Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the box marked ORM-D?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's not illegal, merely UPS Corporate policy, in some cases.

UPS will, for example, ship firearms. However, they cannot be shippied from a UPS Store, they must be shipped from the hub.

I don't think UPS Corp. trusts the franchises to know the laws and follow them enough to keep UPS out of hot water.

It's more WY6 than Machiavellian.

Wholly shit... did you make a bet you could use that in a sentance?  Very articulate today... are you drunk Evil?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Tard at my local UPS refused to ship a gun barrel. Fuck them. No more of my money for them.

Isn't a gun barrel just another "machine part"?

It's not in itself a firearm.

Do they really need to know exactly what it is, If you know it is not illegal to ship?  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I cant believe that so many people on here dont know the difference between UPS Stores and UPS.  Try reading the UPS regulations

+1.

Why does UPS get so much hate when they tell you up front to not bother shipping gun stuff the the "UPS Store".
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just lie and make it easy on everyone

If I was there, thats exactly what I would have done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah the UPS Stores are worthless for shipping anything other than cupcakes and towels.  I always go to the main UPS distribution hub in town - never a problem.  Ammo, firearms, receivers, etc.; never a problem once.

The stores charge more also.

Have to make money somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPS Stores can't ship ORM-D items, only hubs.

This is correct.

Yes it is & in addition the box has to have ORM-D labels affixed to it.

I hear the OP's frustration, but a little more research on his part would have saved him a heap of trouble.

Gonna have to side with UPS on this one. Sorry Jeffreysox... you're the one who went full retard in this instance.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPS Stores can't ship ORM-D items, only hubs.

I sent 500 rounds of Wolf .45 cal back to the importer after I had a couple of squibs. He sent me a pre-paid shipping label, I stuck it on the box (already had the ORM-D on it)  Walked into the local UPS store, said pre-paid, the guy takes it no questions asked.  

OTOH, all you need is an online UPS account and they'll pick the stuff up from your door step.

He broke protocol then.  UPS stores aren't allowed to ship ORM-D materials.  They have to go through a hub.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
the UPS Store won't.  but your local UPS hub will, take it to them. attach orm-d label..good to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Jeffreysox, I recommend Fed Ex.  To open an account go to www.fedex.com/us.

Billmanweh, yes, I save time and money with my own account.  I'm paying only Fed Ex, not some store's overhead.

I don't have arguments at counters.  I am never asked the contents of a package.  When I do the shipping label online, it asks only the value of the shipment.  If it is over $500, it is automatically "Signature Required".  If under, default is no sig, they can drop it on the doorstep.  But you can designate it "Signature Required".

Like tojan19 says, just like UPS, Fed Ex is also billed on my credit card.  

I can just drop my pkgs off at any Fed Ex place, or I can schedule a pickup.

I can also arrange to have a package picked up from a customer and brought back to me.  The driver brings a label.

At the end of the month, on the statement, I can see just how much each shipment has cost.

Guys, if you ship this stuff a lot it just makes it easier all around to get your own account.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just lie and make it easy on everyone

This.  Or schedule a pickup, where you just have a driver come by and pick up your package.  The driver doesn't really care what's in the package for the most part.  In my experience, they usually don't ask.  I worked for UPS as a driver helper (temp) in 2007, so I have seen things from the other side as well.

The UPS store isn't "real" UPS.  That's the simplest way to put it.  UPS store employees don't even have to follow the same dress code as UPS ground employees.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got over UPS long ago, Fed-Ex gets my money, no problems at all with them.

UPS shipping station has sign that says No Concealed Handguns Allowed.
Fedex shipping station does not.

Guess which one I use?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
UPS: So, whatcha shippin'?

Me: Machine parts.

UPS: Wow, heavy...what kind of machine?

Me: An industrial waffle maker.

UPS: Cool...that'll be $17.25.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top