BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Jack Russell suffered from the same. For the life of us could not figure out what was causing it. We tried everything in this post....washing feet, benadryl, food, etc etc.

I finally ordered these from Amazon and he has been a much happier dog. I would coat his feet in some coconut oil then apply the booties. After a while the feet healed and he lost interest in itching his feet.

The Amazon description says "large dog" but just select the small size and you'll get good to go.

ETA your dog will walk around like he's got tape on his feet but he will get use to it and walk normal after  a few hours.

www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZBRPJ3
View Quote
good idea i was going to suggest the same thing

hope he gets better,   made me sad to read that his brother died.    poor dog.

give him a pat for me ok ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
get him a head cone, so he can't chew on his feet, until you get it figured out.

Also wash his feet when you get back from your walks, just because you aren't doing something new, doesn't mean a neighbor isn't
View Quote
Use a tortilla wrap

Seriously sounds like allergies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Two suggestions;

- treat him for yeast infection too (try smelling his feet see if they smell odd, any cracking of skin, or discoloration) So, vinegar bath to the feet or other "home remedies" for thrush.

- go to a farm store where you don't have to fuck around with a vet and get one of the "hot spot" / infection / fungus sprays. Any place that would have cow vitamins and crap like that. (Watch out for horse-chicks!) It'll be a squirt bottle or a gel bottle.  I use "Purishield" brand (photo of a horse on it) on my cat as a cleanser for chin acne and foot infections from crappy claws breaking all the time.  There is another brand that is good (i forgot which) that has "activated water" in it which comes in a white bottle or as a blue jel.  Basically these things are like a Datkin's solution.  About 30 dollars a bottle, but less expensive than a vet.

An older dog may not be able to fight off foot fungus anymore, and all it takes is walking through one thing once and he'll be colonized. Thrush would make his feet feel like they are burning all the time, and licking would make it much worse.

Edit: Coconut oil may also help. It has some anti fungal properties as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Change his diet, we give our golden people food, chicken fish beef vegetables sweet potatoes no dog food. Also use coconut oil on his paws
View Quote
It takes 30 days to figure out a specific protein is what your dog is allergic to...by that method.

You need a VARL blood test. This will tell you if your dog is allergic to beef, pork, chicken, lamb, etc,, as well as any other allergens all different grasses, trees,  molds ,etc.

Your Vet will need to submit this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It takes 30 days to figure out a specific protein is what your dog is allergic to...by that method.

You need a VARL blood test. This will tell you if your dog is allergic to beef, pork, chicken, lamb, etc,, as well as any other allergens all different grasses, trees,  molds ,etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change his diet, we give our golden people food, chicken fish beef vegetables sweet potatoes no dog food. Also use coconut oil on his paws

I'm waiting on results right now for one of my dogs, it is expensive though for a lot of people ($500 is the cheapest around here, plus a couple hundred for the serum).

OP, it definitely sounds like environmental allergies, but the fungus suggestion is a good one to look in to.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
one more thing to look at, our local news channel did a thing on a weed that has barbed seed pods that barrow under the skin of people or animals that walk on it and can cause serve reactions in some people\pets
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
And again I will mention plastic food dishes can cause an allergic reaction. I have actually seen this a number of times.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And again I will mention plastic food dishes can cause an allergic reaction. I have actually seen this a number of times.
View Quote
His water is in a Tupperware dish, but food is in ceramic bowl
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
His water is in a Tupperware dish, but food is in ceramic bowl
View Quote
Its a small chance but swap out that Tupperware. I had a dog that developed an allergy to them and have known of many others.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top