illegal immigration. I am literally praying every day that she shows up here in the next election so I can ask her about this assinine statment. I have it on tape and will play it back for her. Tac, those in power WANT this situation. Our only hope is the next Cessna causes a few of them to keep runnin'. It's the only way we'll ever get rid of them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Would a national registry of Fire Arms be a good idea, using the bases of National ID being a good idea?

Must we always descend into this illogical frame of reference.

Firearms are inanimate objects people are not. Firearms can do nothing on their own.

Apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
link

I guess we will have to start carrying our "Papers".

In a 100-0 vote, the U.S. Senate passed the 2nd largest supplemental spending bill in the history of the nation.  If that were not enough reason to question the common sense of our legislators, the Republican and Democrat leaders also passed the Real ID Act which was hidden within the spending bill.

With the passing of the bill, states will have to abide by federal standards for providing driver's licenses and I.D. cards to citizens.  States will also have to link their citizen databases to federal systems in order obtain funding for the program.  

Driver's licenses issued by states not fulfilling federal requirements will not be accepted by any federal agency.  What does that matter?  Here are a few scenarios that may occur if your state were to not fulfill the new federal obligations:

Flying to see a relative in another state?  Don’t forget your papers:   Domestic travelers could not pass through airport security checkpoints without a passport or a "Real" I.D. card.  
Want to serve your country? Apply for a passport first:  Prospective military enlistees could not meet identification requirements with only state issued identification.
Want to get a job? Not without federal documentation:  The INS I-9 form is a required document for all U.S. workers.  Section Two of the form requires identification to be examined by the employer.  As no federal agency will accept "old" driver's licenses, your I.D. would no longer be valid.  Be sure to bring your passport along to your next job interview.

Aside from the authoritarian restrictions that will be implemented within the next three years (the bill is to be fully implemented by May 2008 as it has been signed into law by President George W. Bush), there are many other consequences of the bill.

The forthcoming database sharing will now put U.S. citizens in the same class as criminals.  While the Social Security Administration tracks names and employment data, the federal government will now have access to at least your physical description, disabilities, and your photo.  In the past, this level of detail was only offered to the federal government within criminal databases.

If you are comfortable with the above, please take the time today to send a "thank you" note to your Republican or Democrat senators.  Be sure to let them know that you enjoy having your personal freedom and privacy stolen.  Otherwise, choose to support the Libertarian Party, which will continue to follow principle and fight for your individual liberty.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
so how is canada this time of year?

Without machineguns as usual...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, say it does.  Is anyone planning on busting them?

Haven't seen it yet!  What I see is a whole class of citizens who get to drive without licenses or insurance and no hassles for deporting them is too big a hassle and not PC.  

Tell my I'm wrong

Local cops ticket illegals every day.  But becuase 11 states give them drivers licenses under assumed names, they just never show up in court and get a new drivers license in another assumed identity following every citation.  When you take away those authentic licenses in assumed names, they they need to be booked into jail and fingerprinted/photographed instead of being cited and released.  So they build a criminal record in their TRUE identity.  eventually the charges stack up and INS places a hold on them.  Additionaly, their fingerprints are then on file for solving future burglaries.

Gee, I'm sorry asked bud.  The reality of your answer was quite depressing. I don't think I cared to know that.

I police an illegal immigrant community.  I have seen first hand how the federal govt simply does not care to enforce the border.  The way i see the REAL ID act, its a stealth piece of legislation, written by those who realize the feds will never crack down on illegals. the real goal of REAL ID is to enable local cops to bring illegals into the criminal justice system as a way of forcing the federal govt to take them. it absolutely will enable me to lock up more illegals.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?! I thought machineguns were A-Okay in Canada, but they had mag restrictions?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't worry.  For a $25 fee you can get a chip in your hand, so when the bill is updated, you will be good to go.

Seriously, it won't be long until the fed database will have access to medical information or information on firearm ownership.

But at least this stops illegal immigration...oh wait...

Congress really fucked the dog on this one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A few comments

You sure about that? Prove it to me. I don't see anywhere in the text of the bill where it explains what machine readable means. It merely seems to me that it has to be able to be read by machine. That could mean anything from punch card with hanging chads to RFID. Either way, the Secretary of Transportation and the Secretary of Homeland Security have the final say on what is acceptable, and they haven't said what exactly is acceptable yet.

And that's exactly the point. If the law is that vague, that a layman like me can misinterpret it (assuming I AM misinterpreting it), what do you think lawyers are going to do with that law? Look at how they already misinterpret the 2nd. If it meant card swipe, it would have said card swipe. It doesn't.

"The law states, in effect, that in May 2008 (three years after passage), Americans will need to get a federally approved ID card. These new ID cards must have "machine readable" technology built into them, as described by the Department of Homeland Security. The new ID cards will be required for Americans to board a plane or train, open a bank account or enter federal buildings."

"In most cases, this national ID will come in the form of your state driver's license. This is not surprising. Driver's licenses have been evolving in to de facto ID cards for a long time. We use them to prove our age and identity when purchasing alcohol or tobacco. We use them at airport security checks. Under the new law, driver's licenses will have to meet standards that the Department of Homeland Security will define."

Link

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm guessing most here won't get it.

National ID act =
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Watch for this poster in America next!

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no bigge...don't have them down here either...only a matter of time before our safes will be reduced airsoft collections anyway. (at the rate we're going it'll be sooner than you'd think)
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Where is the fucking ACLU when their potentially useful???  This only gets worse with Hillary or Rudy.  Orwellian nightmare here we come!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes I wonder if there's a conspiracy going on with Bush blatently not securing the borders enough that Hillary would get voted in next time because of this issue. She could then proceed to ban as many guns as she could so we would have a double wammy of open borders and no guns and all this ID card B.S. which are "needed" because the open borders .
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]

"The law states, in effect, that in May 2008 (three years after passage), Americans will need to get a federally approved ID card. These new ID cards must have "machine readable" technology built into them, as described by the Department of Homeland Security. The new ID cards will be required for Americans to board a plane or train, open a bank account or enter federal buildings."

"In most cases, this national ID will come in the form of your state driver's license. This is not surprising. Driver's licenses have been evolving in to de facto ID cards for a long time. We use them to prove our age and identity when purchasing alcohol or tobacco. We use them at airport security checks. Under the new law, driver's licenses will have to meet standards that the Department of Homeland Security will define."

Link

I wont have to. My carry permit and DL already work.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

They won't get anything but your DL number from swiping your card, no details.

Thats what he said,

This is what i say
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't like this one bit. Not one damn bit.

Hopefully the House kills it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]
No big deal....
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
No big deal....

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This is nothing compared to what they are going to want to do after Real ID "doesnt work."

Can't wait, It'll be sweet
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I swear. The congress could vote to abolish all state governments tomorrow and a good portion of the people on this board wouldn't even blink.

All privacy and cataloguing concerns aside, did it ever occur to you fellows that the United States in congress assembled had no consitutional authority to pass the Real ID act?  

We don't have states anymore.  We have provinces fully subordinated to the authortiy of a central government.  Our state representatives just don't realize it yet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#40]
umm yes, they by definition had the authority to pass the bill.  You got no clue about constitutional authority do you?  Sleep through Civics class maybe?

BTW some of us who are on the level might get the cartoon.

If you don't think that machine readable means card swipe but rfid chips show me where it says that.  It's going to be card swipe because its a whole lot cheaper and just as effective for what it needs to do.  Even if it is rfid, that isn't any great and powerful step up over  card swipe.

As noted something like 41 states drivers licenses already meet the requirements.

"lets assume for the sake of argument that  your worst fears are realized and when you swipe your dl (or rf it) the number f goes into a great big database that locates you.  About 15 minutes later, Jose Gonzales Santa Maria Gonzales Gonzales has just received his bogus DL and takes it the the Stop and Rob for gas,  He swipes (or rf's it) ans guess what your number that is in Denver shows up 5 minutes later in Los Anhaylays.  WOW, even Barney Fife knows that you can't go that far in 45 minutes.  So I guess they sweep down on you and oops you have the rest of the license, so they instant message the gestapo in LA who instantly sweep down on poor Jose and give him his share of our tax dollars for the inconvenience.

Better doulbe the tin foil it more protection when the sky falls.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know why everyone is so upset about this. It was bound to happen sooner or later. My ID already meets the criteria for the REAL ID, so to me its another day. But look at it this way guys/gals, when the SHTF none of this ID shit will matter anyway. Chaos will ensue and we will be better off than the sheeple because we have the guns

And that will happen sooner than later.......
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't understand all the complaining about this National ID bill. Won't it stop alot of the illegal aliens from operating within our borders?

No it wont stop anything.  (The illegals need a green card now to operate)
But it will put one more regulation on you and me.
And how much do you think this little National ID will cost the taxpayers?

A bettter question is how much a national ID card will cost illegals?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The forthcoming database sharing will now put U.S. citizens in the same class as criminals...... the federal government will now have access to at least your physical description, disabilities, and your photo.  In the past, this level of detail was only offered to the federal government within criminal databases.

Oh please, put the tinfoil away..you think the Feds could't pull up this info under the current licensing capabilities? This is nothing new in terms of dat being collected, just requires that the licenses now meet certain standards.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Speaking of noobs, you notice that with only a few exceptions the lower the post count the more hysterical the post

PDanby; check my join date, it's earlier than yours. (I was on the "old board" as well; just haven't posted much since the change...).  Just because I don't inflate my post count with IBTL, DUPE. +1, etc., doesn't mean I'm hysterical.

I have read the bill, and it is very, very vague.   Transportation and Homeland Security can basically require anything they want on a RealID, and there is no procedure to review their decisions.  That worries me....

There is a great deal of hyperbole surrounding this bill, but I understand the fears.   "Mission creep" is inevitable when dealing with beaurocracies.  Some of us are old enough to remember getting a social security card only because we started working at sixteen.  Now it's difficult to take a newborn out of the hospital without filling out the SS application for the baby.

On the face of it, this bill is innocuous and makes sense;  sort of like gun control to someone who knows nothing about firearms.  There are better ways to handle criminal behavior than more gun control; and there are better ways to handle immigration and security issues than RealID.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't like this one bit. Not one damn bit.

Hopefully the House kills it.

Actually they passed it in a standalone bill.  Didn't need to put it in a "Money for Iraq" bill like the Senate to make it taste good politically.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
there are better ways to handle immigration and security issues than RealID.

So lets hear your suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#48]

So lets hear your suggestions.

off the top of my head....

1) fully fund the Border Patrol/INS so they can actually do their job.
2) Close the borders
3) Stop ALL benefits; including social security; for aliens.  if you want to work here, become a citizen.
4) Suspend "civil rights" for illegal aliens.  They aren't citizens, why treat them that way?
4) establish real penalties for individuals/businesses who employ illegal aliens.
5) Arm airline pilots on the Israeli model.

Do YOU have any?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#49]
I just think that it's pretty ironic that everyone on ARFCOM screams about the immigration problem. Then when the legislature does something to try and take a step forward in curtailing the problem, everyone screams foul.

Which is it guys?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I just think that it's pretty ironic that everyone on ARFCOM screams about the immigration problem. Then when the legislature does something to try and take a step forward in curtailing the problem, everyone screams foul.

Which is it guys?

[sigh]
If you beleive this will solve our border troubles then I am sorry for you Ben.
CH

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top