Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#1]

"...my least favorite hated fish would have to be sole...sole have no eyes..."

"I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog."

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please explain. Are they both Tuna? I thought they were the same.  Like Semi & Semi
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonito or Bonita? They're two completely different fish. One is excellent the other is cat food.

Please explain. Are they both Tuna? I thought they were the same.  Like Semi & Semi

Don't ask people in the south about spelling  Apparently in the south we don't get the feminine/masculine spelling difference.  Your wife is probably bonita.  you may be bonito.  Cats and catfish are both animals but I'd rather eat catfish.

What I'm talking about are "Bonito" or Little Tunny or False Albacore.  Not the Atlantic Bonito.  Some people (especially in FL, AL and MS) call them Bonita.  The problem is they're related to tuna, mackeral and skipjacks- genus is Sarda.  There seems to be a lot of confusion here- especially on boats and docks and other institutions of higher learning.  I wouldn't give you a dollar for a trash can full of mackeral.  They are of no use to me as I can't filet them, freeze them, haul them 6 hours home then enjoy them later.

Mackeral and Bonito are both oily fish with blood lines down their middles, and need to be prepped the same, except the Bonito need the extra step of soaking in ice water for hours to bleed out the filets.  Both are good within hours of being caught.  Neither is good prepped poorly or frozen and cooked later.

In TN a skipjack is bait.  Nothing more.  Again, the family of fish are comprised of 8 species from 4 different genuses.  It is all a bit confusing.  In the Gulf we catch mostly Little Tunny Bonito (False Albacore) and occasionally some Atlantic Bonito.

All us rednecks call anything in the Sardini tribe a "BONITA".  Should make things simple but actually has the opposite effect- we are referring to eight different fish by the incorrectly spelled name of bonita.

Does that help clear it up?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
And anybody that refers to Little Tunny (Bonito, False Albacore) as "trash fish" probably has a 3 legged dog named Lucky, a fat ugly wife and chews tobacco.  Most likely they live in a trailer and their entire wardrobe consists of cheap pocket T-shirts and shorts from Wal Mart.  Usually they live in boat shoes, smoke Marlboro cigarettes and make their living off gratuities and swiping perfectly edible sushi grade fish from uninformed tourists on charter docks and selling them to sushi restaurants.

Most live in FL and post on arfcom.  Most say they've fished the Gulf all their lives.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't ask people in the south about spelling  Apparently in the south we don't get the feminine/masculine spelling difference.  Your wife is probably bonita.  you may be bonito.  Cats and catfish are both animals but I'd rather eat catfish.

What I'm talking about are "Bonito" or Little Tunny or False Albacore.  Not the Atlantic Bonito.  Some people (especially in FL, AL and MS) call them Bonita.  The problem is they're related to tuna, mackeral and skipjacks- genus is Sarda.  There seems to be a lot of confusion here- especially on boats and docks and other institutions of higher learning.

In TN a skipjack is bait.  Nothing more.  Again, the family of fish are comprised of 8 species from 4 different genuses.  It is all a bit confusing.  In the Gulf we catch mostly Little Tunny Bonito (False Albacore) and occasionally some Atlantic Bonito.

All us rednecks call anything in the Sardini tribe a "BONITA".  Should make things simple but actually has the opposite effect- we are referring to eight different fish by the incorrectly spelled name of bonita.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonito or Bonita? They're two completely different fish. One is excellent the other is cat food.

What I'm talking about are "Bonito" or Little Tunny or False Albacore.  Not the Atlantic Bonito.  Some people (especially in FL, AL and MS) call them Bonita.  The problem is they're related to tuna, mackeral and skipjacks- genus is Sarda.  There seems to be a lot of confusion here- especially on boats and docks and other institutions of higher learning.

Yes, we are talking about the same fish
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skip Jacks (bonito) are delicious I prefer blackfin, bonita (little tunny) are bait. Although I can't tell you how many times I've had requests for bonita. I've loined them out bagged them up and handed them over. They are great stone crab bait.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So you think a skipjack is a Bonito, but a Little Tunny is a Bonita?  Really?

Maybe do a little research and get back to us with some facts to back that up.  There's this inconvenient fact that every species has a specific scientific classification.  I think if you check you will find that we are talking about different fish.

All this talk about bait is bullshit.  I know Bonito make great bait, as do a ton of other fish.  Being good bait has nothing to do with a fish being good to eat.  A cut mackerel, grouper, pompano or dolphin would be fine bait.  I love using cut skipjacks in deep freshwater lakes here for bait.  Never thought of eating one but the ones here are about 5 or 6 inches long.  Good for striper fishing but not so good for eating.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
SKIPJACK

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Perciformes
Family: Scombridae
Subfamily: Scombrinae
Tribe: Thunnini
Genus: Katsuwonus
Kishinouye, 1915
Species: K. pelamis
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Bonito

Atlantic bonito, Sarda sarda

Subfamily: Scombrinae
Tribe: Sardini

Sorry, there is no fish with the scientific name Bonita.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
a lot of what people eat thinking they are getting scallops, is really skate or stingray. lay out the meat, punch out pieces with a thin piece of pipe, enjoy your "scallops".
View Quote

I came here to tell that exact story, as told to me by my dad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Little Tunny

Genus: Euthynnus
Species: E. alletteratus

But enough facts.  I'd eat a Bonito properly prepared WAY before I'd eat a skate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe do a little research and get back to us with some facts to back that up.  There's this inconvenient fact that every species has a specific scientific classification.  I think if you check you will find that we are talking about different fish.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, and I don't care about scientific names. Been fishing in Florida for 40 years. I've spent nearly as many hours on the water as I have on land. Every fish has several names. I still call goliath groper (gasp) jewfish. Skippy's will always be Bonito and Bonita will aiways be Little Tunny. It's what we locals have always called them.

And for your educational reference

The skipjack tuna, Katsuwonus pelamis, is a medium-sized perciform fish in the tuna family, Scombridae. It is otherwise known as the aku, arctic bonito, mushmouth, oceanic bonito, striped tuna, or victor fish.

I've never caught or eaten an Atlantic Bonito. I don't know anyone personally whose ever caught one even though it's in our waters. But if I happen to catch one, it'll get bled, and go straight on ice.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, and I don't care about scientific names. Been fishing in Florida for 40 years. I've spent nearly as many hours on the water as I have on land. Every fish has several names. I still call goliath groper (gasp) jewfish. Skippy's will always be Bonito and Bonita will aiways be Little Tunny. It's what we locals have always called them.

I've never caught or eaten an Atlantic Bonito. I don't know anyone personally whose ever caught one even though it's in our waters. But if I happen to catch one, it'll get bled, and go straight on ice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The skipjack tuna, Katsuwonus pelamis, is a medium-sized perciform fish in the tuna family, Scombridae. It is otherwise known as the aku, arctic bonito, mushmouth, oceanic bonito, striped tuna, or victor fish.

Don't think they were Skipjack type. I caught them at Redondo Bch Cali. growing up in the mid 60s- 70s good times
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top