User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks light-weight!

Very cool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Your tacks are not centered enough on the baffles.  Your putting all of the penetration into the baffles on the right and not joining the two together.  

Just a habit of welders critiquing other welders welds.  

Other than that.  Amazing project!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Well done!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Group buy an AR version?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]
very very cool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, if you look carefully, I designed slots at the weld unions that permitted me to weld deep into the baffle below then built it up through the slot to the baffle above. If you could see it, the weld fills in the back side of the slot penetrating each lower baffle. You're just seeing the cap of the whole weld region.

Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/MMETALMANN/bafflesinfixture.jpg

Your tacks are not centered enough on the baffles.  Your putting all of the penetration into the baffles on the right and not joining the two together.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Actually, if you look carefully, I designed slots at the weld unions that permitted me to weld deep into the baffle below then built it up through the slot to the baffle above. If you could see it, the weld fills in the back side of the slot penetrating each lower baffle. You're just seeing the cap of the whole weld region.
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/MMETALMANN/bafflesinfixture.jpg

I stand corrected! Shit, didn't even pay attention to the slots.  Now I just need to move to a free state and build one myself!

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#9]
AWESOME!

I wonder how much argon I have in the tank on the mig welder, hmmmmm?

Danny
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Metalman is this thread is pretty awesome, and in the video is even more so, but neither come close to how awesome the guy is in real life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Uh, you serialized the wrong part of your suppressor. The tube body is supposed to be serialized...At least, I think it is. someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sweet DIY project though!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#13]

double

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip....

Cool...

How do you take it apart to clean it?  

He won't have to clean it the normal way. It's built tough enough to put on a 308 gun and blast the lead out of it with a few shots.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread has more win contained in the OP than any other I have every seen.
Just packed with awesome and full of cool.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Its a MONOLITHIC can; the core does not come out. So The serial number IS part of the outside of the can.

Quoted:
Uh, you serialized the wrong part of your suppressor. The tube body is supposed to be serialized...At least, I think it is. someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sweet DIY project though!

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Very cool.

Did you have to do anything special (other than the tax stamp) with the ATF to make a suppressor rather than purchase one?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Now this is a cool thread good job OP!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think ARFcom should officially award you 10 internets. All in favor?

aye
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Are the baffles made of mild steel also?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Nope. This is a Form 1 . It allows ME to make the NFA item! I SBR'ed the UZI as well as my MP5 using Form 1s

Quoted:
Very cool.

Did you have to do anything special (other than the tax stamp) with the ATF to make a suppressor rather than purchase one?

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
AWESOME!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes sir
Quoted:
Are the baffles made of mild steel also?

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Shit, you look like you'd be into some heavy fuckin' metal too!

I award this thread 5 headbangs!

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Very cool, thanks for posting all the pictures of how it was made.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm amazed at how quiet your DIY suppressor is. Was that standard ammo or sub-sonic? I assume the ping with the can on is the metal resonating?

This is an excellent thread. Thanks for sharing this.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I am firing 147 grain Winchester WinClean 9mm subsonic!

Quoted:
I'm amazed at how quiet your DIY suppressor is. Was that standard ammo or sub-sonic? I assume the ping with the can on is the metal resonating?

This is an excellent thread. Thanks for sharing this.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow that thing is quiet. You should go into business doing that. I am impressed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Its a MONOLITHIC can; the core does not come out. So The serial number IS part of the outside of the can.

Quoted:

I thought monolithic was when you take a block of metal and machine it into a baffle stack.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#30]
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

OUTRAGEOUS!  

You, sir, are too cool!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Youtube blocked here, how did you tag the video so I can search for it with my phone? (tried the link, wouldn't work through phone)
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, amazing work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Youtube blocked here, how did you tag the video so I can search for it with my phone? (tried the link, wouldn't work through phone)

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Your pic shows a MONOLITHIC core! MONOLITHIC just implies "ALL ONE THING" . My can is totally MONOLITHIC because the core is all welded together, and then the core is welded to the actual can. Nothing comes apart.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought monolithic was when you take a block of metal and machine it into a baffle stack.  

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ai3qmv.jpg

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I guess it's a cool idea. No need for the general public to have that though, much less make one. You scare me.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Whats an 'internet'?

Quoted:

Ai!

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#37]
10 / 10 - thanks for taking the time to photo and write it up.

In for Parked Photos...and for any pig hunt video...?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Very cool application of the power of independent thinking.

I hope you'll post a few more pics after you get it Parkerized.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Impressive!

For me this is the Post of the Month...

Add a Star to your Man Card...Hell, add 10 Stars to your Man Card...

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

And excellent work on the can!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Your pic shows a MONOLITHIC core! MONOLITHIC just implies "ALL ONE THING" . My can is totally MONOLITHIC because the core is all welded together, and then the core is welded to the actual can. Nothing comes apart.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ai3qmv.jpg

It doesn't matter anyway. I do believe that I'm wrong. I think that why almost all suppressors have their S/N on the tube rather than an endcap is due to baffle strikes and that the tube is less likely to be damaged in the event of a baffle strike.  Anyway, very cool project. That tink tink sound is alot less annoying than the AAC flash hiders.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Why did you use mild steel instead of stainless, or other metal type?  Asking 'cuz I don't know which is best, not criticizing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#43]
That is cool!  Could you make one out of aluminum?  Stainless steel?  Titanium?

Lighter metal = lighter weight.

That looks great!  Very quiet too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#44]
OH HELL YEAH!!!! AWESOME!!!!  

BTW, where did you get the laser cut flats to make into the baffles?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I made them. I program/operate Mazak super Turbo MkII flat lasers where I work.
Quoted:
OH HELL YEAH!!!! AWESOME!!!!  

BTW, where did you get the laser cut flats to make into the baffles?

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Very Nice! You should go into business making them!

I bet most of the people in this thread on this site would buy one!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#48]
DAMN NICE JOB!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Whats an 'internet'?

Quoted:

It is a notional reward given to people who have contributed something valuable to an internet community ... in other words he is saying you did a good job!

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That is cool!  Could you make one out of aluminum?  Stainless steel?  Titanium?

Lighter metal = lighter weight.

That looks great!  Very quiet too.

20 internets awarded to you for this thread. Congrats! Anything over 10 gets you a phone call from Al Gore by the way.

Curious about the questions above.

Are you far from Wichita? I have a dealer down there I need to see this fall. Would love to see that in person, meet the builder. I'd buy you lunch (plus shells) to shoot that marvelous wonder... Congrats! Hell of a job!!!!

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top