User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That always bugs me when people call it a 'Star Fort'... It's "Trace Italienne". I studied it heavily in my History of Advanced Weapons Systems course (Taught by one of the scientists that worked on the Hydrogen Bomb) when we were learning a section on siege warfare and the eveolution of siege weapons. Some truly COOL STUFF, but its significance on the battle field was pretty much made obsolete with the advent accurate/modern artillery, the invention of aircraft, and high-mobility warfare.

Your are correct about its name and how it became obsolete. However if the Zeds are able to use modern warfare and its techniques, then a stockade style compound or even a subterranean bunker will be in deep trouble.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you need more room to turn Heavy 6 around inside the compound without running over your crops.

i.e. Heavy 6 is returning to base, plowing quickly through the masses, gate opens for ten seconds, Heavy 6 roars in THEN slows down and stops while gates being closed, now Heavy 6 is facing the wrong way for a quick exit
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
you need a backhoe or something to bury the stinking dead...
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you need a backhoe or something to bury the stinking dead...

Not if you have a flame thrower...

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Empty.  Concrete.
20 ft. wide by 20 ft. deep.  
Maybe run a gas line or three around the inside so you can cook down the pile every now and then.

That was my idea! It's brilliant, I tell ya. Like having a built-in crematorium around the complex. Zombies fall in, hit the natural gas "burn button", cook 'em up, and the ashes wash away down the drains when it rains. Think of all the ammo you would save!

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
would you be able to get it hot enough to make the bones burn?

why such a small compound?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You need an entry control point (ECP) at each gate.  That means jersey barriers set in a pattern in the road approaching each gate so that traffic is slowed down. No one will be able to gain enough acceleration to ram the gate with a vehicle. There should be a tower, toped with a heavy machine gun at each gate. The tower should be reinforced with sandbags and have a roof to provide shade You want camoflauge netting so the sentries in the tower are not silhouetted.

It would be good to have an outer perimeter fence line. Chainlink topped with razor wire is good. Also have camera towers place inside this outer wire fence.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Empty.  Concrete.
20 ft. wide by 20 ft. deep.  
Maybe run a gas line or three around the inside so you can cook down the pile every now and then.

That was my idea! It's brilliant, I tell ya. Like having a built-in crematorium around the complex. Zombies fall in, hit the natural gas "burn button", cook 'em up, and the ashes wash away down the drains when it rains. Think of all the ammo you would save!

Exactly!  Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about the hordes accumulating around your wall (or fence as in RE extinction).  I haven't figured out what to do about the bones.  Personally, I wouldn't want to wash them out for fear of contaminating the groundwater.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not without help.  Even crematories don't eliminate all of the bones; especially the heavier bones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
OP that's some good looking work!  How much did you borrow from the libraries, if I may ask? (that PSG-1 looks like someone spent an entire day making it).  I try using Google Sketchup all the time but I always hit a wall.  Usually I make a complex structure with interior details but end up having trouble selecting the correct "inferences" and whatnot.  I think I need a professional 3-D modeling course before I get any better (have not had any except a short intro to Unigraphics NX and AutoDesk CAD)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shade on the towers for the summer or enclosures for the winter.

+1.. I would harden the towers, you never know what assholes will try to attack you. plus you want to protect yourself from the weather.

and the gate is way to flimsy, a chainlink outer perimiter fence with razor wire atop would give you better distance to kill Zed without smelling them 24/7
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Great job, increbidle render!
1. Razor wire would be like a zombie fly trap, probably not a good idea, cleaning it would be impossible.  
2. Walls would need to be high enough to prevent a zombie stack-up in the event of a mass gathering.
3. As mentioned before you should install vehicle barriers, in the event crimminals try to infiltrate the facility. Make it impossible to ram the walls or gate.  
4. As far as location and planning goes, you should integrate the facility by blending it into the surroundings, or creating an oasis effect, by shrouding the walls with small native bush.  You could coat the walls to color match them to the surroundings.  Building on steep high ground would be benficial, it would discourage any invaders and make it difficult to pile-up, you could solve that issue by raisiung the facility and make a lowered entrance ramp.  Just some suggestions. lol
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#14]
One more idea: Give that poor sniper on the rooftop and the guard towers some shade.

It gets positively HOT in concerete positions in the desert. 10x worse if no shade.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not without help.  Even crematories don't eliminate all of the bones; especially the heavier bones.

+1

What you get from the crematory is mainly ground bone chips.  They sweep out the oven, pick out the metallic residue, put the big bone chunks  in a grinder and then bag or box the ground remains.

Realistically, if you can burn 80% of a body on a wood and kerosene fire you are doing a good job.  Either scatter or bury the rest.     Scattering allows scavengers to feed, decomposition to complete faster, and  open air + sunlight cause most contaminants to degrade relatively quickly.  

Plus, it makes the grass/crops grow real nice next year.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice work!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Walls are WAY too low.

barely even six foot by the looks of it. A crazed rage victim could scale that, especially with other zombies piled up in front of it.

Upgrade to 10 foot walls.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#18]
How about this. Not quite as nice as the OP's. I'm downloading Vue now, I'll see if I can dress it up.

Skiddy
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top