Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Plant blackberry bushes and other thorny things in places where they often walk.

Put up signs warning about how you're trapping the area. Hell, put up some traps too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An AR would be better for her. Lighter, less recoil.

I'm pretty sure that won't fly with my parents. If I could get her anything, it would be a 9mm AR-we are talking about a retirement aged woman who has not shot a gun since she was a kid, there's no sense in getting her something that she won't use.

Hmm.... Marlin Camp 9.... I just need to find something that she won't get freaked out about-they aren't at a point where they need to walk their property with an AR at all times yet, that's a pretty big psychological leap for my parents.

From what you've said whatever you get her is irrelevant.

That's what I told my mom-she doesn't want to bother the sheriff's department because they are stretched pretty thin. I told her an armed trespasser on her property is a whole different class of asshole than someone coming to dump or shoot cans on the weekend. I brought up the tax thing too and her response was that they were only absentee land owners for the moment-I told her "in for a penny, in for a pound".

She's not going to use it on a trespasser.

Fences, ditches, better gates, locks. One of my ranges has a gate  you'd have to bulldoze down. Some concrete, steel and the right design and they're in business.

One of my bros, "Crazy Mac", would plug any (unoccupied) vehicle with his HiPower. The word got around.

Quoted:
Spike the shit out of the roads leading in and out of the property.

We did this with good success at a duck club. If you can channel traffic it's a good tactic. We didn't have to bother. The idiots cut our fence in the same locations- lazy turds. Boards, big ass nails, shallow trench and some leaves.

Push that four wheeler home, douche!

You may be right, Mom is a pretty passive person. I think if it came down to shooting to protect herself, she would probably have the stones to do it, but I can't see her approaching a guy with a gun with a gun I provided her. I would hope that she would call the law in a case like that, and I think she will when it happens in the future. My dad on the other hand doesn't take shit off of anyone-toughest guy I know-he just hasn't had any need for firearms since he got out of the service. I have respected that because he's earned the right to his views.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If all these great suggestions fail. Go commando and get nuts. Walk around naked with a shotgun randomly shooting shit and screaming fuck you over and over again. Every day something different like bathing in real blood on the road for everyone can see you (you are still naked). Defecate on vehicles and smear it over windshields. Wear an SS uniform and chase your mother around the property with a machete and she could be naked covered in blood. Make the entire place a nightmare for the average person. Buy 100 pig and cow heads and spike them all over the property. Imagine it and I am sure you can come up with something.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
water bar the road.  

If you make it so the people have walk into the property, opposed to drive.  That should get rid of the majority of them.
Aside from that.  Game cameras and no trespassing/private property signs.  Then turn the pictures over to the local LEO agency.

THis.

make it unpassable even by jeep.  that is hard.  you need a series of obstacles in a row, such as deep water (im talking 4-5 feet deep)  or heaps of earh 4-5 feet tall butted up to each other like ^^^^^^  in a row, so on the down from one you run the front end into the up side of the next.   nothing short of that or a downed tree will stop off road traffic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
At the range I used to be a member of, they had a locked gate - now a padlock gets shot off every time, so they had a system where there was a tubular steel assembly with a slot that the gate tongue fit into.  the padlock goes INSIDE this, so it cant be shot off, everything is heavy guage steel.  Find a metal fabrication shop and be prepared to pay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]

You know whats really funny - they sell these signs at fred meyer around here.  I was going to get some, but the wife said no!  we do live in a housing development and all..
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Gotta go to work, keep 'em coming guys!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Forget buying her a gun, the last thing you need to do is have Little Ole Mom escalating a situation and getting into a gunfight.

911. Use it. Every time someone is out there call the police, state you have a trespasser and want to press charges and then go back to watching soap operas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are serious you need to buy the police pizza every time you call. Get on a first name basis.

Post signage. Learn the laws and what is legal. Get oc spray. Be willing to be called a MF er alot. Be willing to meet agression wit equal or overwhelming force.

Strong Chain strung  between the trees painted yellow with no tress passing signs hung in the middle.

Being visibly able to defend your person and property.

In addition to the garand. Go buy two inexpensive .38 spl revolvers. And fanny packs holsters for him and her. That way they have oc and lethal defense on them on their own property
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Where in the county do they live?
I live in that county and have had the same problems, thieving is a way of life passed from father to son in this area.
have your mom check out this book from the libraryhttp://cat.trl.org/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/x/SC/0/5?srchfield1=GENERAL^SUBJECT^GENERAL^^words+or+phrase&searchoper1=AND%20&thesaurus1=GENERAL&search_entries1=GENERAL&search_type1=SUBJECT&library=ALL%20&match_on=KEYWORD%20&shadow=NO&sort_by=AU&searchdata1=bad%20asses%20and%20thieves

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

M1 carbine... or I shudder to say it a Mini-14 might fit the bill here for your mother too.

It seems wooden stocks and no pistol grips are a common theme when mentally getting quasi-anti's over the "firepower hump" as it were.

Skip the Mini 14, go for the Carbine.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're going to fence the land, find a farmer with some cows and let him put some cows on the land.  Specifically, you want a couple of cows with the biggest nastiest horns you can find.  Mind you, the cows should be as friendly and docile as possible.  This ensures that every time people appear, the cows will come running (for grain), but won't actually hurt anyone.  In my experience, people think cows with horns are man-eaters.

This has worked effectively on three different pieces of land where we've had serious trespassing problems.

You can also go with ostriches or llamas, but they are generally territorial and may actually take a piece out of someone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you're going to fence the land, find a farmer with some cows and let him put some cows on the land.  Specifically, you want a couple of cows with the biggest nastiest horns you can find.  Mind you, the cows should be as friendly and docile as possible.  This ensures that every time people appear, the cows will come running (for grain), but won't actually hurt anyone.  In my experience, people think cows with horns are man-eaters.

This has worked effectively on three different pieces of land where we've had serious trespassing problems.

You can also go with ostriches or llamas, but they are generally territorial may actually take a piece out of someone.

out here they would hunt them !
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also go with ostriches or llamas, but they are generally territorial may actually take a piece out of someone.

out here they would hunt them !

Here, hunting livestock that isn't yours is a class A misdemeanor and may also get felony animal cruelty.  Obviously, this would depend on state laws, but most states have similar laws.  

The cops may not be aggressive about trespassing, but animal cruelty or illegal hunting will generally get them going.  I'm not advocating that you try to get the animals shot.  Just pointing out that should someone actually shoot the animals, the sheriff would really have no choice but to get involved.  If you got the shooter on game cameras, even better...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I also have a wonderful ghillie suit and I think a fun weekend could be had popping up out of nowhere and giving some verbal warnings about being somewhere you shouldn't.....I may even have some buddies to help.

This sounds like a plan for a great weekend!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In 2010, an Arfcommer was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn't commit. This man promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Seattle underground. Today, still wanted by the government, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire the E-Team.

Seriously, though. I'll kill them all for tree fiddy.

If you can't afford the tree fiddy, I'd recommend that you have Mom start wandering around with Fox Labs and/or a Taser if she isn't DTF with the G19.

LOL
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Plant blackberry bushes and other thorny things in places where they often walk.

Put up signs warning about how you're trapping the area. Hell, put up some traps too.

"But officer –– I have a bear license!  Of course I have bear traps!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Weld the gate shut.  Place boulders or a huge dirt berm on the road behind the gate.  Might as well get both sides of the property at the same time.

My dad actually had a guy who went through the effort of moving a boulder just to trespass on his property.  Literally moved it a good 6 feet...somehow...so he could get back onto his property.  He never did figure out why they were back there as nothing was disturbed and no trash was dumped.  Solution: Bigger boulder.

He literally has 3 to 6 stories per year about confronting people who tresspass to pick mushrooms, hunt, or steal his rocks to use in landscaping.

People are just unreal sometimes...

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a good idea in WA, it will bring the DFW snooping around since leg hold traps were banned in WA several years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a good idea in WA, it will bring the DFW snooping around since leg hold traps were banned in WA several years ago.

Game Wardens are great for keeping trespassers away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At the range I used to be a member of, they had a locked gate - now a padlock gets shot off every time, so they had a system where there was a tubular steel assembly with a slot that the gate tongue fit into.  the padlock goes INSIDE this, so it cant be shot off, everything is heavy guage steel.  Find a metal fabrication shop and be prepared to pay.

This.

Weld all the other gates shut.

After that, anyone caught out there is looking for trouble. Call the cops, call the local game warden, call out tow trucks. Prosecute. Make friends with your local law enforcement.

On the fun and reckless side, go buy a large tractor with a set of pallet forks on the front. Remove all the offending cars yourself.

This is cheap too, doesn't do any permanent damage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Guys,

I need some creative ideas to help my parents out. They live in the Seattle area and bought property near Aberdeen/Gray's Harbor about ten years ago. It's a 40 acre parcel with a road going thru it. The road has always been gated and closed to the public, but was considered a county road because of an agreement made in the early 1900's with the land owners. Between then and now, the county failed to live up to it's end of the bargain and after years of tormenting the County Comissioners trying to get them to vacate the road and more importantly let them build on their own property, the road is private again.

Do you have a Deed from the County conveying the Roadway Right-of-Way Easement back to your folks? Without a Deed, nothing has conveyed.

Ok, so getting back to the land: The woods around their property have been logged by Weyerhouser, and people just LOVE to come out there to dump trash, shoot, go on a walkabout etc. My parents have been polite for several years, telling them to leave, putting signs up etc. They are still having problems-the locks on the gates get cut off, the signs get shot, and directly telling people they aren't supposed to be there is a serious problem now. My mother spends a lot of time there thru the week while my dad is at work, she's going from Middle Aged to Little Old Ladyhood. The last time she tried to tell one of these guys to leave, he cussed her out, told her that my parents didn't belong there, was a general asshole. He was also armed-he had a rifle with him.

Try some No Tresspassing signs that also state that "This property patroled by armed security". Armed mo-fo comes on my property and gives me grief, I call the law. Cutting the lock off may be 'breaking and entering', surely 'criminal tresspass'. Go see the Sheriff.

My mom is a 1960's era farm girl turned pacifist. She's not ideologically opposed to 'guns', but not really into the idea of anything other than hunting and target rifles. My Dad was in the USAF in the 1970's and has little use for guns. In the past they have made mention of getting something like a Remington 700 "for bears and cougar" while on the property. Well, I think they have thawed out a little-my Mom mentioned getting a rifle again for "Just in case", so I offered her my CMP Garand (Get off my lawn (TM) and a lot faster follow up shots than a Rem. 700) not being too sure what my Dad would think about it. Turns out that he's ok with the idea so I have been going about getting the gun set up for low light shooting by non-gun people. I picked up a scout rail for it and will probably fit it with a Reflex sight and a flashlight.

IMHO a Garrand is too much weapon for a 'little old lady'...it's heavy, it has a lot of recoil, and it's limited on rounds. The last thing you want is for her to try and wield a rifle she can't handle. That's a recipe for disaster! Get her an AR pistol or something she can handle. Lighter weight, more rounds, less recoil.

What I need are ideas on how to stop the trespassing problem. Mom is already asking me about game cameras-which I know little about-to catch these guys. I like the idea of getting their license plate numbers and sending them warning letters if plate numbers are public information in WA state. If I had my way, I'd go out and spend a week camping there and send a few packing "my way", but that isn't realistic or feasible.

What have you guys done to fix trespassing problems on properties that you can't stay at full time? My parents are starting their construction plans and I'd hate to see everything they do get burned to the ground by some shithead who thinks he has more right to the property than they do because he has trespassed there for the last 20 years.

Get you Mom a cell-phone and put 911 on speed dial. Teach her not to hesitate to report armed intruders to the Sheriff....and go see the Sheriff to let him know the situation....or just shoot a couple of the tresspassers...word will get around soon enough.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#24]
What's with the Garand stuff?  A guy suggested a Mini-14 or M1 CARBINE.  These are two good suggestions for small, light, low recoiling, easy to handle rifles for defensive use.

Certainly you guys know the difference between the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#25]
how many entry ways are there to the property?  Just that one road?

Put up some cameras where they are comming in and a big sign that says you are on tape and will be prosecuted for trespassing if you survive the gunshot wounds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I feel their pain.
I've posted before about all the trespassers here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Have them find a good friend that hunts and "sell" them a hunting lease.  Cost for said lease is making sure that no one else trespasses on the property.  Hunters will defend "their" turf like nobody's business.  And that SHOULD help with the dangerous animal issues as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Kitsap County Sheriff's department just had a trespasser try to kill an off duty trooper outside his home. The trooper put the bad guy down.

She should talk to the Sheriff's department about trespassers and what she can do.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Confrontations aside, your parents need to wake up to the fact that the odds are one of these unwelcome trespassers is eventually going to get hurt, or shoot another trespasser, and they will be sued and lose their property.  post the fences, call the sheriffs, and call them frequently.  prosecute.  follow through.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Something I heard a The Survival Podcast about retreat properties I think would work here.

Post signs warning that there is a range in operation on the property.  This sends the message that A) people are armed on the property, and B) you might catch a bullet wandering around.

Also another good one from the show was "You're not lost, you're trespassing."

I'll see if I can find the episode # and post it up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Have them find a good friend that hunts and "sell" them a hunting lease. Cost for said lease is making sure that no one else trespasses on the property. Hunters will defend "their" turf like nobody's business. And that SHOULD help with the dangerous animal issues as well.

that is a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Get crime scene tape and stage a fake murder scene.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Talk to a tow company about putting up their signs.  For them it is like panning for gold.

This, if applicable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hang a trespasser on the fence?

Worked in the old days. I'd think they would get the point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Only legal thing I can think of is post the property, run fencing and call the police/file trespass charges against everyone you catch on the property.

Yep. Gotta be careful about setting traps. In Illinois ( I know, my state sucks) if you set traps you can be liable both civilly and criminally if somebody is injured, even on private property.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the same problem.   all my private land is posted. everyone knows it and  most want to deer hunt on it.

I have to patrol it  one a week during  bow season.

last weekend  about 300 yards behind my house I came up on a tree stand!!!

a mother fucker put up a ladder stand right behind my house!!  even cut down trees to make a clear field of fire for himself..  I went into a homicidal rage.. I ripped that fuckin treestand down. bent the ladders that attach to it and through the 2 sections of ladder  over  opposite hills( cliffs) 300 yards away. torn off the cushion seat. rpped off the camo cover around it. and shot the  frame all to hell with my AR15

I kinda wish I could be there when he comes back  saturday morning thinking he is going to kill the 16 point deer everyone  knows lives on my property that I allow no hunting on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Trespassers will be shot signs all over the place. Then once in a  while pour some deer or cow blood in an area and rope it off with police tape where they can see it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
An AR would be better for her. Lighter, less recoil.

I'm pretty sure that won't fly with my parents. If I could get her anything, it would be a 9mm AR-we are talking about a retirement aged woman who has not shot a gun since she was a kid, there's no sense in getting her something that she won't use.

Hmm.... Marlin Camp 9.... I just need to find something that she won't get freaked out about-they aren't at a point where they need to walk their property with an AR at all times yet, that's a pretty big psychological leap for my parents.

Get something that you like because it will be yours soon enough.

You are talking about a law enforcement problem. Post the property the way the law states.
Make them be pains in the asses to the police, the police will get tired of calls and not be very kind to tresspassers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Trespassers will be shot signs all over the place. Then once in a  while pour some deer or cow blood in an area and rope it off with police tape where they can see it.

As suggested with 'range markers'  so they get the feeling someone knows how far out they are... large rocks painted with numbers of stakes with colored  flags. Milk jugs hanging from low lying limbs with bullet holes will get a message across.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Blackberry bushes are very common around here. Plant a bunch along the fence line, along with some posion oak, poison ivy, nettles, etc.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#43]
call the game warden. thats usally a federal officer, they are not friendly.  post signage. cut the road with a back-hoe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#44]
there are gates you can get made of real sturdy pipe, like drill stem, that have a lock mechanism where the lock is up inside a cylinder (picture a coke can with the bottom end cut off) and it's practically impossible to cut the lock.  get one of those setups with side runs made of pipe welded together out to where they can't drive around it and that will help with the gate issue.

trees/bushes in other areas that aren't actual roads will discourage access there.

the rest of it you just have to be diligent and catch the fuckers and prosecute.  once people get used to using land they feel like they own the joint and it's hard to get rid of them.

edit: the post about the hunting lease is a good idea.  hunters who pay for a lease will clear out trespassers in a hurry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#45]
went back and read the OP. get them guns they can handle, they are asking for them. if i had a bonehead on my land,ARMED, telling me i didnt belong there... id ask him nice to put the rifle down  on the ground ONCE. sounds like you may have to let the locals know some things. good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

went back and read the OP. get them guns they can handle, they are asking for them. if i had a bonehead on my land,ARMED, telling me i didnt belong there... id ask him nice to put the rifle down on the ground ONCE. sounds like you may have to let the locals know some things. good luck.

This. No one tells me what to do on my property.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#47]
There is no need for violence.

1.  mom and dad always carry a cell phone.
2.  option no one when running into an asshole -
    hello 911 Need help.  white male, mid 40s ,5;7" , tan shirt, blue jeans.  Armed with a handgun.  Threatening me.  License no. 5555jhg.
3.  option no two when running into an asshole.
    hello Mike. white male, mid 40s ,5;7" , tan shirt, blue jeans.  Armed with a handgun.  Threatening me.  License no. 5555jhg.  Bring the handyman and firearms.

4.  forget the bs about locks being shot off.  Have a knowledgable person put a motion detector strip in the road that can be deactivated remotely and turned on.  Have it hooked to an alarm siren.  Person shoots lock, drives in, sets off alarm.  Probably won't be back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
We had trouble at camp years ago. My grandfather had signs made up that said "Caution BEAR TRAPS" and placed them on trees around the camp. Trouble stopped.

If the signs don't work....traps will.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]

The question isn't how to get people to stop trespassing. It's how to get them to stop trespassing more than once.

And I think you already know the answer to that.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Based on what I have been reading you need a Pit Bull the most ferocious animal known to man.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top