Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been looking at the Fenix LD10.  How do you like it?

I really like them. The only two flaws to the LD10 is the lack of a moon light mode and the fact that it looses the low mode when you use lithium batteries. I quit carrying it in my "get home bag" because I carry lithiums because they do not need to be rotated nearly as often. When you run slightly higher voltage it put the light into direct drive and you loose the low mode. This eats up power.

If you use alkalines or NiMH batteries its nearly perfect. It has very good run times on the low mode.

My Quark AA regular is basically the same light, but with a lower moon light mode. It does not loose low with higher voltage. I can use Lithium Ion batteries that run 3.7v, which bumps the high level up to over 230 lumens.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Shit-somebody that has more flashlights than me.  

And I thought I was bad........

Most all of mine are mini Maglites (single AAA cell and 2-AA cell)

When you convert over the the high powered LED's that have flawless beams you will really see the reason they are so popular. I have one mag lite and one AA and AAA mini mag left.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
How many batteries do you keep in stock?

I for one, have a lot of high mAh rechargeables and good chargers.
This way I usually have a set in rotation. AA, AAA, CR123, etc.

I don't really bother with the D cell lights, as they seem to have a good shelf life.

What kind of luck do you have with rechargeables? Specifically Surefires. I was warned not to use CR123 rechargeables in them.
What brand of rechargeables do you favor?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my Fenix PD20.  Ive almost forgotten that it's made in China.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
How many batteries do you keep in stock?

I for one, have a lot of high mAh rechargeables and good chargers.
This way I usually have a set in rotation. AA, AAA, CR123, etc.

I don't really bother with the D cell lights, as they seem to have a good shelf life.

What kind of luck do you have with rechargeables? Specifically Surefires. I was warned not to use CR123 rechargeables in them.
What brand of rechargeables do you favor?

There are 3v lithium Ion rechargeables, but most of them are 3.7v. The higher voltage will kill the bulb or damage the LED circuit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for that info. I'll need to check what I have. I have 2 of the surefires that look like the 2nd from left that Moondancer pictured.

Dammit. 3.7 volts. Still good for the tazers that I have though. I'll need to order some 3 volt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you for that info. I'll need to check what I have. I have 2 of the surefires that look like the 2nd from left that Moondancer pictured.

Dammit. 3.7 volts. Still good for the tazers that I have though. I'll need to order some 3 volt.

and a charger that is set up for lithium ion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I've only got:

Fenix Preon
Olight T15
Fenix TK11R2 (If you count the 18650 as a single cell)
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]
 I am CarbineDad and I like flashlights

Earlier in the week, CarbineMom said "You can't have TOO many flashlights.  I told her I could probably find a picture on ARFCOM to change her mind.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm diggin the nightcore ones the most I think, whats one of those go for??

Dads birthday is real soon and hes constantly bitching about not having enough light.

I just bought the Jetbeam from Light Junction. I have never dealt with them before and no complaints. The prices vary greatly for the different operating systems. Between $40 and $100.

Damn should have waited for a reply before I went and ordered a surefire from optics planet.

Oh well if he don't use it I will have 2 in my collection.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the Muyshondt as nice as they say?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the Muyshondt as nice as they say?

Its very, very nicely made light. Bright as hell and smooth as silk. I have to say that I like the UI better than some of my other twisties. You tighten the bezel to turn it on, turn further to turn to high. Its not just a nice light, its a great one.

The nitecore EZ123 and CR2 both have the same UI.

If you buy any CR2 lights, buy your batteries at 4sevens.com because they are $2 a piece with free shipping if you order more than $20.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Earlier in the week, CarbineMom said "You can't have TOO many flashlights.  I told her I could probably find a picture on ARFCOM to change her mind.  

Maybe later I will take some pictures of my multi cell lights. I won't take pictures of multiples and there are several multiples. I am thinking about a Fenix TK45 for next month.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
For a general purpose, inexpensive, EDC little light I really like the new Streamlight MicroStream.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#15]
So where's the best deal on batteries?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe later I will take some pictures of my multi cell lights. I won't take pictures of multiples and there are several multiples. I am thinking about a Fenix TK45 for next month.

Batman, I am already searching for a coleman 3AA LED High Tech Mini Lantern retail , I have the model number in my shopping list in my cell phone.   Temp me no more
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]

What, no love for the Arc-AAA?

Other lights since offer more goofy features and a lot more lumens, but I've never seen a light with a better design or higher build quality.  I don't understand why they don't get more press, especially around here.  The Premiums are worth it too.

If you're familiar with the little Fenix single-AAA, the Arc is what they were ripping off there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So which is the best bang for the buck?

Is it weird if that is a very hard question to answer. I would have to say the Fenix P2D (pd20 now), Fenix LD10, or the Quark AA regular.

I have a LD10 also, and love that little light. I always have it with me. It fits perfectly in the spare mag pocket on 5.11 pants.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/img/arc-p-2/arc-p-2_005.jpg

Other lights since offer more goofy features and a lot more lumens, but I've never seen a light with a better design or higher build quality.  I don't understand why they don't get more press, especially around here.  The Premiums are worth it too.

If you're familiar with the little Fenix single-AAA, the Arc is what they were ripping off there.

You really can't accuse Fenix of ripping this light off. They built a light with a similar size that is light years past it on regulation and reflector.

Frankly, that light has nothing that would make me want one. I can get 80 lumens out of my Fenix LD01 for less money. I can run it on low for many, many hours. The lack of a real led and a reflector is the real killer for that light for me. My fenix throws a beam 30 to 40 yds. and can light up the entire side of my truck.

My Quark Preon Revo is about the same brightness with a better UI, and a nicer beam for not much more.

I would have to say that my revo, LD01, and L0D all have better features that matter to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really can't accuse Fenix of ripping this light off. They built a light with a similar size that is light years past it on regulation and reflector.

Frankly, that light has nothing that would make me want one. I can get 80 lumens out of my Fenix LD01 for less money. I can run it on low for many, many hours. The lack of a real led and a reflector is the real killer for that light for me. My fenix throws a beam 30 to 40 yds. and can light up the entire side of my truck.

My Quark Preon Revo is about the same brightness with a better UI, and a nicer beam for not much more.

I would have to say that my revo, LD01, and L0D all have better features that matter to me.

Before Fenix put any of those lights out, they put out the E01.  The similarities between that and the Arc are undeniable.  The comparison is exactly what one would expect between a small American craftsman and a mass-produced chinese knockoff too... Exactly.

My wife carries a two year old E01 on her keys.  I carry a four plus year old Arc on mine.  Hers is getting replaced this Christmas.  Mine isn't.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, you're really into flashsturbation.

Nice collection.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I think some of you guys are really afraid of the dark .
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before Fenix put any of those lights out, they put out the E01.  The similarities between that and the Arc are undeniable.  The comparison is exactly what one would expect between a small American craftsman and a mass-produced chinese knockoff too... Exactly.

My wife carries a two year old E01 on her keys.  I carry a four plus year old Arc on mine.  Hers is getting replaced this Christmas.  Mine isn't.

The L0D in the picture is around 5 years old. The LD01 is a few years old at least. I bought it when they first came out with the newer version. You may not have noticed the E01's price tag as well. I just cannot get excited about anything Arc has done so far.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn. Yeah, you have problems with flash lights like I have problems with ammo. At least yours are easier to store!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The L0D in the picture is around 5 years old. The LD01 is a few years old at least. I bought it when they first came out with the newer version. You may not have noticed the E01's price tag as well. I just cannot get excited about anything Arc has done so far.

We're obviously just looking for completely different things in a flashlight.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I lost my every day carry E1E in the river a few weeks ago

Need to get a replacement 1-cell.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I definitely need a good quality light.

There are so many, I'm intimidated by all the research I'm gonna have to go through to select one.

The Surefire G2X Pro Flashlight.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I am an addict as well.  I don't have as many single cell lights as I tend to give them away as fast as I get them, but I am sure I have had been through that many.

My carry light right now is a Preon single AAA.  Between the two cell phones and gun and knife, multitool, lighter, wallet, keys and so on I had to pare down somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#29]
That is ridiculous
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I definitely need a good quality light.

There are so many, I'm intimidated by all the research I'm gonna have to go through to select one.

The Surefire G2X Pro Flashlight.

Thanks Zan, I'll check one out.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think some of you guys are really afraid of the dark .

I don't suffer from mental illness. I enjoy it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're obviously just looking for completely different things in a flashlight.  

which is totally cool. I like pocket rockets.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is ridiculous

here's a link to my next light
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#34]
NICE!!!

I have a quark or two on my list, as well as a maratac aa and aaa.. I dont need them, i want them!  

Playing with my LX2 and streamlight PT-2L as i type this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
NICE!!!

I have a quark or two on my list, as well as a maratac aa and aaa.. I dont need them, i want them!  

The quality of the Quark Preon Revo makes the Maratac aaa look sick. Better fit, much better finish, better beam, better key chain attachment, better battery life with full regulation on all modes instead of PWM.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just think all that money stuffed into high end flaslings coulda bought some decent hight vision.

But I don't collect night vision....

I have around $1100 in this picture. The night vision I want is a PVS14. That costs about $4000.

I bought my first PVS7 for $1400.... deals are out there...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dads birthday is real soon and hes constantly bitching about not having enough light.

I was a huge Nitecore fan, but with the exception of the first Defender Infinity I got a few years ago, every one has had problems with the tailcap switch. They give you three spares in the box, that ought to tell you something. The last one was an R5 model and had a different/beefier switch, but sometimes it screws up too. I'd love to be able to recommend their non Piston Drive lights, but I just can't be a koolaid drinker anymore.

My next light will probably be a Quark AA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't know where they all are for a group shot, but I have:

Surefire: E2D LED Defender, E1B Backup, Vampire, G2, G2 LED, 6P LED, 9P, IR illuminator, and then the weaponlights- X300, 951, and a 962.

Yeah...you could say I'm a Surefire fanboy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't carry in the daytime,although I probably should, but at night I have been surprised how many times a really good flashlight comes in real handy.  It's a fun habit. Costly, but fun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I usually have the backup with me during the day.  It's small enough that it doesn't bug me, and there are indeed dark spots during the day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a huge Nitecore fan, but with the exception of the first Defender Infinity I got a few years ago, every one has had problems with the tailcap switch. They give you three spares in the box, that ought to tell you something. The last one was an R5 model and had a different/beefier switch, but sometimes it screws up too. I'd love to be able to recommend their non Piston Drive lights, but I just can't be a koolaid drinker anymore.

My next light will probably be a Quark AA.

I had to polish up the switch rings in my D10 and EX10. They got stuck from the factory, but it only took a few seconds with a dremel, polishing the outside of the switch ring to get to run flawlessly. Not a ringing endorsement. I will probably buy a D11 soon as they have improved over the original design.

I have not had any issues with my NDI or Extreme. The extra switch they gave me for both is still in the box.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks to OP's input in another Flash light thread I started. I will be purchasing a Quark AA regular (maybe the tactical not sure) in the near future...

It totally Fills my needs in a survival BOB flash light (720 hours run time on moon light mode), and it compliments my Aimpoint M4s (takes AA's) quite well.

Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks to OP's input in another Flash light thread I started. I will be purchasing a Quark AA regular (maybe the tactical not sure) in the near future...

It totally Fills my needs in a survival BOB flash light (720 hours run time on moon light mode), and it compliments my Aimpoint M4s (takes AA's) quite well.

Thanks for sharing OP.

You are welcome. I tend to prefer the regular since you get quick access to all the modes without reprogramming. If you only really need two modes, the tactical is perfect. My work light only needs two modes. Medium, and high, so the tactical kicks ass.

If I had my ultimate light, it would be a quark regular  that had hidden blinky and strobe modes. I never use them so burying them in the UI would be cool.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NICE!!!

The quality of the Quark Preon Revo makes the Maratac aaa look sick. Better fit, much better finish, better beam, better key chain attachment, better battery life with full regulation on all modes instead of PWM.

Great now I just bought a new light right when I was getting out of flashlights.  I have a preon 1 and 2, the preon 1 is my edc light and now looks like the preon revo will replace it. I cant wait till it gets here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing OP.

You are welcome. I tend to prefer the regular since you get quick access to all the modes without reprogramming. If you only really need two modes, the tactical is perfect. My work light only needs two modes. Medium, and high, so the tactical kicks ass.

If I had my ultimate light, it would be a quark regular  that had hidden blinky and strobe modes. I never use them so burying them in the UI would be cool.

I keep thinking about that. I might buy two. The regular for Daily carry and use.
The tactical for my BOB, because I'd set it to moon light and Low.
Moon light for just getting by, and the low for things I absolutely needed a little more light with, but still tried to keep a low profile. Not to mention conserving of batteries. I don't need the high modes draining my battery.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got the NDI, which currently serves as my EDC. What do you think of the NDI versus the Quark AA? Will I notice a difference from switching to it? Is it that much better?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I dont have a pic but I have a few, you have me beat:

Surefire E2D LED
Surefire E1B LED with M300a stand alone tail cap
Surefire G2 LED Black with Z49 tail cap
Surefire G2 with Z49 tail cap and KX4D lamp
Surefire G2 OD with P60L lamp
Surefire G2 Tan with P60L lamp
Surefire G2 Black with P60L lamp and Defender Bezel
Surefire 6P Defender LED with KX4D lamp
Surefire 6P Defender with KX4D lamp
Surefire M300a with SR07 switch
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've got the NDI, which currently serves as my EDC. What do you think of the NDI versus the Quark AA? Will I notice a difference from switching to it? Is it that much better?

The quark has a better beam and a lower low. I believe the quark may not be as bright. I do like the UI of the NDI. Either of them are good edc choices.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The quark has a better beam and a lower low. I believe the quark may not be as bright. I do like the UI of the NDI. Either of them are good edc choices.

I have a Quark 123Tactical. It's a great light functionally in a small package with the major shortcoming being the crappy anodizing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NICE!!!

Great now I just bought a new light right when I was getting out of flashlights.  I have a preon 1 and 2, the preon 1 is my edc light and now looks like the preon revo will replace it. I cant wait till it gets here.

Hahaha! I am evil!!!!!!!!!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top