User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you hit engineering grad school the demographic shifts dramatically again. The next shift you see is pure chinese/indian, anything else is rare as hen's teeth.
View Quote

I was amazed.  My 600-level engineering class this semester has seven -SEVEN- females in it, out of 35 students total.

I was like, "HOLY SHIT, where did these women come from?"  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL, I originally went to school for Civil Engineering.  There was one chick in the entire Civ Eng program.  ONE.   "She" had a mustache.  

I hated Civ Eng.  I quit, and sold pizzas for a while.  I hated that.

I went to school for Automotive Technology, because I loved cars.  Two "girls" in the program, and I use the term loosely.  I worked on cars for a living.  I hated it.

I then went to school to be a teacher (I teach Automotive Technology ).  I didn't hate it.  I loved it.  Oh, and a bonus........in education, EVERYONE ELSE IS A CHICK!  When you're a 25 year old dude with money and a fast car, girls fall out of the trees.  When they're in your major, you don't even need to shake the tree.  

I married a cheerleader .
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Take engineering classes for the future income potential and drama for the hawt but crazy poon.

I guess there are other things to do in college; I'm just not convinced of their usefulness.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok wtf? The building where they have Liberal arts social sciences and social worker type shit is pretty "diverse".
I went to take some engineering classes and we have a building for engineering classes and it is like crossing into a boring white guy convention.
Out of 32 students in the class we had 2 Asians and one Black dude who spoke with a French sounding accent. Pretty much the whole building is a gigantic fucking SAUSAGE FEST. No girls, NONE!!!!  WHAT THE FUCK?!
View Quote

So are you telling me that you CONCIOUSLY chose Engineering as a major in college with the intent of meeting lots of coeds?

Your pre-op intel was miserable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to take a bunch of math and physics to go along with my CSci classes back in the day.

It was mostly guys, lots of Chinese and Indian guys in the math classes.  

There were two girls in a couple of my Computer Science classes.  One had bug eyes and a bowl cut and the other one was a smoking hot Indian girl, but had breath that could knock a buzzard off a shitwagon.

Fortunately the student union and the main quad were not far away.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok wtf? The building where they have Liberal arts social sciences and social worker type shit is pretty "diverse".
View Quote

Welcome to your favorite 400-level Economics course. Here is your one token girl who is Russian and can't understand you, and here are your thirty condescending white dudes.

Also, here is your really cool black dude. But you only get one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Change major to dance. Major gash fest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]

"A building for engineering classes"

What a shitty school. At my college each engineering discipline had its own building!

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really. Only two Asians?

Must be a crappy school
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to take some engineering classes and we have a building for engineering classes and it is like crossing into a boring white guy convention.
Out of 32 students in the class we had 2 Asians and one Black dude who spoke with a French sounding accent. Pretty much the whole building is a gigantic fucking SAUSAGE FEST. No girls, NONE!!!!  WHAT THE FUCK?!

Really. Only two Asians?

Must be a crappy school

That was my first thought too.

What happened OP, were your sat scores low
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok guys COMMUNITY COLLEGE. All the asians and indians are in my University I know since I took classes there.
I am 30 my shameless whoring days are over. I knew  it was going to lack ladies but damn it is really lopsided.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF is CS?  Construction Science?  Computer Science?  both not engineering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really. Only two Asians?

Must be a crappy school

Community college, our University has much higher percentage of Indians and Asians in math(took some classes at University of Buffalo)
Once I get my associates at my local community college it automatically gets transfered to my local university to start working towards BS and grand level stuff. I am not paying 3X the money for University classes with 20 times more students per class and shithead grad students for teachers. Here at my local community college my Calculus class is 9 students and my professor has PhD and has been teaching for 50 years, he teaches night school because he is bored and doesn't like retirment, I friggin love the guy, he taught me even more ways to use my vintage slide rules.

Smart man. That's what I'm doing... should have my CS degree by the end of the year.

Comp sci is ABET accredited and usually stuck in the SOE of whatever school. Close enough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So, batchat 25t or T62a?

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you are engaged then why are you whining about the lack of women?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am engaged to an English Major, she makes better money working at a dental lab as a technician :)

If you are engaged then why are you whining about the lack of women?

Why would you throw away your college years by getting engaged?  You will never have the opportunity to pursue as much fine tail as you do in college.  You are wasting a resource that you will never get back.

That sentence makes me sad I went to a technical school that was probably 90% male.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It is funny, you guys mention business class, UB (University Of Buffalo) offers dual programs, except that you don't have to take as many business related classes that are bullshit fillers.
View Quote

Screw business classes.

Five easy steps to making money while in college and getting a real education.

1. Enroll in Entrepreneurship

2. Befriend people at the Engineering machine shop

3. Learn as much as possible

4. Apply learning

5. Profit

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Rigorous engineering schools are one of the last great meritocracies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you're Asian before you walk into the bathroom, and you're Asian when you walk out, what are you when you're in the bathroom?  
View Quote

your a peein!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:36:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really. Only two Asians?

Must be a crappy school

Community college, our University has much higher percentage of Indians and Asians in math(took some classes at University of Buffalo)
Once I get my associates at my local community college it automatically gets transfered to my local university to start working towards BS and grand level stuff. I am not paying 3X the money for University classes with 20 times more students per class and shithead grad students for teachers. Here at my local community college my Calculus class is 9 students and my professor has PhD and has been teaching for 50 years, he teaches night school because he is bored and doesn't like retirment, I friggin love the guy, he taught me even more ways to use my vintage slide rules.

Smart man. That's what I'm doing... should have my CS degree by the end of the year.

Computer Science is part of Engineering here. You've got to take the weed-out freshmen engineering classes. Thankfully, I got them done at community college.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Really. Only two Asians?

Must be a crappy school
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really. Only two Asians?

Must be a crappy school

I'm more surprised by the lack of Asians than anything else in the OP
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was amazed.  My 600-level engineering class this semester has seven -SEVEN- females in it, out of 35 students total.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once you hit engineering grad school the demographic shifts dramatically again. The next shift you see is pure chinese/indian, anything else is rare as hen's teeth.

That brings up something interesting about undergrad -> grad demographics.

Undergrad: 5-10% female 90-95% male. Of those 75% White Americans.  
Graduate: 60% Chinese, 35% Indian, 4% other, 1% American.  Of those, damn near half of the chinese and indians were female.

That was a trip, going from females as an endangered species to almost half of the class being female. That and being the one american in many of my classes, it was almost rockstar status with all those foreign females. I liked to make study groups and after I anounced it I would instantly have the number of every female in class. Straight up bizzaro world shit right there.

I guess the lesson is keep up engineering into grad school, then you'll be beating the asian and indian poon off with a bat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]
what did you expect?
Heddy Lamar? Marie Curie?

have you ever dated a Science Chic? talk about analyzing everything.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what did you expect?
Heddy Lamar? Marie Curie?

have you ever dated a Science Chic? talk about analyzing everything.
View Quote

Hedy Lamarr, RADM Hopper... Some smart ladies in tech fields!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#22]
math and engineering building multiple engineering buildings actually  here is 99% male Indian
in the business building accounting classes would be 80% female
did have some basic 1st year class that was for whatever reason stuck in the building the nursing program was based in
being in that building was awesome. 20:1 female to male ratio
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Engineering: where the noble, semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa Loompas of science!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#24]
This is why our department chair always scheduled his classes in the nursing wing.  At first I was like WTF but then I was like OMG girls .

Seriously though, it was a much appreciated change of scenery.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My daughter's (still in HS) been gearing herself towards becoming a robotics engineer. Not many girls/women in that field. But then she's never been like most girls. Honor roll, she's built a motor for her mini bike, built computers and RC cars, shoots and maintains her own AR and plays a Les Paul guitar (very well I might add).

She got good mechanical aptitude like her old man .

IMO, no matter the race or gender, its all in parents creating the right environment for their kids to excel in.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speaking as somebody who's worked in the CE industry for 7 years, that's about right. Women are very rarely interested in the field. In my office right now we have a total of five women working in technical positions and three of those are interns. The rest are working in support roles like marketing, HR, and administrative.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Engineering: where the noble, semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa Loompas of science!
View Quote

That's the technicians and laborers. The engineers are the ones who take the absurd hallucinations of scientists and figure out how to project them into reality
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top