Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:50:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By _Soggy_:
I don't understand why there aren't more barebones gyms. Just weights, racks, and mats. They are a lot less expensive than machines. I'm stuck doing deadlifts in the squat rack because there isn't any mats. I haven't had the gusto to try cleans :D. Inb4 the haters.

Most people want shiny things and the promise of fitness without discomfort.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:53:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By _Soggy_:
I don't understand why there aren't more barebones gyms. Just weights, racks, and mats. They are a lot less expensive than machines. I'm stuck doing deadlifts in the squat rack because there isn't any mats. I haven't had the gusto to try cleans :D. Inb4 the haters.

they don't make any money
The market talks, and the 3000 people who don't come, more than pay for the 300 people who do.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:54:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 11:57:00 AM EDT by sturmjr]
The gym we used to go to (Urban Active) has a cardio theatre. It's a big dark room with a bunch of cardio machines, and a projector that plays movies on a big screen. But they only had 4 benches, 1 smith machine, and 1 squat rack.

ETA: Oh, and of course a designated "women only" area that was secluded from the rest. Sexism and racism works as long as you're not a White male.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:56:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sturmjr:
The gym we used to go to (Urban Active) has a cardio theatre. It's a big dark room with a bunch of cardio machines, and a projector that plays movies on a big screen. But they only had 4 benches, 1 smith machine, and 1 squat rack.

that's pretty fucking cool (cardio wise anyway, not the lacking other stuff) actually.

I always thought that would be a good idea.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:58:13 AM EDT
watch your keys .... just sayin
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 11:59:49 AM EDT by Fast_Jimmy]
Originally Posted By I_am_Dan:
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
ROFL crossfit...

So, a guy I know, around 23-24 years old, unemployed, was spending his Unemployment money on doing crossfit.

I told him he's fucking crazy, might as well just get a labor position for a construction company or as a driller helper for a water well company and at least get paid to do the same shit.

My sisters ex boyfriend does cross fit, health freak, skinny, pharmacist. I took him climbing once and broke his little heart, that he couldn't keep up with me

That happened to me with a friend of mine who body builds- cut like a monster but petered out after 3k feet of elevation gain (where I dialed down the pace considerably) 500 ft. short of the summit on a class 3 climb. Climbing is F'ing hard unless you've specifically trained for it and have the right mind set. In other words, I F'ing love it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:59:16 AM EDT
Buncha beta non-lifting phaggots

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:59:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Originally Posted By sturmjr:

that's pretty fucking cool (cardio wise anyway, not the lacking other stuff) actually.

I always thought that would be a good idea.

I actually think it's pretty cool. But it's 2 stories and the down stairs is part free-weights, part machines, a Women's only area, and a basketball court. While the entire upstairs is all cardio. Could use a little more free-weight stuff, as that is always the most crowded area.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:04:03 PM EDT
Meh, went the home gym route too. Just no time otherwise. Got a cage for squats, presses, etc and a few cable goodies too. Mostly free weights but the cables do come in handy to round things out. Just added a hdtv in front of the elliptical. Was at Costco and it was $189 for a 32". Got an HDMI splitter and 50' of cable, all is good. I don't use it on "cardio" days but on my low-and-slow fat burn days it makes the time fly by. Anyways this gym is in the garage. Actually took around 2 years from buying to getting off my ass and using the stuff. It's a tight fit and not really fancy but perfectly functional.....

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:04:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Buncha beta non-lifting phaggots

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:09:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By I_am_Dan:
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
ROFL crossfit...

So, a guy I know, around 23-24 years old, unemployed, was spending his Unemployment money on doing crossfit.

I told him he's fucking crazy, might as well just get a labor position for a construction company or as a driller helper for a water well company and at least get paid to do the same shit.

My sisters ex boyfriend does cross fit, health freak, skinny, pharmacist. I took him climbing once and broke his little heart, that he couldn't keep up with me

Had an incredibly fit patient... With a disc herniation. 33yo guy, healthy as you could ask to be. Rock hard, muscled, but not huge. Surgery for a herniation at his age.

Skip ahead a year. I realized I needed more total body work rather than focusing on just what I liked and was good at. Heard about Crossfit and thought I would check it out. Walk in, and there is my patient, banging weights. Come to find out, he was the owner. I did the workouts a few times, and realized I would be physically injured within a month if I kept going. Olympic weight lifting is great for exercise, but is is so unstable and difficult to maintain form for safety. I was watching these people slinging weights around and I knew that they were just a tweak away from really hurting themselves. I decided to go another route, and hired a really tough trainer that understands I am 44yo and will NOT put myself in the position to be my own patient.

He pushes me, but knows to keep the exercises safe. He kicks my ass 3 times a week. Total body workout. Best workouts I have ever had and best results as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:10:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr_Mowett:
Originally Posted By gomulego:
I have a power rack I can use at any time that is in my basement with a full set of weights. I don't have to wipe somebody else's skanky sweat off of it to use it either. What is this foo foo gym membership thing you speak of? Is that like a social club?

This is the way to go. I put one of these in my garage last year and I don't miss the gym.

http://www.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/header_sm_image/0dc2d03fe217f8c83829496872af24a0/r/4/r4-h1_1_1.jpg

And it's not gathering dust. Every day someone uses it. My gym had a power rack but I wasted a lot of time getting there, waiting for it to be free, searching the club for plates, etc. And it didn't have the close hole spacing in the bench press area so I couldn't find a safe way to bench alone.

That is what I like about mine. I don't need (or even have) a spotter.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:23:05 PM EDT
I have a power rack I can use at any time that is in my basement with a full set of weights. I don't have to wipe somebody else's skanky sweat off of it to use it either. What is this foo foo gym membership thing you speak of? Is that like a social club?

Where I live, and extra bedroom for my equipment would cost $250 more per month in rent. My gym membership is $20 per month. I would love to have my own gym, but paying over ten times as much for the convenience just isn't worth it.z
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:16:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Originally Posted By myfathersson:
That contraption in the lower right of the pic looks like an old car CD player. What is it?
DVD player. DIN-mounted ones are more shock tolerant than your average commercial player, so they can stand up to being mounted on fitness equipment.

Kharn

People bring DVD's to the gym?
Do they have a Redbox in the lobby?
Why don't they just watch MTV or Oprah like everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:20:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:30:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr_Mowett:

This is the way to go. I put one of these in my garage last year and I don't miss the gym.

http://www.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/header_sm_image/0dc2d03fe217f8c83829496872af24a0/r/4/r4-h1_1_1.jpg

And it's not gathering dust. Every day someone uses it. My gym had a power rack but I wasted a lot of time getting there, waiting for it to be free, searching the club for plates, etc. And it didn't have the close hole spacing in the bench press area so I couldn't find a safe way to bench alone.

Sweet, but I don't have the room. I hit the gym at 5 when it opens (one smith machine, one squat rack). It's only about 3 blocks away.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:48:37 PM EDT
I think I'll have to end up going the home gym route eventually. The downside is the costs really add up over versus the $15 a month to spend a member of my gym, which is apparently now a cardio bunny social club. A Concept 2 rower runs about a grand, and a full Rogue wall-mount cage setup like I'd like would run 2-3 grand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:54:29 PM EDT
Just find an indoor climbing gym, play some indoor soccer, and drink water (cut out sodas). Best shape I've ever been in.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:04:59 PM EDT
You need to find a better gym.

Here's what mine looks like:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top