Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
<~~homeschools her kids. Anyone wonder why?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
(2) Have you ever sniffed glue or Magic markers to get high?

Son:
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Intruding surveys?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Believe me when I say that this is nothing new to a kid his age.

Right - in New York.    There's a MUCH larger America you wouldn't know about.   You wouldn't understand.  God bless the heartland.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intruding surveys?

Intruding everything. And first graders french kissing on the playground while the teachers look the other way. And the fact that I don't think "socializing" with those monsters is in their best interests. And their "curriculum" sucks, their "discipline" sucks more, and I can do a much better job on less than $500 than they do with more than $5000 per child.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]

WTF ??    

those questions seem really inappropriate for that age IMHO
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right - in New York.    There's a MUCH larger America you wouldn't know about.   You wouldn't understand.  God bless the heartland.

not trying to piss anyone off but is it good to be naive?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Intruding surveys?

Intruding everything. And first graders french kissing on the playground while the teachers look the other way. And the fact that I don't think "socializing" with those monsters is in their best interests. And their "curriculum" sucks, their "discipline" sucks more, and I can do a much better job on less than $500 than they do with more than $5000 per child.

Homeschooling at a young age is fine, but when you dont want them socializing with them, you need to remember school is also to prepare them for being on their own. Knowing how to socialize is an important skill.

Some curriculum's arent to good, especially if your local schools have bad ratings. Elementary school homeschooling is a good thing. If they are sent to public or private school for middle-highschool, they will be put into the advanced classes, get high SAT scores and GPA's and go to the good colleges. But not being able to talk to people can mess that up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]

As a psychologist who has done his fair share of survey research, I would have sent an informed consent form to the parents that explained the  nature and purpose of the survey and gotten parently permission before administering the survey.  

It sounds like your kid may have been sheltered from of the experiences described in the questions on the survey, but, sadly,  a lot of kids are experiencing those things.  Teachers, school officials, and public health types see it all the time even in Indiana, I'm sure.  It sounds like they forgot that most kids are probably not experiencing most of those things and exposing them to those questions would have implicaitons for the parents.

You should call school officials and work on changing their policy.  Parental notification and permission is generally accepted practice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#10]
These have been around for over 20 years (and not just New York, I was raised in VA).  I remember that we looked forward to the survey as it meant we missed class (we were kids).  Obviously I can't speak for every child, but we joked about the survey more than anything else.  We also felt out of touch as we grew up in an affluent area and viewed the questions only applicable to the poor and uneducated.  Times have changed, but if you have an intelligent child I don't think the survey will make him a substance abuser and/or child molester.

What scares me is the HIV/AIDS paper towel thing..  WTF is with that explanation?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Homeschooling at a young age is fine, but when you dont want them socializing with them, you need to remember school is also to prepare them for being on their own. Knowing how to socialize is an important skill.

Some curriculum's arent to good, especially if your local schools have bad ratings. Elementary school homeschooling is a good thing. If they are sent to public or private school for middle-highschool, they will be put into the advanced classes, get high SAT scores and GPA's and go to the good colleges. But not being able to talk to people can mess that up.

Huh. I never said my kids don't talk to other people. I also never said they didn't need to know how to socialize. The curricula used by public schools is just sad.

The fact is, my children are given the opportunity to socialize with a wide variety of people, including a few in their age range. I'm confident they'll have wonderful SAT and ACT scores and get into the best colleges if that's what they choose to do.

Yes, interacting with other people is important, especially as they get older. I just don't think schools are the best place for them to do that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Come on!  This really isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was a kid I used to lick all the ink out of those scented markers. People always looked at me like I was wierd.

The teachers would always get their marker sets back with the tips all white.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Here in Seattle, the question was asked in my little sister's class:
Do your parents own firearms?

Was somewhere around all the school shootings.
Sister responded, "My father owns a gun range."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here in Seattle, the question was asked in my little sister's class:
Do your parents own firearms?

Was somewhere around all the school shootings.
Sister responded, "My father owns a gun range."

lmao
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#16]
the only correct answer is NONYA

NONYA DAMN BUSINESS

damn educrats, think everything about the children is their business. They are paid to do a job that is all.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Check it out most of these tests are for Grant money.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Check it out most of these tests are for Grant money.  

that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Teachers are here to teach my children to read and write,and to add and subtract!

And history is a must!

Sex education may be taught at a certain age(now with the great age of media mass endoctriunation of sex sells)many moral issues are carried over into the schools!

Your young daughter may well believe that belly rings,and tank tops are the norm!!

They were the norm in California in 1968,so were three finger lids for 10.00!

Times have changed!

I would'nt want teachers or school systems to teach my children principles,morals,or any comunity standards that I or my childrens mother would want to teach them!!

You school  them  I teach them!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#20]
thats nothing new to kids
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Really piss off the administrators....tell the kid to fill it out like this:

Quoted:
My 13-year-old son (7th grade) informed me today that school officials administered a survey that contained some of the following questions:

(1) Have you ever had sex?  If so, did you use contraceptives?
Fifth Amendment
Fifth Amendment
(3) Have you ever stabbed or shot anyone?
Fifth Amendment
(4) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?
Fifth Amendment
(5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself?
SECOND AMENDMENT
(6) Do you live in a one-parent household?
Fifth Amendment
Etc.

These questions seem very intrusive to ask a 13-year-old in rural Idaho.  My son said to me "I didn't know kids sniffed Magic markers to get high."  And "The questions might give kids bad ideas."

I'm really pissed about this and am thinking of calling the superintendent and/or local newspaper.  The worst thing is the district never contacted parents ahead of time to ask if it was okay to ask the students such questions.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They pulled this kind of stuff years ago with my son here in Mi. Personal family questions, and all the rest. I told him that he should refuse, [they give a grade on them here to "force" the kids to do it.] ask to go to the principles office and call me so I can come in. They tried the next year but I had already given him a letter telling the school I refuse to allow him to give out personal family info and any questions will be directed to me. Schools are intrusive little social [experiment] institutions if you allow them free rein.

What City in Michigan?

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
More questions:more sarcastic answers

Have you every used rock cocaine, angel dust, heroin, LSD, etc.? No, do you know where I can get some?

Have you ever been physically abused by a parent? We don't call it abuse unless I'm still bleeding the next day

Have you ever used a gun or knife to get something from someone? Only when asking nice doesn't work

Have you ever stolen from a store?  How many times?  Why would I steal from a store, banks have all the money

Do you believe in having sex as a teen?  Believe in it, it's my sole reason for existence

My son said the survey was the talk of the school.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like the school is screening for mental illness.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in an inner-city, but not here.  Forgot one of the questions:

Have you ever tried to kill yourself?  How many times?

Whoa...so it's ok to ask these questions to a kid living in Manhattan? I don't think so.
I believe that if this thing has you this riled up, you should do something. But DON'T do the "It's ok...just not in MY back-yard!" thing.
I think you SHOULD go to the super and tell him/her that this is bullshit, btw.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Back in school we all used to answer the questions with the worst possible answer.

My group of friends is probably responsible for all the studies that say '3 out of 5 6th graders smoked crack last week' and crazy stats like that.

heheheh..
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My 13-year-old son (7th grade) informed me today that school officials administered a survey that contained some of the following questions:

(4) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?

(5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself?

Etc.

These questions seem very intrusive to ask a 13-year-old in rural Idaho.  My son said to me "I didn't know kids sniffed Magic markers to get high."  And "The questions might give kids bad ideas."

I'm really pissed about this and am thinking of calling the superintendent and/or local newspaper.  The worst thing is the district never contacted parents ahead of time to ask if it was okay to ask the students such questions.

You should make stink about this.  Those questions have NOTHING to do with reading, writing, and arithmatic.  That's pure intrusive BS to ask that at a school.

MAKE them tell you in writing what they plan to do with the answers to those questions (then watch them shake).

Don't be silent like most parents will be.   Speak out!

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You need to give him a few more sarcasm lessons...this is the correct way for him to answer...
the questions seem like this should have been anonymous, i'd be angry if they made a list of who answered what.

(1) Have you ever had sex?  If so, did you use contraceptives? No, but teach ***** has shown me her boobies and peepee after class one day.

(2) Have you ever sniffed glue or Magic markers to get high? No, I smoke pot to get high.

(3) Have you ever stabbed or shot anyone? Yes, but they deserved it.

(4) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?Again, yes, but they were all bad people

(5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself? Often

(6) Do you live in a one-parent household? No, both my moms and dads live in the same house

One must always assume that all the others taking the survey will asnwer correctly, and must take it upon himself to modify the results.

/End of lesson.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I would hand it back without filling it out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Years ago in Russia the teachers would have kids draw a picture of the family radio, including the dial setting.  This gave the "authorities" (how I have learned to hate that word) info on who was possibly listening  to Radio Free Europe or whatever.

There are all sorts of subtle and not so subtle tricks for pumping kids for information.  Talk to your kids about this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Was it an anonymous survey or was it part of a profile?  If it was anonymous the school officials might just be trying to understand the problems and issues of the kids in the school so they can be better prepared to help them.  If it was a named survey that will be part of your sons school profile then you are right in telling the school to mind their own business because next year they might start asking "are there guns in your house", "does your father yell"...ect.

There is no such thing as anonymous in school surveys.  They know what class room you got it from and if it's something they feels NEEDS to be addressed, they will find you if they have to use finger print.

Your children should refuse to answer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#32]
You really need to throw it right back in their insidious, holier-than-thou, fat fucking faces!!!

You and other parents need to DEMAND that ALL school teachers and administrators answer YOUR "survey questions" instead:

PARENTAL SURVEY TO ALL SCHOOL TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS:

1) Have you ever taken illegal drugs?

2) Have you ever driven a car while intoxicated? How many times?

3) Have you ever sniffed glue or Magic markers to get high?

4) Have you ever stabbed or shot anyone?

5) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?

6) Are you divorced?

7) Do you have any children living in a one-parent household?

8) Have you ever stolen any school property? How many times?

9) Have you ever hit a child? How many times?

10) Have you ever had an extra-marital affair? Did you use contraception? What kind?

11) Have you ever had sexual contact with a member of the same sex?

12) Have you personally ever heard of or found out about a teacher in your school having sexual contact with a student? Did you report it to administrators and police?

13) Why the hell can't you all just mind your own business and teach reading, writing, math, science, history and civics?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

"Do you like gladiator movies?"
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I remember taking one of those about 8 or 9 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not trying to piss anyone off but is it good to be naive?

it's not about being naive, it's about safeguarding kids from things they can't possibly process until they reach a certain age.

You give the kids the proper teach and envirnoment to help them grow. You don't want some idiot liberal hack edumacation expert throwing things at 10 year old that someone of 14 is barely getting ready to learn about.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

5) Have you ever beat someone to the point that they were bleeding and needed medical attention?

6) Are you divorced?

10) Have you ever had an extra-marital affair? Did you use contraception? What kind?

12) Have you personally ever heard of or found out about a teacher in your school having sexual contact with a student? Did you report it to administrators and police?

13) Why the hell can't you all just mind your own business and teach reading, writing, math, science, history and civics?

May I please add these to the list?

14) Have you ever had an orgasm so intense that you black out? How many times?

15) Ever had an abortion? How many times? Did your partner ever know about it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You really need to throw it right back in their insidious, holier-than-thou, fat fucking faces!!!

You and other parents need to DEMAND that ALL school teachers and administrators answer YOUR "survey questions" instead:

6) Are you divorced?

yeah Mac I know, it's none of their fucking  business.  Unless the cops find out that there are kids smoking pot or whatever, or it happens on school property, it's none of their business.

I remember hearing in high school about the fact that a kid could be disciplined in school for fighting outside of school with another student. WTF? Unless the kids bring their problems to class then it's not anyone's business.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Think that's some shit? It gets better!

Wait till he gets to college and gets bombarded by liberal-commie loving-America hating professors!

P.S. What would Henry Bowman do?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#39]
What does #6 have to dow with 1- through 5?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#40]
"One time, in Reno..."
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6) Are you divorced?

May I please add these to the list?

14) Have you ever had an orgasm so intense that you black out? How many times?

15) Ever had an abortion? How many times? Did your partner ever know about it?

Hahahahahaha
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'll take stupid, leading questions for 1000 Alex...

Because no child left behind, as well as the local community demands that we address these issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Back in school we all used to answer the questions with the worst possible answer.

My group of friends is probably responsible for all the studies that say '3 out of 5 6th graders smoked crack last week' and crazy stats like that.

heheheh..

+1

whenever we were given these surveys (starting in the 4th grade), everyone would always report that they were suicidal crackheads who had unprotected sex several times a week.

your kid is VERY sheltered if he's in 7th grade and doesn't know about inhalants.... you don't have a DARE program in idaho?  i guess you're lucky.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Magic Markers?

I still like mimeographed test papers...  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds to me like you need to get a grip. You cant shelter him forever. I bet you have a good kid there. Dont be afraid to give him some space. You only have 3 more years until hes going to want to borrow the car keys. Just make sure you keep on giving him quality father-son time and a good message to hear and follow. He will listen to you more than anyone else. And frankly Im suprised hes not way past this point already.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh yes, pretty please tell my children all about the illegal and dangerous things they could be doing, because it would be a tragedy if they remained innocent of such things for as long as possible. And while you're at it, please tell them how to get high on products their parents already own...and make sure they know that it's okay to have sex as long as they use a school issued condom.

I think that if you send your kids to school, you should be able to expect them to teach your children about math, science, history, art, literature, etc...NOT to pump them for information about their (and your) personal lives, and not to give them unnecessary information about illegal and dangerous activities. Unfortuately, though, no one in America can expect that anymore.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

"Do you like gladiator movies?"

Ever been to a turkish prison?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Its called a self report its used to study juvenile deliquency in america.  Im not saying your kid is a delinquent its just a anyomous survey that is put out on occasion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it an anonymous survey or was it part of a profile?  If it was anonymous the school officials might just be trying to understand the problems and issues of the kids in the school so they can be better prepared to help them.  If it was a named survey that will be part of your sons school profile then you are right in telling the school to mind their own business because next year they might start asking "are there guns in your house", "does your father yell"...ect.

There is no such thing as anonymous in school surveys.  They know what class room you got it from and if it's something they feels NEEDS to be addressed, they will find you if they have to use finger print.

Your children should refuse to answer.

+1
I am a untrained part time amateur teacher (long story) of about 9 months, and even I can accurately match my student's handwriting to his/her name.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yes.  Yes, and no.

I tried, once.  Apparently you have to be really serious (I wasn't.)

I got a pencil stuck in my leg once, does that count?
Does a ricochet off a steel backer that bounced off my toe count?

Only in Unreal Tournament.  (Received it once...last fight I ever started.)

5) Have you ever felt that you needed to carry a knife or gun to protect yourself?

More of a belief than a feeling....

Briskette sometimes thinks so.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top