Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have that fullsize Mossberg 590 assault type, I like shooting it, and every once in a while, I shoot 3in magnums. I don't like those. One kinda fun thing I do is shooting it one handed, on normal loads, it's stout but not bad, low-recoil loads are a breeze. Dummy me decides to try going one handed with the magnums. After a lot of shooting, my arm is already tired, holding the shotgun properly isn't the easiest thing in the world, but I thought "ya' know, what if the shtf, and I HAD to shoot it one armed with magnums, I better try it once". I'm an idiot. So, I load two shells, chamber one, steady my arm and fire. The gun didn't recoil up, it came straight back, the pretty fireball kept my mind off the pain for a second, and then it hit, it wasn't *that* bad, I know there are worse things. I shot a second magnum just to drive to point home. My arm was bruised for about a week. My brother chimes in.. "My turn...". I warn him, he's had hairline fractures in his wrists, they are already compromised.
"Nope, I'll be fine, besides, I can beat you in an arm-wrestling match, so I'm sure I can handle it."
I have difficulty arguing with stupidity. "It's not the same, this is a lot of force, it abuses your whole arm, but the wrist is the first stop." I tell him.
"Naw, it can't be that bad, I just saw you do it."
"Yes, it is that bad, please, just try birdshot or some low-recoil ammo..."
"Nope."
"It's your funeral." And with that, I hand him the shotgun. He only learns by doing, he says, this'll be some lesson. I made sure there was only one shell in the gun, I kinda knew what would happen. As he readied the gun, I took my place behind him, ready to catch my gun. "Ch-Cha-Thwacka---THWOOOOM". That same sound. In that instant, he fired, his left side recoiled heavily from the blast, his arm gave out, and sure enough, the shotgun gingerly found its way into my arms. "Are you okay?" I ask... His reply was something along the lines of Mmgrff-fgggrrr-unnghh. I set the gun down and took a look at his wrist. It was fine, he had a full range of motion, but I knew a nasty bruise would form. I asked him if he'd like to try it again, he just looked at me and kinda growled.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Never met a single recoil that could hurt me, but 15 or 20 rounds out of my 7mm Mauser makes my shoulder kinda sore. It must be that damned steel butt plate or somethin.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sighting in my .300 win mag Browning A-Bolt II off the bench getting ready for hunting season.  Boy does that thing suck after about 10 rds. [BD]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I once had a Buffalo Arms derringer in .357.  I shot it bare handed with 125 gr loads.  It was a piss poor design--lots of sharp/squared off edges.  I shot it twice.  My hand was numb for an hour after that. (I have to admit it wasn't too bad with .38 spl stuff in it).

I shoot all kinds of other stuff (lightweight 12 ga., .44 mag, .308, etc.) some of it one handed for kicks, but the memory of that derringer stays with me.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother and I were out shooting some clay birds one day. I was shooting a Remington 1100 and he had a Winchester single-shot(no recoil pad). When we were through for the day, he remembered he had a few 12ga. slugs with him. I had already cased my shotgun, so I tried one with his. Since I was used to shooting a semi-auto, I wasn't expecting the extra recoil. Probably didn't have it shoulderd right, because I got wacked but good. He thought it was pretty funny and asked me if I wanted to try it again. At least I was in better shape than the cinder block that got hit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
460 Weatherby.
View Quote

I'll drink to that.  [beer]
I used to have an old double Bbl Rem 10 ga until one time both Bbls went off at the same time,,,, got my money's worth when I sold it
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Bad Recoil:

[url]http://formenmedia.ign.com/media/news/image/hardcore/birdmannuke.wmv[/url]

:)

I need to get to know some more people with exotic rifles. So far the worst I've experienced is a 12ga (Rem 870) with slugs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I swear this is true, my uncle still has the scars to prove it. When he was around 19 or 20 he and some of his friends were drinking pretty heavily, a friend of his brought out a 12 gauge single shot, shot gun, bragging about how hard it kicked. They fired a few rounds and established that it wasn't that bad. The owner was upset that his friends had downplayed the recoil of his shotgun. He then dares my uncle to shoot it off the tip of his nose if he thought it didn't have a recoil. So my uncle holds the shotgun up to his nose placing the butt squarley on the tip, and fired it. He said it completely flattened his nose squirting blood everywhere. He ended up having to go to the hospital to stop the bleeding. His nose is still really messed up today, that was probably 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
NHRAMark, I'd send you some footage of a good one, but you don't have e-mail on your profile. It's some dude at an indoor range shooting a bolt action rifle (don't know the caliber)and he takes quite a fall. E-mail me if you want it.
benny6
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
#1 Was a Brenneke rifled slug out of a single shot 12 guage.

#2 Was my Mossberg 590, 3" shells, 00 buck.

Needless to say, I'm not much of a shotgun fan.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I knew a guy several years ago that had an ond Stevens side by side 12 ga.  Needless to say, he had doctored the gun so that the bbl was exactly 16 inches.  He took my brother and I out to shoot it.  After we went through a box of low brass trap loads, we moved up to high brass loads, and then to slugs.  Before long we were pulling both triggers together.  Two slugs out of a short barrel gun like that don't feel too good on the old shoulder.  It wasn't bad if you mashed the butt of the gun into your shoulder, but as my brother found out, it will kick your a$$ if you hold the but up to your shoulder very loosely.

The first time I went to a highpower match I was 13 and was using a borrowed Model 70 target.  I shot the prone and standing portions of the match slow fire with it.  The spotter I had been teamed up with was in the NG and was shooting an M14.  After watching me marvel at it all morning long, he lent it to me for the rapid fire portions of the match.  On the first round of my first string, I put my face too close to the back of the receiver and the shot shattered the lens of my new shooting glasses.  I proceeded to finish the string looking through the broken glass and didn't score to badly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]
30-06 pistol, funny though the 180grainers kick more than the 220's.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#13]
454 handgun, 5.5" tube. Shot over the hood of a pick-up and though it would crack the windshield, the gun ended up over my head. Not a causal plinker.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a friends m1 carbine, IBM, and man, I could only shoot one clip (15rnds)!  My shoulder was blue the next day.  I guess you have to wear all that military gear to keep shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with Mossyrocks, the .475 Linebaugh is not a gun you get better with practice. As for rifles, the .700 Nitro Express wasn't as bad as my friends Harris .50 cal.  He has two little holes on the side and calls it a muzzle break [X]
Ice
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]
45-70 with a garrett 520 grain load.  Full magazine on my guide gun was enough!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I was about 19,and at the time, I had only fired 3 rifles..a .22lr, my .223 AK , and my step-father's 7mm Rem Mag rifle(to this day..that one hits hard!!). At the time, I was 5'9", and about 115 lbs.

I went to the range with one of my step-father's friends. He had a .300 Mag rifle..since I had heard that .300 WinMag was only a little harder than the 7mm..I thought..no problem!!!

I got all set correctly, aimed, and pulled the trigger...and got hit by a sledge hammer! It was a .300 WEATHERBY mag!!! The scope hit me in the forehead for a small cut, and my shoulder was bruised very good the next day.(not to mention I was done shooting at that point for the day)

Since then..I am VERY careful about calibers. These days, I am near 125lbs, so those big Hammer calibers just do me in! I cut off at .300winmag....no exception.

Well..maybe except for some of the newer .50BMG rifles that have all the recoil reducers in it. =)
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
My uncle has a registered 8 gauge [}:D]
Ice
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree with Mossyrocks, the .475 Linebaugh is not a gun you get better with practice. As for rifles, the .700 Nitro Express wasn't as bad as my friends Harris .50 cal.  He has two little holes on the side and calls it a muzzle break [X]
Ice
View Quote

Where did you get the opportunity to fire a 700 Nitro Express?  There must be a good story here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lets see... a REM. 700 in what I think was 416 Rigby. I think, because after one round and the words "HOLY S@#T"!! came out of my mouth and I then I put the rifle  back on the bench of the shooter who said "go ahead and try it out" and went back to my 22LR.
 Also a REM. 870 14inch BBL and slugs ,like a full afternoon of them!! Ouch I mean OUCHHHH!!!
View Quote

Not sure if Remington made a .416 rigby, but they did chamber the 700 safari series in .416Remington Magnum.  I think this kicks quite a bit with 400gr Barnes solids, but its more of a big push than bone jarring.  I personally think the .338 Winchester Magnum kick is sharper.  Once, didn't have quite the hold I should of on a mulie; damn scope cover button nailed me right in the middle of the nose.  Gave me quite a cut and bruise, not to mention embarassment.
guns762
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#22]
My Marlin .444P in .444 Marlin w/ 18.5" ported barrell packs one serious punch.

It's the most recoil I have but I like being hurt..........maybe something a bit larger huh?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Most painful for me was handing my girl a .357 mag and telling her it was .38s.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I never had a black and blue shoulder from firing a gun until today, and I'm used to shooting M1s, SMLEs, etc, as well as the AR, which has spoiled me with its virtually non-existent recoil.

I bought a Czech/Yugo VZ24/47 (with the steel buttplate) in total cosmoline  a few days ago, and spent a very smelly (but fun!) few afternoons de-gunking it. I also bought an unopened box of Yugo 8mm, 1200 rds, dated 1953. I fired the gun prone, and kneeling, about 60 rounds. OOF!!I had a great time, but now one shoulder's bigger than the other... and it's not due to the musculature... >:^D
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top