User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had a sheltie that had occasional seizures. After we moved, she never had another. Only thing that changed for her was going from shitty low pressure (lots of leaks) community well water to our own water well. That might be an easy and inexpensive change to your dogs diet that has not been considered. There are no open ditches around your property that your dog might be getting in are there?
View Quote

No she's an indoor dog mostly and doesn't go out unsupervised.  We give her water from the Brita filter so that should be ok.  Otherwise nothing I can think of.  I'll see what the vet says this week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ETA  I don't remember a blood test that identified the cause of seizures, but they did do blood draws about every 4 months looking for some sign of liver damage from the Pheno.   The cost was pretty minimal, and the pheno was cheap.
View Quote

IIRC, the pheno is pennies per day.  I investigated adopting a dog that required it.  Ended up not adopting the dog for other reasons - it was very agressive towards and much larger than my then-girlfriend's two beagles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Our dog started having seizures about a month ago. He was having one about every eight hours and they were horrifying, after he would get up and start cruising around crashing into shit for about an hour after. He stayed at the vet for a day and came home with some pills, phenobarbital, that pretty much made him a zombie. We thought about putting him down because he was so screwed up. They also sent home Valium to stop a seizure and help prevent them. You inject that in the dogs ass with a teat on a syringe. My wide [haha sweet typo should be wife] picked up some herbal crap to try instead of the phenobarbital and we had the vet give us something different for daily dosage. They gave us something new, (forgot what the name is) and his seizures have gone from a full on crappie flop to a few days later just some flapping of his mouth and he only has them about once a day now if that. The doc said his are probably caused by a tumor or something behind his eye. He's pretty much back to normal for a 15 year old dog.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go to your vet, get phenobarbs, fuck all the talk about natural foods.
View Quote

And if one happens on phenobarbital you can increase the dose and there are lots of other drugs available.

Phenobarbital is just inexpensive and usually effective.

Had a Lab that was immediately spayed (it may NOT breed out) and on phenobarbital for many years (IIRC 60 mg once a day).
Lived to a month short of 13 years.

Before she was treated she would act confused and once fell down a staircase.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not a big issue yet. I would get her checked out though.

In response to above post: Idiopathic epilepsy is most likely - you didn't mention an age though.

Foods can cause seizures - it's possible but not very probable...

I would not medicate unless:
1. Happening more than every 2 months.
2. Becoming more severe in nature.
3. Clustering - having more than one in a day (Even if a few months apart)

Start a seizure calendar to make note on when they happen and how long / severe they are.
View Quote

And hope dog does no injure itself in the meantime.

Often low doses of phenobarbital are effective and produce no side effects.
the problem is that the dog is likely having them when no one is around to detect them.
If they are not Grand Mal with loss of bladder and bowel control you have no real idea how often they are happening.

Dogs are not noted for their ability to report symptoms.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Could also be a blood problem.  Get your dog checked out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top