Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what to take away from this other than what I've believed for decades, and that is "Never have a gun in your hand when the cops arrive". Put it in the holster, in your waistband, in a pocket, etc, etc, raise your hands and tell the cops where it is. If all else fails, put it on the ground at your feet when they drive up. But never, ever have it in your hands. And they still may shoot you, but the odds get better without a gun in your hand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shooting the guy without a gun because someone else has a gun?  Did they even shoot the perp?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
It's actually a valid point.
Shooting the guy without a gun because someone else has a gun?  Did they even shoot the perp?
I can see where the officer(s) on scene might have thought that Becker was was complicit in the armed robbery. Both were armed when they got there. I wonder what info was relayed to the police once they were on scene and giving him commands. Once the actual armed robber started shooting at the police, as reported in the article, it seems everything turned to crap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
I can see where the officer(s) on scene might have thought that Becker was was complicit in the armed robbery. Both were armed when they got there. I wonder what info was relayed to the police once they were on scene and giving him commands. Once the actual armed robber started shooting at the police, as reported in the article, it seems everything turned to crap.
With millions having carry permits or unlicensed carry civilians on the scene with a gun should be expected.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
wrong post
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
wrong post
If he was really shot standing there with his hands in the air, I don't see where it matters whether he was the good guy, bad guy or some random guy walking by. It's still a bad shoot and someone needs to do a lot of jail time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With millions having carry permits or unlicensed carry civilians on the scene with a gun should be expected.
View Quote
Agreed, but maybe with hundred of millions of people having a cell phones, passing information on to the cops should happen too?

People have called the police.

Wife also calls her husband who runs, armed, to the store.

Maybe she should have told someone to tell the cops that too?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Agreed, but maybe with hundred of millions of people having a cell phones, passing information on to the cops should happen too?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It always easy to blame the amateurs when the "pros" shit the bed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If he was really shot standing there with his hands in the air, I don't see where it matters whether he was the good guy, bad guy or some random guy walking by. It's still a bad shoot and someone needs to do a lot of jail time.
View Quote
As I said earlier, I agree the shooting needs to be investigated and the actions reviewed for their being correct and necessary.

So far all we have is some video from across the street, shot from a car after the shooting happened while music is being played in the car.

We also have the witnesses who said the cops shot him with his hands up and the gun dropped.  Of course some witnesses also told the wife that the cops had just killed her husband.

Can we say it a bad shoot and is all on the cops at this point or possibly an incident that may have happened with bad tactics by the cops and the armed citizen?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The cop who did the shooting is probably being recruited by the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team as we speak!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don’t be lazy OP.

When police arrived minutes later, witnesses said, Becker dropped his handgun, raised his hands — and then an officer with a rifle shot him in the hip.

The gunman Becker confronted was initially concealed from police behind a cooler, said Raymond Watts, 28. The Kansas City man said he was in a vehicle with his two children on 23rd Street near the store.

“I was figuring, ‘How the hell do they shoot him?’ He never pointed a gun at the cops,” Watts said. “He complied with everything they said … and then you heard a pop.”

Gunfire then broke out between police and the gunman, who was wounded, said Watts and his girlfriend, Whitney Thomas of Raytown.

No officers were injured.

Whitney Thomas, also told the Kansas City Star that Becker’s gun was clearly on the ground at the time police opened fire. “His gun was on the ground. He didn’t have it in his hands any longer,” she said.

“I understand as police you have to put your life on the line … but to take it into your own judgment to shoot an innocent man when he didn’t fit the description?” Thomas added.

Some of those that Becker saved were shouting at the police officers that they had shot an innocent man, and Becker’s wife, Amber, said that some were mentioning to her daughter that her father was shot and killed.

Both Becker and the robber were wearing two different color jackets and while Becker is heavier, the gunman was much more slender. Becker complied with the orders to drop his weapon as the other man proceeded to fire at police.

John Syme, a spokesman with the Independence Police Department, would not say much on Saturday except that police responded to a call of an armed robber and that when they got there both men were armed.

Sounds to me like we have a trigger happy policeman looking for a reason to shoot his rifle.

In a followup story, The Star reported:

Investigators canvassed the area for surveillance footage from surrounding businesses. An employee at the nearby Church’s Chicken, located across the street from the Dollar General, said police had obtained video from the restaurant.

Syme said any dashcam footage or business surveillance footage would likely not be released to the public “to preserve the integrity of the investigation.”

Independence officers are not equipped with body cameras, he added.

Well, dashcam footage should really be enough, don’t you think?

Will the truth actually come out in what took place here?  Watch the video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dh3T76LF5c
In this case, I don't find it hard to believe he had his hands up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
wow.  maybe the cops were mad that this citizen did their job for them.
View Quote
Union thugs taken care of scabs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
You may not like it, but if you carry a gun and in situations where you are not ambushed and taken by surprise, but respond to a call for help with an armed man, it really may be the time to practice whatever planning, scenarios or logical steps you have thought about in the past before you decided to carry or grab a gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Mesa, Wichita, Tennessee and now Missouri. It's like it's open season on us.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You may not like it, but if you carry a gun and in situations where you are not ambushed and taken by surprise, but respond to a call for help with an armed man, it really may be the time to practice whatever planning, scenarios or logical steps you have thought about in the past before you decided to carry or grab a gun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people would figure dropping the gun and putting your hands up would be sufficient to keep from getting shot by the police.  What other steps do you recommend besides letting dude kill your family while waiting 3 to 30 minutes for the police to show up?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel like if I were at that dollar store, I'da had to start throwing lead back.  There is a certain point where someone will snap. Getting shot by the cops while unarmed, hands in the air, and complying with orders is probably that 'certain point' for me.

Cop should be put under the jail...or maybe in general population wearing a shirt that says "I was a cop and put some of you in here"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gonna get paid.
View Quote
Just need to decide on color of custom-ordered Lamborghini.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
When is the public going to have enough of the police shooting innocent unarmed good guys.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
This "shoot first, ask questions later" attitude by cops is eventually going to bite them in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shooting cop should be charged just as if roles were reversed and the citizen accidentally shot the cop.
View Quote
I get that the police have a tough and thankless job, but why are they allowed to get away (in a matter of speaking) with this even with the training they have?
Not being a dick, just curious.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#20]
isolated incident.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No, this is not Ferguson, Missouri.  It’s Independence, and it’s not a young black man, it’s a white husband and father.

Mike Becker, 31, saved his wife, his daughter at about 30 strangers at a Dollar General from an armed robber on Tuesday.

Becker’s wife called him to inform him that a man with a gun was threatening the patrons.

Mr. Becker arrived on the scene to discover the armed man beating on the glass doors while the people inside were huddled near the back.  He then drew his gun and rushed to put himself between the man and the people inside.

“The only thing in my mind was my baby and wife,” he said. “There was no way the gunman was getting in that store.”

The Kansas City Star reports what happened next.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2018/02/08/missouri-father-saves-wife-daughter-30-strangers-from-armed-robber-cops-show-up-shoot-him-with-hands-in-the-air/
View Quote
Dude...you DID NOT JUST CREATE A CLICKBAIT FUCKING FORUM POST:

"CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THE STORY!!"

Dude..dont' do that shit.  Tell us what happened.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only thing I have heard along those lines is some admins don't want cops getting any training outside the department or some official POST certified training.

The thought process was they don't want you using some technique you learned in some class that has not been vetted by official LE channels because then if you use it and get sued it's difficult to prove it is LE certified.
View Quote
This is perfectly defensible. I wouldn't fault anyone for having this opinion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Colin Noir's bullshit gets proven wrong yet again.
View Quote
Uhh what bullshit? Did I miss something about Colion Noir? I didnt see any BLM bs coming from him. What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
lucky he is still alive
View Quote
This.  The pelvis is a very bad area to get shot, let alone with a rifle round.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did the cop ND while covering the guy?

If he was compliant, dropped the gun and had his hands up the justifiable reasons to shoot him kind of diminish.
View Quote
Nah...you can shoot someone standing in a doorway without a weapon, you can shoot someone crawling on the floor with no visible weapon, you can shoot at newspaper ladies in a pickup and have no problems, so why not shoot this guy?  At least there was a gun nearby.  Maybe the guy looked down and the officer had to assume he was preparing to leap down and grab the gun.  You werent there so you dont know what the officer saw....
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Uhh what bullshit? Did I miss something about Colion Noir? I didnt see any BLM bs coming from him. What are you talking about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colin Noir's bullshit gets proven wrong yet again.
He made some YouTube video suggesting that cops shot some thug only because he was black.  He had to “keep it real, yo” and earn some street cred so he wouldn’t be labeled an Uncle Tom.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]
People said Mike Brown had his hands up when he was shot. We know that was not the case.
I'm wondering if it was a negligent discharge thanks to poor trigger safety.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It boils down to this:

Police are, for the most part, poorly trained.

They are held to dogshit standards (sometimes enforced by court orders because actual standards are "discriminatory") that would be considered deplorable for just about any other profession. In most states it takes more training time to become a fucking barber than it does to be someone who is issued a lethal weapon and arrest powers.

Baltimore just had 1/3 of its latest recruit class fail the final exams to become a police officer...but fuck it, we'll put them on the street anyway:

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter/news/1-3-baltimore-recruits-fail-final-academy-tests-so-they-get-rid-of-it-J81uinRV6kO2zEkquwm9aw

It is virtually guaranteed that the vast majority of those who failed those exams are women and/or racial minorities.

But fuck it, put them on the street anyway.

So here you have these poorly trained, poorly prepared individuals shoved into literally lethal situations. Situations full of ambiguity and bad information where they don't know who the good guys and bad guys are. Their training has been mostly dogshit. They know this. Because the second you are confronted with actual danger you can't fucking Stuart Smalley your way into handling it. You cannot bullshit yourself, not when shit gets real.

So these poorly trained people who do not have the skills to prevail in a real fight find themselves facing a real fight or the possibility of a real fight and they are not confident their dogshit skills will see them through.

This sets off a chain reaction of fucktardery.

See, a prepared, well-trained individual stays in the rational part of his/her mind. When shit is going sideways and they have a plan for this, they stay on that plan and they stay in the part of their brain that is capable of rationally thinking through a problem. This is why we spend shitloads of money weeding out the unsuitable and repeatedly exposing pilots to every possible fucked up scenario imaginable...so that when shit happens they stick to the part of their brain that is capable of recognizing, understanding, and appropriately reacting to new information.

We train combat medics by strapping down a pig, cutting its femoral artery and then making them actually stop the bleed. Why? Because the first time they experience arterial blood spray and a squirming squealing patient shouldn't be when a person's actual life is on the line.

For the most part, WE DO NOT DO THIS WITH POLICE OFFICERS.

We do not require them to demonstrate a high level of skill with a firearm before putting them on the street. We do not require them to demonstrate a high level of skill in combatives before putting them on the street. What scenario based training they do receive is often either far too soft with "red man" suits they hit weakly and get instant compliance from, or it's no-win scenarios that they end up shot with sims no matter what they do.

So these poorly trained, poorly prepared people are staring down the barrel of a situation that they do not believe they can handle...and that shifts them out of that rational part of the brain into the lizard brain. That angry walnut-sized area of your brain at the base of it that is responsible for one thing: KEEP. YOU. ALIVE.

If there is a gun in your hand when that part of your brain is all that is running, you will pull the trigger. A lot. And on the slightest provocation.

Most citizens are there when they use a gun in self defense...but this doesn't pose too much of a problem because they are in that state because they are the victim of a criminal assault. There's no question about it. Dude stuck a gun in their face. It makes for a simple decision tree.

Police officers are often in a very different circumstance. They have to go deal with potentially violent criminals without being the direct victim of hostility. And they have to routinely sort out the violent criminal actors from honest citizens who mean them no harm. When a situation starts to overwhelm them (which can be instantaneous) their panic program starts up and that thing on their hip isn't plan A or plan B or plan C, it's THE. PLAN. PERIOD.

...and so they shoot people. Sometimes people who need to be shot. Sometimes people who didn't need to be shot.

And that's just the deliberate shootings. That doesn't even count the accidental shootings that result from dogshit gun handling that isn't corrected. I know of examples of police officers who fired a weapon accidentally, narrowly missing causing a fatal wound to another police officer, who received no discipline whatsoever for gross negligence in handling a lethal weapon because the admin types were worried about a discrimination lawsuit.

You cannot have that kind of bullshit taking priority and still have competent professionals handling guns and potentially dangerous situations.

The only reason it isn't 100 times worse is because most bad guys are fucking pussies. If even another 25% of criminals hardens the fuck up tomorrow society will be a fucking bloodbath.  
View Quote
This is a very good post. Not all of it I agree with but most of it is gold. Too many people say that cops need more training but think that classroom classes on hot topics will fix it.

Even the states that require a lot of initial training still do poorly on tactical training. They spend the extra training time in the classroom, basic gun skills, basic defensive tactics, but still just a day (or less) on simunitions. There are FATS simulators but it doesn't put the Officer under any real stress. It's not completely the academies fault either. States set mandatory requirements for training hours on different subjects. While important, many of the hours could be condensed to allow for better things if they weren't required by politics.

Its only going to get worse before it gets better. The number of applicants to agencies around my area is 1/4 to 1/2 of what they were just 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#30]
LEO should be held to higher standard.

A message needs to be sent....going home safety IS NOT why you were hired. Shooting law abiding gun owners that are defending innocent people should be dealt with harshly.

Wonder how many people on this board would like to be shot by a LEO if they were in this situation.

Wonder how many LEO's secretly would like to disarm the American public? I have know a few.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As I said earlier, I agree the shooting needs to be investigated and the actions reviewed for their being correct and necessary.

So far all we have is some video from across the street, shot from a car after the shooting happened while music is being played in the car.  

We also have the witnesses who said the cops shot him with his hands up and the gun dropped.  Of course some witnesses also told the wife that the cops had just killed her husband.

Can we say it a bad shoot and is all on the cops at this point or possibly an incident that may have happened with bad tactics by the cops and the armed citizen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For all I know from THAT video he could have been in a Godzilla costume jumping up and down twirling two Colt SAA.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If it was me and I wasn't hurt too bad, pay me $200-500k and we will call it even.

No lawyer etc just drop the money in my account, and have the Officer apologize.

Then after I am paid me and the Officer will go have a drink and laugh the entire thing off.

One thing I always worried about is stopping a robbery and get shot by mistake thinking I was the guy with a gun.
View Quote
Which is a very damned good reason to let Mr Thief rob the place if his doing so is not a direct threat to you and yours.

In this case there was a direct threat to the guy's family; he had no choice. But as long as you do, stay clear of things that will get you shot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shooting cop should be charged just as if roles were reversed and the citizen accidentally shot the cop.
View Quote
First degree reckless endangerment at the very least.  If joe blow who was doing his normal real life jb, "mistakenly" fucked someone else up even less, they would be charged.

Oh and I want a blood test of the occifer.  lets make sure he wasn't " impaired"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]
It was go time, somebody had to get shot
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shot him in the hip?

Calling it now, ND.
View Quote
Yup.  Probably sympathetic gunfire from the police shooting the other guy.  
He heard them shooting and instinctively pulled the trigger while having the gun aimed in the general direction of the husband.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The cop missed the COM shot by more than a foot, and shot an unarmed man who had his hands up.  That's some mighty fine police work in the "Show Me" state.  
View Quote
With a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Military? I only recall two incidents in the 4 years I was on active duty USMC. One guy in MCT ran to far and cheated to the right on a live fire excercise and took a tracer from a saw in the back of the elbow. I recall another incident where two marines had their M-16’s blow up on an excercise. They didn’t keep there muzzle up in a low crawl and filled their barrels with sand, then tried to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has been a huge problem for the military and police. It will continue, increasing with the increased number of CCWs.

Personally, I'm going to get an "INNOCENT BYSTANDER" T-shirt and call it good.
Military? I only recall two incidents in the 4 years I was on active duty USMC. One guy in MCT ran to far and cheated to the right on a live fire excercise and took a tracer from a saw in the back of the elbow. I recall another incident where two marines had their M-16’s blow up on an excercise. They didn’t keep there muzzle up in a low crawl and filled their barrels with sand, then tried to shoot.
Really?

Pat Tillman ring a bell?

Gazillions of dollars spent on BFT and iFF systems?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone should have called the cops letting them know he put his gun down? Didn't the police observe him doing so?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the officer deliberately shot an unarmed citizen who had his hands up, he needs some alone time.... in a cage. Prior to this, there should be a review of evidence to ensure no mistakes are made. City should pay for medical and civil damages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There wasn't any "accidentally" about it.

The cop shot him deliberately.  Mistakenly too, but it was not an accident.
If the officer deliberately shot an unarmed citizen who had his hands up, he needs some alone time.... in a cage. Prior to this, there should be a review of evidence to ensure no mistakes are made. City should pay for medical and civil damages.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I am curious how many other crimes were easily committed in the town as it appears every cop from the dept was there foaming at the mouth wanting to get some.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#44]
sounds like the cops were worse than useless and a bigger detriment to the community than even an armed robber
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#45]
40xb will be along to tell you that this was a good shoot shortly.   The fact that the citizen was armed at any point clearly shows that he was a threat.  The totality of the circumstances were that he could have been reaching for an invisible gun above his head.  A reasonable officer should smoke any citizen that was armed at any point.

No changes in policy needed here.

Cop went home safe - all good

Hifive.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Really?

Pat Tillman ring a bell?

Gazillions of dollars spent on BFT and iFF systems?
View Quote
You think Tillman was an accident?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup. Dumb motherfucker. He is going to go through hell for this fuck up, but I doubt he'll see prison time.

"Dumbass cop shoots hero who saves 30+ people from armed robber."

Whattaya wanna bet that this won't get anywhere near as much media attention as it would if the hero had been a black man?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He heard them shooting and instinctively pulled the trigger while having the gun aimed in the general direction of the husband.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shot him in the hip?

Calling it now, ND.

But maybe the cop had just graduated from the NYC PD shooting school.

Jus' Sayin'.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
40xb will be along to tell you that this was a good shoot shortly.   The fact that the citizen was armed at any point clearly shows that he was a threat.  The totality of the circumstances were that he could have been reaching for an invisible gun above his head.  A reasonable officer should smoke any citizen that was armed at any point.

No changes in policy needed here.

Cop went home safe - all good

Hifive.jpg
View Quote
You missed him by two or three pages.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top