BCM
User Panel

Page / 29
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right with you brother.

I don't know why atheists need to stamp out religion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, yall are welcome to explain to God why you don't need him when you stand before Him... I for one ain't taking the chance!

- Clint

Right with you brother.

I believe it's called "whistling past the graveyard"
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the matter for the big bang had to be created by "someone", than who created that someone?  If you believe, that the  "someone" always existed, why can't the matter also have always existed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He says that science and the "Big Bang" can explain the creation of the universe. And who exactly made the matter for the Big Bang? For someone so "smart" he is exceptionally stupid.

If the matter for the big bang had to be created by "someone", than who created that someone?  If you believe, that the  "someone" always existed, why can't the matter also have always existed?
oh...a deep thinker you are

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Every time I have blown something up, and it made a Big Bang, it typically left small pieces of the original object.  Not once have I blown up, let's say a mound of scrap metal, and out popped a brand new chevy 1500.

Science always seems to prove the magnificent of our creator.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He says that science and the "Big Bang" can explain the creation of the universe. And who exactly made the matter for the Big Bang? For someone so "smart" he is exceptionally stupid.

Just as the human mind cannot truly grasp a universe that never ends, so we are unable to grasp the concept that a higher being (God) is, and always was.

Matter is created, and God is the creator. You assume that God is matter and therefore "needs to be created."

One other thing. I find it amusing that these scientists likes to delve deep into black holes, quarks, anti-matter etc. I think they should learn to walk before they run and answer more mundane questions such as: how does gravity work? How is it generated? I'd like them to be able to shoot 100 yards before they starts going for the 1000 yard target.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, the problem is that you'll never be able to prove, or disprove, the existence of God in a scientifically acceptable manner.

Belief in God is about just that, belief...faith. If it could be proven one way or the other, faith would not be required.

So the faithful criticize the non-believers for their lack of faith and the non-believers excoriate the faithful for their stupidity in believing.

So it goes...Carry on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They see others receiving great peace and comfort from their faith, while they themselves, are left out, so they want to prevent others from having what they do not themselves have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, yall are welcome to explain to God why you don't need him when you stand before Him... I for one ain't taking the chance!

- Clint

Right with you brother.

They see others receiving great peace and comfort from their faith, while they themselves, are left out, so they want to prevent others from having what they do not themselves have.

Maybe some feel this way, but there are strange people with strange behavior everywhere, regardless of what you believe.

Myself, I have seen first hand how strong faith can help a person through trying times, and I felt glad that they found that comfort.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh Jesus Christ........the string theory again!!??
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#8]
To not believe in something they sure do spend a lot of time talking about it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why does a drunk our a junkie only hang with drunk junkies?

They don't want to be judged by straight folk and viewed as , LOSSERS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Right with you brother.

Why does a drunk our a junkie only hang with drunk junkies?

They don't want to be judged by straight folk and viewed as , LOSSERS.

could someone translate this to English...please.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just as the human mind cannot truly grasp a universe that never ends, so we are unable to grasp the concept that a higher being (God) is, and always was.    

Matter is created, and God is the creator. You assume that God is matter and therefore "needs to be created."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So basically you use the concept of an invisible deity to answer questions you are too lazy to try and understand, and at the exclusion of all other possibilities?

Way to go there

And you call Stephen Hawking "exceptionally stupid".  Talk about pot and kettle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Apparently banned for my non-Christian views in the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP aren't you the mod in the religion subforum?  

Feels like you're trolling.

I've never been a Mod.
And I don't post over there anymore!
You?

Interesting. Why don't you post there anymore?

Apparently banned for my non-Christian views in the end.

hmm...ok...I must have you confused with someone else then..my apologies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matter is energy.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

- Clint
View Quote

This.

I dont subscribe to any one faith but the possibility exists.   Part of me wants to believe it exists but not enough to buy into any one faith along with accepting the possibility that Hawking is correct.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So who made God then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who made God then?

The same dude who made the space/time void, socks in the dryer go into. DUH!!!

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

- Clint
View Quote

Fire insurance huh?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this the same guy who has been wrong about allot of other shit?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Right with you brother.

Actually, that isn't it at all.  Atheists, like everyone, still search for answers for why, how, when, etc.  And if one searches for those answers through science, and you come to certain conclusions or prove/disprove certain things, why is there and expectation that you keep that newfound knowledge to yourself...just to prop up religion even though your new evidence or understanding may contradict it?

The problem is, theists view every single one of these things like it is an attack on religion, and a deliberate one at that.  Often it is not.  But if an atheist comes to a conclusion through philosophy or science and shares it, there is this expectation here that they keep their mouths shut or they must just be mean and hate religious people because they are mean meanies.  Meanwhile, for everyone else, spread the word of god to your hearts content, your opinion is more valid, and you should share it.

TL/DR: Most atheists don't hate you or your religion, but when it comes up, we will discuss it.  We might even bring it up if a new vein of thought comes available.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So basically you use the concept of an invisible deity to answer questions you are too lazy to try and understand, and at the exclusion of all other possibilities?

Way to go there

And you call Stephen Hawking "exceptionally stupid".  Talk about pot and kettle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Way to go there

Last time I checked I wasn't a renowned scientist. Unless a scientist can prove, beyond any doubt, that something (such as God) doesn't exist, they shouldn't make these statements. In fact, it is anathema to the scientific credo (if you will). The fact that Hawking does this, in his position as a scientist, is exactly what proves him to be an idiot.

That is a big difference and one you need to grasp. He does this for a living. I do not.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who made God then?

I knew it.  Fucking Zanussi.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Evangelical atheists and theocratic atheists are just two modern permutations of secular anti-intellectualism...
View Quote

I understand what each of those words means individually. But when they're in this order, I'm at a loss.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
cough cough, black holes, cough cough

Yeah, he clung to a theory (that he created) for 30 years, was proven wrong, and then came out on the other side of the argument. This is the same guy that has mathematically "shown" that the Big Bang occurred. BTW, his Big Bang theory (according to him) is sort of like a "black hole in reverse..." so if his black hole theories were incorrect (and they appear to be), what does this say about his example of the Big Bang?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We can create matter just fine in a collider. No reason not to think the universe was created in a similar way by a higher being.

But then who created him and his collider? Ah, the tough question that science cannot answer.

The big bang is an elegant theory about the beginning but it fails to answer what was before the beginning... and it never will.
View Quote

Technically we are not creating matter in a collider, we are converting energy into matter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Technically we are not creating matter in a collider, we are converting energy into matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We can create matter just fine in a collider. No reason not to think the universe was created in a similar way by a higher being.

But then who created him and his collider? Ah, the tough question that science cannot answer.

The big bang is an elegant theory about the beginning but it fails to answer what was before the beginning... and it never will.

yes....but it proves on link in the chain.  it proves that energy can be converted into matter.  The other question is to determine where all the energy came from, yes?  If we can solve that one, we could really get onto something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
yes....but it proves on link in the chain.  it proves that energy can be converted into matter.  The other question is to determine where all the energy came from, yes?  If we can solve that one, we could really get onto something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude thats easy. It came from over there ->

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As has been said many times, atheists don't, anti-theists seem to want to though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Right with you brother.

As has been said many times, atheists don't, anti-theists seem to want to though.

Fair enough, I should have specified. The small "a" atheists can be good conversation. Big "a" Atheists are the outspoken evangelists that even small-"a" atheists call d-bags.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HBkZPyfpdE

Stephen Hawking--"The Big Beginning"
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Really?

I can say confidently that EVERY scientific study ever conducted in the history of mankind has failed to provide evidence for the existence of God.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't this at least a few years old?

Do you have something along these lines of scientific study which are much more recent?
Jim

Really?

I can say confidently that EVERY scientific study ever conducted in the history of mankind has failed to provide evidence for the existence of God.

i guess it would also fail to provide evidence that there is not one....
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Right with you brother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Right with you brother.

I don't believe in the Easter bunny but I don't make a point to be an asshole about it to those that do. The athiests you hear from all the time are just unhappy souless beings wanting you to be the same.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't this at least a few years old?

Do you have something along these lines of scientific study which are much more recent?
Jim

Really?

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Last time I checked I wasn't a renowned scientist. Unless a scientist can prove, beyond any doubt, that something (such as God) doesn't exist, they shouldn't make these statements. In fact, it is anathema to the scientific credo (if you will). The fact that Hawking does this, in his position as a scientist, is exactly what proves him to be an idiot.    

That is a big difference and one you need to grasp. He does this for a living. I do not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to go there

that's not how science works.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Unfortunately a lot of Leftist atheists want to substitute Big Gubmint as their "God" and use tools such as Politicial Correctness, legislating from the bench, etc. to squash anyone who doesn't share their vision. This vision includes stripping people of the right to bear arms, since the only "threat" they see to their Gubmint God is an armed population being able to say "no more" or "no" to their machinations. Not all atheists do this (as evidenced by those here on AR15), but the Leftist ones sure do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo [/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every time I have blown something up, and it made a Big Bang, it typically left small pieces of the original object.  Not once have I blown up, let's say a mound of scrap metal, and out popped a brand new chevy 1500.

Science always seems to prove the magnificent of our creator.

View Quote

Yes, because that's what science says the Big Bang was.  An explosion, and immediately from it an organized universe.  Thanks for enlightening us all on Big Bang theory.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Exactly correct.

The problem, IMO, is when people conclude "no one knows, therefore God."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All these universe books ever really say is in a whole bunch of words is "no one knows".

Exactly correct.

The problem, IMO, is when people conclude "no one knows, therefore God."

I guess I'm failing to see why this would be considered a "problem". Doesn't really seem any more far out than the other possibilities.

For the record I don't think there is an old dude with a white beard out there but I do believe in some type of intelligent design.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One other thing. I find it amusing that these scientists likes to delve deep into black holes, quarks, anti-matter etc. I think they should learn to walk before they run and answer more mundane questions such as: how does gravity work? How is it generated? I'd like them to be able to shoot 100 yards before they starts going for the 1000 yard target.

View Quote

We answer questions about gravity by studying black holes and such.  If anything, studying black holes tells us more about gravity than it does anything else.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#36]
By the OT standard, as seen in the Baalite vs Isreali standoff, Yahweh is a false god. Back then people didn't come prepared to debates with excuses about not testing the divine, because they had no subconscious fears, or acceptance, of the lack thereof. They expected visible results, and were confident enough to ritually accept the burden of proof, and confident enough to stake their lives on the results.

Until recently I didn't understand why atheists liked to mock Christians. Yes, humor can deflate superstition, and Christianity has a long and solemn history in western culture, and some people are plain evangelical, no matter the ideology. But I was indifferent to failed hypotheses - after all, there are so many of them.

Then I read some popular accelerationist literature, by way of Georges Bataille, and realized that it was because Yahweh is just fucking hilarious, for reals. If you too enjoy unnecessarily erudite penis analogies, check out The Thirst for Annihilation.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#37]
"that's not how science works."

JFrankParnell,

You've proven my point, thank you. So please explain why the "scientist", Stephen Hawking would then make such a definitive declaration about something when he does not have absolute proof?  Being closed-minded and making absolute declarative statements is not how science "works" especially in regards to something that the scientists can not explain.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck that crumpled up bastard.  I have no idea why he gets all of this attention.  WTF.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Honest question... Why does science have to replace religion for so many? It doesn't have to be either/or, not in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
We answer questions about gravity by studying black holes and such.  If anything, studying black holes tells us more about gravity than it does anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I get that, but their study of black holes (which are famous for their gravity) has yet to yield any answers regarding our own gravity.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

All scientists are wrong about a lot of things over their career.  That is the fundamental nature of science.  Develop theory, test theory, theory wrong, move on to develop better theory.

It is religion that goes in with a general "this is what is, and anything to the contrary is blashphemy."  Most religion is dogmatic, and does not respond well to testing.  Good science is about proving bad theories wrong through testing than it is proving good theories right.  Weed out of wrong, the right stands tall.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Hawkins is the Chancey Gardiner of our time! Bless his heart
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
... Unless a scientist can prove, beyond any doubt, that something (such as God) doesn't exist, they shouldn't make these statements. In fact, it is anathema to the scientific credo (if you will). The fact that Hawking does this, in his position as a scientist, is exactly what proves him to be an idiot..
View Quote

This is the entertainment value of Arfcom: members who can call the most brilliant physicist since Einstein an "idiot" without a trace of irony.

Scientific "proof" is a misunderstood concept. Science never proves anything. Proofs are for mathematics. Science simply accumulates more and more evidence and creates more and more reliable and comprehensive theories. "Theories" are another misunderstood concept. In the scientific sense, theories are testable ideas that are always potentially refutable by evidence. The best theories, such as that of evolution, have withstood more than a century of challenges. Nevertheless, they always remain malleable.

Anyway, Hawking's position is simply that an explanation of the universe does not require mysticism. Science deals in evidence-based reason, and if evidence of a god or gods is produced, science will embrace the concept.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The book Universe From Nothing explains is as nothing existed so it was the right recipe for something.  Which makes sense except when you put time against it.  No one can really say what was before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who made God then?

The book Universe From Nothing explains is as nothing existed so it was the right recipe for something.  Which makes sense except when you put time against it.  No one can really say what was before.

Time is a feature of our universe.  "Before" becomes a very interesting concept when time doesn't exist yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, singling out scientists as not being able to share their opinion on religion is pretty silly just because of their job.  Are there any other professions you like to mandate never share their opinion on a particular subject because it isn't formally a part of their job?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Actually, the problem is that you'll never be able to prove, or disprove, the existence of God in a scientifically acceptable manner.

Belief in God is about just that, belief...faith. If it could be proven one way or the other, faith would not be required.

So the faithful criticize the non-believers for their lack of faith and the non-believers excoriate the faithful for their stupidity in believing.

So it goes...Carry on.
View Quote

Science relies on documentation. Nuff said
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
All scientists are wrong about a lot of things over their career.  That is the fundamental nature of science.  Develop theory, test theory, theory wrong, move on to develop better theory.

It is religion that goes in with a general "this is what is, and anything to the contrary is blashphemy."  Most religion is dogmatic, and does not respond well to testing.  Good science is about proving bad theories wrong through testing than it is proving good theories right.  Weed out of wrong, the right stands tall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Science and belief in God are not exclusive of one another.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"that's not how science works."

JFrankParnell,
You've proven my point, thank you. So please explain why the "scientist", Stephen Hawking would then make such a definitive declaration about something when he does not have absolute proof?  Being closed-minded and making absolute declarative statements is not how science "works" especially in regards to something that the scientists can not explain.

View Quote

except he never said "god does not exist." he said god was not necessary for the creation of the universe.  there's a difference.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This is the entertainment value of Arfcom: members who can call the most brilliant physicist since Einstein an "idiot" without a trace of irony.

Scientific "proof" is a misunderstood concept. Science never proves anything. Proofs are for mathematics. Science simply accumulates more and more evidence and creates more and more reliable and comprehensive theories. "Theories" are another misunderstood concept. In the scientific sense, theories are testable ideas that are always potentially refutable by evidence. The best theories, such as that of evolution, have withstood more than a century of challenges. Nevertheless, they always remain malleable.

Anyway, Hawking's position is simply that an explanation of the universe does not require mysticism. Science deals in evidence-based reason, and if evidence of a god or gods is produced, science will embrace the concept.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... Unless a scientist can prove, beyond any doubt, that something (such as God) doesn't exist, they shouldn't make these statements. In fact, it is anathema to the scientific credo (if you will). The fact that Hawking does this, in his position as a scientist, is exactly what proves him to be an idiot..

Yes, his tenet of his belief regarding black holes, which then lead to his expounding of the "Big Bang" was proven wrong, and then he reversed himself after 30 years of clinging to an incorrect theory. What does this say about his statements regarding the origins of the universe.

If a scientist (such as Hawking) is going to make DEFINITIVE DECLARATIONS regarding subjects that are UNABLE TO BE DEFINITELY PROVEN OR DISPROVEN, then yes, he's an idiot. As a scientist, he's the ONE guy that shouldn't be doing this. It discredits him and his work. Hawking the most "brilliant scientist" since Einstein? LOL. Methinks you regurgitate popular narratives rather then educating yourself...no offense intended.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top