Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My parents' guns were secured when I was a kid.  Their security device was, "Don't fuck with these or I'll beat your ass!  "It worked better than any trigger lock ever invented.

+1 sort of.  
Our parents bedroom door was always open, open gun rack on the wall behind the door, and a pistol in the chest of drawers.  Never a big deal, just the way it was.  Just understood, if it wasn't yours, you didn't fool with it.  If you were curious, just ask and he'd show it to you or let you hold it after he cleared it of any cartridges. Yeah that's right, they stayed loaded.  Not going to do you any good if they weren't loaded.  Same thing with the pond 250 ft. behind the house; don't go to the pond without an adult or you'd get your ass beat.  No big deal those were the rules and understanding, want to go to the pond, just ask.  Until we were old enough to fend for ourselves a bit anyway.  And asking permission first was always the best policy also.
Oh yeah one more thing, when the street/yard light came on at the rich guys' house down the road, we had better be at/or well on our way home.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The homeowner should have stored his arms so nosey, bugeyed, do-gooders can't see them.

+1

Also sounds like ol' Robicheau needs to have a "come to Jesus" talk with his wifey-poo about letting The Man into the house.

Every woman I've ever known caves in when the police come to the door about anything, be it selling tickets to the policemen's ball or asking about vandalism in the neighborhood. I keep mine locked up because my wife, who is British, always trusts the police to do the right thing.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My parents' guns were secured when I was a kid.  Their security device was, "Don't fuck with these or I'll beat your ass!"

It worked better than any trigger lock ever invented.

That only worked when you could actually beat their ass........

Ah, now you understand what it is all about, grasshopper....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey, I hate a rat just as much as you but remember, there's no such thing as an unloaded firearm (notice I didn't use weapon) and the guy was a total ass leaving his stuff lying about, kids or no kids. If you need to knock MA, knock the fact that thier felonies, there goes the whole enchilada right there. But hey, if you look cross eyed at at someone and they say you threatened them then that's a felony. Fartings going to be a felony soon.

No wonder you choose to live in a nazi style state! Hell, I grew up with a goddamn loaded 12 guage hanging over the front door! I was taught not to mess with the firearms. I grew up knowing what they were used for and how to handle them.

You people who claim to support the right to keep and bear arms and then call some guy an ass for doing just that are hypocrits and are full of shit. Bow down and lick Komrade Kerry's hand you phoney!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad to see all the pro-nanny staters coming out of the woodwork.
Now I know who will call and rat me out to the Thoughtpolice for not following groupthink.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If one of these kids had been killed due to the easy access to the firearms we would all be angry at this guy for leaving firearms within the reach of children.  Fortunately that did not happen, and now is not likely to happen at that house anymore.

However, was this a case of an accident waiting to happen?  Was this a death of one of his children or neighbor kids that was ultimately avoided?  Possibly.

Were talking about kids less than 5 years old here.

It is a shame that the guy got nailed, and nailed hard - but frankly I think he deserved it.

We do not leave firearms, loaded or otherwise, available for anyone to touch unless they are given the codes to the safes.  When the safes are open we are keenly aware of the responsibility that we have to avoid an accident at all costs.  This man made a mistake, and I would not want him in my neighborhood.

The warrant vs. no warrant is irrelevant.  The contractor was concerned for the safety of the kids, and risks his check for doing the right thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the contractor owns guns himself.  The contractor was the responsible one here.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If one of these kids had been killed due to the easy access to the firearms we would all be angry at this guy for leaving firearms within the reach of children.  Fortunately that did not happen, and now is not likely to happen at that house anymore.

However, was this a case of an accident waiting to happen?  Was this a death of one of his children or neighbor kids that was ultimately avoided?  Possibly.

It is a shame that the guy got nailed, and nailed hard - but frankly I think he deserved it.

We do not leave firearms, loaded or otherwise, available for anyone to touch unless they are given the codes to the safes.  When the safes are open we are keenly aware of the responsibility that we have to avoid an accident at all costs.  This man made a mistake, and I would not want him in my neighborhood.

The warrant vs. no warrant is irrelevant.  The contractor was concerned for the safety of the kids, and risks his check for doing the right thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the contractor owns guns himself.  The contractor was the responsible one here.

Just my opinion.

HA! "Fellow gun owner" my ass! Who needs gun controllers when we have Judases like this guy?

If he was soooo concerned for their safety why didn't he say to the woman, "Hey- put your gun away- you might hurt the kids" instead of getting the Po-Po involved?

Something smells here. Possibly the woman wanted to get rid of the guns and didn't have the guts to tell hubby to sell them. Maybe she told Mr Contractor to do the deed for her?

I don't think the whole story is being told here, but I hope Mr Contractor gets royally STIFFED for his trouble.

After all, if just one life is saved, it's ALL worth it, right?

"Hey asshole, I'd like to pay you, but my house is getting foreclosed because I have to pay lawyers fees, fines, alimony, rent, and child support, all because YOU called the cops. Happy now, asshole? Take a number, along with everybody else- if hell doesn't freeze over first, I'll pay you in 2047."

This is Massachusetts- anything can happen here- and does.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

I disagree with your logic. Almost every household I ever visited or lived in as a child had firearms "laying around" whether it be in the corner of a room or tucked away in the closet. As a small child we were taught to respect them and knew they were off limits unless allowed to handle them. This isn't a case of a reckless gunowner because nothing bad happened as a result of the firearms being unsecured. Maybe his kids knew that the guns in their parents room weren't to be touched. That's the way I grew up. A safe or electronic lockbox is a fairly recent luxury that gunowners utilize in this day and age and to some extent take for granted when considering a situation like this.

Some people forgot or never knew what it was like to grow up with these implements of destruction not contained in a metal box I guess.

BTW the contractor that turned him in is a fucking snitch that should be strung up by his balls for reporting something to the police that was none of his business in the first place. If someone ruined my life in this manner I would have a hard time not killing the bastard the first chance I got.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody who ignores the basic laws of common sense and proper gun safety is just a fucking moron.

I would never in a million years leave guns lying all over my house.

According to you guys it's BECAUSE I'M A COMMIE AND I HATE FREEDOM.

WTF

This thread is really depressing.  I wish I hadn't read it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My parents' guns were secured when I was a kid.  Their security device was, "Don't fuck with these or I'll beat your ass!"

Yea, same here, and it worked!

Besides, we had our own guns.

Travis
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

answer this question:  what if it did not work?

unlike you guys, some kids get out of line.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

Not if raised from day one that Mom and Dad mean business, punishment only works if it is used.

Travis
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Travis

Yeah you're right, with that way of thinking they should put wheel locks on all the bicycles and skateboards, outlaw little league because the bat actually makes the baseball move fast, outlaw tree climbing because of gravity and make it illegal to transport a child in a car. It's all about saving the children I guess
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#15]
But having a trigger lock or cheap gun cabinet with a lock that can be opened by an 8 year old with a BIC pen is SOOOO much safer.

Yet another reason not to have kids.  Society is too stupid to bring another life into it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But having a trigger lock or cheap gun cabinet with a lock that can be opened by an 8 year old with a BIC pen is SOOOO much safer.

Yet another reason not to have kids.  Society is too stupid to bring another life into it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The guy was stupid for leaving guns around, but stupidity should not equal a felony.  A felony used to be reserved for Criminals.

All of you heroes who say that "he got what he deserved"  really are the reason that we are losing our rights daily.         I see very little upside for the future of our once great Nation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The guy was stupid for leaving guns around, but stupidity should not equal a felony.  A felony used to be reserved for Criminals.

All of you heroes who say that "he got what he deserved"  really are the reason that we are losing our rights daily.         I see very little upside for the future of our once great Nation.

You're dead on the money with that one
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The homeowner should have stored his arms so nosey, bugeyed, do-gooders can't see them.

+1
Also sounds like ol' Robicheau needs to have a "come to Jesus" talk with his wifey-poo about letting The Man into the house.

Every woman I've ever known caves in when the police come to the door about anything, be it selling tickets to the policemen's ball or asking about vandalism in the neighborhood. I keep mine locked up because my wife, who is British, always trusts the police to do the right thing.....

Roger that.  While I love my wife, her basic lack of understanding of the Constitution and its Amendments require that I keep everything of value under lock and key.  My wife's Canadian and it would not take long for the police to gain access to the house.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Although I agree with the second part of your post, the first part ass-u-me's you know that there was no training /discipline in the home. The guy could have very easily been teaching his children, from birth, about firearms. They may well be down with the 'don't touch' thing!bb
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

Another one who would rat us out.^^^
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Yepper!!! You touch Dads guns you get your ass beat.

It worked for me

FREE

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
She should have never let them in.

Only way they come in my house is if they have a warrent.

FREE

MARSHFIELD - A contractor working in the house saw the shotgun and the three children playing inside, police said.

Police officers went to the house on a tip from the contractor, and Stephen Robicheau’s wife let them in.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
She should have never let them in.

Only way they come in my house is if they have a warrent.

FREE

Unfortunately, most people sheeple don't have a clue as to their constitutional rights.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

Another one who would rat us out.^^^

Hitting the nail on the head there C-4
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey, I hate a rat just as much as you but remember, there's no such thing as an unloaded firearm (notice I didn't use weapon) and the guy was a total ass leaving his stuff lying about, kids or no kids. If you need to knock MA, knock the fact that thier felonies, there goes the whole enchilada right there. But hey, if you look cross eyed at at someone and they say you threatened them then that's a felony. Fartings going to be a felony soon.

No wonder you choose to live in a nazi style state! Hell, I grew up with a goddamn loaded 12 guage hanging over the front door! I was taught not to mess with the firearms. I grew up knowing what they were used for and how to handle them.

You people who claim to support the right to keep and bear arms and then call some guy an ass for doing just that are hypocrits and are full of shit. Bow down and lick Komrade Kerry's hand you phoney!

I grew up with a gunrack on my bedroom wall that I made in 7th grade woodshop class...that guy deserved no more than a stiff reprimand to learn to be more careful...as for the contractor: someone ought to kick him in the nuts hard enough that it makes the change fly out of his pockets...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Could a five year old even manipulate the action of a shotgun or charge a pistol?  Remember that neither of these guns were loaded, and the ammunition was not right next to the weapons.  The five year old would have had to be able to load and charge either of these weapons.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I had unfettered access to the gun cabinet as a kid. Had to. I was expected to clean them and take care of them. We used to have a school rifle team and we had guns on campus routinely.

Stupid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:40:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn my dad would of been in trouble. We had gun racks on the walls we made with the ammo in an old dresser. Pretty screwed up somebody getting a felony rap for this. My Dad would of kicked my ass if he ever seen me do anything unsafe with a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:48:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody that doesnt see anything wrong in this picture is part of the problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a couple of comments here.

One, having unsecured guns in the house with children is wrong, but the presence of one responsible adult, SUPERVISING those kids, makes them secure by my definition.  

Two, none of the children in the article touched or approached the guns (they were in the parent's bedroom a place they probably were not allowed) would seem to indicate that they were not unsecure.

Three, they were unloaded.  Ammunition not with them.

Four, This is a FELONY?  I can see slapping a fine on someone for these offenses, but a felony conviction changes your entire life.

Five, three felony and one misdomeanor charge for EACH gun.  (that will be reported as eight gun related arrests.) This kind of piling on is specifically designed to stack or pad the statistics.  [see all the felony charges we've filed against gun criminals.]  The intent here, clearly, is not the safety of any kids, but the political agenda of the prosecuting attorney, (around here they are the State's Attorney) At the expense of one poor schlub who will loose his rights and face bankruptcy and prison in the furtherance of this man's agenda.

Mass. was the birthplace of our revolution.....seeing this kind of Gov. excess saddens me in the extreme.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
One, having unsecured guns in the house with children is wrong, but the presence of one responsible adult, SUPERVISING those kids, makes them secure by my definition.  

All generalities are bad, including this one. I had the key to the gun cabinet and complete access to both guns and ammunition from about age 9. I often had the weapons out when there was no adult supervision. I was on the school rilfe team in junior high and we had complete responsibility for our own weapons. Adult supervision simply wasn't an issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#35]
My dad kept a loaded rifle by his bed when I was a kid.  I just knew not to mess with it.

I think nowadays, with kids growing up to be adults and still never even having seen a real gun,  it's dangerous to leave guns out.  Your kids may know, but their friends won't.

Oh yeah, and screw Massachusetts.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:29:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Many have said they were raised with guns, taught how to handle them, had their own guns in their rooms, etc.  45+ years ago that was the norm and we all were safe that way.  It worked for me, too.

Unfortunately, today most kids are not exposed to proper training, proper discipline, etc.   Many kids are way curious and undisiplined.  So occasionally you read in the paper about a kid shooting himself or another kid by "accident".  Truth is, when an 8-year shoots someone it really is an accident.  Yep, they should have been trained, they should have known not to touch the gun, they should...... But it happens anyway because they don't know better and are too young to make sound judgements.  That is why they have us to teach and protect them.

Even though we teach our kids gun safety, how do you know the kid that comes over to play has ever even seen a gun, been taught to leave them alone, been taught they are always considered loaded, etc.?  Well you don't and most probably have not.

In this case, the lock 'em up law is for the children.  In today's society (not the one we grew up in) common sense on this issue must rule.  If you can buy a $1000 AR, $500 1911,  $300 shotgun, etc then you can afford to buy a proper safety device that protects uneducated and irresponsbile kids while at the same time allowing you quick access to a ready to go firearm.  Just do it.  It really is for the children on this one.

Still, the contractor is a jerk, the entire of state of Mass can just sink for all I care, and wifey needs to be slapped endlessly.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Many have said they were raised with guns, taught how to handle them, had their own guns in their rooms, etc.  45+ years ago that was the norm and we all were safe that way.  It worked for me, too.

Unfortunately, today most kids are not exposed to proper training, proper discipline, etc.   Many kids are way curious and undisiplined.  So occasionally you read in the paper about a kid shooting himself or another kid by "accident".  Truth is, when an 8-year shoots someone it really is an accident.  Yep, they should have been trained, they should have known not to touch the gun, they should...... But it happens anyway because they don't know better and are too young to make sound judgements.  That is why they have us to teach and protect them.

Even though we teach our kids gun safety, how do you know the kid that comes over to play has ever even seen a gun, been taught to leave them alone, been taught they are always considered loaded, etc.?  Well you don't and most probably have not.

In this case, the lock 'em up law is for the children.  In today's society (not the one we grew up in) common sense on this issue must rule.  If you can buy a $1000 AR, $500 1911,  $300 shotgun, etc then you can afford to buy a proper safety device that protects uneducated and irresponsbile kids while at the same time allowing you quick access to a ready to go firearm.  Just do it.  It really is for the children on this one.

Still, the contractor is a jerk, the entire of state of Mass can just sink for all I care, and wifey needs to be slapped endlessly.

So you are saying that if I was a kid today, shooting competitively on a rifle team, same situation as before, then my father should be guilty of a felony?

I hear what you are saying about other kids. There are a lot of stupid kids out there. I definitely think modern ignorance of guns contributes to the problem. Lots of these kids simply don't know what they have in their hands.

But, on the other hand, I think our own examples disprove the notion that this is necessarily worthy of a felony charge. How about a little common sense and judgment of the situation before we run this guy off to the slammer?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If a contractor ratted me out like this, NO. 1 the payment check would bounce for certain, which would be the least of my worries as more than likely they'd find that bitch dead in ditch, with his tongue cut out.

Mike

DAMN!  Shouldn't type things like that here.  They might lock the thread.  Not that I disagree.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What state?  Mass?

Yea, its a real horrorshow in mass. This article just made me a lot more paranoid.

Why do you guys allow shitbirds to represent you in the legislative offices? I just can't figure it out. I've only been to Boston once but everyone seemed cool and reasonably sharp, it makes for a disconnect when I look at your politicians.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#40]
When some neighbor kid plays army man with your kid, and blows his head off with your "unloaded gun", your head will be pretty messed up when you wake up and realize it could easily have been avoided.  At that point, the Darwin rules have taken over and you lose.  We might post your story right here, and discuss your sorry situation.  Maybe paypal you some money for your defense even.  We will be interested to know if you accidentally left the gun loaded - or if the kid found the ammo too.  Jeez, we thought you had made it clear to your children not to touch Dad's stuff - what happened?  We expected so much more from your CHILDREN.  Mom will be crushed, because she thinks it really was her fault since she was the "securing device" that failed because she went to the toilet.

I'm not sure if a felony conviction is the right level, but you have to look at the numerous and ongoing cases of kids using the parents guns to kill themselves, thier enemies, or their classmates.  Then ask who was really responsible for giving them easy access to the gun - would you charge them with a misdemeanor?, a felony?, or is this all just "pussification".

Here is a link to last week's local shooting involving a 13 year old who shot his 14 year old buddy over 25 cents, with Mom's gun.  I guess Mom's defense will be "I told him to stay the fuck away from that gun!, the kid's a Darwinian loser I tell you Mr. Judge - just let me pay my fine and get on with my life and put that kid where he can't hurt anyone anymore.  Your Honor, I also want to point out that I showed him a long time ago how to check to make sure a cartridge was not chambered - put him away for stupidity, or put him away for intentionally loading my gun - he's dangerous I tell you!".

I am happy that you survived childhood and listened to you parents, most do.  Some don't.  I never had to tell our children not to touch our guns, nor did I have to tell every kid who entered our home over the years not to touch them either. I would not also put Mom in the position of being the one to take the ultimate resonsibility for being the "safety device."

This is 2006, and there are ways to secure your weapons now that everyone can afford.  If you can afford a gun, then you too can afford to secure it.  If you own a gun and cannot afford a lock, then call the local po po and they will likely supply you with a lock free of charge.  Call your local gunshop - I don't know of any that does not have a big box full of locks to give away.  Call a gun manufacturer, they'll likely send you one out pronto.  There is a reason that locks are included in the box when you buy a gun.  That reason is guns kept in the home for self-protection are 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill in self-defense.   Even if the ratio was 2 to 1, the odds are still dangerously against you.

Every time one of these kids kills someone, or gets killed, the noose will get tighter on our rights.  These laws exist not to sell safes, they exist because children do kill children and themselves with Dad's gun on a regular basis.  This is a very serious matter.

Even if stats on this link were off by 50% <- there are just way too many preventable deaths right here.

Because of the diversity of people on this site, I understand why some think here that this is a case of a gun owner's rights being violated again.  However, if ther was ever a case for the DU or other anti-gunners to point at a topic and say "look here how dangerous these guys are" <- this is it!

Imagine how stupid this contractor is because he's likely not getting paid, and how stupid is that wife for letting po po in the door - so with all these stupid people around -> do you expect more out of the kids who are less than 5 years old?  Really?

Maybe it's just too plain to see here, that one of the main reasons for the pussification of America is the lack of common sense, which causes the country to create laws that you all don't like - and I don't like them either.  Many of these laws insult my intelligence, but are in place because another asshole left an "unloaded" gun in an easily accessible location.  I don't expect much from a guy that does that, and I certainly expect less from his offspring.

Those laws could pretty much be grouped under 1 law which would be the "don't be dangerous" law.

"Assume every gun is loaded", isn't that a number one rule we live by? - or could die by?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Leaving a gun unsecured at anytime is just plain foolish. If it's not within your reach, or a couple of steps it is a danger to you and everyone you love. And yes, I lost a loved one to a gun that was "unloaded" in another room.

That being said, why is the dad charged when he was not home and the mother was? Shouldn's she be the one who should have secured the guns since she was the adult supervising the kids?  Shouldn't she be the one charged for endangering the kids since she ignored the threat?  Just my .02 cents..fullclip
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

I find it quite interesting that you, of all people, would say such a thing.
As you know, your lifestyle of "swinging" is condemned by every monotheistic religion.
How'd you like it if someone was concerned for the safety of your children (I think that could perhaps be demonstrated) or if they "did not want him in my neighborhood" because of your lifestyle? Typical.

People like you are the "hobbyist" gun owners who would reluctantly turn in their guns if so ordered, only to find another hobby in a few days.
Hope you like building little ships in a bottle, tory.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That reason is guns kept in the home for self-protection are 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill in self-defense.?

Maybe , kill in self defense, but only 3% of the time a gun is used in self defense is a shot even fired, much less kill the attacker.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I frankly can't believe some of the answers I am reading. Some of you are already sheeple, and have gone to the dark side. You just don't know it yet.
Some snoop contractor looks in a window, sees a gun and calls the cops. Cops come, weasel their way in to snoop and Guy is charged with multiple felonys and is f---ed for life. NOTHING bad happened with the guns and they were unloaded. Yet some of you are completely fine with what happened. Sad, just sad.

From what I can see in my area, most firearm accidents seem to be with people or parents who are unable to own guns because of past convictions and the firearms are either stolen or "just appeared"  with Unkie Jonnie when he shacked up with momma.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

<snip>

Here is a link to last week's local shooting involving a 13 year old who shot his 14 year old buddy over 25 cents, with Mom's gun.  

<snip>

That reason is guns kept in the home for self-protection are 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill in self-defense.   Even if the ratio was 2 to 1, the odds are still dangerously against you.

Every time one of these kids kills someone, or gets killed, the noose will get tighter on our rights.  These laws exist not to sell safes, they exist because children do kill children and themselves with Dad's gun on a regular basis.  This is a very serious matter.

Even if stats on this link were off by 50% <- there are just way too many preventable deaths right here.

Holy shit.
Did your mother feed you lead paint as a kid instead of breast feeding you?
"A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to kill a friend or family member?"
You must be simple...

As for the two links you posted...
Link #1
I know I might catch some heat for this but...this is obviously not your "average" family here.
Mother of the shooter has the last name "Mitchell"
The shooter's last name is "Hamilton"
Sounds like a "baby's momma" if you follow me.
People shooting each other over 25 cents is nothing new in the ghetto.

Link#2

That's really all I can muster when someone on a gun board posts a link to a site that recommends this

The best way to protect children against gun violence is to remove all guns from the home.

As a gun safety tip.
OH WAIT!
Let's look down the bottom

More information about gun safety issues and guidelines is available from

The Brady Center to Prevent Handgun Violence
1225 I Street, N.W., Suite 1100
Washington, D.C. 20005

Who the fuck are you?
You quoted the fucking BRADY BUNCH about gun safety issues?
What guns do you own?
A fucking .22 and a .38?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I doubt Dad is going to do any time because he was in fact not present.  Maybe he will because he was the true owner and that is who the law says should take the fall.  I do not know the specifics and  I am not a lawyer

On the other hand, charging Mom probably would have been inappropriate.  I know I would rather take the responsibility than let my wife hang for me.

This will maybe get tossed  because Dad wasn't present, or he will plea to a lessor charge, but in the meantime it has brought some more awareness through the publicity it has gained.  The law has the intention of stopping people from being dangerous, one way or another.

Maybe somewhere a firearm is now getting properly secured, and sorry to say the reason may be more of a "I don't need no felony charge", rather than "jeez, that just makes frickin' sense".

I believe that a loaded firearm, in a fast access safe, is more useful than an "unloaded" firearm by my side.  That is how we operate, and since we know it is loaded, there is no question about it being "unloaded", or where it is when we need it, or who has access to it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I trust my 4 y.o. daughter to not touch a firearm if she comes across one ANYWHERE !  I have drilled her about this since the time she knew what NO TOUCH! meant.

She has had toy guns since she was old enough to play with them and she knows the difference between them and real guns.  I have tested her.

She knows that I enjoy shooting .  She goes to the local range when I shoot and I plan on getting her a pink Chipmunk .22lr for her 5th birthday ( it will be her 3rd rifle, she already has a Polytech AK & a pink CavArms AR ) and will squeeze off her first round on her 5th birthday.

Even though I trust her I DO NOT trust other children.  Most have no home-training when it comes to firearms and will only want to "PLAY" with any firearm they encounter.  We know what happens sometimes when this occurs.  

I always have at least one firearm accessible by me ( handgun or shotgun ) the rest are LOCKED away in a gunsafe.  I never leave the house without my carry piece and I do not leave firearms loose in the house when I leave.  They are all secured in the safe when I leave.  

I would feel pretty shitty if some innocent individual or family was killed with a firearm that was stolen from my house because the gun was just easy-pickings, laying in a corner for a criminal to pick up.  

I believe that, as gunowners, we have a responsibility to keep firearms inaccessible to children ( as well as teach, preach and train our children about firearms ) and to secure our firearms from theft by criminals.  Leaving firearms stuck in every corner and just sitting in closets is not responsible.

My father kept his 12 gauge and 30.06 in his closet and told me that if I touched them he would tear off my arm and beat me with the bloody end...    that worked for me until I was around 14-15 and I snuck them out of the house and went shooting with HermanSnerd and some other friends.  Heh, that was 21 years ago...   damn time flies.  To this day my father does not know that I snuck his guns out.

I have no problem if you believe your children are safe around your firearms but Mr. Robicheau had his firearms accessible to children other than his own.

I am sure if the Mrs. decided to leave that she would not have done anything about relocating the firearms to a more hidden area.  If a criminal broke in the firearms would be as good as gone.

Not responsible at all...

I do believe a felony is way to harsh, but I do think that something should be done to encourage
people to be more responsible.  

Also, my wife knows not to allow govt types into the house without a warrant.

Do you trust others children around your firearms ?  

If your house is broken into, how many of your guns are behind a locked steel door or hidden so well that criminals would not find them?

CLOSETS, BEHIND DOORS, UNDER BEDS or MATRESSES or COUCHES does not count.  If you have firearms in these places they are as good as stolen if your house is broken into no matter how much "stuff" you have camoflaging them.

Be responsible, buy a good safe.  Bigger the better

LB
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What's your point bud.

There are over 17,000 automobile deaths a year with alcohol involved, do you advocate a breath test before driving a car or is just guns that need to be kept safe?

The comon sense of keeping a child from handling a weapon isn't in question here.  The felony legislation of it is.

Point is, is that anytime something bad happens, a child is killed by a gun or a wreck, people wail and cry, "There ought'a be a law", and we leave the door open to be legislated either by politicians, judges or the common cop on the street. We have asked for this, some by crying for it, and others by turning a deaf ear to what is going on and saying it can't happen here. Well guys, it has happened here and there's not a damned thing we can do but but accept it. Even in Texas, it is against the law to leave a firearm unsecured when children are in the house. Gun owners have let the soccer moms and antis set the rules for the game, and now we are paying the price.

I agree it's nuts for the "system" to be involved with how we store our guns, but they are. Now either play by thier rules or lose your rights.

Now I have to go, my 16 year old is standing here draging me out to go to a gun show.  fullclip
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I would make extra sure the check bounced for the contractor.  

Right before I fired him.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top