Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, not so good
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
WTF over, that was almost a disgrace to the song.

I could'nt agree more! I know it's black history month but DAMN! give me a break!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]

That being said, the only time I have heard the National Anthem sung worse than in this superbowl was by Roseanne Barr.

+1 ... It was a disgrace, and a slap in the face to a country at war.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I could have stuck a mic to my ass and done better! LOL!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
It sucked - a disgrace to that fine song...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought it sucked also. Why can't they just sing it traditionaly instead of putting their own stupid slant on it.

+1
The National Anthem is to be SUNG, not performed!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wretching during the whole thing. I expected to see a medivac helicopter for the honor guard.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Aretha ain't got it like she used to. I would have liked to heard Christina Aguilera sing the National Anthem. I ssaw her sing it a baseball game once. Chills.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wikipedia definitions are utterly worthless, as any idiot can put whatever they want in one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That being said, the only time I have heard the National Anthem sung worse than in this superbowl was by Roseanne Barr.

+1 ... It was a disgrace, and a slap in the face to a country at war.

It was just plain awful.

The National Anthem isn't something that ought to be messed with or used as a "platform" to showcase your "talent".

Tasteful choral arrangements of The Banner are fine, but doing the whole inflection (baaAAAAAaaaaneeeEEEEEEERRRRR YEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEET waaaaaaAAAAAAAAAve...) is unacceptable.

Neville tried to keep it fairly simple, but he always sounds like a really weak guy keeps squeezing his throat whenever he sings, so it is hard to tell. Hearing him do O Holy Night was bad enough, but the National Anthem was just painful.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife loves Arron Neville and Aretha Franklin and she was shocked/disappointed by Mr. Neville's performance, thought Aretha was "ok".

I thought Arron Neville just plain ole suxxed!!

Sounded like an American Idol reject.

Damn!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Coretta Scott King is deserving of some recognition because of the work she and her husband did. They both earned a place in history.

Her husband was an adulterous communist who claimed to be a Pastor of the Gospel. He earned a place in history, the hall of shame.

Like King David, oops, forgot he was also a murderer for the pussy he chased.  Samson was a whore monger.  Very common trait for men of power or promenance.  Yes, he had more than a bit of  advisors that were communists.

Rosa Parks, in my opinion, doesn't rank anywhere near that.

Rosa took a bold stand where almost all others succumbed to Jim Crow pressure daily. Getting lynched in the south in 1955 wasnt out of the question, think Emmet Till.

Being black, Alabama, breaking The Law, the 60's, ...... you got that right.

Man Im glad I missed that, shes a whiney screecher everytime she opens her piehole.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
With the Superbowl being in Detroit, they should have had Karen Newman sing the anthem.

That girl has some pipes on her and needs no other distractions.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#14]
If they performed that in front of the American Idol judges, I think Paula herself would have told them they were "fat, ugly, stupid, and utterly untalented" Simon and Randy's jaws would drop and they would only be able to nod violently in agreement with Paula's uncharacteristically accurate assessment.

Horrible, simply horrible.

roy d...proud American, embarrassed Super Bowl viewer
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wikipedia definitions are utterly worthless, as any idiot can put whatever they want in one.

So go find any link anywhere, somehting that supports a setup.

That was a common story among all versions rolled up in one nice neat package.

Sore cuz your MLK idolatry left wing bs was exposed?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
What's with the CoCo Puff on Aaron Neville's face???
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So go find any link anywhere, somehting that supports a setup.

That was a common story among all versions rolled up in one nice neat package.

Sore cuz your MLK idolatry left wing bs was exposed?

I was simply pointing out the fact that Wikipedia definitions are utterly worthless. Try using it as a citation in a paper submitted to academic scrutiny and you will get zapped for it. The information on any one topic MAY be factual, but the nature of it precludes it from being a reliable and objective source of information.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
wife and I had the same conversation. terrible what these people did to our anthem, almost a complete disgrace. normally I can't hear the national anthem without tearing up and getting misty eyed, but that  just made me mad
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man Im glad I missed that, shes a whiney screecher everytime she opens her piehole.

+.9barBillion

beats the HELL out of a SheMale grabbing its Crotch and blatantly disrespecting the whole thing
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Aaron Neville sounded like he was in pain.

Lois
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Aaron Neville sounded like he was in pain.

Lois

I was in pain listening to him 'sing'
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Tall Shadow,

By the way........

Bi . . . is what Madonna happens to be

Buy . . . is what you do at the store

Got it

Bye Bye
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not a big Kathie Lee Gifford fan but I remember being completely surprised by her performance at Super Bowl XXIX.  She just sang the song.  She didn't embellish it in any way and it was a great performance.  

Lois
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone ever hear Carl Lewis attempt to sing it at a Bull's game?

Most butchered version ever....Barr none ....forgot most the words and never achieved anything close to a quality pitch.

He got soundly BOO'ed by all in attendance....it was priceless.

roy d....btw, the Star Spangled Banner was never meant to be a song, it was a poem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was simply pointing out the fact that Wikipedia definitions are utterly worthless. Try using it as a citation in a paper submitted to academic scrutiny and you will get zapped for it. The information on any one topic MAY be factual, but the nature of it precludes it from being a reliable and objective source of information.

Actually, wikipedia turns out to be as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica. Naturally I don't accept it as a source 'cause it can be changed and isn't reviewed, etc. but I do tell my students it's a great place to get background information on a topic they don't know anything about.

Either way, tall_shadow provided 0 sources for his accusation. So he loses.

I've heard the accusation before. There were other points in history were things were "staged". In Plessy v. Ferguson for example, was staged by some citizens with the approval of the railroad company (having seperate cars didn't make sense economically. You needed more cars). Either way, Rosa Park's wasn't staged. There wasn't a photographer there either.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#29]

I want to hear Charlotte Church sing the National Anthem.  The unboogered version and no music or other distractions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They need to bring Jimi Hendrix back from the grave so he can show them how to play it right.

Ted Nugent's guitar version pwned Hendrix's version...Of course I didn't see the Hendrix version live...

That says it all right there.  As much as I like the Nuge, he cannot make a guitar talk like Hendrix did.

BTW, it is owned, not pwned.

Stop being ornery.  If I want to spell it "pwned" I will.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I saw Roseanee Barr sing the anthem once and it was a hell of a lot better than the crap I heard last night , and she's a middle aged non-singer ,fat white comedian! WTF !
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Each year the Superbowl becomes more of a PC event, embracing other cultures.  This year is another long stride down that road.

(Note that when the flag marched out, they paid tribute to two "great American heroes" - recently deceased black women)

Yes, I heard next year they are going to sing it with a sitar for background music....I actually would not doubt it nowadays

Yes, they really screwed it up....Usually I get a little misty eyed thinking of what the song means.  This year, I just looked away.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Worst I heard was in the mid 90's, maybe Superbowl XXX, it started out as the "Star Spangled Banner", and halfway through, the lyrics changed to "America".
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1 ... although the All-Time Worst National Anthem Performance in a Pro Sporting Event must go to Hansen in the World Series.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#35]
ALL the singing sucked at the Superbowl
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

roy d....btw, the Star Spangled Banner was never meant to be a song, it was a poem.

Set to a popular at the time English drinking song.

As many American ideas were at the time, a wonderful piece of propaganda, expertly executed.

BTW, "meant to be" probably wouldn't be the correct way to put it unless you have a Key's quote on it.  The only thing seperating a poem from a song is a tune to put it to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
as long as they dont screw it up what does it matter?

A little late they did

+1 million!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top