Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Page two says that he drives by closed hair salons all the time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Government Job needs a taxpayer
Welder needs a steel supplier/Fuel
Mortician needs a casket burial/plot sale
Soldier needs a war
Hairdresser needs to sell coloring/perms
Dr/Nurse needs Insured customer
Teacher needs a homeowner

Nothing is safe

Stiff Tariffs on Imports / Profit sharing businesses / Out the unions / Taking off the leashes of those who make money would be a great start

We only need an American Economy
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The only 3 industries that will do good no matter how bad things are?

Alcohol
Gambling
Sex

Food.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would think garbage collector would be a pretty recession proof job.  Unless you like in Napels it seems like garbage collection is something that nobody wants local government to "cut" even when the economy is bad.

The liquor industry has to be pretty recession-proof, since some people seem to drink MORE during a recession.

I wonder if car repair is pretty recession proof.  During the good times, people are good about getting regular scheduled maintenance done, and during the bad times, people keep their old cars longer instead of buying new cars, necessitating larger repairs.

You're on a Real Roll of Random thoughts today??
Yes I'm Calling you Out!!
Get a "Real Job"  Please!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]

booze and sex are two fairly recession-proof industries. people partake in them when times are good as a form of celebration. people partake in them when times are bad to forget their troubles.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Recession proof my ass...

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I can see myself homeless, but still seeing my stylist. Eating is optional, getting my hair did is not.

What you did there, I see what you did.

Sleeping any better?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
anybody ever figured up how much a barber or hair dresser makes?
the lady I go to is $10 for a hair cut ten minutes a person thats $60 a hour
how much does the shop and all that cost her? no idea
but it seems like decent money and her job is more secure than mine...

if I won the lottery a old style barber shop with traditional shaves and cigars would be my play business
I dont want to cut hair or shave anybody but I do want to sit in a antique barber chair and smoke cigars and bs all day lol  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I always heard that the recession proof career was accounting.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I can see myself homeless, but still seeing my stylist. Eating is optional, getting my hair did is not.

What you did there, I see what you did.

Sleeping any better?

Some good days, some bad days.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Read the title and immediately though she was a hooker. Needless to say I am very disappointed.
Same

Glad to see I'm not the only sick person here.

Although I wouldn't entirely say it's recession-proof.  I'll go without getting a haircut if I'm broke.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...at dinner.

What's the profession, you ask?

Hairdresser.

I was thinking Sandwich maker

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't been to a barber since 9th grade. I've been cutting my hair since then and I'm 37. I cut my son,brother and times my Dad's hair.

I know some women that are starting to do their own hair also...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#14]
$30 about two years ago and haven't paid a dime since.  I figure I've saved $240 since I got them and getting my hair cut is much more convenient.  Barbers will be hurt well before hairdressers.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

hooker or mortician are the only two recession proof professions i can think of.

Drug dealer and liquor store clerk also.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...at dinner.

Hairdresser.

That's funny. When I was unemployed, I didn't get my hair cut as often and even started cutting it myself. I'd keep cutting it myself now that I'm employed again, but it's a lot of work in the shower, makes a huge mess, and you can't always be quite as sure if you got every last piece of hair trimmed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
My family has run a funeral home since 1865,  NO SUCH THING as a recession proof business.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I find it hilarious that in a thread about hairdressers, guys are posting how much they save by cutting thier own hair.

Salons don't make their money on cavemen getting a clipper job.  

Colors, highlights, lowlights, perms and straighteners, the money is in the chemicals, gentleman.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I find it hilarious that in a thread about hairdressers, guys are posting how much they save by cutting thier own hair.

Colors, highlights, lowlights, perms and straighteners, the money is in the chemicals, gentleman.

Color is how I'm hooked. I've had my girlfriends trim it before. I need my hairdresser to do my roots or I look like trailer trash. Looking perfect and blond gives me the confidence to make money. Bleachjobs are like a peptalk or an investment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Color is how I'm hooked. I've had my girlfriends trim it before. I need my hairdresser to do my roots or I look like trailer trash. Looking perfect and blond gives me the confidence to make money. Bleachjobs are like a peptalk or an investment.

Very few women are going to grow out a skunk line. They will never be able to match and keep a professionals job, either.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Funny, I just made an appointment to get my hair cut.  The last time I had it done was two years ago.

Don't you even at least get your split ends knocked off every month or so?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very few women are going to grow out a skunk line. They will never be able to match and keep a professionals job, either.

When I was broke and had a job that would tolerate it, I had serious roots going on. I look like Debbie Harry anyway, and my girlfriend said I looked punk rock rather than just trashy. I hope I never look like that again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe, but my barber said people choose to go longer between haircuts when times are tough so I wouldnt call it completely recession proof.

Or they do like I do and start taking the #2 guard to themselves and spend 0 on hair.

This is what I do...  Two of my friends still go to the same barber I used too and they say he been complaining about it slowing down a lot...  People are waiting a lot longer between cuts or doing it themselves...

Been doing it myself as of a year and a half ago.  Cheaper, and easier, just to buzz it, myself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Pics.  Now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...at dinner.

Hairdresser.

Its possible.

I've heard anecdotes that beauticians were the only occupation to not see a signifigant loss during the Depression.

Apparently vanity has no income bounds.

I've heard the same about lipstick sales. There are some amenities women will not do without.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#27]
i have been in/around the hair products and salon industry for 15 years...if she works at a medium-nice salon (where cuts are $50+) she's pretty much right...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
mortician are the only two recession proof professions i can think of.

A good family friend is a funeral director.  He worked for one facility but it closed down.  I think he just floats from funeral home to funeral home to see what needs to be done(driving hearses, setting up arrangements, he's been known to sit in on an embalming or two.)

If it got too much for me to pay $15 to get my hair cut at the same person I've been going to for YEARS, I'd get a replacement blade for my trimmer and do it myself or have a friend or family member do it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My mom's a hairdresser. It's not as recession-proof as your friend's wife thinks it is.

Can you expound on that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would think garbage collector would be a pretty recession proof job.  Unless you like in Napels it seems like garbage collection is something that nobody wants local government to "cut" even when the economy is bad.

The liquor industry has to be pretty recession-proof, since some people seem to drink MORE during a recession.

I wonder if car repair is pretty recession proof.  During the good times, people are good about getting regular scheduled maintenance done, and during the bad times, people keep their old cars longer instead of buying new cars, necessitating larger repairs.

Naples had to be the dirtiest city I have seen!!

Barcelona otoh was beautiful, as was Triest....

Mostar however was blown to hell!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#31]
If the woman has an established clientele, she'll do OK.

Women, and some men, can skip some hair cuts but won't stop altogether unless its some kind of Mad Max SHTF.

Everybody feels good after a haircut.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#32]
About a year ago I took almost everything out of my mutual funds and bought a liquor store.  It was just blind luck, right place at the right time, but damn, how smart do I look now?!?!  

DanO
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was broke and had a job that would tolerate it, I had serious roots going on. I look like Debbie Harry anyway, and my girlfriend said I looked punk rock rather than just trashy. I hope I never look like that again.

Pending on the colors that style can look pretty hot IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Repo guys are also pretty recession proof.

However when the banks and financial institutions collapse, they will no longer be employed, and likely taking up a stool at the local bar
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top